• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Tucker Bounds continuing to be classy.

...and the Dow ticker starts dropping the moment his face shows up...coincidence? I THINK NOT

itschris

besada said:
Sight unseen, I predict they're claiming that his grandmother died a week ago and they've been holding back the news.

Some of them are actually saying Obama murdered her for sympathy votes.

Amir0x

Banned
:lol @ Tucker

"I'm sure when we win tomorrow the Obama camp will be quick to congratulate us, and we're looking forward to that."

God to shut these people up will be so satisfying. I got a string of far right wacksites to hit up tomorrow night :D

Diablos

PhoenixDark said:
My gut is telling me PA is gonna fuck this up

This thing should be officially called before 1:30am right? My computer hasn't arrived yet so I'll be camping out in the school library :lol
Every single post I've seen you made lately says something to the effect of "omg he's going to lose PA." Stop it already.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Amir0x said:
:lol @ Tucker

"I'm sure when we win tomorrow the Obama camp will be quick to congratulate us, and we're looking forward to that."

God to shut these people up will be so satisfying. I got a string of far right wacksites to hit up tomorrow night :D
You would think this news would put the dogs to rest, but alas, they keep on biting.

GhaleonEB

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBIT_TOLBERT?SITE=VTBEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Obama's Nev. campaign director dies at 44

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Nevada director for Barack Obama's presidential campaign and a former top aide to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has died at 44.

Terence Tolbert died of a heart attack Sunday in Las Vegas, family spokesman Basil Smikle said Monday.

Tolbert was on leave from his job as the chief lobbyist for New York City's public schools at the state capital in Albany to work for the Democratic presidential nominee.

Obama spoke with Tolbert's widow, Freida Foster-Tolbert, to offer his condolences. In a statement, he called Tolbert "a strong force in this campaign, with a positive outlook that brought people together."

itschris

monchi-kun said:

Like this one:

pongonis said:
Please don't think I am not compassionate but I posted back when he made his emergency trip to Hawaii that granny would end up passing on right before the election. BO has no compassion for anyone and I would not put it past him to have contributed to her passing. I believe he was involved in the Donald Young murder as well. He is evil and he is going to take America down if he makes to the WH.

Guess what finally came today? My Obama magnet! I donated money for it on the night of the Republican convention when Sarah Palin was introduced.

Oh, man, what's this about Obama's grandma? How sad. (I'm sorry for your loss, too, rhfb.)

Fox318

glistenm said:
Jesus christ, wtf is wrong with those people.

I was gonna quote of their stupidities, but really, why.
palin2012avatar220.jpg

besada

Banned
itschris said:
Some of them are actually saying Obama murdered her for sympathy votes.

Imagine my astonishment. Those people went rushing past the crazy line months and months ago. They've been percolating in their own hate for so long that anything makes sense to them.

I eagerly await the utter destruction of their hopes tomorrow.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ben Smith has the statement from the Obama Campaign:

A statement from Obama and his sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng:

It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure.

Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
Going by PPP numbers, tomorrow's share would only have to edge up half a point or so to flip it, to 25%.

What do you mean edge up? So the black vote on Nov 4 would have to be 36%?

Snaku

Banned
adamsappel said:
Guess what finally came today? My Obama magnet! I donated money for it on the night of the Republican convention when Sarah Palin was introduced.

I still haven't gotten mine. :(

lol at this McCain spokesman on MSNBC before:
"When we win the election tomorrow, we shall look forward to the Obama campaign congratulating us on our victory."

Dead

well not really...yet
kkaabboomm said:
Obama found out about her death at 8am (local time wherever he woke up this morning).

He's been handling it well today I think
I'm sure he made his peace with the fact when he saw his Grandmother the other day. He knew it was coming. Same thing happened to me with my Grandfathers death.

adamsappel said:
I never got one but I don't really care. It is not like it would make a difference here in California where O will walk to an uncontested double-digit victory.

Red Scarlet

They're giving out stickers and signs now, I snagged a sticker (wonder if I was supposed to pay, no one was standing around with them).

WaltJay

Dax01 said:
What's the difference between a tax cut and a tax credit?

I think cut is % based and a credit is a deduction based on your income.

Example with totally fake #'s

Tax cut
33% to 30% of your income

Tax credit
$1,000 deductible if you make less than $10,000/year

But that's just my guess!

Juror from Ted Stevens trial skipped out not because of family death, but to see a horse race:
RollCall said:
The juror who was dismissed from the criminal trial of Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) to attend the funeral of her father in California admitted Monday that her father had not died, and that she went to California to attend a horse race.
http://www.rollcall.com/news/29695-1.html

her story about crime and wiretaps and disheveled-ness apparently convinced the judge she wouldnt have been able to complete deliberations anyways because she's a fucking nutjob.

I wonder if anyone will make note of the interesting timing, what with Biden himself also having to deal with personal loss before a victory in the past.

WaltJay said:
I think cut is % based and a credit is a deduction based on your income.

Example with totally fake #'s

Tax cut
33% to 30% of your income

Tax credit
$1,000 deductible if you make less than $10,000/year

But that's just my guess!
So what would Obama's plan be?

kkaabboomm said:
Obama found out about her death at 8am (local time wherever he woke up this morning).

He's been handling it well today I think

Yeah. It sounded like he was a bit tired, but it looks like it was much worse.

Lemonz

EmCeeGramr said:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1108/Obamas_grandmother_dies.html

It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure.

Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer.

Damn, I was hoping she would make it to see Obama elected. Have fun up there, Honey.

610x.jpg

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Dax01 said:
What's the difference between a tax cut and a tax credit?

Tax cut is a reduction of the percentage that you get taxed. Say your taxes get reduced from 15% to 10%. Say your income is 1000 dollars per year. With a 15% tax rate, you'll owe 150 dollars in taxes. With a 10% rate, you'll owe $100.

Tax credit is a straight up dollar sum amount given to you. For example, if you owe 6000 dollars in taxes for the year, with a $4000 dollar tax credit, you will only owe $2000.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've got two questions.

1: What's the deal with these six hours waiting lines to vote? Aren't there plenty of schools and such facilities?

2: Why do I keep hearing this shit about wealth redistribution and the money going to the lazy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a whole lot of middle class people mentioning how "lazy people" are gonna get paid for doing nothing? Isn't the case more likely that it's the middle and lower class and in particular that are more likely to get into situations where they need some kind of welfare, due to unemployment or health issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom