• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Xisiqomelir said:
2008-09-14.gif

:lol

Tamanon said:
Actually it's on Drudge, that's probably where he saw it:p One of those ubiquitous items labeled "Paper" or "Analysis"

hahaha, ic.. never ceases to amuse me. Someone should put the chain of events for posting anti-obama stuff from incredulous sources in a comic. I mean I picture each and every one of them laughing maniacally as they read Drudge report and imagining on how they are sure to destroy the hopium THIS TIME!!!!!!

ArtG

Trakdown said:
Okay, huge problems here.

First, yes, they were lying. They've long been debunked, and military records supported Kerry.
http://www.factcheck.org/article231.html

It was a smear campaign, one that's revving up to go after Obama next. This is a 527, that's what they do.

Now, this ad: Is it saying McCain was dishonorable? No. Is it accusing him of fluffing up his service record? No. Is it flat out saying he didn't do what he said he did in 'Nam? No.
It's not even questioning his service, but his state of mind.

What it's saying is something I've always agreed with: There's nothing about being a POW that inherently makes you presidential material. In fact, considering the physical and mental traumas of being a POW, most wouldn't recommend being responsible for the well-being of millions. And McCain has long had temperamental problems, even when he was in the academy.

These problems are still visible today and WILL affect us should he be elected. I'm not saying this should be the main attack against him, but it does add to what should be: his judgment.

Either way you cut it, both the Swift Boat and this Brave New PAC ad are complete character assassinations and smears.

Being a POW or a war veteran isn't a qualification for the Presidency, but it isn't a reason why someone shouldn't be.

You can attack his positions and judgment on a multitude of areas. But insinuating that the man is crazy and you "don't want him by the red button" is sickening and I'm not going to support it just because it attacks the guy I don't support in the election. It's a politically motivated smear.

This isn't right and I think you know better.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdzeTq6YPg0) (The ad, for those that which to view it.)

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Hey what the fuck's going on in CO?! Is it the bigger sampling of Republicans at work?

Last Rasmussen had Obama down by two in VA and down by 7 in OH though. So... yay?

Rasmussen + SUSA for VA is kinda positive at least.
Yeah, there's a lot of noise in these polls. CO swinging around? Ohio closing? VA tied?

Even if Obama loses CO but wins VA, that plus Iowa is win. So that works. I think these two and four point shifts are just noise.

And yeah, the sampling shift with Rasmussen will explain a good 4-6 points alone.

Barrett2

ArtG said:
But insinuating that the man is crazy and you "don't want him by the red button" is sickening and I'm not going to support it just because it attacks the guy I don't support in the election. It's a politically motivated smear.

Why is this sickening? I don't think its unreasonable to question whether a 72 year old former POW has the disposition required to decide whether to LITERALLY end the world.

The fact is that it would be irresponsible to allow McCain to avoid criticisms because of his POW status.

Once again, we aren't talking about some hick-town mayor, we are talking about the man who could decide to end the world with nuclear fire. I do not want any mentally unstable person in that role.

Imm0rt4l

ArtG said:
Either way you cut it, both the Swift Boat and this Brave New PAC ad are complete character assassinations and smears.

Being a POW or a war veteran isn't a qualification for the Presidency, but it isn't a reason why someone shouldn't be.

You can attack his positions and judgment on a multitude of areas. But insinuating that the man is crazy and you "don't want him by the red button" is sickening and I'm not going to support it just because it attacks the guy I don't support in the election. It's a politically motivated smear.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdzeTq6YPg0) (The ad, for those that which to view it.)

no one insinuated the man was crazy, but perhaps Rove did back in 2000? The ad did mention his temper, which really is no secret.

TreIII

Door2Dawn said:
Obama isn't going to lose PA. Fuck that poll.

Agreed with this.

I also doubt that he's really in trouble in CO either. Barring VA and/or OH going Obama, CO (and hopefully NM) will still be in play, and may be all that's necessary to clinch it.

Going to see Jonathan Coulton and some comedians for an Obama fundraiser in about 10 minutes, w00t!

I hope he plays millionaire girlfriend, it's way too perfect.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
more bad news:

HP to cut nearly 25,000 jobs by 2011

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/15/technology/hp_job_cuts/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Computer maker Hewlett-Packard said it will lay off 24,600 employees, or 7.5% of its workforce, over the next three years in a plan to integrate tech outsourcer Electronic Data Systems, which HP bought late last month.

HP said the workforce reduction will result in annual cost savings of about $1.8 billion. Of the nearly 25,000 layoffs, HP said about half will come from workers in the United States.

"HP has a strong track record of making acquisitions and integrating them to capture leading market positions," said Mark Hurd, HP's chief executive, in a statement. "We will deliver on the promise of HP and EDS for our customers and shareholders."

A company spokesman said HP was cutting positions that were made redundant due to the acquisition of EDS, but the company expects to hire about 12,000 new employees over the next three years to fill new expansion needs.

HP (HPQ, Fortune 500) expects to take a $1.7 billion charge in its fourth quarter 2008 financial statement due to the restructuring. To top of page

"the fundamentals of our economy are strong"

CNN: Isn't it time for the candidates to talk about the real issues?
coming up next on the Situation Room - Sarah Palin impersonators. Stay with us...

shitfucks. the lot of em.

Except for Cafferty. He knows the score.

ArtG

lawblob said:
Why is this sickening? I don't think its unreasonable to question whether a 72 year old former POW has the disposition required to decide whether to LITERALLY end the world.

The fact is that it would be irresponsible to allow McCain to avoid criticisms because of his POW status.

Once again, we aren't talking about some hick-town mayor, we are talking about the man who could decide to end the world with nuclear fire. I do not want any mentally unstable person in that role.

It's sickening because the man is not mentally unstable and you know it.

It's irresponsible to allow McCain to avoid criticism because of his POW status, but it's equally irresponsible to lay criticism at his feet because he was a POW and label him someone who would "LITERALLY end the world."

Trakdown

ArtG said:

You're saying we shouldn't question the judgment of somebody who has his hand on the doomsday button? Really?

The ad says he's volatile, not crazy. Huge difference, and his being volatile isn't news.

Look, if you're upset with the ad because it's a vet vs. a vet, fine. I have no problem with that. But right now, I think it's important that we get info on a candidate, especially one who has leanings towards war (see: Iran).

GhaleonEB

Door2Dawn said:
Kerry won the state by 150,000 votes, and now Democrats have an additional 500,000 voter registration edge over Republicans (for a total of about a million). I think it's pretty safe.

Tamanon

Banned
Fuller quote from Obama:

Now, a few hours later, John McCain’s campaign sent him back out to clean up his remarks. And he explained that what he really meant to say was that American workers are strong.

Now come on, Senator McCain. We know you meant what you said the first time because you’ve said it before. And your chief economic advisor – the man who wrote your economic plan – said that we’re in a “mental recession;” that this is all in our heads; that we’re a nation of whiners.

Don’t get me wrong – when Senator McCain says that American workers are the backbone of our economy, and that they aren’t getting a fair shake from Washington, he’ll get no argument from me. I’ve been making that case for nineteen months.

:lol Dude is hitting it today.

More smear campaign from McCain

Jewish voters are complaining of a poll that, after confirming their religion, asks a series of questions that appear aimed at alarming Jewish voters, including linking Barack Obama to Palestinian terrorist groups.

Debbie Minden of Pittsburgh described receiving the call from "Research Strategies" late yesterday afternoon. And a Key West woman, Joelna Marcus, reportedly received a similar-sounding call from the same group, according reports from the Obama-backing organization JewsVote.org and from a local blog.

Minden, a psychologist who lives in the Jewish neighborhood of Squirrel Hill, said the poll -- which came from an identified number -- began with relatively inocuous questions about what organizations she belongs to, whether she prefers CNN or Fox News, and how Obama and McCain compare on a range of issues, from national security to hte economy to education.

The caller also asked whether she was Jewish.

"It sounded like a real poll," Minden, 56, asaid.

Then the caller asked, as she recalled: "Would it change your mind about Obama if you knew that his church was anti-Israel? Would it change you rmind if you knew that the leaders Hamas had endorsed Obama? Would it change your mind if you knew he had met with the leaders of Hamas?"

She also said one question asked whether it would change her mind if she learned he were a Muslim, though she didn't recall the precise wording.

The poll lasted about 15 minutes, she said.

Marcus gave a similar account to JewsVote's Mik Moore, who wrote in an email that Marcus was asked if her opinion of Barack Obama would change if she knew that he had given money to the Palestinian Liberation Organization.

Marcus couldn't immediately be reached. If you've gotten a similar poll, or know someone who has, please get in touch.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Jewish_voters_complain_of_antiObama_poll.html?showall

In a sign of just how nervous senior Democrats are about Barack Obama's situation, top Democratic Party operatives are privately urging the party's major donors to get serious about putting big money into outside groups looking to attack John McCain in key battleground states.

Several senior Democratic strategists unaffiliated with Obama's campaign convened a private conference call late last week with at least four dozen of the party's most prolific donors to progressive causes and outside groups -- a call designed to instill a sense among donors that things are "pretty damn urgent" right now, one of the organizers of the call tells me.

The call is yet another sign that donors and outside operatives -- who had earlier gotten the message from Obama that he doesn't want such activity -- now recognize that Team Obama is privately hoping for such efforts to gear up in earnest.

On the call, Stan Greenberg, who did polling for Bill Clinton in 1992 and now partners with James Carville to run the Dem polling firm Democracy Corps, gave a presentation to the donors that painted a somewhat bleak picture of the struggles Obama is having with aging white women in battleground states.

Greenberg and other Dem operatives on the call discussed various messages to target this constituency, and batted around various ideas for contrast ads that could be used to pull these voters away from McCain and to Obama. Also on the call: Anna Greenberg, Stan's daughter and a leading Dem operative in her own right. The Greenbergs couldn't immediately be reached.

"The call was organized to let donors know that things are pretty serious and that if something is going to happen, it needs to happen fast," Dem operative Mike Lux, president of the Dem firm Progressive Strategies and one of the call's organizers, tells me.

"The message was that it's pretty damn urgent," continued Lux, who played a key role in raising money for outside groups in 2004. "We said we think that dramatic things need to happen."

Sources familiar with the call say there were more than 50 major donors or their reps on the call, most if not all of whom have a history of writing six-figure checks to Dem party committees or outside efforts.

Interestingly, there's little talk right now of forming a new vehicle for such ad spending. Instead, the Dem operatives on the call urged donors to seriously consider putting big money into existing groups that are starting to organize or advertise in key states.

Among them: Working America, a labor-backed group which has hundreds of thousands of members in Ohio and other industrial states, Planned Parenthood, the Association for Retired Americans, Women's Voices Women's Votes, and other such organizations.

One outstanding question -- will the billionaires who bankrolled such efforts four years ago, such as George Soros and Steve Bing, put serious cash into the race this time around?

According to Lux, donors on the call seemed to grasp the sense of urgency. "Judging from the feedback we got on the call," he said, "the donors are serious about this and realize the importance of all this and that they need to do something sooner rather than later."

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/top_democrats_privately_urging.php

ArtG

Trakdown said:
You're saying we shouldn't question the judgment of somebody who has his hand on the doomsday button? Really?

The ad says he's volatile, not crazy. Huge difference, and his being volatile isn't news.

Look, if you're upset with the ad because it's a vet vs. a vet, fine. I have no problem with that. But right now, I think it's important that we get info on a candidate, especially one who has leanings towards war (see: Iran).

ArtG said:
You can attack his positions and judgment on a multitude of areas."

So how does that translate to me saying that we shouldn't question his judgment? We can question his judgment in Iraq, where he seems to be the only guy around that doesn't want a timetable for withdrawal. We can question his judgment on tax policy, which will give tax cuts to people that don't need it. We can question his judgment on wanting to overturn Roe v. Wade. We can question his energy policy, which is nothing more than "drill baby drill".

But to question his judgment by saying that a POW does not have the ability to serve as President of the United States because he might want to destroy the world (big red button) is not something that should even be considered. Questioning whether or not McCain wants to nuke the planet is beyond calling him volatile--that's calling him insane.

Cloudy

Banned
I love how Fox is determined to smear Obama with this bogus NY Post story. No other serious media is carrying it but them :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Tamanon said:
To be perfectly fair, it might not be from McCain and most likely won't be in a traceable way. It's one of Rove's side projects I'm guessing.

That's what i would guess considering Rove had a side group do this exact thing against McCain in 2000 except about an "illegitimate black daughter"

TDG

Banned
laserbeam said:
That's what i would guess considering Rove had a side group do this exact thing against McCain in 2000 except about an "illegitimate black daughter"
Yep.

It's an awesome strategy, planting the thought in voter minds. Rove seems like such a fucking genius.

UH OH

Gallup admits: it only releases likely voter results when they favor McCain!

The Gallup Daily Presidential tracking poll, which many of us follow more closely than we should, reports results based on a survey of registered voters. At some point in the future, Gallup is going to switch to likely voters for the tracking poll, but we don't know exactly when.

Just as Nate predicted over at 538, the Gallup tracking poll showed a stable, close race leading up to the conventions, then a bounce for Obama, and then a bounce for McCain that seems to be subsiding, though less quickly than Obama's. The longer-lasting effect of McCain's bounce is probably the result of his VP selection (and convention) stepping on Obama's, rather than any lasting shift in the race (despite what the pundits have rushed to conclude).

But I want to focus on the poll Gallup released last Monday, Sept. 8th, through USA Today, that used a sudden, unexplained, temporary shift to the likely voter model and caused a huge splash in the media.

Second, we are at this point reporting likely voter estimates on only an occasional basis. We feel that the trends among registered voters give us the best way to track election preferences in our daily poll, in part because many voters are not yet in a position to accurately estimate their chances of voting on Election Day. But from time to time, we do estimate (and report) likely voter results to give us a feel for the potential difference turnout could make in November. So far this summer, there have been occasions when -- as was the case this past weekend after the GOP convention -- likely voters were decidedly more Republican. But there have also been occasions when there was little difference between the vote patterns of likely voters and those of registered voters.

In other words, Gallup is admitting the following:

1. At the time it released the September 8th poll (showing McCain up by 10), it believed institutionally that likely voter results were less accurate than registered voter results.

2. Likely voter results have only occasionally diverged from the registered voter results.

3. Despite these facts, Gallup deliberately chose to release, to the widest fanfare possible, a poll using an admittedly less accurate method (the likely voter method) at the time of McCain's maximum convention bounce, knowing that it would show a large divergence (+10 for McCain vs. only +4 with registered voters) based on the likely voter method, even though such a divergence is not often present.

4. In short, they combined all possible factors in McCain's favor to make his lead seem as big as possible -- and the media went wild with it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/15/74531/5933/788/599244

mclem

Tyrone Slothrop said:
Tina Fey doesn't put country first

McCain's slogan bothers me. I think it's a really unwise choice *if* the right sort of people (by which I mean crude and unscrupulous, naturally) start playing with it.

What do I mean?

Think about the first syllable.

Gaborn

Door2Dawn said:

The reality based community in action. That poll is not real because you don't want it to be real (Obama may or may not win Pennsylvania but the poll's result is not unreasonable)

ronito

Gaborn said:
The reality based community in action. That poll is not real because you don't want it to be real (Obama may or may not win Pennsylvania but the poll's result is not unreasonable)
There is no poll!

Xisiqomelir

Gaborn said:

The poll contradicts all our established facts (comparative voter registration numbers, state voting history since Nixon's "Southern Strategy", every other poll), Gaborn.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Gaborn said:
I'll say it again.

Obama will not lose PA. I'm not saying it out of denial,I'm saying because its fact.

Gaborn

Xisiqomelir said:
The poll contradicts all our established facts (comparative voter registration numbers, state voting history since Nixon's "Southern Strategy", every other poll), Gaborn.

Pennsylvania's consistently been a toss up state the last several elections. Showing a tie is not saying McCain's up by 15 or something.

TDG

Banned
Gaborn said:
Just based on everything we know about the state's voting history and such, people will tend to dismiss certain polls. It has nothing to do with not wanting things to be real. Obama losing Penn, Minnesota, or New Mexico just seems unreasonable, and I refuse to believe any poll that says otherwise. It's just like I (and many others) tend to dismiss polls that have Obama up in Florida.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonEB said:
He's very unlikely to hold all of Ohio, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida and Virginia.

If he loses even one of those, Obama wins. McCain basically has to run the table on swing states this year.

A few things:

--I didn't know about NM. It's sure to go blue?

and

--Still, when people say he hasn't found a path to 270...he has...didn't bush run the table?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID

Now the MSM is being forced to repeat the simplest truth of the past eight years. The economy was better under Democrats.

The metronome had already begun to swing back, but people will vote with their wallets over their idealogy. Certainly independents will.

This is one of those issues where Gaf republicans will simply shut up and not post, because they've got nothin'

Stupidly, in reaction to mcCain's "fundamentals" comment this morning, they are claiming that McCain meant "workers" which of course is also wrong. unemployment is higher, and it's no small detail - Republicans are bad for blue collar Americans.

Door2Dawn

Banned
TDG said:
Just based on everything we know about the state's voting history and such, people will tend to dismiss certain polls. It has nothing to do with not wanting things to be real. Obama losing Penn, Minnesota, or New Mexico just seems unreasonable, and I refuse to believe any poll that says otherwise. It's just like I (and many others) tend to dismiss polls that have Obama up in Florida.
You saying he can't win here?

>=(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom