• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

gkrykewy said:
The regional distribution in the Kos poll is also interesting:

McCain Obama Barr Nader
NE 39% 56% 1% 2% 1% 1%
SOUTH 56% 37% 3% 1% 1% 2%
MIDWEST 46% 49% 2% 2% 0% 1%
WEST 44% 50% 2% 1% 1% 1%

Some credence to the notion that McCain's boost is almost entirely occurring in states he would have won anyway.

Midwest went up for McCain by a point, I think, but West went up for Obama by two points.

A lot of middle-aged and older Democrats in NC are really Republicans, they registered as Democrats when they were younger because so few Republicans ran back then that sometimes there was no Republican primary to vote in + the Dixiecrat effect and the Reagan Democrats. At least that is what I've been told, my family is full of them, some of them are voting Obama this time though.

And almost all of the people I have helped register that list Independent are voting for Obama but don't want to receive political mailings -- that's my anecdotal evidence for the day. We will see what happen here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AniHawk said:
Midwest went up for McCain by a point, I think, but West went up for Obama by two points.

There may be some buyer's remorse as the reality of a frighteningly old president and a frighteningly naive veep gets closer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
WASHINGTON - Sarah Palin's visit to Iraq in 2007 consisted of a brief stop at a border crossing between Iraq and Kuwait, the vice presidential candidate's campaign said yesterday, in the second official revision of her only trip outside North America.

Following her selection last month as John McCain's running mate, aides said Palin had traveled to Ireland, Germany, Kuwait, and Iraq to meet with members of the Alaska National Guard. During that trip she was said to have visited a "military outpost" inside Iraq. The campaign has since repeated that Palin's foreign travel included an excursion into the Iraq battle zone.

But in response to queries about the details of her trip, campaign aides and National Guard officials in Alaska said by telephone yesterday that she did not venture beyond the Kuwait-Iraq border when she visited Khabari Alawazem Crossing, also known as "K-Crossing," on July 25, 2007.

Asked to clarify where she traveled in Iraq, Palin's spokeswoman, Maria Comella, confirmed that "She visited a military outpost on the other side of the Kuwait-Iraq border."

It was the second such clarification in as many weeks of the itinerary of what Palin has called "the trip of a lifetime." Earlier, the campaign acknowledged that Palin made only a refueling stop in Ireland.

In her interview with ABC News Thursday night, Palin did not mention Iraq in describing the visit, saying only that she went to Kuwait and Germany to meet with US forces.

According to an itinerary obtained from the Alaska National Guard, the Republican governor visited troops and airmen at a series of bases in Kuwait, including Camp Buehring, Camp Virginia, and Ali Al Salem Air Base.

Her visit to Iraq itself was during a short stop at Khabari Alawazem Crossing on the second day of her two-day trip to the region.

Palin arrived at Camp Buehring in Kuwait, where she held a town meeting with soldiers and reviewed various training programs designed to prepare troops to deploy into Iraq, said Lieutenant Colonel Dave Osborn, commander of the 3d Battalion, 207th Infantry of the Alaska National Guard, who was in charge of the 570 local troops serving in Kuwait and Iraq.

"The whole intent was to check on the Alaskans," Osborn said in a telephone interview yesterday.

On the second day of the trip, he said, Palin was flown to the border crossing, about 100 miles north of Camp Buehring, where she spent the morning meeting with troops and presiding over a ceremony in which an Alaska National Guard soldier extended his enlistment.

But she did not venture into Iraq, Osborn said. "You have to have permission to go into a lot of areas, and [the crossing] is where her permissions were," he said.

Palin did not stay the night in Iraq, and spent the rest of the second day at Camp Virginia and Ali Al Salem Air Base, Osborn said.

Palin also told ABC that she had traveled to Mexico and Canada. Her campaign had previously mentioned a Canada visit, but not a trip to Mexico. Comella said yesterday that Palin had visited Mexico on vacation, and Canada once last year.

"We did not have 100 percent confirmation about the Mexico trip in the initial days we were being asked. It was a personal trip," Comella said.

Palin's campaign did not respond to requests for details about when she traveled to Mexico and where she went, nor did it provide details of her 2007 Canada trip or indicate whether it was for business or pleasure.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/09/13/palin_camp_clarifies_extent_of_iraq_trip/

So the media vetting continues.

GhaleonEB

gkrykewy said:
Yeah - looks like it's due to McCain being up +1 on 9/12 (but with a 5.1% MOE), if you look at the internals. Will be interesting to see Gallup.

Diageo-Hotline also has McCain +1 again today, unchanged from yesterday.
Edit, NM. They were +1 Obama, now it's +1 McCain. WTF.

Three horrible days for McCain, and he's gaining in the polls.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
The other day when one of my boss came in to give a big speech about corporate stuff, he totally went off-topic and even briefly touched upon the US election. He went blah blah blah I follow the US politics... blah blah... president Obama... blah blah blah as if Obama has already won the elections :lol I'm a Canadian btw :D

gkryhewy

GhaleonEB said:
Diageo is +1 Obama. I don't think they will be doing weekend updates.

I see +1 McCain, and new today. They count a 2 point swing as virtually unchanged, which it is:

EDIT: Yeah, I was confused at first too :lol

http://www.diageohotlinepoll.com/

TIGHT PRESIDENTIAL RACE CONTINUES:
MCCAIN-PALIN: 45%, OBAMA-BIDEN: 44%

New York, NY – As the weekend begins, the race for the Presidency remains close. Today's Diageo/Hotline Daily Tracker Poll shows that the head to head is virtually unchanged from the Sept 12 Poll (Obama-Biden, 45% - McCain-Palin, 44%).

First impressions are everything.

Forget about how the US citizens viewed the interview. Other nations now see her as a moron and as such would never respect her if she were to become Commander in Chief.

I think she would then try some radical shit to try and "prove" she was "serious" which would end in disaster.

Cloudy

Banned
Current betting odds overall and for some key states. Fuck the polls!

Election:
Barack Obama -160
John McCain +120

Florida
Democrat +165
Republican -225

Colorado
Democrat -180
Republican +140

Nevada
Democrat: -125
Republican: -115

New Mexico
Democrat: -225
Republican: +210

Ohio
Democrat: EVEN
Republican: -140

Virginia
Democrat: -120
Republican: -120

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I know it's just the point that I can see the death by 1,000 cuts happening.

Mark my words: McCain's appearance on The View, particularly his mention of wanting to overturn Roe v Wade, is the beginning of the end for this dynamic duo. I say this because I still have faith in the American people, particularly its women.

ronito

bob_arctor said:
Mark my words: McCain's appearance on The View, particularly his mention of wanting to overturn Roe v Wade, is the beginning of the end for this dynamic duo. I say this because I still have faith in the American people, particularly its women.
Riiiiiight.

AniHawk

Gallup:

080913DailyUpdateGraph1_iiiii.gif

gkryhewy

bob_arctor said:

Did Palin's more militant stance on abortion come up in the interview?

mckmas8808

Frank the Great said:
I don't understand how those numbers work. Could you briefly explain them to me?

STREAM CROSSING IMMINENT

The lower the number the better for that person. A -140 is better for that person that a +140.

So VA is tied, Nevada, and CO is Obama's, while Ohio and FL belong to McCain

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
bob_arctor said:
wtf he said that ? God those conservatives are so fucked up...

AniHawk

mckmas8808 said:
The lower the number the better for that person. A -140 is better for that person that a +140.

Wouldn't EVEN mean you get out what you put in?

Thank you guys.

mckmas8808 said:
If Obama can get this race to EVEN by time the debates come that would be a good thing. If he can get to +1 or +2 by time the debates come that would be a game changer imo.

Yup. Kerry started surging after the first debate, but he was too far behind to begin with.

AniHawk said:
Wouldn't EVEN mean you get out what you put in?

But if McCain's odds are at -140, it means he is more favored to win (because you win get less back if you betted on him winning.)

phalestine

aka iby.h
mckmas8808 said:

I have been trying my best here in FL. Got 3 new people to register to vote. I first asked them who would they vote for if they could, if they said McCain, I just said oh and didn't bother getting them registered. these are my family members btw, not some random people. and I my self am a new voter, was 16 last election. so FL might, just might go to the democrats this election.

The regional distribution in the Kos poll is also interesting:
McCain Obama Barr Nader
NE 39% 56% 1% 2% 1% 1%
SOUTH 56% 37% 3% 1% 1% 2%
MIDWEST 46% 49% 2% 2% 0% 1%
WEST 44% 50% 2% 1% 1% 1%

Secession for the the South and Alaska now! Mr. Palin ("The First Dude"), can have his wish.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ronito said:
Riiiiiight.

I'm totally serious. He goes on national TV on a show watched by tons of women and more or less states RvW should be overturned with the cryptic "strict interpretation" bullshit. Calling it a bad decision ain't helping. His VP is against it entirely like she's Jay Dubya's secret lover. Shit's gonna go downhill for them. The thrill is gone. Bloom off the rose. Pearl, no luster. And yes, I am very optimistic.

AniHawk

Frank the Great said:
Thank you guys.

Yup. Kerry started surging after the first debate, but he was too far behind to begin with.

But if McCain's odds are at -140, it means he is more favored to win (because you win get less back if you betted on him winning.)

D'oh. My brain just realigned itself. I got it.

EVEN = getting twice your bet. So $100 doubles.

mckmas8808

iby.h said:
I have been trying my best here in FL. Got 3 new people to register to vote. I first asked them who would they vote for if they could, if they said McCain, I just said oh and didn't bother getting them registered. these are my family members btw, not some random people. and I my self am a new voter, was 16 last election. so FL might, just might go to the democrats this election.

:lol :lol

Good job man.

Cloudy

Banned
bob_arctor said:
I'm totally serious. He goes on national TV on a show watched by tons of women and more or less states RvW should be overturned with the cryptic "strict interpretation" bullshit. Calling it a bad decision ain't helping. His VP is against it entirely like she's Jay Dubya's secret lover. Shit's gonna go downhill for them. The thrill is gone. Bloom off the rose. Pearl, no luster. And yes, I am very optimistic.

He slipped up going on there thinking the liberal ladies wouldn't attack him.

That has been the GOP strategy for weeks now. Stump speeches, false attack ads and zero credible interviews. Thankfully Barbara and Joy are more responsible than the MSM..

PS: Barbara is a GILF :D

JayDubya

Banned
bob_arctor said:

It's not "cryptic bullshit," so don't be a retard.

Roe should be overturned and the matter returned to the states. The case has been made, many a time, by many people, including by quite a few supporters of legal abortion that can recognize bad jurisprudence when they see it. The decision was based on nothing substantive within the text of the Constitution, only the values of the SCotUS members involved.

If you're ignorant of the opposition's argument at this point, the problem lies with you, and only you.

speculawyer said:
Secession for the the South and Alaska now! Mr. Palin ("The First Dude"), can have his wish.

You say this a lot but let's translate these numbers to "how many out of 10 people"

NE 39% 56%
SOUTH 56% 37%
MIDWEST 46% 49%
WEST 44% 50%

becomes :

NE 4 people 6 people
SO 6 people 4 people
MW 5 people 5 people
WE 5 people 5 people

Why are 4 out of 10 people that I theoretically meet in the NE for McCain? Nuke Em!
Blue in the city Red in the country is mostly true for the whole map.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
JayDubya said:
It's not "cryptic bullshit," so don't be a retard.

Roe should be overturned and the matter returned to the states. The case has been made, many a time, by many people, including by quite a few supporters of legal abortion that can recognize bad jurisprudence when they see it. The decision was based on nothing substantive within the text of the Constitution, only the values of the SCotUS members involved.

If you're ignorant of the opposition's argument at this point, the problem lies with you, and only you.

I'm sure the voting women of America will agree with you. *fingers crossed*

AniHawk said:
Not really that big a deal. There are much bigger lies to hit on.

But it is the pattern of endless lies that drives me insane.

Here is a commercial I want to see.

<Obama in frame>
Obama: There is a frightening pattern with my opponents
<show clip of commercial with Bridge to Nowhere lie>
Obama: Sarah Palin supported the Bridge to Nowhere until it became a national disgrace . . . then she withdrew support . . . but kept the money anyway. (Show quotes from media saying how commercial is a lie.)
<show clip of 'comprehensive sex ed' commercial>
Obama: I approved of age-appropriate teaching to warn children away from sexual predators. (Show quotes from media saying how commercial is a lie.)
Obama: They even alleged that I called Sarah Palin a big because I used a common phrase that John McCain uses all the time. (Show quotes from media saying how commercial is a lie.)
Obama: If they lie this much to you now . . . what lies are in store for you in the future if they are elected?
<show clip of John McCain saying: "I think we will be greeted as Liberators."
<show clip of John McCain saying: ~"The Iraq war will be an easy victory" (something like that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom