• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

worldrunover said:
And she aped Obama's "main street / wall street" line. Awesome. Do they have any of their own phrases to use?

Aped? So it's ok to compare a white woman (or Bush) to a non-human primate but not Obama?
that's a joke people, although it was an interesting choice of words

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
polyh3dron said:

My god, the Obama spokeswoman talked like rainman and was defensive even as Matthews was on her side. I know Obama's plan won't raise taxes for most of America, but her delivery was so guarded that it almost made me suspicious. Nancy may have been factually owned, but there's no doubt why she's a spokesperson. She certainly came off a lot better.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trident said:
My god, the Obama spokeswoman talked like rainman and was defensive even as Matthews was on her side. I know Obama's plan won't raise taxes for most of America, but her delivery was so guarded that it almost made me suspicious. Nancy may have been factually owned, but there's no doubt why she's a spokesperson. She certainly came off a lot better.

She seemed really nervous. I would want my spokesperson to seem really confident.

TreIII

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I want to see the numbers that flood in during the early registration/voting window. If ~100k make it in there, I think Obama has a real shot in OH.

But outside that, I still think holding the Kerry states, and then winning Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado will be the most likely combination. If he wins Ohio, he wins Virginia and then it's not even close.

Yeah, and that's the "at best" scenario at work.

Overall, though, I'm still believing that Russert had pretty much the right idea of what we were to expect this election cycle. Nevada and Arizona may be loss causes at this point, but NM and CO (and, in my ideal world, VA and/or OH) would do a lot to clinch it decisively.

AniHawk

TreIII said:
Yeah, and that's the "at best" scenario at work.

Overall, though, I'm still believing that Russert had pretty much the right idea of what we were to expect this election cycle. Nevada and Arizona may be loss causes at this point, but NM and CO (and, in my ideal world, VA and/or OH) would do a lot to clinch it decisively.

No way, man. Nevada can totally go blue this year. There's democrats on the normal ground game there and Democrats from SuperAwesomeCalifornia going in every weekend.

Trident said:

Some of these Obama surrogates are terrible. Chris grills the republican and they get all smug just spewing talking points as well. If you can sound semi-intelligent you'll be fine. It just that when they result to talking points mode does Chris go after them.

woxel1

AniHawk said:
No way, man. Nevada can totally go blue this year. There's democrats on the normal ground game there and Democrats from SuperAwesomeCalifornia going in every weekend.
democrats like my mom!

polyh3dron said:
The whole tete-a-tete might have ended up being scored a draw were it not for Pfotenhauer's bizarre decision to debate middle-class economics while dressed in the aristocratic weeds of the Baroness Dierdre Von Goldencollar.
:lol
s-PFOTENHAUER-large.jpg

I like subliminal '*Country First* Country First*' in the background too.

Stinkles

Newt Gingrich just told Bill O'Reilly that Palin would do "All the major shows, she's not going to do the nutcase at MSNBC"

Nutcase?

Tamanon

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Newt Gingrich just told Bill O'Reilly that Palin would do "All the major shows, she's not going to do the nutcase at MSNBC"

Nutcase?

I assume he's talking about Olbermann who interviewed Obama.

laserbeam said:
That's what i would guess considering Rove had a side group do this exact thing against McCain in 2000 except about an "illegitimate black daughter"

TDG said:
Yep.

It's an awesome strategy, planting the thought in voter minds. Rove seems like such a fucking genius.

This reminds me of a story Hunter S. Thompson told in Better Than Sex, referenced here in this review:

http://www.the-write-stuff.com.au/archives/vol-1/reviews/hunter.html

And his sense of the bizarre knows no bounds, as in this 'ancient and honourable' story of how Lyndon Johnson first got elected to Congress in 1948 when his opponent was a wealthy and politically favoured pig farmer: 'Lyndon was running about 10 points behind, with only nine days to go... He was sunk in despair. He was desperate... he called his equally depressed campaign manager and instructed him to call a press conference at two or two-thirty (just after lunch on a slow news day) and accuse his high-riding opponent (the pig farmer) of having routine carnal knowledge of his barnyard sows, despite the pleas of his wife and children... His campaign manager was shocked. 'We can't say that, Lyndon,' he said. 'It's not true.' 'Of course it's not,' Johnson barked at him, 'but let's make the bastard deny it.'

Stinkles

Tamanon said:
I assume he's talking about Olbermann who interviewed Obama.

I know who he means, but

a) He was talking to Falafel.
b) That's very unprofessional for a wandering talking head.

Krowley

PhoenixDark said:
I'm watching Matthews grill Nancy but jeez, why does he let her continue to say Obama will raise taxes? Come on, he's usually better than this

But he is going to raise taxes on the rich right? A lot of people believe that tax increases trickle down in various ways.

Rich guy gets a tax increase, poor guy doesn't get a raise.. Rich guy gets a tax increase, poor guy gets laid off, etc...

Tamanon

Banned
Krowley said:
But he is going to raise taxes on the rich right? A lot of people believe that tax increases trickle down in various ways.

Rich guy gets a tax increase, poor guy doesn't get a raise.. Rich guy gets a tax increase, poor guy gets laid off, etc...

If this is what happens when tax CUTS trickle down, then I'm alright with it stopping:p If he's going to make the trickle down argument, then make it, don't make the "he will raise EVERYONE's taxes" argument.

Where's the evidence of "trickle down" economics working? I certainly don't see it now, nor did we see it in the aftermath of Reagan's presidency

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
For what it's worth Obama bought a fuckton of adspace during Monday Night Football tonight.

Seeing as it's a big one, I'd say money well spent.

Haven't tried it yet. I'm sure it's just plain old Jones Cola.

The other side of the packaging has Pure McCain Cola on it. The 4-pack actually came with two bottles of Obama and two bottles of McCain, but I swapped the McCain bottles for two more Obama ones.

Keylime

ezekial45 said:
How does it taste?
I hope the use of pure cane sugar doesn't change the taste over regular cola too much. I also hope that this soda would cut taxes for 95% of working Americans.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
Anyone seen this in their local stores?

obamayum.jpg

It's out in Jones' hometown of Seattle at the very least.
Totally OT, but I'm pretty sure my parents have the same kitchen countertop as you do. If not, it's really close, especially in color (dark green, but almost looks black).

Also, yeah, what's the flavor like?

Trurl

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Where's the evidence of "trickle down" economics working? I certainly don't see it now, nor did we see it in the aftermath of Reagan's presidency
Whether or not something works depends on what your intended ends are. >_> <_<

PhoenixDark said:

The wealthy have been claiming that everyone benefits from them being more wealthy since capitalism began. The trickle-down effect is just the newest method for them to try and convince people to let them have more money, against the people's own economic interest.

Pretty sure there is no historical reference for trickle down economics ever working. But people on the right (Libertarians, especially) tend to totally ignore history.

Krowley said:

Taxes paid by highest incomes

* The top 1% pay 22.7% of taxes.
* The top 10% pay 50% of taxes.
* The top 20% pay 65.3% of taxes.
* The top 40% pay 84.3% of taxes.

Taxes paid by lowest incomes

* The bottom 20% pay 1.1% of taxes.
* The bottom 40% pay 6.1% of taxes.

thekad

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Reagan shrunk the middle class to test our faith.

Krowley

Tamanon said:
If this is what happens when tax CUTS trickle down, then I'm alright with it stopping:p If he's going to make the trickle down argument, then make it, don't make the "he will raise EVERYONE's taxes" argument.

Yeah actually this is one of the few areas where I agree with Obama. I think tax cuts during wartime was kind of insane.

I would also like to see some kind of health care solution and that's obviously going to require some government funding for at least part of the solution.

But at the same time, I think taxes all come from the same pool and it all gets passed down one way or the other. One of the big problems with the trickle down theory is that tax cuts these days don't trickle down to americans anymore, they trickle over seas along with all the blue collar jobs. Tax increases suck, but we do have some important things we need to fund. If Obama ends up getting elected, I will mourn, but I will root for some kind of health care solution.

As far as taxes go, what I really want is a national sales tax or some kind of massive simplification/flatening of the system.

Xisiqomelir

AndyIsTheMoney said:

taxation09-640.png

Shins

Banned
Trident said:
Indeed.

thekad said:
Reagan shrunk the middle class to test our faith.

It's amazing how these people support policies which make other people rich while ignoring them so fervently. They cheer as other people get rich off of them (DRILL BABY DRILL)

Stinkles

AndyIsTheMoney said:

I bet the bottom 1% buy helicopters and yachts with all the tax money they aren't contributing.

Keylime

mj1108 said:
Absolutely not. Poly is pretty much McCain Jr

OuterWorldVoice said:

Nutcase?
What a wimp, Obama "did" the nutcase at Fox... well one of the nutcases over there anyways, they have a gaggle of em.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I bet the bottom 1% buy helicopters and yachts with all the tax money they aren't contributing.

its the bottom 50% who suffer the most not from taxes, but from cost of products. Housing, gas, food, etc. You wanna increase tax on business that's fine, but you have to realize that the bottom percent will suffer more from this increase than business will. How can you debate this? Whats your solution, socialize all business to regulate pricing? seriously what are you advocating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom