• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoxManiac said:
What the fuck do people need auto or semi automatic rifles for anyways?

It's amazing how these arguments run like clockwork. You can always rest assured that this argument will always come up during a gun rights debate eventually.

Do you have any idea how fundamentally ignorant and absurd that your argument is? Do you have any idea how many things we use in our daily lives that we don't really need?

Mahadev said:
OMG at the city hall :lol

The small town values are charming...

Wasilla_Bitches.sized.jpg

Beavertown

Garbage
WickedAngel said:
You accuse me of parroting the "bullshit" of gun-makers/right wingers without making a single citation throughout your entire spiel.. I guess it's easy to cite "common sense" instead of actually doing the fact-checking and statistic analysis to back up baseless statements.

You've made some serious claims here, the most significant of which are;

1. All violent and serious crimes are inherently tied to firearms.
2. Only 25% of the American population owns a firearm.
3. Heavy restrictions on gun ownership will reduce the amount of crime (Which suggests that the majority of the guns being used in crimes now are legal).

Would you mind telling us where you got this information?

1) My own belief, based on life, personal experiences and yes "common sense"

2) The 25% number comes from the ATF, though I'm not sure if it is up to date.

3) Well, I think it would reduce the amount of some gun crimes (muggings, car jackings, robbery, domestic violence that ends with someone getting shot) the effect may even be more far reaching than that. And yes the guns they are using are or were probably legal at some point in time, and without the gun-makers re-upping the supplies, eventually they will start to run dry.

Lastly, statistics and so called facts are only so useful and hardly tell the true story. You'd be wise to remember that.

WickedAngel said:
It's amazing how these arguments run like clockwork. You can always rest assured that this argument will always come up during a gun rights debate eventually.

Do you have any idea how fundamentally ignorant and absurd that your argument is? Do you have any idea how many things we use in our daily lives that we don't really need?
How many of those things are designed with the express purpose of killing other people?

Mahadev

MassiveAttack said:
The small town values are charming...

http://www.aksoul.com/.albums/album13/Wasilla_Bitches.sized.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

These youngsters have been corrupted by the Hollywood elit and the liberal media. That's why we should vote for Palin, to restore our small town values and the 50's family structure. God bless America.

Beavertown

Garbage
JayDubya said:
Your "common sense" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

OK.

Exactly, because all firearms are intelligent items with high ego scores and can subvert the will of their owner to make them commit crimes. Common sense, indeed.

Confidence, strength, courage, intent.. catching on yet?

Why the quotation marks? Do I get to say that people get abortions "legally" since I don't agree with those?

Fascinating.

Source please, otherwise you're the one spouting idiotic bullshit. There are many millions of responsible gun owners. To say that the majority of gun owners use them to commit crimes is ridiculous.

Show me where I ever said that?

Gary Whitta said:
How many of those things are designed with the express purpose of killing other people?

As with all things in life, guns have more than one purpose. Saying that the only purpose of guns is to "kill people" is dumbing down the argument to a level of intellectual dishonesty that isn't frequently seen on these boards.

Take a different direction if you want to gain some traction because this isn't going to cut it. Any number of things in life can be used maliciously. I could easily walk up behind you with a brick and crush your skull before you even knew what was going on.

Beavertown said:
1) My own belief, based on life, personal experiences and yes "common sense"

2) The 25% number comes from the ATF, though I'm not sure if it is up to date.

3) Well, I think it would reduce the amount of some gun crimes (muggings, car jackings, robbery, domestic violence that ends with someone getting shot) the effect may even be more far reaching than that. And yes the guns they are using are or were probably legal at some point in time, and without the gun-makers re-upping the supplies, eventually they will start to run dry.

Lastly, statistics and so called facts are only so useful and hardly tell the true story. You'd be wise to remember that.

I would like to see the out of date source from the ATF. It's amazing how quickly your rhetoric softened when asked for some citation.

MoxManiac

WickedAngel said:

How many of these things in our lives are extremely dangerous and devastating weapons that's sole existence is to kill other things?

JayDubya

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

I'm pretty sure they're designed to fire high velocity projectiles.

I'm also pretty sure that sometimes, it's just and appropriate to be aiming said projectiles at another human being.

I'm also very sure you have me on ignore because I :lol at animal rights, which is something WickedAngel fights me on too. Oh the tangled web we weave in PoliGAF.

MoxManiac

WickedAngel said:
As with all things in life, guns have more than one purpose. Saying that the only purpose of guns is to "kill people" is dumbing down the argument to a level of intellectual dishonesty that isn't frequently seen on these boards.

Take a different direction if you want to gain some traction because this isn't going to cut it. Any number of things in life can be used maliciously. I could easily walk up behind you with a brick and crush your skull before you even knew what was going on.

Please state some alternate uses for automatic weapons other than killing/harming things.

JayDubya

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Please state some alternate uses for automatic weapons other than killing/harming things.

Aside from target shooting for fun, you can also use them to make cars and barrels explode if videogames are any indication.

Also, there are plenty of things that are totally kosher for killing / harming. Including humans, based on the circumstances.

So, is it still true that the flag story was fabricated?

I need an official, non-blog site that says it to show to my dad. However, that's all I've seen, and Fox still has the story up on their website.

MoxManiac said:

*Clarification*

I do not support automatic weapons.

As for semi-automatic assault rifles for civilians? Self-defense or hobby shooting. Their needs for self-defense would be better served with a shotgun but that doesn't mean an assault rifle can't be used for it.

Again, you dumb down the argument to "killing" things. Do you refer to police as "killers" when they defend themselves or the populace from a violent criminal?

JayDubya said:

I'm also pretty sure that sometimes, it's just and appropriate to be aiming said projectiles at another human being.

I'm also very sure you have me on ignore because I :lol at animal rights, which is something WickedAngel fights me on too. Oh the tangled web we weave in PoliGAF.

I get frustrated with you and Gaborn on a number of things but I wouldn't put you guys on ignore.

JayDubya said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I disagree with everything I've ever seen you write. Also, nice smartass answer on the guns, btw.

True Republican style - ignore facts, lack compassion and be a jerk about it the whole time.

M3wThr33

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
So, is it still true that the flag story was fabricated?

I need an official, non-blog site that says it to show to my dad. However, that's all I've seen, and Fox still has the story up on their website.
Why do you want to show your dad?

MoxManiac

JayDubya said:
Aside from target shooting for fun, you can also use them to make cars and barrels explode if videogames are any indication.

Also, there's some things that are totally kosher for killing / harming.

You can't use a regular gun/rifle for that?

I'm aware that rednecks love them huntin', I just don't see why an automatic rifle is required.

woxel1

JayDubya said:

Also, there's some things that are totally kosher for killing / harming.
Who's freaking side are you on?
I guess this is the Off-Topic forum, but still! Jeez.

MoxManiac said:
How many of these things in our lives are extremely dangerous and devastating weapons that's sole existence is to kill other things?

Knives, more people die from stabs than gun shots, you also forget that shooting is also a sport like target practice or skeet shooting (Olympics). Then we can get into the whole self defense argument. Man, why don't we ban scissors then, I use them regularly but they can become a deadly weapon.

WickedAngel said:

*counts to ten*

What is the primary purpose of a brick? To construct walls. Can it also be used to stove someone's head in? Sure. So could a million things.

What is the primary purpose of a TEC-9 or AK-47? To kill people. Not to hunt animals, to kill people. Every aspect of its design and manufacture has this purpose solely in mind. I guess you could also use it to bang in a nail or prop open a door or something, but its sole practical purpose is to kill people. Maybe I'm missing a myriad other totally valid uses that these weapons have, in which case I'm sure you'll be quick to point them out.

MoxManiac

CrazedArabMan said:
Knives, more people die from stabs than gun shots, you also forget that shooting is also a sport like target practice or skeet shooting (Olympics). Then we can get into the whole self defense argument. Man, why don't we ban scissors then, I use them regularly but they can become a deadly weapon.

Knives are also used to cut materials and serve food. Scissors are used to cut paper and other similar materials. Do they even use semi-auto/automatic rifles for skeet shooting?

MoxManiac said:
Knives are also used to cut materials and serve food. Scissors are used to cut paper and other similar materials. Do they even use semi-auto/automatic rifles for skeet shooting?
Don't tell me you missed this year's Mini-Uzi Drive-By Finals at Beijing, they were a real nail-biter!

JayDubya

Banned
Wicked, would you kindly point out to Gary that there's plenty of occasions where people need killing?

M3wThr33 said:
Only if you want to cheat.

I think the composite longbow is cheating. A real man chucks spears.

devilhawk

CharlieDigital said:
What exactly are you downgrading them for? Where has the SC gotten it woefully wrong?

I mean, things could be better for sure (especially the economy), but it's not exactly like we're in the shitter. So I'm really curious what you think is so bad about the overall direction taken by the SC.
The problem with the SC and the lower courts are not how they are leaning. It is that the judges are legislating from the bench. That is what needs to stop.

Wallach

So, do people really think further gun laws are going to reduce gun crime rates? Someone willing to either threaten someone's life or even use it with intent to kill isn't going to be willing to acquire said gun through illegal means?

devilhawk

CharlieDigital said:
Where else are they supposed to be legislating from? :lol Their home office?
They aren't suppose to legislate at all. They aren't members of congress. You know, the whole checks and balances thing?

minus_273

Banned
MoxManiac said:
You can't use a regular gun/rifle for that?

I'm aware that rednecks love them huntin', I just don't see why an automatic rifle is required.

maybe some of us dont want to manually reload a cartridge after every shot. Its like asking why anyone would want to have a dishwasher or something. semi autos make life easier.

JayDubya

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Where else are they supposed to be legislating from? :lol Their home office?

Well, if they want to be legislating while being on the Supreme Court, I would hope they would wait to do until they get to Hell / oblivion, first.

Wallach said:
So, do people really think further gun laws are going to reduce gun crime rates? Someone willing to either threaten someone's life or even use it with intent to kill isn't going to be willing to acquire said gun through illegal means?
Yeah you're right. Fuck it, let's just give up. Make everything legal; the people who want to do bad shit are going to do it no matter what the law says. Let's start selling rocket-propelled grenades at Wal-Mart, there should be plenty of shelf space left once Palin has passed her first round of federal book-banning legislation.

minus_273 said:
maybe some of us dont want to manually reload a cartridge after every shot. Its like asking why anyone would want to have a dishwasher or something. semi autos make life easier.

Especially for criminals

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
devilhawk said:
It is that the judges are legislating from the bench. That is what needs to stop.
behold, one of the most meaningless phrases ever coined by conservatives.

minus_273 said:

Was easy enough for Oswald I think.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
WickedAngel said:

I would like to see the out of date source from the ATF. It's amazing how quickly your rhetoric softened when asked for some citation.

Haven't been following this whole gun debate, but Ive noticed your posts are extremely idiotic. Your best argument is that people may want to use automatic weapons as 'target practise' and that therefore counterbalances all the other negatives for allowing people easy access to these weapons? Give me a fucking break. You may be a gun nut, but try to have some objectivity to see how assinine you sound, trying to compare automatic weapons to everyday objects that have the potential to kill people. 99.99% of people have absolutely no use for such a weapon, and shouldnt be allowed to own one. Theres MUCH more harm that can come out of it than any good, whatever that good may be in your eyes.

I think that not only should all form of weaponry be allowed, but that we should be able to freely carry and conceal it however we like.

It's a right enshrined in the Constitution!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
CharlieDigital said:
Zombie Apocalypse. Don't fuck around with zombies man.
High powered assault rifles are poor zombie defense weapons according to the zombie survival guide and the oral recounting of World War Z

devilhawk said:
They aren't suppose to legislate at all. They aren't members of congress. You know, the whole checks and balances thing?

Wait, so you're worried about C&B, but you're more worried about the SCOTUS than the POTUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom