• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
laserbeam said:
The Dems lose the arguement on her being Big Oil friendly pretty fast when she was a Major mover behind a 25% tax on Oil Company Profits.

Not even the feds are willing to go to bat for that.

Wouldn't that help Obama? "Hey McCain, even your VP supports my energy policy!"

pxleyes

Banned
laserbeam said:
The Dems lose the arguement on her being Big Oil friendly pretty fast when she was a Major mover behind a 25% tax on Oil Company Profits.

Not even the feds are willing to go to bat for that.
McCain loses the argument that the windfall taxes wont work though.

Hasn't the phrase "one heartbeat away from the presidency" been around FOREVER?

Besides, it's a completely valid fucking point when the candidate is 72 and survived two battles with cancer.

Tamanon

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
obama is not 72 with a cancer history though. they're not insinuating that he will be assassinated.

And either way, "a heartbeat away" is used every election as one of those VP tests.

Gremmie4

Battlezone said:
I don't like where they're going with this "a heartbeat away" stuff. Can you imagine the uproar around here if the McCain campaign started hinting around about something "happening" to Obama?

That's what makes this pick so beautiful for Dems. Now, McCain's age is actually a very important issue that cannot be swept under the rug. Bringing that up on Obama would be a problem become it would most likely happen by unnatural causes, whereas McCain is old and has a history of health problems. It's now an issue that McCain will not be able to ignore.

Choosing someone tied to the Ted Stevens Alaska Republican party and all of its massive corruption, with a corruption scandal of their own... and who's only been in office as governor for 1 1/2 years, with no significant prior experience (small-town mayor is it)? Wow.

I think that it's very clear that McCain wanted to pick Joe Lieberman, but wasn't allowed to because he's pro-choice. So they went back and tried to find someone who was a social conservative and would satisfy the religious right (good pick here then, she's a creationist, anti-abortion religious right type), yet whom they could credibly say "McCain is a maverick" with... so they chose a woman. Not one of the more prominent Republican women either, for some reason... I mean, aren't there more experienced choices than Sarah Palin in the Republican party (there are)? Maybe they just didn't want the job... whatever the reason, that was the clear reasoning.

The question is, what will it mean? Well, it means that Biden is going to almost certainly have a crushing victory in the VP debate, I'd say... someone with such a complete lack of experience just isn't going to be able to compete. And it may hurt among some in the Republican base who are anti-female and don't want to vote for a ticket with a woman on it... the question there is whether that hurt will be more or less than the probable benefit among some undecideds who go with McCain because he chose a woman (or because it reinforces their delusions that he's actually still a maverick).

Oh yeah, and her husband works for BP, and is an advocate for drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. And her Lieutenant Governor, Parnell, just ran for Congress (House of Representatives), running against many-term indited Republican Don Young... and Parnell seems to have lost a very close race in the primary a few days ago.

Democrats are already saying that this is the least qualified VP pick since Dan Quayle and that she may even exceed Quayle's level of inexperience... "Do you really want someone that inexperienced (and on the radical fringe culturally) a heartbeat away from the presidency with a 72-year old man in that seat?"

I do hope that the Democratic party, at least, will have no hints of attacking her for her gender... there will probably be more than enough of that from the radical right, sadly. She should be attacked for her inexperience and policy positions, not gender.

laserbeam

Banned
Frank the Great said:
Hasn't the phrase "one heartbeat away from the presidency" been around FOREVER?

Besides, it's a completely valid fucking point when the candidate is 72 and survived two battles with cancer.
I dunno if its valid or not. Tim Russert died in his 50s. Life is fragile no matter what age.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
reilo said:
Wouldn't that help Obama? "Hey McCain, even your VP supports my energy policy!"

Not really, because now Obama is for McCain's energy plan which was initially pretty much the same as Obama's plus atomic energy and offshore drilling, both things now on the Obama platform.

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Not really, because now Obama is for McCain's energy plan which was initially pretty much the same as Obama's plus atomic energy and offshore drilling, both things now on the Obama platform.

Um, are you sure you know McCain's energy plan?:p

laserbeam said:
I dunno if its valid or not. Tim Russert died in his 50s. Life is fragile no matter what age.
Right. So clearly, someone in his 70s is no more likely to die soon than is someone in his 50s or 40s, all else being equal. FRAGILE AT ANY AGE.

pxleyes

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
That makes no sense at all.

Odrion

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
I think this would be the only redeeming factor of this situation occuring. Every man in American would unanimously agree that they have one total bangin' milf for their president.

reilo

UltimaKilo said:

cnh.gif

greepoman

Battlezone said:
I don't like where they're going with this "a heartbeat away" stuff. Can you imagine the uproar around here if the McCain campaign started hinting around about something "happening" to Obama?

I don't like the "a heartbeat away" cause it doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain what the original of the saying is supposed to mean cause people are using it more like "she's a non-heartbeat away" i.e. "if mccain's heart stops beating she's president".

C.Dark.DN

Banned
lot of strategical analysis in this thread... not much getting motivated to go out and convince people to vote in general and or for your candidate of choice.

Gaborn

pxleyes said:
We have a system for a reason. Abuse of power does not outweigh the issues this guy may have had.

We also have a system for determining whether there WAS or WAS NOT abuse of power. Also, were you saying that during Clinton's impeachment?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
A Black Falcon said:
Choosing someone tied to the Ted Stevens Alaska Republican party and all of its massive corruption, with a corruption scandal of their own... and who's only been in office as governor for 1 1/2 years, with no significant prior experience (small-town mayor is it)? Wow.

geez...

Her single and most defining accolade is taking apart most of that corruption, thats why her state loves her so much.

reilo

greepoman said:
I don't like the "a heartbeat away" cause it doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain what the original of the saying is supposed to mean cause people are using it more like "she's a non-heartbeat away" i.e. "if mccain's heart stops beating she's president".

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa010198.htm

Article is from 1998 and explains why presidential succession is important.

Chris R

greepoman said:
In the span of a single heartbeat she could be the President. You can either look at it as a time span, or that some upcoming heartbeat will be McCain's last.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Odrion said:
I think this would be the only redeeming factor of this situation occuring. Every man in American would unanimously agree that they have one total bangin' milf for their president.

Yeah it sucks but a part of me wants Mccain to win so I can see her all the time :/

Shiggie

UltimaKilo said:
LOL_WHUT_by_snookie_pudge.jpg

reilo

Also, Barack Obama beat out the biggest female politician of our time during the primaries. Does McCain really believe that selecting an unknown like Palin would really bring Obama down a notch?

If Hillary CLINTON could not do it, what makes people think Palin would?

Door2Dawn

Banned
reilo said:
Also, Barack Obama beat out the biggest female politician of our time during the primaries. Does McCain really believe that selecting an unknown like Palin would really bring Obama down a notch?

Shes conservative. So she wins.

laserbeam said:
:lol

I know a kid that died of cancer at age 7 and some old people, so clearly the probability of death has no correlation to age. :lol

A Black Falcon said:

I think that it's very clear that McCain wanted to pick Joe Lieberman, but wasn't allowed to because he's pro-choice. So they went back and tried to find someone who was a social conservative and would satisfy the religious right (good pick here then, she's a creationist, anti-abortion religious right type), yet whom they could credibly say "McCain is a maverick" with... so they chose a woman. Not one of the more prominent Republican women either, for some reason... I mean, aren't there more experienced choices than Sarah Palin in the Republican party (there are)? Maybe they just didn't want the job... whatever the reason, that was the clear reasoning.

The question is, what will it mean? Well, it means that Biden is going to almost certainly have a crushing victory in the VP debate, I'd say... someone with such a complete lack of experience just isn't going to be able to compete. And it may hurt among some in the Republican base who are anti-female and don't want to vote for a ticket with a woman on it... the question there is whether that hurt will be more or less than the probable benefit among some undecideds who go with McCain because he chose a woman (or because it reinforces their delusions that he's actually still a maverick).

Oh yeah, and her husband works for BP, and is an advocate for drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. And her Lieutenant Governor, Parnell, just ran for Congress (House of Representatives), running against many-term indited Republican Don Young... and Parnell seems to have lost a very close race in the primary a few days ago.

Democrats are already saying that this is the least qualified VP pick since Dan Quayle and that she may even exceed Quayle's level of inexperience... "Do you really want someone that inexperienced (and on the radical fringe culturally) a heartbeat away from the presidency with a 72-year old man in that seat?"

I do hope that the Democratic party, at least, will have no hints of attacking her for her gender... there will probably be more than enough of that from the radical right, sadly. She should be attacked for her inexperience and policy positions, not gender.

First off any ties to Stevens are minimal at best; she ousted one of his buddies to become governor, he gave her a half hearted party line endorsement, and she has criticized him during the investigation. And honestly, I don't think the Obama camp wants to open a discussion on personal or business connections to shady characters.

There was a sense that Hillary was "bullied" during the NH debate. Biden is a tough character and I think it would be smart to be forceful in the VP debate, but aim it at the main culprit: McCain.

Her husband is not an executive at BP, he works for BP. Considering you guys have defended Obama from attacks over him getting money from oil company employees it seems hypocritical to attack her for being married to someone who is an oil company employee. Lets be fair here

I get the impression that this frenzied reaction is meant to hide fear. I was initially taken back by the pick as well, especially considering how easily McCain changed all the media attention in a fell swoop (Romney would not have been able to do that). But as I said, this will either backfire HARD or signal the point where McCain won the election imo

besada

Banned
Battlezone said:

Well, you've got th oldest Presidential candidate in history, who is already over the median age for a dead guy, not including his numerous cancers. Anyone not worried about McCain croaking in office isn't paying attention to the statistics.

There's a pretty big difference between noticing a guy is at the edge of the statistical envelope for being alive, and hinting that someone's going to shoot the President.

reilo

alr1ghtstart said:
Has Hillary commented on it yet?

"Don't fall for it."

Cafferty: "We received 16,000 emails since the VP pick has been announced, and republicans won't like this."

He's reading emails now.

laserbeam

Banned
speculawyer said:

I know a kid that died of cancer at age 7 and some old people, so clearly the probability of death has no correlation to age. :lol
The point is McCain could live to be 102 and Obama could drop dead from a heart Attack tommorrow.

Chris R

A Black Falcon said:
believe he was talking more about this

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission,[13] where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.[14][6] After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican Party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail.[15] Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.[6]

JCreasy

Krowley said:
From what i heard, trooper gate involves a policeman who was

A) a wife beater
B) Physicaly abused a kid by tasering him
C) threatened her whole family with death

Assuming all that is true, do we really need cops like that? Do the dems want to go to bat for a guy like that by making an issue out of it?

well the fact that you're aware of that spin tells me there must be some legitimacy to the claims that she tried to get him fired. otherwise there'd be no need to provide talking points for damage control.

reilo

UltimaKilo said:
haha let me clarify... They are both for alternative energy, offshore drilling, capping emissions, nuclear energy, etc. They differ on investments and grants but they both want the same kinds on energy no that Obama supports offshore drilling and atomic energy.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/09/news/economy/candidates_energy/index.htm?section=money_latest

Obama only supports off-shore drilling if it was part of a comprehensive energy policy package. He also supports nuclear energy only if there is a safe way to enact it. He does not support any of this in the way you are making it out to be, so quit twisting his position on it.

DY_nasty said:
Her single and most defining accolade is taking apart most of that corruption, thats why her state loves her so much.
And that is very good . . . Alaska's GOP has been really corrupt . . . rivalling Ohio's GOP.

But this is why the Trooper-gate story kinda hurts her.

Here is one thing that I really dislike about her . . . she Vetoed a civil union rights type of bill for homosexuals. I don't think McCain, Bush, or even Cheney would do that!

vitaflo

reilo said:

This is where the "well Obama is inexperienced" argument doesn't fly. Obama took on the Clintons, the entrenched Dem establishment, and the PEOPLE still voted him to the nomination. That says a lot.

Palin was selected by one guy. The people had no say in if they think she's ready to lead or not until Nov. Obama's already been vetted by the american people (or at least the Dem ones).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
reilo said:

He is going to draw in disgruntled Clintonian women who were on the fence and thinking about McCain. It also helps with women overall and rural blue-collar workers.

Tarazet

laserbeam said:
The point is McCain could live to be 102 and Obama could drop dead from a heart Attack tommorrow.

Of course. But let's say you're in the life insurance business - what will you charge John and what will you charge Barack?

And at any rate, I'll gladly take Biden over some dumb bitch from bumfuck nowhere who won the lottery and wound up in a position where she has no right to be due to convenience to a desperate candidate.

Raistlin

speculawyer said:

for a second, my sarcasm detector broke ...

carry on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom