• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish Heath Ledger stepped on stage when Obama announced his Vice President. I had it perfectly planned in my head:

Obama VP introduction said:
"John Mccain Asks a lot of questions. Is Obama experienced? Will he be there at 3 am? Is he ready to lead?

Well. I have just one question for you, John McCain.

Why So Serious?"

That political ticket would be unstoppable.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Obama has said he would not run again if he lost this election. If he loses, then this country does not deserve him as a leader, and we should all pack our bags and go the fuck home.

It's as simple as that.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Cloudy said:
Question for you guys. If Obama loses, do you think he'd run again? He has a huge following so I'm sure the Dems would like him to..

He would have had he lost in the primaries, but you don't get two chances after the nomination, not anymore, maybe 50 years ago, if I week is a lifetime in politics, imagine how long 4 years are.

Anyway, Obama-Biden have to seriously, seriously fuck up to lose this election. If the democrats don't win the presidency this year, they won't for the forseeable future.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
reilo said:
Obama has said he would not run again if he lost this election. If he loses, then this country does not deserve him as a leader, and we should all pack our bags and go the fuck home.

It's as simple as that.

The international community is going to shit on us if he loses.

ArtG

polyh3dron said:
Primaries would be epic... Obama vs. Hillary: ROUND 2

Hillary should win that matchup easily, if Obama lost this election. They'd just point to his failed campaign and it'd be over.

Chiggs said:
My concern with this is what happens to this plan when costs start to skyrocket and more is being taken out than what's being put in. Federal bail out? Does it cease to be optional at some point? I'm worried about what it would become, I guess. I can't deny the fact that there are so many things wrong with health care in this country today, but reacting out of pure emotion and hastily implementing a plan might not be the best option, either.

I know something has to be done, but the cost could be stratospheric, and I'm worried about that.

hastily??? Democrats have been attempting to fix this since Clinton's first term over a decade ago. You make it seem like this is something slapdash that was put together purely for this campaign- That's not the case, and we've had plenty of good examples in the successful programs being run in canada and the EU to use as examples in the meantime.

It's only Republicans that are late to the party on this one.

Atrus

Gold Member
Clevinger said:
Ignorance does not equate idiocy. It also doesn't help when they have a news media that perpetuates the false narrative.

Only for people that lack the opportunity to alleviate themselves of it. The media can be blamed for it's infotainment over journalism but the people are fully to blame for their lack of critical thinking.

GhaleonEB

Questions that should be asked, RE: troopergate:

"This week, seven key witnesses informed Mr. Branchflower through their attorneys that they would not provide depositions. Their depositions, which had been agreed to and scheduled earlier with Mr. Branchflower, were cancelled within the last 72 hours."

So isn't there anyone with investigatory power, or even just lawyerly or reportorial skills, who could inquire into exactly how all these witnesses to "troopergate" happened to obtain lawyers and then all follow the exact same tactic in the same 72 hours? Who are their lawyers; who is paying their lawyers? And many other questions that follow.
http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/06/lawyers_troopergate_and_questi/

Seven witnesses, all of whom had aggreed to testify, all clammed up right after McCain's team sent a squad of 10 up to Alaska and Palin got a lawyer.

reilo said:

It's as simple as that.

But where is home? Gary Whitta has said he will move back to the UK. I suppose home is wherever in the world you may have been born or where your family is originally from. Moving to Canada is always an option as well.

reilo

Agent Icebeezy said:

Rightfully so.

MassiveAttack said:
But where is home? Gary Whitta has said he will move back to the UK. I suppose home is wherever in the world you may have been born or where your family is originally from. Moving to Canada is always an option as well.

Metaphorically speaking...

Meaning, I doubt I would ever vote again if Obama lost. I have become so attached to this election that I'd probably lose my noodle.

ezekial45

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

I still remember as clear as day when Bush won his 2nd election. Especially that British magazine cover asking how 59+ million can be so dumb.

EDIT: At the moment, i'm extremely concerned if the dems are gonna win or not. Especially after all we've been through.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
reilo said:

It's as simple as that.

You're letting this get to you. No matter who wins nothing is going to change. It will be business as usual. There are some differences between the two parties but the important issues will continue to go unaddressed.

Things like immigration, national debt, and the continuing SS disaster will still remain.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Clevinger said:
Ignorance does not equate idiocy. It also doesn't help when they have a news media that perpetuates the false narrative.
In this day and age of instant access to information, ignorance can (and in some cases should) be equated to idiocy.

It is fine and dandy to hold different opinions. But voting for a candidate you don't know is pure idiocy.

Kolgar

ViperVisor said:
Palin has her stuff together in the speech going on now. Doesn't have to look down at the notes.

But is zipping through it and seems more like running through an audio book recording session.

Well, the teleprompter was borked during her big speech last week--apparently, it cut off the first two lines of each paragraph--and she got through that just fine.

But I'm very disappointed that the ticket's speech writers have apparently gone on vacation. The stuff they're reading in Colorado right now is a carbon copy of last week's speeches. It's OLD already. I honestly had to turn the channel, it sounded so embarrassing. (Doesn't help that McCain's delivery is stumbling and awkward.)

I really think that McCain and Palin have compelling messages--they're just not delivering them. Everything sounds too "speechy." Listening to them, it's easy to conclude they don't have anything substantial to say, and that's nobody's fault but theirs.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Manmademan said:
hastily??? Democrats have been attempting to fix this since Clinton's first term over a decade ago.

Wasn't Hillary Clinton paid off by the insurance companies during the 90's when she was going toe-to-toe with them? And yes, I realize there were other Democrats talking about health care at the time, but she certainly seemed to be the leader.

Cooter said:
You're letting this get to you. No matter who wins nothing is going to change. It will be business as usual. There are some differences between the two parties but the important issues will continue to go unaddressed.

Things like immigration, national debt, and the continuing SS disaster will still remain.

This is the line that was trotted out for Bush/Gore, and I'd think most would agree it has been ROUNDLY and THOROUGHLY debunked by the last 8 years.

Do you honestly think America would be in the same shape, given a Gore Administration over the past 8 years? really?

Cooter said:

And therefore we should vote for the person more likely to fuck things up, amirite?

Cooter

Manmademan said:
This is the line that was trotted out for Bush/Gore, and I'd think most would agree it has been ROUNDLY and THOROUGHLY debunked by the last 8 years.

Do you honestly think America would be in the same shape, given a Gore Administration over the past 8 years? really?

We wouldn't be in Iraq and the economy would be in bad shape IMO. The infused capital in the market saved us after 9/11.

polyh3dron said:
And therefore we should vote for the person more likely to fuck things up, amirite?

You can vote for whoever you want but don't act like it's the end of the world if your candidate loses.

Trurl

Banned
Chiggs said:
My concern with this is what happens to this plan when costs start to skyrocket and more is being taken out than what's being put in. Federal bail out? Does it cease to be optional at some point? I'm worried about what it would become, I guess. I can't deny the fact that there are so many things wrong with health care in this country today, but reacting out of pure emotion and hastily implementing a plan might not be the best option, either.

I know something has to be done, but the cost could be stratospheric, and I'm worried about that.
Yeah, I'm worried that the people who take advantage of it will skew heavily to the people who think they will need to spend money on health care in the near future so that the program will just be a big drain. Clinton's plan really did sound a lot more responsible to me.

This seems to talk about the potential problem:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Rk...=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA82,M1

reilo

Cooter said:

BULLSHIT.

If Gore was in charge the past 8 years, this country would be a LOT better off.
Cooter said:
We wouldn't be in Iraq and the economy would be in bad shape IMO. The infused capital in the market saved us after 9/11.

You can vote for whoever you want but don't act like it's the end of the world if your candidate loses.

The economy would be in bad shape? Really? Gore would have made our economy worse by continuing the fiscal responsibility that Clinton employed for 8 successful years?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Manmademan said:

Of course not. But would have 9/11 still occured? Would Katrina still have wrecked New Orleans? Bush was a shitty President, but he also had a lot of shitty things happen during his 8 years.

polyh3dron said:
Republicans run again after losing all the time.

not really. Gerald Ford lost to Carter and didn't run again.
George H.W. Bush lost to Clinton- didn't run again.
Bob Dole lost to Clinton- didn't run again.

It's not uncommon for a loss in the PRIMARY to result in a run in the next 4 years or so, but usually if you go down in flames during the big show, that's it for you.

Tamanon

Banned
Chiggs said:
Of course not. But would have 9/11 still occured? Would Katrina still have wrecked New Orleans? Bush was a shitty President, but he also had a lot of shitty things happen during his 8 years.

9/11 would've still occured maybe, but we wouldn't have responded by invading Iraq.

Cooter

reilo said:
BULLSHIT.

If Gore was in charge the past 8 years, this country would be a LOT better off.

You overestimate how different things would actually be.

reilo

Chiggs said:

And he managed to fuck up every single one of those things. Katrina happened, yes, it was unfortunate, but that does not excuse the failures of this administration in how they handled it.

It also does not excuse that Bush and co took this country into Iraq on false pretenses by playing the American public off of 9/11.

Cooter said:
You overestimate how different things would actually be.

No, I'm really not.

AniHawk

Chiggs said:

Would Gore had waited so long before sending help to Katrina? Would Gore have invaded Iraq? Remember, Hussein didn't try to kill Gore's daddy.

Chiggs said:

uh, 9/11 would have occurred, but...one more time..Iraq had NOTHING TO DO with 9/11.

nothing at all.

The US is hit by hurricanes all the time, but Katrina was a direct result of Bush appointing someone entirely unqualified to run FEMA, who fucked up the response.

The national debt is at stratospheric levels right now, due to the bush tax cuts and the costs of the iraq war. Both of these have devalued our currency to historic lows versus other stronger foreign currencies. So imported goods (like gasoline!) cost more. I work for an industrial supplier and we've seen the cost of certain raw materials go up over 50% in the past year alone for the same damn reason.

The bottom line is that your money is worth less, and things cost more, due to the policies of THIS administration alone.

None of these things would have resulted during a Gore administration, because they were an explicit result of Bush administration policies. FACT.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Manmademan said:
uh, 9/11 would have occurred, but...one more time..Iraq had NOTHING TO DO with 9/11.

nothing at all.

The US is hit by hurricanes all the time, but Katrina was a direct result of Bush appointing someone entirely unqualified to run FEMA, who fucked up the response.

The national debt is at stratospheric levels right now, due to the bush tax cuts and the costs of the iraq war. Both of these have devalued our currency to historic lows versus other stronger foreign currencies. So imported goods (like gasoline!) cost more. I work for an industrial supplier and we've seen the cost of certain raw materials go up over 50% in the past year alone for the same damn reason.

None of these things would have resulted during a Gore administration, because they were an explicit result of Bush administration policies. FACT.
I'm sure 8 years ago people were saying the same thing..... "Gore, Bush, in the end there will be no difference". Thank you america.

Kolgar

polyh3dron said:
Republicans run again after losing all the time.

Dem losers become exiles. Dukakkis, Mondale, Humphrey, MacGovern, etc (Stevenson got the nomination twice though). If Obama loses he's said he won't run again, and even if he tried to run there's no way he'd be successful. The party shuns losers, and I'd imagine many people are more than willing to turn their backs on Obama and move back into the Clinton's good graces.

The media keeps running these "is the GOP dead" stories but in reality if the democrats lose this year it would be the ultimate failure. Hillary would be a lock in 2012 because I'd imagine dems would once again become obsessed with perceived electability ala 2004. Clinton would destroy McCain

Chiggs said:

People aren't upset just because Katrina wrecked New Orleans. They are upset by the response and the attitude to it. They are upset essentially by his actions. I think a lot of Republicans think all liberals don't like Bush because of personality issues when for the most people it's all policy issues or how he handled things. If it's personality issues in a few cases it's when he displayed contempt for basic principles we believe in. There was never this level of hate for his father because his father wasn't this bad policy wise.

Cooter

relio said:
The economy would be in bad shape? Really? Gore would have made our economy worse by continuing the fiscal responsibility that Clinton employed for 8 successful years?

Clinton didn't have fiscal responsibility he had a historic period of high revenue due to the tech boom. Without the tax cuts we would have been in bad shape after 9/11. The spending by this adminstration is deplorable and one of Bush's biggest failures.

Cooter said:
81274007ri2.gif

Trurl

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Dem losers become exiles. Dukakkis, Mondale, Humphrey, MacGovern, etc (Stevenson got the nomination twice though). If Obama loses he's said he won't run again, and even if he tried to run there's no way he'd be successful. The party shuns losers, and I'd imagine many people are more than willing to turn their backs on Obama and move back into the Clinton's good graces.

The media keeps running these "is the GOP dead" stories but in reality if the democrats lose this year it would be the ultimate failure. Hillary would be a lock in 2012 because I'd imagine dems would once again become obsessed with perceived electability ala 2004. Clinton would destroy McCain
If McCain wins a 2012 election between Hillary and Palin seems really likely. Kind of incredible.

Cooter

Is it hard to believe that tax cuts stimulate and strengthen an economy? Is it that hard to grasp?

demon said:
I'm sure 8 years ago people were saying the same thing..... "Gore, Bush, in the end there will be no difference". Thank you america.
In fact they did... I know I did. I figured voting for Gore would be the lesser of 2 evils and I remember most people thinking that way one way or the other.

Cooter said:
Clinton didn't have fiscal responsibility he had a historic period of high revenue due to the tech boom. Without the tax cuts we would have been in bad shape after 9/11. The spending by this adminstration is deplorable and one of Bush's biggest failures.

COMPLETELY false. The Economy was riding entirely on the back of the housing industry since 9/11, much as it was "riding high" on the tech boom during the clinton years. The tax cuts had nothing to do with this, ridiculously shady loans and easy credit did.

When THAT collapsed due to bad loans and lack of oversight, shit hit the fan and the US is on a fast track to a recession. The Bush tax cuts did nothing, which should be obvious since they're STILL THERE, but the economy is in shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom