• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
GhaleonEB said:
Normal.

2764497795_36019bb1d1_o.png

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/08/what-convention-bounce-looks-like.html
:-/ we have to wait til the end of the month to balance this out?

Cheebs

SpeedingUptoStop said:
:-/ we have to wait til the end of the month to balance this out?
Potentially longer since McCain has outperformed the height of that chart (height of that chart was +2, McCain hit +3 today)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Cheebs said:
Potentially longer since McCain has outperformed the height of that chart (height of that chart was +2, McCain hit +3 today)

The chart is an average of previous convention bumps.

Cheebs

reilo said:
The chart is an average of previous convention bumps.
Thats why I said potentially longer? Since he out-performed the average.

Oh and Sarah Palin will be interviewed by Charles Gibson, THIS WEEK.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:
Uh...no. Gallup polls cellphone users. They are one of the few polling outlets to heavily poll cellphone users.
Really? Well the more you know I guess

thekad said:
I assume you're talking about Ghaleon's GOTV analysis. I want to believe, but I'm still not confident about the overall intelligence of the American electorate.

And grandjedi will probably attack me for that comment :p
333hkj5.gif

:p

JayDubya

Banned
Frank the Great said:
I was trying to use logic to explain why the hell someone would analyze a sentence in a 330 year old document and argue that the text of the document MUST be followed EXACTLY.

As opposed to what, not being followed at all?

I think I did a pretty good job. If you approach law with the idea that it is purely defined by the state, then I can see how a strict interpretation of the Constitution can be valued.

No, it can be altered through the Amendment process, which is lengthy and requires ratification by state legislatures. Of course it's not perfect, and if you're saying I said otherwise, you put words in my mouth.

You are not using logic though, apparently. You think that the Constitution should be strictly followed, but you qualify the laws in the Constitution with whether they are "good" or not.

Clearly, when I state that I would support Constitutional amendments to overturn Constitutional amendments, it would be a statement that I find at least some elements of the current makeup of the Constitution deleterious to the document's overall merit, no matter how relatively meritorious I may find it to be.

I also stated clearly my criterion for "good."

If you think it is possible for the Constitution to have bad law in it, then your whole process of analyzing the text and interpreting it literally logically falls apart.

Not in the least.

On the one hand you're talking about clarifying the meaning of existing law.
On the other hand you're talking about the merits of a law and whether or not it should exist.

So if you oppose it, you should try to get it changed. The left can't change it because it's not politically feasible to do so, so they instead try to attack its meaning.

I'm not particularly surprised by the bump (As everyone was expecting it). In fact, the idea of a McCain presidency isn't even that upsetting to me anymore.

I'm sure you're asking why, so I'll tell you; the intelligent and educated people of this country will find a way to survive. They're the ones who keep their investments balanced, have contingency plans for layoffs, and generally think about their futures past the upcoming week.

The people who are too stupid to actually research the positions of these candidates deserve to be crushed. They deserve to lose their jobs and have their families suffer in financial ruin. The people who McCain will hurt the most aren't the people that are the most supportive of Obama; they're the lemmings who are working dead-end jobs and grunting in approval as they troll Wal-Mart and hear the empty words of their favorite GOP talking head on television. They deserve the lackluster education model that will shape their children's minds and they deserve to face the realization that they can't afford to send them to college when they get older.

Maybe people will learn their lesson if they have to endure another four years. Maybe not. The people who slap away the hand that is trying to help them for the hand that is holding them down deserve everything that is coming to them. I'm going to enjoy watching this, either way.

ronito

JayDubya said:
It's really getting to the point where either you tone it down, I put you on ignore, or I get banned before I remember to put you on ignore.
bah, you couldn't put me on ignore. First off, we're united by the manly love of Vagrant Story bonds stronger than any political party.

Secondly, being a superhero is boring without a proper assortment of villains .Believe me with APF, and SD gone this is more and more apparent. With Triumph and APF gone Poligaf deserves a better class of political snarkery and you can fill in the rest.

Gary Whitta said:
Biden is kicking ass on Meet the Press, this guy OWNS. How is Palin going to compete with this?

Expectations are so low that if she manages to stand 10 feet away from Biden without spontaneously bursting into flames it'll be considered a resounding success.

reilo

No wonder I haven't seen him on here. Why did APF leave this time?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
WickedAngel said:
I'm sure you're asking why, so I'll tell you; the intelligent and educated people of this country will find a way to survive. They're the ones who keep their investments balanced, have contingency plans for layoffs, and generally think about their futures past the upcoming week.

The people who are too stupid to actually research the positions of these candidates deserve to be crushed. They deserve to lose their jobs and have their families suffer in financial ruin.

You are no longer welcome in the Democratic party unless you bring cake for everyone.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
If the Democrats can't win after 8 years of some of the worst Republican presidency ever, how can they ever win again? it's seriously bizarre how close this is.

WickedAngel said:
I'm not particularly surprised by the bump (As everyone was expecting it). In fact, the idea of a McCain presidency isn't even that upsetting to me anymore.

The people who are too stupid to actually research the positions of these candidates deserve to be crushed. They deserve to lose their jobs and have their families suffer in financial ruin. The people who McCain will hurt the most aren't the people that are the most supportive of Obama; they're the lemmings who are working dead-end jobs and grunting in approval as they troll Wal-Mart and hear the empty words of their favorite GOP talking head on television. They deserve the lackluster education model that will shape their children's minds and they deserve to face the realization that they can't afford to send them to college when they get older.

Maybe people will learn their lesson if they have to endure another four years. Maybe not. The people who slap away the hand that is trying to help them for the hand that is holding them down deserve everything that is coming to them. I'm going to enjoy watching this, either way.

Hold on there chief. "keeping my investments balanced" and "having contingency plans" is basically worthless considering the possibility of a far right wing supreme court for the next 20 years.

I'd also like adequate funding for public education, a stronger dollar so my wages go farther, lots of other things. I also have family, and would not enjoy seeing relatives who may not be quite as sharp as I am sent off to any more unneccessary military conflicts.

The scenario you describe would only lead to a widening between the haves and have-nots, and that's also not the kind of america I'd like to live in.

"smart planning" won't solve all of your problems. the election DOES matter, and there's a lot at stake.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
If the Democrats can't win after 8 years of some of the worst Republican presidency ever, how can they ever win again? it's seriously bizarre how close this is.
There are a lot of very very stupid people in this country.

reilo

Why doesn't the Obama campaign ever bring up the fact that McCain missed 50+ consecutive senate votes?

SpeedingUptoStop said:

The Democratic candidate is a black man.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Frank the Great said:

PS. I don't think people realize just how damn close even 2004 was.
Five sends it to the house, I want a clinched victory.
thekad said:
Hitokage: Colorado is a toss-up; Obama could as easily lose that state as win.
That's not the only state he could get them from, you know. He can roll the dice again.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

secession! New meaning to battleground state.

I like how Brokaw made a point of saying that Palin has been invited to appear on MTP with no response as yet.

It's gotten me thinking - what is the longest amount of time to elapse between a VP candidate being announced and that candidate being made available to the media? Because I bet Palin's going to beat that record if she hasn't already.

It's embarrassing that she would have to be so prepped and coached for something like this. If you're able to be one bad pretzel away from the nuclear launch codes, you should be able to handle a TV interview without weeks of coaching. But I guess none of that matters because hey, she's got five kids and she's spunky.

Hitokage said:
5 sends it to the house, I want a clinched victory.

I hope the House gets to vote Obama in. That way Republicans can know what its like to feel cheated (and it would be COMPLETELY legal too, unlike 2000. So they won't even be justified in their anger.)

Anyway, these are pure toss-ups at this point:

CO
VI
NV
OH
FL

Can someone do the math and figure out the odds of O-man not winning at least ONE of those?

reilo

Frank the Great said:
I hope the House gets to vote Obama in. That way Republicans can know what its like to feel cheated (and it would be COMPLETELY legal too, unlike 2000. So they won't even be justified in their anger.)

Anyway, these are pure toss-ups at this point:

CO
VI
NV
OH
FL

Can someone do the math and figure out the odds of O-man not winning at least ONE of those?

2837148242_64b9807baf_o.png

Does that help?

Gary Whitta said:
I like how Brokaw made a point of saying that Palin has been invited to appear on MTP with no response as yet.

It's gotten me thinking - what is the longest amount of time to elapse between a VP candidate being announced and that candidate being made available to the media? Because I bet Palin's going to beat that record if she hasn't already.

It's embarrassing that she would have to be so prepped and coached for something like this. If you're able to be one bad pretzel away from the nuclear launch codes, you should be able to handle a TV interview without weeks of coaching. But I guess none of that matters because hey, she's got five kids and she's spunky.

what station is meet the press on?

Mandark said:
You are no longer welcome in the Democratic party unless you bring cake for everyone.

Watching those people be crushed under the poor economic strategy of another eight years of Republican rule would be the best thing to happen to the Democratic party in a long time.

Manmademan said:
Hold on there chief. "keeping my investments balanced" and "having contingency plans" is basically worthless considering the possibility of a far right wing supreme court for the next 20 years.

I'd also like adequate funding for public education, a stronger dollar so my wages go farther, lots of other things. I also have family, and would not enjoy seeing relatives who may not be quite as sharp as I am sent off to any more unneccessary military conflicts.

The scenario you describe would only lead to a widening between the haves and have-nots, and that's also not the kind of america I'd like to live in.

"smart planning" won't solve all of your problems. the election DOES matter, and there's a lot at stake.

I'm talking about survival, not prosperity.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Lemonz said:
Obama Spokesperson Robert Gibbs kicked ass this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l304a7nGk44

I fucking hate her. She sure is fuckable though.

And this is what I mean. So much bullshit, and an uninformed viewer would have no idea how to parse the bullshit, and know which of the 2 is lying.

After trying to paint Obama as an empty celebrity, I love how the first thing they always bring up as Palin's qualifications is that 'SHE'S POPULAR!'. Imagine is democratic pundits tried to defend Obama by saying the same thing. HE'S POPULAR! Jesus Christ.

Gruco

Banned
I don't remember said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDanBpj298s
So, so awesome. I hope we get to see something like that on the debates, but they'll probably coach Palin to avoid walking into it. Reminds me of Kerry's epic smackdown of Bush on North Korea.

And for everyone worried about the polls, remember: Electoral math.

There have been a ton of posts on this over the last few days, but this recent kos diary sums it up pretty well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom