• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
No. I am an informed voter who has the capacity to articulate why I am supporting someone.

You say Obama and Biden is the "more responsible ticket for Americ in regards to foreign relations" but it "lacks appeal". What kind of appeal do you want in a ticket? An aged war veteran with ties to scandals (Keating Five) who choses a young, inexperienced, folksy, hockey mom turned governor who was a runner up in a beauty pageant and beleives God is dictating our actions in Iraq to be his running mate is better?

Obama has actually met with foreign dignitaries. So has Biden (many, many times). McCain most definitely has done this. But Palin states that her being able to see Russia from parts of Alaska is part of her foreign policy experience and incorrectly assumed that many of the Vice Presidents of the past had not met dignitaries when in fact most, if not all, have before entering office. Obama most definitely has teh ability to extrapolate what he has seen and heard and apply that to his viewpoints without needing lipstick to dress it up.

Sorry, i was ribbing you over the "Barak Obama this. Barak Obama that."

And I said the Biden-Obama ticket (in that order) is the responsible choice, as Biden is clearly the more qualified candidate.

People severely underestimate Obama as a foreign relations asset. 200k people came to see him in Germany. Can the German government even get that many people to its own rally? That's some power right there.

That is a huge fucking asset in world negotiation.

Frank the Great said:
New email.

One-stop voter registration website sounds awesome.

I just used it to change my registration area. I was done in like a minute and it gave me a PDF to mail. It was exactly what I needed, actually.

gkryhewy

tanod said:
In Iowa, I've been seeing that ad for weeks.

You may be thinking of another, similar ad that also ends up with McCain in a face montage. I forget the details of that one. The lobbyist one is new, I think.

eznark

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
People severely underestimate Obama as a foreign relations asset. 200k people came to see him in Germany. Can the German government even get that many people to its own rally? That's some power right there.

That is a huge fucking asset in world negotiation.

well, Germans are known for enthusiastically supporting charismatic leaders. HA! Obama=Hitler! (McCain better pay me when he uses that in his next absurd ad)

eznark said:
nah, this is going to be Kennedy v. Nixon all over again. The debates will catapult the unproven/untested political newb ahead of the crusty ol' curmudgeon.

Does Obama has mob ties to solidify it?

I'm not comparing the reasoning/logic/strategy behind the nominations. I'm just saying neither has shown any indication they could be President. If making a "responsible" choice was paramount, then neither should be up there.

I'm not judging this as good or bad, mind you, just saying that the "Palin is a scary VP" argument rings false to me coming from Obama supporters. In my mind, they are both frightening when looking at experience.

-sigh- we still have people who try to equate palin experience to Obama's experience? Were you wringing your hands about experience in 92 or 2000?

Pakkidis

If I were Canadian I'd be miffed about how my country's giant-ass border with Alaska wasn't being spuriously cited as a source of foreign policy experience, but proximity to Russia was. I mean what are they, chopped liver?

If she tried to use Canada as an example, the Canadian Press who issue a statement to America "Who the fuck is Sarah Palin?"

Nuff said.

Rasmussen has always leaned conservative . I do not think it is reliable compared to Gallup which has been within margin or error the last 50 years.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
APF said:
scorcho: so we've invaded Iran and North Korea? The issue is muddled even in conservative / Republican circles, but I think I'm right viv what actually is "Bush Doctrine" vs ideas they've accepted as valid; saying you reserve the right to do something is not enshrining it as "doctrine," and further preemptive is different than preventative--which is the reason it being considered compulsory is a huge step in aggressive FP.
i disagree - saying that we reserve the right towards this specific action in light of an unspecified threat/situation is setting up a principal as to how we approach that threat/situation. also, that Bush never laid out the actual policy behind it and was hamstrung by a simmering quagmire in Iraq to actually implement this belief is irrelevant to the point as to what X person thinks of it. i still think it was a good question and phrased properly.

and while there is a distinction between preventive and preemption, the terms are pretty amorphous when discussing the Bush Doctrine (see first two sentences). i actually understand it in the reverse - the idea that countries have some right to launch a preventive war against immediate threats has been established for some time. the idea of unilateral preemptive strikes against nascent threats is new, and what was controversial about the 2002 NSS.

eznark

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
-sigh- we still have people who try to equate palin experience to Obama's experience? Were you wringing your hands about experience in 92 or 2000?

I'm not equating their experience. It was framed specifically in response to a question about making responsible choices for world leaders. Obama is more qualified than Palin, but there are many Democrats more qualified than Obama, which makes him a less responsible choice based on the terms of the previous discussion.

I'm not judging it to be good or bad, mind you, just saying that it's not the "most responsible" choice the Democrats could have made. However, it's probably not as irresponsible as Palin for VP.

So, I'm sure it's old but

a) WOW SNL is starting early this season, like, TOMORROW!
b) WOW big hints that Tina Fey will be Palin!
c) WOW BARACK OBAMA GUEST APPEARANCE!

GhaleonEB

I'm officially nervious. Very.

The "email ad" painting McCain is out of touch was terrible. Guess what? Old people will find it endearing. McCain is within two in Washington of all places. Gah.

Cheebs

BenjaminBirdie said:

Tina Fey isn't on SNL anymore

Huzah

GhaleonEB said:

The "email ad" painting McCain is out of touch was terrible. Guess what? Old people will find it endearing. McCain is within two in Washington of all places. Gah.

Never even thought of it that way, did Obama's camp forget who the most likely voters are?

They must be really banking on the youth vote.

GhaleonEB said:

I'd be legitimately nervous if I thought this was all he had to fire with. It's disappointing, yes, but I don't necessarily think this is an indication of some sort of "kitchen sink" strategy, yet.

If he doesn't improve within the next several ads, I'll join you in your nervousness.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GhaleonEB said:

Stooooooooooooop watchingggggggggg the pollsssssssssss

Cheebs said:
Tina Fey isn't on SNL anymore

Neither was John Goodman when he played Linda Tripp. Trust me, they're pushing the maybe/scheduling scuttlebutt to get people to watch, but if/when she shows up in the cold open it will the most watched SNL ever and probably the strongest ovation, like, ever.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, this is starting to look like McCain landslide.

Diablos

GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, why the fuck is it so close in Washington? I'm pretty sure even Kerry was doing better there at this time in 2004.

Huzah said:
Never even thought of it that way, did Obama's camp forget who the most likely voters are?

They must be really banking on the youth vote.

Most people know how to use a computer and send an email. There's not some huge demographic that is left out by this "elitest" stance. Even my 81 year old grandfather can do that much.

This is their first real salvo in the "McCain is old!" territory. I don't know if it will work, but it should get in the back of people's minds that "hey this guy is old."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonEB said:

You're worried about elderly people? Like they were EVER going to vote for Obama?

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:

It may not be a great ad but David Plouffe warned me about people like you. :p

GhaleonEB

tanod said:
It may not be a great ad but David Plouffe warned me about people like you. :p
Eh. I've been optimistic through ups and downs since I started paying attention in January. Today is literally the first day I've seen enough signs that this is slipping away.

And yes, the debates could change everything. I'm not freaking out. Just a lot more nervous that I was a few days ago.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Keep the nervousness to yourself, please. People are tense enough as it is.

There's still over a month and a half to go. It's like giving up when your team is down by a field goal at half-time.

Huzah

worldrunover said:
Most people know how to use a computer and send an email. There's not some huge demographic that is left out by this "elitest" stance. Even my 81 year old grandfather can do that much.

This is their first real salvo in the "McCain is old!" territory. I don't know if it will work, but it should get in the back of people's minds that "hey this guy is old."

It's all about perception, what people are going to see is Obama going agist on McCain and that's all that matters. It's not like old people who know how to use computers and email will say "Lol McCain doesn't know how to use a computer or email he's so old and out of touch."

Ps. McCain knows how to use a computer and email

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
Eh. I've been optimistic through ups and downs since I started paying attention in January. Today is literally the first day I've seen enough signs that this is slipping away.

And yes, the debates could change everything. I'm not freaking out. Just a lot more nervous that I was a few days ago.

They're just working the refs and shaking things up a little. Nothing to be nervous about. Seriously man. Do we need a seperate liberal handwringing thread?

Door2Dawn

Banned
tanod said:
They're just working the refs and shaking things up a little. Nothing to be nervous about. Seriously man. Do we need a seperate liberal handwringing thread?
We may need to. Who wants to make one?

BenjaminBirdie said:

Tina Fey really is the big winner in all this. She doesn't even need to wear any makeup to fill the role.

Did I miss the discussion on CNN's coverage this morning? Here's what was on around 8:30am:

Lady on the street - "I'm really tired of seeing all these stories on race and gender. When are we going to see coverage of the issues?"

Back at the studio - "So Roland, what is it about race and gender issues that makes it such a hot button topic..."

Me - "FUUUUUUCK!!!!!" *switched to SportsCenter*

You cannot make this shit up.

TDG

Banned
A liberal hand-wringing thread would be great, as long as I don't have to read it. You can tell that this is the first election a lot of people have closely watched.

Well, the nice thing is that they have a lot of new ads going out in concentrated areas. So they throw all this stuff against the wall, see if anything sticks, and if something does stick, then they use it consistantly.

APF

scorcho: The point is, I disagree with the assertion that this is "The Bush Doctrine," as opposed to an argument they put out there in the national security strategy and people conflated with that phrase, because it's therefore part of "Bush's doctrine"--note that twice in your post you assent that really this is a set of murky and amorphous vagaries, which is because it went from something meaning Something Specific, to meaning Whatever You Want. The last part of your post also agrees with what I was saying in last part of the post you were responding to, which is just weird since it's phrased as disagreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom