• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Alcibiades said:
Democracy. More important than abortion, the war, etc...

-18 million+ voters and their will is overturned by superdelegates (party insiders)

Let's say we agree to have a game of chess. We talk it over, we'll play by the standard rules, and we settle down to play. I'm white, and I do a brilliant attack slaughtering most of your front row of pawns, but I leave my king open, blocked in by most of my own pieces.

You start to move to lock down my king. You've set up a gambit that will win in a few moves. realising this, I decide to myself that the winner of the game should be the one who captures most of the opponent's pieces; you've only captured a couple of my pawns. I tell you about the rule change. You ignore me and checkmate.

Who has won?

Diablos

http://news.muckety.com/2008/06/04/lynn-forester-de-rothschild-stands-by-her-woman/3171

Lynn Forester de Rothschild stands by her woman
By Laurie Bennett | June 4, 2008 at 7:50am | 28 Comments

No woman in the Hillary Clinton camp, other than maybe the candidate herself, is tougher than Lynn Forester de Rothschild.

A bundler for Clinton, de Rothschild said last night that Barack Obama needs to go to his Democratic opponent hat in hand.

Otherwise, she said, “He’ll lose women, he’ll lose Hispanics, he’ll lose seniors and he’ll lose that working community. If Hillary’s not there, I don’t think they’re going to relate to Barack Obama.”

Take a quick look at her pedigree, and you wouldn’t think de Rothschild, wife of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild, could be this hard-nosed. She is rich, charming and beautiful. Portfolio has called her the “the flashiest hostess in London.”

But look closer and you’ll find an iron will. Some Londoners call her “Lady Lynn de Pushy.”

She has had long been a power player, counting the Clintons and Tony Blair as good friends. Former husband Andrew Stein is former New York City Council president.

She wed de Rothschild, the international banker, in 2000, when she was 46 and he was 69. Forbes called the marriage - her third - “the deal of a lifetime.”

A native of New Jersey, she received a law degree from Columbia and was still a young lawyer when she was hired by media mogul John Kluge. Watching Kluge’s series of successes, de Rothschild decided to become an entrepreneur herself.

She bought and sold a cell phone company in Puerto Rico. She snatched up unused wireless frequencies in four U.S. cities, then sold them for more than $100 million. Then she set her eyes on Europe. Her new company, FirstMark Communications Europe, attracted a stellar board, including Vernon Jordan and Henry Kissinger.

“It is less painful to do what she wants than to resist her,” Kissinger told New York magazine.

She sold Firstmark in June 2000 and married de Rothschild six months later. Now she’s CEO of EL Rothschild, the family investment firm, and serves as a director of Estee Lauder and the Economist.

She has raised millions for the Tate Gallery and untold amounts for the Clinton campaign.

She has founds ways a woman can wield power simultaneously in the business and political worlds - a role that Clinton might consider in the future.

But last night, de Rothschild stuck by her friend the candidate. Clinton, she said, is “the greatest woman to ever arise in American politics.”
...and she has the nerve to call him an elitist? What the hell is wrong with these super rich people calling not so super rich people elitists?

Comments section of the page sums it up best:

This “Lady” who happened to marry a knight from the bluest of the blueblooded families in all of Britan has the gall to call Obama an elitist! The nerve of that see you next tuesday!!! She lives in a CASTLE!!!

I have never been so angry at someone I’ve never met before.
Heh, yep.

Alcibiades said:
"I don't understand these people that flip like that. OK, so she's not a Obama fan. But what issue did Hillary champion that this supporter now feels McCain will represent better than Obama?"

-18 million+ voters and their will is overturned by superdelegates (party insiders)
-thug politics (intimidation at caucuses and threats to Clinton supporters)

Now, try to put yourself in their place:

What if Obama got more votes in the primary, neither candidate got enough delegates to cross the magic line, and Hillary is put over the top by party insiders?

What if the so-called Clinton machine ran an operation that intimidated people in the caucus states and "cheated" when they could get away with it?

Issues matter no doubt, but just as hardcore Obama people would be raving mad if Clinton got the nod and then dissed Obama by not even considering him for VP, the opposite of that is true now.

Details about the by-laws, weight of caucus votes vs. primary votes, etc... just don't matter more than the big picture. Now add to that that some Clinton supporters have an emotional attachment and that THEIR PERCEPTION (whether true or false) is that Obama stood by while a sexist media smeared her day after day, and you could see why support for democracy and a "fair primary system" would trump roe-v-wade.

I no more expect that GAF would take seriously anti-Obama views than that "leave britney alone" dude would tolerate anything negative about Britney, but I thought getting that viewpoint out there (whether I agree with it or not) would help.

Did they live in a cave during the primary season and then read the Clinton pamphlet on what happened?

Both went in with the same rules (including MI and FL don't count) and both knew the weight of caucuses and primaries alike. Obama beat her like a drum, and she couldn't handle it, and started throwing a fit trying to get MI and FL back in play, even though she STILL wouldn't have been able to win.

This is akin to playing a basketball game for 30 minutes and then realizing the 3-point line is "unfair" because he shoots better jumpers than you do. It's ridiculous, Clinton handled it terribly, and if anything "un-democratic" occurred it's because of the rules in place (which by the way I'm sure she wasn't complaining about when her husband won the nomination under the same basic arragement).

Funny how the truth gets so tangled after even a few months.

I'm watching Morning Joe right now and I want to throw something at the TV.

The absurdity: They went on again about why Obama isn't up by 15 points.
Reality: The country is still highly polarized and Obama is looking to be the first black President! Quit comparing him to a generic Democrat because he's not a generic Democrat nominee.

The absurdity: They went on again about how Obama can't close the deal with "white working class" people.
Reality: Obama is polling almost the same as John Kerry was four years ago with "white" working class people. Of course the media never points this out. Instead they continue these narrative of Obama vs. White working class because of the racial undertones.

Also remember in the primary how Obama had a "hispanic" problem? Many pundits were trying to make it a "black" vs. "hispanic" thing. Instead it actually was just a "hispanics love the Clintons" thing. Ever since the primaries have ended Obama is utterly dominating the hispanic demographic. But ironically you never hear about McCain's "hispanic" problem. He's actually lagging well behind what Bush had in '04 and '00. Hispanics are also a key demographic for the Midwest swing states yet you don't see them being put on a pedestal by the media like "white" working class people...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Alcibiades said:
"I don't understand these people that flip like that. OK, so she's not a Obama fan. But what issue did Hillary champion that this supporter now feels McCain will represent better than Obama?"

What if Obama got more votes in the primary, neither candidate got enough delegates to cross the magic line, and Hillary is put over the top by party insiders?

What if the so-called Clinton machine ran an operation that intimidated people in the caucus states and "cheated" when they could get away with it?

Issues matter no doubt, but just as hardcore Obama people would be raving mad if Clinton got the nod and then dissed Obama by not even considering him for VP, the opposite of that is true now.

Details about the by-laws, weight of caucus votes vs. primary votes, etc... just don't matter more than the big picture. Now add to that that some Clinton supporters have an emotional attachment and that THEIR PERCEPTION (whether true or false) is that Obama stood by while a sexist media smeared her day after day, and you could see why support for democracy and a "fair primary system" would trump roe-v-wade.

I no more expect that GAF would take seriously anti-Obama views than that "leave britney alone" dude would tolerate anything negative about Britney, but I thought getting that viewpoint out there (whether I agree with it or not) would help.

Hillary can't run a campaign and she brings out too many negatives. When you start out ahead by 20 points in a game and end up losing, it says more about what you've done wrong than what the other person has done right.

Drek

Alcibiades said:

The democratic primary system as it stands now was shaped by the Clintons, as the reigning power for much of the last decade and a half within the party.

So if the primary system is broken, aren't they really to blame? They crafted how all this works. If they thought it was so unfair why didn't they change it when they ran the party?

This "logic" about the primaries not being a fair election of a candidate is the biggest butt hurt argument possibly in the history of politics.

And I'm sure when Obama is elected president and kicks ass all those Clinton44 drones will start lying about voting for McCain and say they were behind Obama all along. Kinda like how no one voted for Bush yet he got elected twice.

Fatalah

Hey, the Obama camp sent me an e-mail to take a survey about the issues I care about.

Hopefully this will keep them on point! Anyone fill it out yet?

Barrett2

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I still don't understand how people still use Palin's family as a trait.

BARACK OBAMA HAS A FAMILY TOO, YOU SHITS.

Obama's kids are black, and Obama's wife works, which means she is not a good mom.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
ugggggh....I just sat through some morning talk show bull shit about this guy following Palin to pick up her kids from school. somehow, this man interpreted this action as a qualifitication for the highest job in the land.

This is so fucking stupid.

Farmboy

mclem said:
Let's say we agree to have a game of chess. You win the game by any measurable standard.

Who has won?

Fixed. Obama won the most pledged delegates and, by any reasonable count, the popular vote. That the superdelegates then broke his way is simply the result of him having won fair and square.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Are we ever going to find out how much of an impact Obama's ground game is changing this election? Is that something than can be gauged? I am tired of hearing the polls of how white suburban women who drive mini-vans are flocking to Palin/McCain.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
SSGMUN10000 said:
Are we ever going to find out how much of an impact Obama's ground game is changing this election? Is that something than can be gauged? I am tired of hearing the polls of how white suburban women who drive mini-vans are flocking to Palin/McCain.
you won't see that until election day, hopefully. while i'm still hopeful that Obama's GOTV and registration efforts will pay off, i wouldn't be surprised if its nebulous strength is just a myth.

Posted yet?

Obama Directly Addresses America in Two-Minute Ad: Plan for Change

Script: In the past few weeks, Wall Street’s been rocked as banks closed and markets tumbled. But for many of you – the people I’ve met in town halls, backyards and diners across America – our troubled economy isn’t news. 600,000 Americans have lost their jobs since January. Paychecks are flat and home values are falling. It’s hard to pay for gas and groceries and if you put it on a credit card they’ve probably raised your rates. You’re paying more than ever for health insurance that covers less and less. This isn’t just a string of bad luck. The truth is that while you’ve been living up to your responsibilities Washington has not. That’s why we need change. Real change. This is no ordinary time and it shouldn’t be an ordinary election. But much of this campaign has been consumed by petty attacks and distractions that have nothing to do with you or how we get America back on track. Here’s what I believe we need to do. Reform our tax system to give a $1,000 tax break to the middle class instead of showering more on oil companies and corporations that outsource our jobs. End the “anything goes” culture on Wall Street with real regulation that protects your investments and pensions. Fast track a plan for energy ‘made-in-America’ that will free us from our dependence on mid-east oil in 10 years and put millions of Americans to work. Crack down on lobbyists – once and for all -- so their back-room deal-making no longer drowns out the voices of the middle class and undermines our common interests as Americans. And yes, bring a responsible end to this war in Iraq so we stop spending billions each month rebuilding their country when we should be rebuilding ours. Doing these things won’t be easy. But we’re Americans. We’ve met tough challenges before. And we can again. I’m Barack Obama. I hope you’ll read my economic plan. I approved this message because bitter, partisan fights and outworn ideas of the left and the right won’t solve the problems we face today. But a new spirit of unity and shared responsibility will.

I love it :D

Agent Icebeezy

scorcho said:
you won't see that until election day, hopefully. while i'm still hopeful that Obama's GOTV and registration efforts will pay off, i wouldn't be surprised if its nebulous strength is just a myth.

I was watching Anderson Cooper 360 yesterday and they were talking about the inroads that they are making here in my home state of Indiana and how they are trying to get 750k registrations before October 6th. Axelrod and Obama has done the registration thing before to great success. They know what they are doing.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1840141,00.html

Obama Banks on the Ground Game

Underestimating a surge of new voters was, in some ways, Hillary Clinton's downfall in the primaries. In Iowa, the Clinton campaign expected 150,000 people to caucus, but they came in third place when more than 230,000 people ultimately participated. The Obama campaign "has enthusiasm, they have a lot of people, they have money to finance in a serious way ground operations, and they have the resources in terms of good lists at their disposal," says Harold Ickes, a Democratic strategist and former top adviser to Hillary Clinton. "If the McCain people think that that's not serious, they're in for a big surprise. They should not pooh-pooh the ground game that Obama is mounting; it's a formidable one. I don't think in my experience in Democratic politics there's ever been anything like it." Ickes' company, Catalyst, compiled one of the voter lists that the Obama campaign is using — which includes not only all 180 million registered voters but an additional 80 million unregistered eligible adults.

LCGeek said:
Nah even instigator's avatar's leave me dazzled. I knew using that photo would stir emotions.

Flattery will get you nowhere. You know we want to see the full size picture your avatar is based on. If you feel this would derail this topic, just send a PM instead. :D

P.S. I'm guessing Ronito would like that too.

gcubed

this country seriously needs to make election day a national holiday... its pretty stupid that its not.

Qwerty710710 said:
If you ask me I think ground game is highly overrated didn't the Kerry campaign tried to do the same? I hope I'm wrong though.

Kerry's ground game wasnt even in the same league as Bush, let alone Obamas.

Qwerty710710 said:
If you ask me I think ground game is highly overrated didn't the Kerry campaign tried to do the same? I hope I'm wrong though.

It's simply something that can't be effectively gauged and analyzed until post election. For good reason most people think Obama will have a better ground game than Kerry did but it's still something people should count as a nebulous extra rather than a money in the bank hidden 2% advantage or something because its an unknown factor.

Pimpwerx

FightyF said:
I thought everyone got this. The sponsors list included NYTimes, so I just assumed. Yes, on Sunday I got a DVD with the Miami-Herald that's supposed to expose muslim extremism, but I threw that shit in the trash. I assumed it was old news. Let me see if I can't find it in the bin so I can post some of the great quotes on the packaging. PEACE.

tanod

when is my burrito
Qwerty710710 said:

The GOTV and the ad campaign that the Kerry campaign ran were actually controlled by two different third parties (like a 527) that the campaign couldn't directly coordinate with. Obama's operation is all in-house and you severely underestimate how far the Democrats were behind the Republican's GOTV operation.

Taking public financing neutered Kerry's campaign.

I just love this story LOL

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...nton-backer-and-dnc-member-to-endorse-mccain/

Obama should seriously make an ad about this "Another DNC elitist for McCain"

maynerd

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Two-minute ad? Wow. Can someone condense that into a nice 30 second trailer with only the meaty one-liners? Who's got two whole minutes to watch a political ad?

Yeah it's pretty sad that the people in this country can't be bothered to listen for 2 minutes about very important issues facing the country, they have to have flashy pictures and sound bites.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I still don't understand how people still use Palin's family as a trait.

BARACK OBAMA HAS A FAMILY TOO, YOU SHITS.

Middle America can relate better to having a dumb, knocked-up, seventeen-year-old white girl in the family.

Barrett2

Qwerty710710 said:

Normally I would agree, but remember, this years' Democratic primaries saw a MASSIVE increase in turnout. I think Obama will see a very real turnout increase compared to what Kerry got. I don't know if it will be enough for a stealth electoral domination, but I do think it could be a factor pushing him over the top in a few states.

gcubed

Incognito said:
Obama +2

Their last poll had McCain +5

not that Zogby has a very good history, people need to remember that the EV swing on 538 and the like are usually 1 week behind any kind of national swing

HylianTom

Banned
lawblob said:
Normally I would agree, but remember, this years' Democratic primaries saw a MASSIVE increase in turnout. I think Obama will see a very real turnout increase compared to what Kerry got. I don't know if it will be enough for a stealth electoral domination, but I do think it could be a factor pushing him over the top.

This is one x-factor that will make me kinda hold my breath on Election Night, no matter what the polls may be showing. We start with Indiana and Kentucky poll closings that evening, and if Indiana numbers emerge with McCain winning by single-digits, I'm going to be bouncing off of the walls.

Agent Icebeezy

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gbJvGZDG9ZD_SsuZpy-SSApOaW7AD93858M00

Women's rights groups endorse Obama for president

By ANN SANNER – 13 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Women's rights groups endorsed Barack Obama for president Tuesday, asserting the historic selection of a female Republican vice presidential candidate does not make up for John McCain's lack of support on issues important to women.

"We don't think it's much to break a glass ceiling for one woman and leave millions of women behind," said Eleanor Smeal, chairman of the Feminist Majority Political Action Committee.

Smeal was among leaders from six organizations that announced their endorsement of the Democratic presidential nominee at a news conference.

Obama also won the support of the National Organization for Women, which said it has not endorsed a candidate for president since Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro shared the Democratic ticket in 1984. Ferraro was the first female major-party vice presidential candidate.

NOW backed New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in the primaries. "We join with her in saying 'no,'" said NOW President Kim Gandy, referring to a line Clinton used at the Democratic convention last month. "No way, no how, no McCain."

Gandy and Smeal dismissed polls that suggested McCain has received a boost in support from white women after he picked Palin.

"The die is not cast yet," Smeal said.

An Associated Press-GfK Poll of likely voters last week showed Obama's lead among women at 49 percent to 44 percent. The same AP-GfK poll showed that white women are backing McCain over Obama, 53 percent to 40 percent.

Gandy predicted women will quickly swing their support to Obama once they know where Palin stands on the issues. The Alaska governor opposes abortion except in the case of a threat to the mother's life.

However, data from the recent AP-GfK poll suggests that it might be difficult for Obama to win over some white women.

The survey, conducted Sept. 5-10, found 65 percent of working-class white women say Palin shares their values, 71 percent said so of McCain, compared to 52 percent for Obama and 46 percent for Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden.

The McCain campaign said it was unhappy with NOW's decision to endorse Obama.

"It's extremely disappointing that an organization that purports to be an advocate for all women not only opposes but feels compelled to go out of its way to criticize and make negative comments about the only ticket in the presidential race with a woman on the ticket," Palin's spokeswoman Maria Comella said in an e-mail.

Smeal said the organizations have and will continue to protest any sexism in the presidential campaign, but she added, "We think it's time to get off issues such as lipstick and on to the issues, really, that are challenging this nation."

Gandy criticized Republicans for changing their tone on sexism.

"I love it that Republicans have discovered sexism in the media," she said. "Because they didn't see any of it when it was being directed at Hillary Clinton. But once Sarah Palin got a dose of it, which we also pointed out, they were all over it." She did not explain how her group defended Palin from sexism.

Obama was also endorsed by leaders from Business and Professional Women/USA, the National Association of Social Workers, the National Congress of Black Women and the Women's Information Network.

Incognito said:
Obama +2

Their last poll had McCain +5

"We're back to where we always thought we would be -- in a very competitive race," pollster John Zogby said.

The poll, taken Thursday through Saturday, follows a hectic month in the race to the November 4 election as both parties held their nominating conventions and both candidates selected their vice presidential running mates.

McCain's choice of Sarah Palin, an anti-abortion and pro-gun first-term governor from Alaska, as his No. 2 set off a political firestorm that helped stoke conservative enthusiasm for the Republican ticket.

But Zogby said Palin also helped solidify Democratic support for Obama. "For the last few weeks it's been all about Palin and she has been a divisive force," he said. "She has shored up the base for both candidates."

Obama, who struggled to solidify Democrats in August when just 74 percent backed him, now has the support of 89 percent of Democrats. McCain's support among Republicans grew from 81 percent last month to 89 percent

The Illinois senator wiped out McCain's 5-point August lead among independents and expanded his edge over McCain among women, two crucial swing voting blocs in November.

Obama now has a statistically insignificant 1-point edge over McCain among independents and has a 7-point lead among women, up from a 2-point advantage last month.

He also gained ground among Catholics and older voters, but lost support to McCain among suburban voters and small-town residents.

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMo...080917?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=10112

GhaleonEB

gcubed said:
not that Zogby has a very good history, people need to remember that the EV swing on 538 and the like are usually 1 week behind any kind of national swing
Zogby is pretty good, it's Zogby Interactive that blows.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/search/label/pollster ratings

Middle of the pack.

Daily Kos/Research 2000 daily tracker is out. Total is unchanged from yesterday, Obama +4. But yesterday's daily sample was Obama +5, so if that holds it goes up tomorrow.

Also, Palin has a net unfavorable rating of -1 now. It's dropped every single day of their poll. McCain only has a +3 favorability.

Loudninja

scorcho said:
a friend of mine is working on Obama's registration drives and they're doing damn well. he's working 12 hour days, but the ground game is making a ton of progress.

now let's see if these newly registered voters actually go out to vote...

Thats great to hear.:D

Pimpwerx

img0046lg5.jpg

img0047tx7.jpg

For those who weren't blessed with this in their weekend paper. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom