• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahadev

OK are republicans now fake outraged about what vicious said? What about the kids that will actually die when McCain/Palin continue with Bush's policies on a war that has been disastous on economic and human level for the United States? Are you outraged about them?

v1cious

Banned
minus_273 said:
in a democracy you should protect the candidates. I disagree with obama but in no fucking way do i want him or his children to be injured in a terrorist attack. I also wouldnt tolerate threats against them. I doubt this comment will attract secret service attention but i think they have every right to investigate every possible threat. Did you learn nothing from RFK?

well i don't live in Iraq or anywhere near Alaska, so bring it on.

Tamanon

Banned
Perino actually said that OBL wasn't behind 9/11, KSM was?:lol

Even if that's true, doesn't that run counter to everything we've done and talked about for the past 7 years?

LCGeek

formerly sane
minus_273 said:
in a democracy you should protect the candidates. I disagree with obama but in no fucking way do i want him or his children to be injured in a terrorist attack. I also wouldnt tolerate threats against them. I doubt this comment will attract secret service attention but i think they have every right to investigate every possible threat. Did you learn nothing from RFK?

It will all it takes is someone reporting and they will get to it. A few of my friends in WI learned quickly don't make threats like this you never know whose around that is listening that is a motivated citizen. I'm trying to help the person out from being in the shit can.

I learned a lot from RFK and JFK in many ways the biggest one don't ruffle to many feathers and not be able track those who are your enemies.

Gaborn

Mahadev said:
OK are republicans now fake outraged about what vicious said? What about the kids that will actually die when McCain/Palin continue with Bush's policies on a war that has been disastous on economic and human level for the United States? Are you outraged about them?

I certainly am.

minus_273 said:
jesus. is this now bad poliGAF has gotten? is genuinely wishing the death of the child of someone you disagree with really acceptable behaviour?

I'm not gonna defend his statement . . . but I gotta say that there is some weird cognitive dissonance going on though. Why do people get all worked up about an armed adult volunteer soldier heading off to a war zone when we know we routinely drop bombs that will kill innocent women & children? I don't wish any ill on her son, but it often bothers me how little we care about the other people in these conflicts.

Call it what you want . . . racism, nationalism, ethnicism . . . but it is kinda sad.

So Bin Laden isn't the mastermind behind 911? Who knew.

At this point I think the Bush administration assumes that the majority of Americans are idiots. The media should make a big deal about this. It's like someone trying to steal your wallet in slow motion while you watch them do it.

Mahadev said:

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed this.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't get it though, I mean I understand downplaying OBL because you can't catch him, but he's also your boogeyman, he's the focus, the face of that nebulous "terrorist" thing we're fighting.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
speculawyer said:
I don't wish any ill on her son,

And that's the point. The rest of your post does nothing to validate his statement, shed light on it, justify it, or even make it semi-reasonable. The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant to what happened.

Diablos

So according to Gallup, Congress is competitive now...

:lol This is seriously shaping up to be the most fucked up election year ever.

minus_273

Banned
speculawyer said:
I'm not gonna defend his statement . . . but I gotta say that there is some weird cognitive dissonance going on though. Why do people get all worked up about an armed adult volunteer soldier heading off to a war zone when we know we routinely drop bombs that will kill innocent women & children? I don't wish any ill on her son, but it often bothers me how little we care about the other people in these conflicts.

Call it what you want . . . racism, nationalism, ethnicism . . . but it is kinda sad.

the difference is no one wants innocent women and children to die. Outside of fuckwads, there arent people saying "is it wrong that I want innocent women and children to die"

Gaborn

minus_273 said:
the difference is no one wants innocent women and children to die. Outside of fuckwads, there arent people saying "is it wrong that I want innocent women and children to die"

Yep, generally the interventionists argue that soldiers deaths are necessary for some greater good, personally I disagree but in any case I'm not going to wish for any person, whether a soldier or not, American or not, to die

thekad

Banned
Diablos said:

Americans have finally realized that it was the liberal Democrats in power this entire time. And we're ready for change.

Toobin and Milbanks remark on the absurdity on voting for a "person you can have a beer with" for president which results in Gloria Borger "McCain Defense Force" activate!

Even Campbell Brown (who I was never too thrilled with) seems to acknowledge how nonsensical it is for Palin to be VP. Tim Russert must be spinning in his grave right now.

Diablos

thekad said:
Americans have finally realized that it was the liberal Democrats in power this entire
time. And we're ready for change.
Last I checked George W. Bush and a tied Senate were able to deny Congressional Democrats whenever they deemed it necessary. Maybe Americans should learn how Congress works before they just get mad and throw them out.

If the Democrats lose their majority status in the House (or, the most likely worse scenario, actually lose more than just a few seats)... wow. :eek:

Diablos said:

I don't know, it's not like this democrat-led congress is setting the approval rating charts on fire. And even if it is "competitive' there's a 0% chance they lose the majority.

Diablos

ALeperMessiah said:
I don't know, it's not like this democrat-led congress is setting the approval rating charts on fire. And even if it is "competitive' there's a 0% chance they lose the majority.
It still is not a good sign.

I agree, losing the majority seems very unlikely. It's a big if for sure.

Also, Congressional Dems pretty much did everything they said they would except ending the war. Bush defies them every single time. I don't even know if most of the people being polled see that. I doubt it. I don't understand why they get so much hate. They only have a majority in the House. Both sides of the Senate are basically even and cancel each other out. It is impressive what the Dems in Congress have been able to pull off when you consider how gridlocked everything is.

laserbeam

Banned
Charles Krauthammer Inventor of phrase "Bush Doctrine" on Bush Doctrine

At times visibly nervous . . . Ms. Palin most visibly stumbled when she was asked by Mr. Gibson if she agreed with the Bush doctrine. Ms. Palin did not seem to know what he was talking about. Mr. Gibson, sounding like an impatient teacher, informed her that it meant the right of 'anticipatory self-defense.' " -- New York Times, Sept. 12

Charles Krauthammer said:
Informed her? Rubbish.

The New York Times got it wrong. And Charlie Gibson got it wrong.

Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted. In doing so, he captured perfectly the establishment snobbery and intellectual condescension that has characterized the chattering classes' reaction to the mother of five who presumes to play on their stage.

Gaborn

Diablos said:
If the Democrats lose their majority status in the House... wow. :eek:

I don't think it's possible. People need to remember that generally speaking an incumbent is reelected around 95% of the time. In the current climate whatever the polls say right now Republican reps have a lot more to fear than Democratic reps on average, and even if the Repubs managed to take a few seats back they wouldn't take nearly enough to take the house back.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Why the hell am I seeing McCain ad's and none for Obama? Just on CNN right now. Empty Shell McCain has co-opted the change mantra hard, even using "more of the same" in the ad along with pics of Dems from Congress. What fucking nerve. Just wow.

Trurl

Banned
laserbeam said:
Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted.
She didn't pretend to know? What to do you call her saying "It's his world view." Just because she did a shitty job doesn't mean she did not pretend to know.

Tamanon

Banned
laserbeam said:

At times visibly nervous . . . Ms. Palin most visibly stumbled when she was asked by Mr. Gibson if she agreed with the Bush doctrine. Ms. Palin did not seem to know what he was talking about. Mr. Gibson, sounding like an impatient teacher, informed her that it meant the right of 'anticipatory self-defense.' " -- New York Times, Sept. 12

There is nothing funnier than Krauthammer talking about snobbery and intellectual condescension.

Gaborn said:
I don't think it's possible. People need to remember that generally speaking an incumbent is reelected around 95% of the time. In the current climate whatever the polls say right now Republican reps have a lot more to fear than Democratic reps on average, and even if the Repubs managed to take a few seats back they wouldn't take nearly enough to take the house back.

Also, there are 30 retiring republicans this year, compared to 6 democrats. It's a lot harder to win a toss up seat over an incumbent seat. Pelosi will still be speaker come Jan. 3, there's little doubt.

Gaborn

ALeperMessiah said:
Also, there are 30 retiring republicans this year, compared to 6 democrats. It's a lot harder to win a toss up seat over an incumbent seat. Pelosi will still be speaker come Jan. 3, there's little doubt.

Yep, I've heard it described as simply not being enjoyable to be the minority party, so a newly minority party is going to tend to have members lose interest, or in the case of older members retire a bit sooner.

Cloudy

Banned
laserbeam said:

You guys will defend anything. Fact is, she was an embarrassment to herself and this country in that interview. It wasn't just the Bush Doctrine stuff.

It's ok to admit that even if you support McCain..

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
laserbeam said:

:lol Krauthammer telling us about snobbery and intellectual condescension? I sincerely wonder if these kind of people still bother to take a shit. Seems like they use it all up on what they say. Ah man. Fucking Krauthammer. Iraq Cheerleader Supreme.

LuCkymoON

Banned
artredis1980 said:
News Markets according to Google

Yahoo (light blue) has a huge lead over CNN (orange), the others are irrelevant
viz

Yahoo's top viewers are from Mississippi, Louisianna, SC, GA, AL, NC and Texas
http://trends.google.com/trends?q=www.yahoo.com&ctab=0&geo=US&geor=all&date=2008&sort=0

Yahoo's top viewing cities are from Miami, Herndon, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta

Basically the top viewers are all from red states for Yahoo

The top 10 searches on Google for September 12th are:

1. ray boltz
2. mccain on the view
3. gas prices by zip code
4. galveston web cameras
5. gas buddy
6. laura obzera
7. galveston tx
8. hurricane ike pictures
9. galveston weather
10. galveston daily news

MOST IMPORTANTLY

Last 30 days:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Pali...&ctab=0&hl=en&geo=US&geor=all&date=mtd&sort=0

Palin was getting 5 times the searches to Obama on Google but they have dropped down to the extent that Obama is about to overtake her again

Biden is the least popular on google in terms of both tickets
Everyone in dallas seems to like Yahoo over google, dunno why.

laserbeam

Banned
Cloudy said:
You guys will defend anything. Fact is, she was an embarrassment to herself and this country in that interview. It wasn't just the Bush Doctrine stuff.

It's ok to admit that even if you support McCain..

Im just posting an article by the man who coined the phrase. I never said once her interview was remotely good at all. In fact I commented on the fact it seemed like her fuck ups were getting a free pass last night by the media

laserbeam said:

At times visibly nervous . . . Ms. Palin most visibly stumbled when she was asked by Mr. Gibson if she agreed with the Bush doctrine. Ms. Palin did not seem to know what he was talking about. Mr. Gibson, sounding like an impatient teacher, informed her that it meant the right of 'anticipatory self-defense.' "

-- New York Times, Sept. 12

Informed her? Rubbish.

The New York Times got it wrong. And Charlie Gibson got it wrong.

Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted. In doing so, he captured perfectly the establishment snobbery and intellectual condescension that has characterized the chattering classes' reaction to the mother of five who presumes to play on their stage.

Andrea Mitchell already played up that "impatient teacher" angle and said that it would make small town/rural American even more fond of Palin and this interview may even be seen as sexist by some women.

I believe the term "stuck on stupid" is aptly applied and almost even prophetic.

Alright guys, I finally did it. Going in at 10am for a couple hours to make some calls. It sounds pretty painless - they're just going to give me a sheet of 70 or so contacts to call and after that I'm free to go.

I encourage everyone here that considers themselves an Obama supporter to sign up for some form of volunteering ASAP.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Tamanon said:
There is nothing funnier than Krauthammer talking about snobbery and intellectual condescension.

Indeed, but as I always says takes one to know to know one. If another crackhead or snitch calls another for what it is only makes the situation even better they were both clueless, though at least gibson was partially right.

Soybean

Makes me wonder, though. Why haven't the Democrats had a national message the way the GOP did in 1994 with the contract for America? It's effective and they'd be able to explain on a national scale that Bush stopped them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom