• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

3rdman said:
Jeez, people are stupid. Well, at least there is still plenty of time and the debates will be a great leveler.

I doubt it. McCain will do good enough to get by and that will be a win for him in the eyes of many.

I think it's going to come down to who has the better ground game. I think Obama needs to send Bill Clinton to West Virginia after he sends him to Florida.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
In 2005, McCain when defining the Bush Doctrine stated "pre-emptive strikes...have to be contemplated under certain scenarios". On January 5th, 2008, in response to a question from Charlie Gibson that asked the Republican Presidential candidates if they agreed with the Bush Doctrine, McCain said it was a "tough question" but he stated, "I agree with it [the Bush Doctrine i.e. preemptive strikes]." On 7/27/08, McCain was asked again about the Bush Doctrine and he said, "Do I favor it [pre-emptive war], no." He also emphasized that it is why a President must have knowledge and experience to make such a call.

Now, if Sarah Palin is truly qualified, then why doesn't she even know what it is? And if she doesn't, which is clear from last night's interview, she directly conflicts with John McCain's view that the Bush Doctrine can only be utilized by a President with "vast knowledge and experience". This is why her not knowing the Bush Doctrine is a big deal to me, regardless of which candidate I support. If a lipstick wearing hockey mom gets pissed, I want her to have "knowledge, experience, and background" to be able to decide on whether or not to initiate a preemptive strike under certain scenarios.

AniHawk said:
I doubt it. McCain will do good enough to get by and that will be a win for him in the eyes of many.

I agree totally.

That's why if the perception doesn't change, McCain will win.

Barring anything dramatic, it will be very hard to change people's minds at this point.

And the undecided pool is getting smaller everyday.

AniHawk

ZealousD said:
New Obama ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2I0t_Twk0

I'm not sure I like this...

They actually use "out of touch."

Nice. This needs to be a sticking theme now. McCain needs to be the
old
guy that's out of touch.

There also absolutely needs to be commercials about Obama's health care plan and economic plan for the middle class. A lot of people think he's going to raise their taxes to pay for universal health care. And he needs to keep the message simple.

Huzah

DenogginizerOS said:
In 2005, McCain when defining the Bush Doctrine stated "pre-emptive strikes...have to be contemplated under certain scenarios". On January 5th, 2008, in response to a question from Charlie Gibson that asked the Republican Presidential candidates if they agreed with the Bush Doctrine, McCain said it was a "tough question" but he stated, "I agree with it [the Bush Doctrine i.e. preemptive strikes]." On 7/27/08, McCain was asked again about the Bush Doctrine and he said, "Do I favor it [pre-emptive war], no." He also emphasized that it is why a President must have knowledge and experience to make such a call.

Now, if Sarah Palin is truly qualified, then why doesn't she even know what it is? And if she doesn't, which is clear from last night's interview, she directly conflicts with John McCain's view that the Bush Doctrine can only be utilized by a President with "vast knowledge and experience". This is why her not knowing the Bush Doctrine is a big deal to me, regardless of which candidate I support. If a lipstick wearing hockey mom gets pissed, I want her to have "vast knowledge and experience" to be able to decide on whether or not to initiate a preemptive strike under certain scenarios.

Sarah Palin does not have the require FP experience yet to be president which I agree. Now the hard part is, how much is this going to matter to voters?

Ok guys, it's 9 am here, and it's well past sleepy time.

It's been a lark. Have a good one all, and Huzah stay irritating and I may like you yet... just ask APF.

Huzah said:
Sarah Palin does not have the require FP experience yet to be president which I agree. Now the hard part is, how much is this going to matter to voters?

All joking aside, we like to debate Palin here but to your average Joe, it doen't matter much and I doubt it will turn anyone off from voting for McCain in the longrun.

DenogginizerOS

Huzah said:
McCain by chosing Sarah Palin put winning an election ahead of doing what is best for this country. If he truly vetted Palin, he would have realized she does not have the "knowledge, experience, and background" to be qualified to be a President executing a pre-emptive strike (the Bush Doctrine). If he feels 100% certain he is going to live through his first term, then that is one thing, but if he doesn't, it is clear he hasn't thought it out because by dying or becoming incapacitated, he will have put America in the hands of someone who, by his own definition, is not qualified to make the difficult decisions.

This goes to his judgement. If that doesn't matter to voters, then we are lost.

eznark

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
McCain by chosing Sarah Palin put winning an election ahead of doing what is best for this country. If he truly vetted Palin, he would have realized she does not have the "knowledge, experience, and background" to be qualified to be a President executing a pre-emptive strike (the Bush Doctrine). If he feels 100% certain he is going to live through his first term, then that is one thing, but if he doesn't, it is clear he hasn't thought it out because by dying or becoming incapacitated, he will have put America in the hands of someone who, by his own definition, is not qualified to make the difficult decisions.

I fully agree with that, but by the same token, I think the Democrats did the same by nominating Obama.

-Kees-

ZealousD said:
New Obama ad

First half: Not so Much.

Second half: Well....

I doubt this is their new "harder" stance. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think a much better ad can be made out of pointing out who runs his campaign and why they're running his campaign. I think the "more of the same" line has been sullied.

I don't think the Obama camp would do something like that though.

527s?

Edit: I'm all for painting McCain as out of touch. Making ads with Rubik's Cubes, disco balls and saying that he doesn't use E-Mail isn't the way to go.

Huzah

ZealousD said:
New Obama ad

Not sure how hard they want to hit on the Corp tax cuts meme, it's easily argueable that if we want to give relief to businessess and create more jobs we should lower their taxes so they have more capital to reinvest into their businesses.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/539.html

"In this paper, we explore how tax policies in fact affect a country’s growth rate, using cross-country data during 1970-1997. We find that statutory corporate tax rates are significantly negatively correlated with cross-sectional differences in average economic growth rates, controlling for various other determinants of economic growth, and other standard tax variables."

DenogginizerOS said:

"I'd rather lose an election, than lose a war."

"I'd rather win an election, than choose the most qualified candidate and leave America in good hands."

Country First.

AniHawk

eznark said:
He should hit it hard, it sells. People don't think through the implications, they just hate the idea of Big Oil skating on taxes.

Yep. 'Big Corporations' or 'Big Business' is the left's answer to the right's 'Big Government' in stirring up support.

DenogginizerOS

eznark said:
I fully agree with that, but by the same token, I think the Democrats did the same by nominating Obama.
Barack Obama had the judgement to speak out against the Iraq war before it started. Barack Obama said we should go after Bin Laden, if we have "actionable intelligence" even if it required going into Pakistan. At the time, McCain and Bush ridiculed this notion. Now, almost a year later, Bush is doing just what Obama suggested.

Obama has proven he has the ability to think through problems and has demonstrated that he is well ahead of the McCain's and Bush's on what we should do. While not perfect, he at least has demonstrated humility to admit when he is wrong but has the strength to learn from his mistakes and draw from his experiences, good and bad, to better this country. That is why Democrats nominated him.

syllogism

-Kees- said:

I think a much better ad can be made out of pointing out who runs his campaign and why they're running his campaign. I think the "more of the same" line has been sullied.

527s?

This probably is

http://thepage.time.com/2008/09/12/obama-ad-rips-mccain-on-lobbyist-ties/

eznark

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yep. 'Big Corporations' or 'Big Business' is the left's answer to the right's 'Big Government' in stirring up support.

exactly.

Barack Obama had the judgement to speak out against the Iraq war before it started. Barack Obama said we should go after Bin Laden, if we have "actionable intelligence" even if it required going into Pakistan. At the time, McCain and Bush ridiculed this notion. Now, almost a year later, Bush is doing just what Obama suggested.

was that literally cut and pasted from an Obama flier?

I'm speaking specifically to the "ready to lead" problem I have with Palin. That deficiency is shared with Obama.

The more responsible ticket for America in regards to foreign relations would be Biden-Obama, but that lacks the appeal.

Obama may turn out to be an excellent President, Palin could be the best VP ever, but neither has really shown anything that supports those assumptions.

Mahadev

Huzah said:
Not sure how hard they want to hit on the Corp tax cuts meme, it's easily argueable that if we want to give relief to businessess and create more jobs we should lower their taxes so they have more capital to reinvest into their businesses.

Yes of course. Because that has worked soooooooooo well with Bush we should expand it. Why can't some people learn from past mistakes?

eznark said:
I don't follow this point. He might lose the election, and some might argue after the fact that it was too soon to run. That's fine.

"But by that same token" really doesn't fit. Whether he truly deserves it or not by some impossible-to-define objectivity, he had to earn his spot on the top of the ticket. He didn't just get the spot handed to him by party elders in a smoke-filled room. He DID earn it.

rancor

Neo Member
i need to disassociate myself from this whole thing for a while. drastically lower expectations as obama probably won't win anyway and it'll be easier to take when he doesn't.

eznark

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
I don't follow this point. He might lose the election, and some might argue after the fact that it was too soon to run. That's fine.

"But by that same token" really doesn't fit. Whether he truly deserves it or not by some impossible-to-define objectivity, he had to earn his spot on the top of the ticket. He didn't just get the spot handed to him by party elders in a smoke-filled room. He DID earn it.

same token = experience/leadership deficiency.

Leave that to the 527s to bring up his infidelity.

yeah, the actual nominees should stay far away from that stuff. Leave it to McCain's own brilliant abominations (527's) to destroy him with negative ads. It would be hilarious.

Huzah

-Kees- said:

527s?

Edit: I'm all for painting McCain as out of touch. Making ads with Rubik's Cubes, disco balls and saying that he doesn't use E-Mail isn't the way to go.

Honestly, is Obama really trying to convince people McCain doesn't know how to use email or go online? Hoefully this isn't Obama new super strategy he's been talking about. Also, mentioning that McCain has been a senator for so long, that's probably going to play to a positive.

New email.

Francesco --

Help your friends Vote for Change You'd be surprised by how many people you know who aren't registered to vote.

Registration deadlines are coming up soon, and we need every single vote we can get to win this election.

Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to check out our new one-stop voter registration website.

Just forward this message.

VoteforChange.com makes it easier than ever to register. Instead of tracking down the right forms, all you need to do is answer a few basic questions and you'll be ready to vote. You can also:

* Confirm your existing registration
* Apply to vote absentee
* Find your polling place

If you don't know your own registration status or you'd like to learn more, take a minute to visit the site right now.

This race is too close and too important to stay home on Election Day.

If you take the time to register and vote -- and make sure everyone you know is registered as well -- we'll be able to turn the tide of the past eight years.

It's people just like you who will transform this nation.

Thanks,

Barack

One-stop voter registration website sounds awesome.

-Kees-

syllogism said:

I just remembered this from the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZHjRBeOC8s

He talked about all of McCain's lobbyist ties. I thought that it was good he was doing it but that he needs to put it in an ad and make it more personal. It's not just about lobbyists running a campaign, it's also about what it says about McCain.

That ad sounds like what I was talking about.

eznark said:

I don't think the parallels are quite that strong, really. That was a decision majorly influenced by events outside the central power structure of the Democratic Party, very much dissimilar with the decision to pick Palin as VP.

Unlike her, Obama's knowledge, background and even experience most certainly aren't decisively lacking. His level of experience in the state-wide and furthermore, nation-wide legislative process would dispel that. At this point, it would be highly doubtful that he would be someone incapable of doing a competent job of running the country as per the views of the Democrats. Again, as per a specific set of ideological and political views on how to govern the state.

eznark

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Nothing like an absolutely brutal news cycle for two days for John McCain to rally people to him.

We're fucked. :lol

nah, this is going to be Kennedy v. Nixon all over again. The debates will catapult the unproven/untested political newb ahead of the crusty ol' curmudgeon.

Does Obama has mob ties to solidify it?

I don't think the parallels are quite that strong, really. That was a decision majorly influenced by events outside the central power structure of the Democratic Party, very much dissimilar with the decision to pick Palin as VP.

I'm not comparing the reasoning/logic/strategy behind the nominations. I'm just saying neither has shown any indication they could be President. If making a "responsible" choice was paramount, then neither should be up there.

I'm not judging this as good or bad, mind you, just saying that the "Palin is a scary VP" argument rings false to me coming from Obama supporters. In my mind, they are both frightening when looking at experience.

AniHawk

eznark said:
nah, this is going to be Kennedy v. Nixon all over again. The debates will catapult the unproven/untested political newb ahead of the crusty ol' curmudgeon.

Does Obama has mob ties to solidify it?

Do the Germans have a mafia?

GhaleonEB said:
Nothing like an absolutely brutal news cycle for two days for John McCain to rally people to him.

We're fucked. :lol
Eh, I'm still cautiously optimistic that the McCain campaign is going to completely run out of steam. They're not going to win on the issues alone, and they're not going to beat Obama in the long-term as the quintessential 'Change' ticket.

Looking back at the Celebrity ads, McCain still doesn't have a message, but he does have buzz now. Maybe he can keep getting stories out there each and every day, winning on the narratives. Personally, though, I think this is going to end at some point.

Either that, or I completely lose faith in the Democratic party for being completely ineffectual.

DenogginizerOS

eznark said:
exactly.

was that literally cut and pasted from an Obama flier?

I'm speaking specifically to the "ready to lead" problem I have with Palin. That deficiency is shared with Obama.

The more responsible ticket for America in regards to foreign relations would be Biden-Obama, but that lacks the appeal.

Obama may turn out to be an excellent President, Palin could be the best VP ever, but neither has really shown anything that supports those assumptions.

No. I am an informed voter who has the capacity to articulate why I am supporting someone.

You say Obama and Biden is the "more responsible ticket for Americ in regards to foreign relations" but it "lacks appeal". What kind of appeal do you want in a ticket? An aged war veteran with ties to scandals (Keating Five) who choses a young, inexperienced, folksy, hockey mom turned governor who was a runner up in a beauty pageant and beleives God is dictating our actions in Iraq to be his running mate is better?

Obama has actually met with foreign dignitaries. So has Biden (many, many times). McCain most definitely has done this. But Palin states that her being able to see Russia from parts of Alaska is part of her foreign policy experience and incorrectly assumed that many of the Vice Presidents of the past had not met dignitaries when in fact most, if not all, have before entering office. Obama most definitely has teh ability to extrapolate what he has seen and heard and apply that to his viewpoints without needing lipstick to dress it up.

Huzah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom