• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, since there seems to be a bit of a lull, I was hoping someone could clue me in on why it is that Republicans seem to worship Reagan so and why he's held up as a shining example of what a Republican president should be. Even Obama seemed to praise him for his dynamism at one point.

As a foreign observer, I don't really understand it, since Reagan's presidency was one of unmitigated failure in nearly all of its economic, social and foreign policy goals. In fact, one of the major positive things of note to happen in that time (the fall of the Berlin wall), wasn't something that he or the US had any influence in.

Someone clue me in here, please.

Zeliard

Gary Whitta said:
That's exactly how this stuff works though. Some radical PAC will make an ad which McCain can publicly disown in order to elevate himself above the fray while actually giving the story more oxygen.

That's probably true. :(

I guess I was being optimistic.

minus_273

Banned
polyh3dron said:
palin-crazy-people.jpg

I love how the McCain family only includes Bridget when it serves their needs. What a loving family.

odd wonder why mccains son and bangaldeshi daughter are not there.

Trurl

Banned
capslock said:
Apparently tomorrow's USA Today poll has McCain up by 10, 54-44.
Please let this bs.

I really hate the bipolar feelings that are stirred by elections.

At least we all know that polls can be misleading.

TreIII

Cheebs said:
McCain is up 10 in USA Today's new poll.

Calm down, people.

Until I see a state-by-state poll, I see little reason to get excited, worried or whatever, no matter who is in front.

Ugh every time I look at that photo of Palin and her oh-so perfect little nuclear family I imagine the millions of voters who are going to be suckered into supporting her.

Zeliard

Tamanon said:
Up 10 amongst likely voters. Who cares? Does anyone really believe that McCain gets 54% of the vote?:p

I'm not gonna be worried about the polls until they're like this after the debates.

Personally I think the debates aren't going to be as big a deal as people here think. I remember Kerry destroyed Bush in the debates and he still got elected.

minus_273

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So, since there seems to be a bit of a lull, I was hoping someone could clue me in on why it is that Republicans seem to worship Reagan so and why he's held up as a shining example of what a Republican president should be. Even Obama seemed to praise him for his dynamism at one point.

As a foreign observer, I don't really understand it, since Reagan's presidency was one of unmitigated failure in nearly all of its economic, social and foreign policy goals. In fact, one of the major positive things of note to happen in that time (the fall of the Berlin wall), wasn't something that he or the US had any influence in.

Someone clue me in here, please.

reagan was a democrat who became a republican and used barry goldwaters (losing) example to create the model of modern western conservatism. He was immensely popular and won 49 out of 50 states in his reeletion. He ended the cold war peacefully combining military might with diplomacy and that led to the peace and prosperity in the 90s. Peace through strength.

oh and he also gave what is called "the speech". the greatest speech in convention history:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1fYSAChxs

the most memorable part here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur9RU

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
saelz8 said:
So, what are the chances that the Mccain campaign makes an ad with Obama saying he's muslim?

They could put it in a loop, and instantly win the election, even if it's out of context, or a mistake.

Hoho.

They don't need no ad about being Obama being a muslim. They can just mass email a video of obama saying "My Muslim Faith" to rural america and win the election. The Internet is the best place to spread lies and fear anonymously after all.

Zeliard

Karma Kramer said:
Personally I think the debates aren't going to be as big a deal as people here think. I remember Kerry destroyed Bush in the debates and he still got elected.

Maybe not, but I think we'll get a much better sense of how accurate the polls are after the debates, since it'll be that much closer to election time.

Thunder Monkey said:
People are stupid... and?
And... it affects the entire world that they/we forget so easily. I'd actually be able to accept a McCain win if I had the time to brace for it.

Some here are still telling themselves that this is just a convention bump but I'm not totally convinced yet. It's just so fucking huge, even the way we and other sites talk about McCain/Palin has significantly shifted. I expect Obama to be able to gain back within 3-5% back and forth the rest of the way to the election but... I dunno. I guess I'm just rambling because I'm a little depressed.

scorcho said:
and that's the attitude that could cost Democrats this election.
I'm not saying ignore the stupidity, but if you don't think there's a good chance McCain can win then you're just as dumb as they are for wanting him to win.

Obama has an uphill battle. He always has. I want him to win like none else in politics. He can help this country in many ways, but I don't think it will be a cakewalk for him. It wasn't for Kennedy either.

minus_273

Banned
typhonsentra said:
And... it affects the entire world that they/we forget so easily. I'd actually be able to accept a McCain win if I had the time to brace for it.

Some here are still telling themselves that this is just a convention bump but I'm not totally convinced yet. It's just so fucking huge, even the way we and other sites talk about McCain/Palin has significantly shifted. I expect Obama to be able to gain back within 3-5% back and forth the rest of the way to the election but... I dunno. I guess I'm just rambling because I'm a little depressed.

its just a partial convention bump IIRC since most polls coming out now are before mccains speech and after palins. i might be wrong about the USA today one. Its meaningless unless there is a date range.

Cheebs said:
McCain is up 10 in USA Today's new poll.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-07-poll_N.htm
McCain leads Democrat Barack Obama by 50%-46% among registered voters, the Republican's biggest advantage since January and a turnaround from the USA TODAY poll taken just before the convention opened in St. Paul. Then, he lagged by 7 percentage points.
In the new poll, taken Friday through Sunday, McCain leads Obama by 54%-44% among those seen as most likely to vote.

registered v. 'likely voters'. it would be immensely helpful if, before you post something about a 10pt difference (the largest i've seen this cycle nationally?) you indicate what those numbers mean, instead of just saying up by 10, with no other information.

with that out of the way, wtf? down by 7 to up by 4? i guess the down by 7 was the Obama bump, and the up by 4 is the Obama bump wearing off and the Palin/McCain bump in full swing, but still.

i want a copy of this poll in a week, to see if the headline is 'McCain holds 4pt lead!' or 'McCain's convention bump just that, a bump' (example: O+2 normally. bumped up to +7, gaining 5. he drops back to +2, then M, with his -2, gains +6, to be +4. If this example is true, then he'll drop back to -2, and the bumps will both be gone. if he stays up, then it means a real change)

For all those panicking, remember we still have a little less than two months until the election. Once the Palin hype dies down, folks will remember this is really about the top of the ticket, and I'm betting that the debates will set things straight. Also, the polls don't capture all the youth and minority voters that will hopefully turn out for Obama in November.

I'm also optimistic about many many future McCain/Palin gaffes in the next 7 weeks.

Amir0x

Banned
Polls, polls. Post convention polls are so heart pounding.

One really has to wonder about these people who are so dramatically changing their opinions from day to day.

One day Obama is up by 8, the next week McCain is up by 10. The idiot voters who can't decide are truly something special. I need to speak to someone who is genuinely conflicted between the choices so much so that when these pollsters call they're all "well mcCain announced Palin so now that gave me the free pass to vote for the crusty white guy again."

minus_273

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Hey guys I heard that if you vote for McCain he'll not only lower your taxes but also send you a 46" HDTV for only $38.45!

i heard obama would push back the tides and heal the world.

Cheebs

kkaabboomm said:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-07-poll_N.htm

registered v. 'likely voters'. it would be immensely helpful if, before you post something about a 10pt difference (the largest i've seen this cycle nationally?) you indicate what those numbers mean, instead of just saying up by 10, with no other information.

with that out of the way, wtf? down by 7 to up by 4? i guess the down by 7 was the Obama bump, and the up by 4 is the Obama bump wearing off and the Palin/McCain bump in full swing, but still.

i want a copy of this poll in a week, to see if the headline is 'McCain holds 4pt lead!' or 'McCain's convention bump just that, a bump' (example: O+2 normally. bumped up to +7, gaining 5. he drops back to +2, then M, with his -2, gains +6, to be +4. If this example is true, then he'll drop back to -2, and the bumps will both be gone. if he stays up, then it means a real change)

Most pollsters switch to likely voter over registered voters after the 2 conventions so expect to see this around more.

Cloudy

Banned
I think I need to take a break from following this race so closely lol. My initial belief was that America wasn't ready to vote for a black prez just yet so I wasn't really paying much attention. After the DNC, with the response to his speech, I was like "maybe..."

I give up for now. I'll be happy if if he wins but I don't wanna set myself up for disappointment :(

Zeliard

The Lamonster said:
For all those panicking, remember we still have a little less than two months until the election. Once the Palin hype dies down, folks will remember this is really about the top of the ticket, and I'm betting that the debates will set things straight. Also, the polls don't capture all the youth and minority voters that will hopefully turn out for Obama in November.

I'm also optimistic about many many future McCain/Palin gaffes in the next 7 weeks.

That's the thing, though. The youth vote does seem to be exceptionally motivated and enthusiastic this time around, but they're (we're, I guess, if I still count at 24) still very unpredictable as to whether or not we'll actually show up to vote.

It makes me slightly more comfortable the 10% is only the "Likely" voters. 4% is something I can live with post-convention. I'm just hoping tomorrow's and the day after's Gallups don't give me a heart attack.

mj1108

gkrykewy said:
You are correct, sir. Even if they manage to bring Palin down on experience, the word "experience" in the dialogue reminds people that Obama doesn't have very much, which strengthens McCain. It's a trojan horse.

They should be hammering two themes: CHANGE and ECONOMY. The more those words control the dialogue, the better Obama is doing.

Exactly....and by hammering home on the issues it'll show how inexperienced she really is. Just hope that people pick up on it.

capslock said:
Apparently tomorrow's USA Today poll has McCain up by 10, 54-44.

No worries. It's just the convention bump.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The host of VMAs just said vote for Barack Obama. And pretty much shit on Mccain. It must have been off script.

Zeliard said:
That's the thing, though. The youth vote does seem to be exceptionally motivated and enthusiastic this time around, but they're (we're, I guess, if I still count at 24) still very unpredictable as to whether or not we'll actually show up to vote.
That's why, as a fellow 24 year-old, we have a lot of work to do in the next 7 weeks to get out the youth vote. I'm finding that I have to hold my friends' hands in even registering to vote. I registered one of my friends just this morning!

Anyway, everybody needs to talk to friends, neighbors, co-workers and family, donate your time and money, put a sign in your yard, bumper sticker etc etc etc because the time has come to start sweating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom