• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
norinrad21 said:
McCain wins and the world will sink into a 6 year depression.

Obama wins and the world fights to get things on track, even with recession hanging around the corner.

Obama loses and the United States sinks into the ocean.

Obama wins and the sky will open up, angelic choirs will sing, and the world will be perfect.

jboldiga said:
My boss emailed me this earlier today I found it funny...

dwz1xc.jpg
Lolz. I'm not an atheist but I believe organized religion to be the bane of society.

I'm off to bed. Tomorrow I give a speech, drink a beer for our new kickass black militant overlord, and play Resistance 2 until my eye bleed.
I turned in all the mail-in ballots a wek ago so I should be ok. Thanks to the help of ACORN I was able to illegally resister both of my ferrets, but all they did was take a crap on the ballots, which I believe is counted as a vote for Nader :D
Gonna be a GOOOOOD day tomorrow people.

KHarvey16

jboldiga said:

dwz1xc.jpg

It's funny and then sad...but then funny again when I realize Alice Shannon will likely die young in a terrible accident involving a curling iron and those pointy things you put on the ends of corn on the cob to eat it with.

segarr

Is Ralph Nader even running this time? On CNN they just showed the notch result board with his name on it. Is he running for the Green Party or has he broken from them? I had thought that the Green Party had that Cynthia McKinney (spelling?) running.

Red Scarlet said:
Click on the map in the first post of the topic for a timezone map of when polls start closing. According to the tv, I guess it will start being around 7pm Eastern when they will start bringing out called states and stuff (someone correct me if incorrect).

Indiana and Kentucky start coming in at 6PM EST. Look for the county-by-county returns in Baron Hill's House district (IN-9) in Southern Indiana-Obama won't win there, but if he is keeping it pretty close he's in VERY good shape for the rest of the state, and likely the rest of the election overall. Also watch the Souder House District in NE Indiana, this is a very red seat that is shockingly close. If it does start to trend towards the challenger Montagano, it could mean that the upper range of the Dem tide could be coming in.

Also, of course, there is Kentucky Senate race-watch Jefferson and Fayette counties-specifically if the margins get higher than 60/40 or so in them it's going to be a bit before they can call it for McConnell, which doesn't bode well in general for the GOP.

Tamanon

Banned
segarr said:
Is Ralph Nader even running this time? On CNN they just showed the notch result board with his name on it. Is he running for the Green Party or has he broken from them? I had thought that the Green Party had that Cynthia McKinney (spelling?) running.

He's running as an independent. McKinney is the Green candidate.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
"I heard this peace of advice on the radio this
morning... And thought that it makes sense.

That Everyone Needs to get there McCain
Sign's/Stickers down that way you are not a target..

Because If BO Loses then things could get Very
bad and the BO People might want to take there
anger out on your personal property. "

GaimeGuy said:
A few hours ago, some obama campaign volunteers knocked on our door to remind us to vote tomorrow.

I live in a 4-person apartment on the University of Minnesota campus.

None of my roommates plan on voting (they say it will be a waste of their time since Obama's got this locked up).

They have the time to watch all the debates and follow the primaries, but not to fucking go two blocks over and vote. go figure. Lazy bastards.

I've tried convincing them to vote but they're not budging. Urgh.

Franken's seat is essential to a strong Obama administration-the difference between, say, a 56 seat majority and 59 seat one is very large.

Shins

Banned
jboldiga said:
What bothers me about this is how little value is placed on just how discriminated against atheists and agnostics are. I stand up and defend equality for gays and minorities, and I know many that do the same. If nothing else, many pay lip-service to the need for equality for those groups. But its a rarity in my personal experience to find people willing to accept my beliefs on religion (or the lack thereof).

Another decade or two, maybe.

Fragamemnon said:
Franken's seat is essential to a strong Obama administration-the difference between, say, a 56 seat majority and 59 seat one is very large.

Some people are just too lazy to care. If you weren't motivated after 8 years of Bush I think almost nothing would motivate certain people.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
"You must believe"

That kind of implies that Freedom of Speech means I'm not allowed to ever shut up. :lol :lol :lol

Nabs

DeathNote said:

:lol i love rr

Gary Whitta said:
Wow those new McCain and Palin bits they recorded for tonight's SNL both bombed hard. Was there a single laugh between them?

I only saw the Palin one, but I found it rather creepy and unsettling. I'm thinking that was intentional.

Ela Hadrun said:
"You must believe"

That kind of implies that Freedom of Speech means I'm not allowed to ever shut up. :lol :lol :lol

I guess by her logic as long as you believe in something (SPACE DINOSAURS) then its ok.

Space Dinosaurs 2009 BELIEVE

DeathNote said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby Poll: Final: Obama in Double-Digit Lead, 54% to 43%

O:54.1
M:42.7

Pollster John Zogby: "Obviously anything can happen on Election Day, but Americans want change and it seems very clear that the historic candidacy of Sen. Obama defines that change."

If this turns out to be the stunning victory for Obama, he will have done it with large leads among independents (24 points), women (20 points), moderates (32%) and those who registered to vote in the last six months (30 points). He also wins 91% support from Democrats and leads in nearly every age group with the exception of those age 55 to 69, where McCain leads by just a half point.

McCain holds the support of 85% of Republicans and 73% of conservatives. He also leads by 7 points among whites.

EDIT: damn beaten by seconds.

It's been great the past few days listening to the right-wing windbags like Hannity continuing to unravel and bleating more and more about how poll numbers cannot be believed. BITTER TEARS MOTHERFUCKERS!

ToxicAdam

Al Gore ran away from an incredibly popular President in 2000. John McCain clung to a horribly unpopular President in 2008.

:lol

SoulPlaya

more money than God
McCain wins and things get slightly worse (or stay the same).
Obama wins and things get slightly better.

Obama it is.

Nabs said:
SPIN THIS. :lol
Haven't you been listening to Dick Morris? Nobody knows anything and it's basically a dead heat. LOL. Can't wait to see all these fuckers spinning the results tomorrow as they start to lock down and their fantasies about a McCain upset slip away before their eyes. In fact fuck HD, I may just watch Fox News all day tomorrow for the lulz.

Tamanon

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Al Gore ran away from an incredibly popular President in 2000. John McCain clung to a horribly unpopular President in 2008.

:lol

Yup, he'd at least have a shot if he had come out against the bailout. Or actually had something resembling a different economic plan.

Seth C

Fragamemnon said:
Indiana and Kentucky start coming in at 6PM EST. Look for the county-by-county returns in Baron Hill's House district (IN-9) in Southern Indiana-Obama won't win there, but if he is keeping it pretty close he's in VERY good shape for the rest of the state, and likely the rest of the election overall. Also watch the Souder House District in NE Indiana, this is a very red seat that is shockingly close. If it does start to trend towards the challenger Montagano, it could mean that the upper range of the Dem tide could be coming in.

Also, of course, there is Kentucky Senate race-watch Jefferson and Fayette counties-specifically if the margins get higher than 60/40 or so in them it's going to be a bit before they can call it for McConnell, which doesn't bode well in general for the GOP.

It isn't just important to watch the percentages in those two counties in Kentucky, but also the turnout. Fayette and Jefferson counties combined represent fully 25% of Kentucky's population. If our GOTV campaigns here have been as effective as we hope, then a lopsided victory here and in Louisville for Obama or Lunsford could actually make either or both of those elections close, statewide.

To give some idea, Fayette county had a great voter turnout in 2004, I believe 67%. Some people in the local Democratic party think we will see turnout here well above 70% and perhaps approaching 80%. If that happens in both counties, things could get crazy.

hammer.gif

what's this from?

I wish there was somewhere on the web I could go to find major meltdowns people collect tomorrow and the rest of this week. I can't read sites like freerepublic for very long before getting upset.

ToxicAdam

Dammit, all of these late results are wanting me to change my predictions.

Must .. stay .. strong.

It's probably a bad sign when Karl Rove gives more EV's to Obama than you did.

Chris R

Game-Biz said:
That's obviously a joke letter. Right? I'm sure it is.
Could be a joke, for one thing, it isn't from the ADN. Don't know what papers they have on the Kenai Peninsula but that might be from one of those papers, since that is where the Kenai River and Soldotna are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom