• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
polyh3dron said:
O RLY? Culture Wars you say?

John McCain has been very vocal on his hands-off economic philosophy and he has voted to pass the very bills that have gotten us into this mess and now after telling us numerous times that the economy is fine he's finally telling us that it's fucked up, but it took Bear Stearns, IndyMac, Freddie Mac, Fannie May and Lehman Bros going under and a huge stock market crash to make him acknowledge it. Now, after being an accomplice in creating the conditions that allowed these financial institutions to go buckwild with subprime lending he's finally saying that Washington needs to be fixed. He doesn't say how he wants to fix it, just that he wants to fix it. Note that he doesn't know shit about the economy and is just being told how to deal with it by Phil Gramm, architect of the Enron Loophole and other deregulation measures that got us in this mess.

He says he's going to lessen the influence that lobbyists have in Washington, yet his whole campaign is being run by lobbyists. Of course we keep getting told to pay no attention to the hundred or so lobbyists behind the curtain.

The Republicans "trickle down" philosophy has been proven to shrink the middle class and redistribute the wealth in this country to the rich. They know they can't win if they actually show you what they want to do economically so they just say that it's bad and that they're going to fix it with no strategy on how they will fix it because they really don't want to fix it.

This being the case, they attempt to discredit the media that calls them out on it which they've been doing for years; and they have been despicably exploiting religion to get the religious vote and generally creating an "Us vs. Them" culture war kind of narrative which is complete bullshit. They have made it so that a large portion of the people only believe the lies they are told by the Republicans, and they reject the truth. The Republicans can tell their base huge lies and repeat them ad nauseum, and they become the truth to their base.

It has gotten to the point where the media has been bullied into presenting the truth, and the Republican distortion of the truth as two equally valid sides of a coin. In past times it would be the Democratic distortion of the truth on the other side but under the Bush Administration the GOP has swung this country so far to the right that the Democrats, the ones that the Republicans say are on the far left are still a little right of center.

You are trying to say that there is something wrong with those of us pointing out that the GOP is completely full of shit and that their perspective is just as valid. I am saying that given everything we have seen in the last 7 years and what John McCain wants to do with the next 8 years that there is something wrong with you.

Actually I never said that at all.

You're injecting far more in to than I ever said. Culture or perception I meant in general not just to one aspect that being political. I don't like the neocon/neoliberal or elite agenda one bit, and have been very vocal about this election. I've already voted obama in the primaries and plan on doing so in November.

This has nothing to do with the war rather a clash of inevitability between cultures in the same local area of reality. My point was simple, perhaps too simple the first time I said. It's an insult for those, those we philosophically despise to say they live or exist when they in fact are nothing more simpletons running the numbers of their own ignorant belief system making a mess of others perceptions or existence in a self righteous manner.

Truth for me is relative considering it's nothing more than a full trust or distrust and for others full belief or non belief of information shared between individuals or masses at large.

Ronito Hate is inevitable:D

LCGeek said:
Actually I never said that at all.

You're injecting far more in to than I ever said. Culture or perception I meant in general not just to one aspect that being political. I don't like the neocon/neoliberal or elite agenda one bit, and have been very vocal about this election. I've already voted obama in the primaries and plan on doing so in November.

This has nothing to do with the war rather a clash of inevitability between cultures in the same local area of reality. My point was simple, perhaps too simple the first time I said. It's an insult for those, those we philosophically despise to say they live or exist when they in fact are nothing more simpletons running the numbers of their own ignorant belief system making a mess of others perceptions or existence in a self righteous manner.

Truth for me is relative considering it's nothing more than a full trust or distrust and for others full belief or non belief of information shared between individuals or masses at large.

Ronito Hate is inevitable:D
OK so you're basically saying it's ignorant and self righteous for us to say that the Republicans are cultivating cognitive dissonance in their base. That's what I was responding to. The fallacy of the "culture warz".

ronito

Instigator's got some competition in the great avatar contest
newbianca02.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane
ronito said:
Instigator's got some competition in the great avatar contest
newbianca02.jpg

Nah even instigator's avatar's leave me dazzled. I knew using that photo would stir emotions.

polyh3dron no problem and if the nature of my writing can inspire most posts like that maybe I should lurk less and confuse more.

Photos: Tuesday night fundrasier in Beverly Hills

$28,500 each at the Greystone Mansion, followed by entertainment by Streisand at the nearby Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel. About 250-300 people were expected at the dinner and about 800 at the entertainment, which cost $2,500 a ticket.

Dinner guests seen by reporters, or noted by waiters, included Will Ferrell, Jodie Foster, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Lee Curtis and DreamWorks founders Steven Spielberg, David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenbach.

Obama spent more than an hour before dinner getting his picture taken with guests. He said later that people had encouraged him to be tougher and had questioned why he was so calm in a close race against Republican John McCain."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama

ve0hud.jpg

29wu0yw.jpg

20qb1w5.jpg

90q8ex.jpg

34fe647.jpg

rtqryd.jpg

Deus Ex Machina said:
Photos: Tuesday night fundrasier in Beverly Hills
The fucked up thing was when I heard John McCain ridicule Obama today for holding such a funcdraiser with the HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL ELITE and his crowd just ate it all up, you could hear their disdain for Barbara Streisand and the Hollywood Librulz.

Did he not forget the fundraiser he held that hosted stars such as Kelsey Grammer, Jon Voight and other conservative celebs?

Again, cognitive dissonance.

AniHawk

polyh3dron said:
The fucked up thing was when I heard John McCain ridicule Obama today for holding such a funcdraiser with the HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL ELITE and his crowd just ate it all up, you could hear their disdain for Barbara Streisand and the Hollywood Librulz.

Did he not forget the fundraiser he held that hosted stars such as Kelsey Grammer, Jon Voight and other conservative celebs?

Eh, it's not like John McCain gets any news coverage for appealing to retards.

McCain and Palin, however. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
polyh3dron said:
O RLY? Culture Wars you say?

John McCain has been very vocal on his hands-off economic philosophy and he has voted to pass the very bills that have gotten us into this mess and now after telling us numerous times that the economy is fine he's finally telling us that it's fucked up, but it took Bear Stearns, IndyMac, Freddie Mac, Fannie May and Lehman Bros going under and a huge stock market crash to make him acknowledge it. Now, after being an accomplice in creating the conditions that allowed these financial institutions to go buckwild with subprime lending he's finally saying that Washington needs to be fixed. He doesn't say how he wants to fix it, just that he wants to fix it. Note that he doesn't know shit about the economy and is just being told how to deal with it by Phil Gramm, architect of the Enron Loophole and other deregulation measures that got us in this mess.

He says he's going to lessen the influence that lobbyists have in Washington, yet his whole campaign is being run by lobbyists. Of course we keep getting told to pay no attention to the hundred or so lobbyists behind the curtain.

The Republicans "trickle down" philosophy has been proven to shrink the middle class and redistribute the wealth in this country to the rich. They know they can't win if they actually show you what they want to do economically so they just say that it's bad and that they're going to fix it with no strategy on how they will fix it because they really don't want to fix it.

This being the case, they attempt to discredit the media that calls them out on it which they've been doing for years; and they have been despicably exploiting religion to get the religious vote and generally creating an "Us vs. Them" culture war kind of narrative which is complete bullshit. They have made it so that a large portion of the people only believe the lies they are told by the Republicans, and they reject the truth. The Republicans can tell their base huge lies and repeat them ad nauseum, and they become the truth to their base.

It has gotten to the point where the media has been bullied into presenting the truth, and the Republican distortion of the truth as two equally valid sides of a coin. In past times it would be the Democratic distortion of the truth on the other side but under the Bush Administration the GOP has swung this country so far to the right that the Democrats, the ones that the Republicans say are on the far left are still a little right of center.

You are trying to say that there is something wrong with those of us pointing out that the GOP is completely full of shit and that their perspective is just as valid. I am saying that given everything we have seen in the last 7 years and what John McCain wants to do with the next 8 years that there is something wrong with you.

Awesome post.

AniHawk

polyh3dron said:
One thing's for sure, that "An American Carol" movie is going to be a barrel o' laughs.

Does it come out against Religulous?

EDIT: Yep.

My
(81 year-old, actively religious)
grandmother saw Religulous and thought it was hilarious. At least there will be something funny that comes out that day.

GhaleonEB

$28,500 each at the Greystone Mansion, followed by entertainment by Streisand at the nearby Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel. About 250-300 people were expected at the dinner and about 800 at the entertainment, which cost $2,500 a ticket.
That's $10.5m.

laserbeam

Banned
The Lulz

WASHINGTON (CNN) —Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

laserbeam said:
The Lulz

WASHINGTON (CNN) —Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.
oh fuck this

Hillary, GET HER

LuCkymoON

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Carly Fiorina ended up dead somewhere. That was a pretty messed up statement.
and the sad thing is, she would deserve it not for what she said about McCain but for what she did to HP.

Cloudy

Banned
laserbeam said:
The Lulz

How can Hilary let crap like this happen? And I love how supposed Democrats can suddenly become Republicans because their preferred candidate lost. Pathetic..

laserbeam

Banned
Cloudy said:
How can Hilary let crap like this happen? And I love how supposed Democrats can suddenly become Republicans because their preferred candidate lost. Pathetic..
Hillary really doesn't care is why. She has done her bit to be the good guy. Obama wins and the party wins. Obama loses and she comes back roaring in 2012.

Strangest thing about this case is this isnt just some nobody. This is an actual member of the DNC.

Cloudy

Banned
Hillary really doesn't care is why

And that's the biggest reason she's not on the ticket. She didn't want to be #2 and Obama knew he'd get a lackluster effort if the party compelled her to do it. She probably even said no but they won't admit it till after the election so her "fans" don't stay home on Nov. 4th..

How can a party be so split cos the favorite got upset? WTF, this ain't American Idol, dammit!

mj1108

Cloudy said:

She could almost be called the "female Lieberman".

Jak140

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...nton-backer-and-dnc-member-to-endorse-mccain/
:lol
where do these people come from?

please let this shit die, i can't bare to hear anymore bs about "white working class, blue collar, Hilary supporters".

Cloudy

Banned
I could care less if she doesn't like Obama but this is just another welcome distraction for McCain. And a press conference? Why? These spiteful fucks actually want the Dems to lose just cos their girl got pwned by Barack..

WTF, how do the Dems let this shit go down?

Someone named Lynn Forester de Rothschild thinks Barack Obama is an elitist?

The "de _____" is a common European way for a woman to keep her family name when she gets married. Obviously, she was proud of being a Rothschild.

EDIT: Beaten!

maynerd

Banned
laserbeam said:
The Lulz

attention_whore3.jpg

laserbeam said:
The Lulz

I don't understand these people that flip like that. OK, so she's not a Obama fan. But what issue did Hillary champion that this supporter now feels McCain will represent better than Obama?

laserbeam said:
She certainly has some of that going. She is a pretty big time fundraiser person so that could be a money boost for McCain
Not really . . . just because she flipped that doesn't mean the other Hillary supporters she got money from will flip.

speculawyer said:
I don't understand these people that flip like that. OK, so she's not a Obama fan. But what issue did Hillary champion that this supporter now feels McCain will represent better than Obama?
None but that's OK because Rick Davis told me that this campaign wasn't about issues.

laserbeam

Banned
speculawyer said:
I dont know the answer to that one. Apparently she and several other prominent Democrats requested a meeting with McCain to discuss his views and theirs and as a result they will be coming out in favor of McCain. Campaigning,Fundraising etc.

Price Dalton said:
Seriously. Her name alone conjures up fox hunts, ebony mares, those long lady cigarettes, and French mineral water.

Quick search brought up that she is apparently a New Jersey girl who caught the eye of a Brit and boy does she have connections. She and her husband honeymooned at the White House at the invitation of the Clintons.

AniHawk

It's kinda funny since $10m is the amount the RNC asked for in the letters they mailed out for a MONTH'S worth of donations for VICTORY 2008 and the Democrats do that on two separate days (although one was funded by the very rich).

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
To be blunt, I think people who fight for Hillary to win and then flip for McCain - who is the polar opposite of what she stands for - are either racist or sexist.
speculawyer said:
So I guess Obama is now using the loophole the RNC pioneered?
No. That is the max spending limit for party contributions and the money goes to the DNC. The $2500 goes to Obama's campaign.

AniHawk

polyh3dron said:
None but that's OK because Rick Davis told me that this campaign wasn't about issues.

It all reminds me of a joke from The Critic.

Reagan: If elected, I promise to goof off and eat candy.
Crowd: Four more years! Four more years!

Man Reagan sucked.

kevm3

Hill needs to get that idiot woman. "LOLZ Idon't like Obama's elitist attitude so I am going to the other party!" Notice how she didn't say a thing about what she liked about McCain? She is traitorous scum, and yes, I'll stand those words since she's potentially affecting my life in a big way by going against her party to get a madman and an incompetent in office.

Some of these sore losers in the Democratic party need to GET OVER IT. You don't have Romney republicans jumping ship to Obama because their guy lost. That's one of the things I respect about the republicans is that they stick together. Supposedly Bill Clinton is still mad at angered at Obama for not profusely apologizing or something. Dude, get over it. Your ego isn't as important as putting someone like McCain in office.

laserbeam said:
I dont know the answer to that one. Apparently she and several other prominent Democrats requested a meeting with McCain to discuss his views and theirs and as a result they will be coming out in favor of McCain. Campaigning,Fundraising etc.

How can people fundraise for McCain anymore? I mean, legally? Do they kind of just wink towards the nearest 527, or what?

laserbeam

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
How can people fundraise for McCain anymore? I mean, legally? Do they kind of just wink towards the nearest 527, or what?

Probably a bit of 527 here, 527 there and donate to the RNC which can spend funds

laserbeam said:
Ah . . . there's the answer. Sounds like some personal legislation.

That's when you know you are rich . . . when you can buy your own laws. They are usually tax breaks written in such a narrow manner that they really only apply to a single family or small group.

GhaleonEB said:
No. That is the max spending limit for party contributions and the money goes to the DNC. The $2500 goes to Obama's campaign.
But the DNC can use it to buy Obama ads . . . they just can't coordinate with the Obama campaign. It is a relatively new system that I don't believe either party used until this year.

Breaking: US Embassy in Yemen Attacked

MSNBC said:
DUBAI - A car bomb exploded outside the U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Wednesday, and a fire was seen blazing in the heavily-fortified compound, Al Arabiya TV reported.

The network quoted witnesses as saying that the blast was followed by gunfire. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties.

An embassy employee contacted by telephone inside the mission's compound would only say "there has been a security incident" on Wednesday.

Yemen, the ancestral home of Osama bin Laden, has grappled with a spate of al-Qaida attacks this year, including one on the U.S. Embassy, another near the Italian mission and others on Western tourists.

An al-Qaida-affiliated group claimed responsibility in March for a mortar attack that missed the U.S. embassy in Sanaa but wounded 13 girls at a nearby school.

The United States ordered non-essential staff to leave Yemen in April, a day after an attack on a residential compound.

awww fuck here comes McCain the bellicose hawk again.

AniHawk said:
It all reminds me of a joke from The Critic.

Reagan: If elected, I promise to goof off and eat candy.
Crowd: Four more years! Four more years!

Man Reagan sucked.
He was better than Bush junior. Bush senior was the best of the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom