• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

She didn't kill it. Support for it fell apart and then she suddenly opposed it.

Obama today, per Ben Smith (sans his spin):

Well, how about Gov. Palin? She's you know, an up and comer from Alaska. She - they're starting to run an ad now saying she opposed the bridge to nowhere. Well now, let's get the facts clear here. When she was mayor, she hired a Washington lobbyist to get earmarks - pork barrel spending - all the things that John McCain says is bad, she lobbied to get! And got a whole lot of it. When it came to the bridge to nowhere, she was for it until everybody started raising a fuss about it and she started running for governor and then suddenly she was against it!

You remember that? For it before you were against it? I mean you can't just make stuff up. You can't just recreate yourself. You can't just reinvent yourself. The American people aren't stupid.
While I disagree with his assesment of the American people, nice to see him calling this stuff out so bluntly.

GhaleonEB said:
While I disagree with his assesment of the American people, nice to see him calling this stuff out so bluntly.

Same here. I'd love to see this line of attack stick, although I'd rather have Biden/surrogates going at Palin than Obama

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:
Same here. I'd love to see this line of attack stick, although I'd rather have Biden/surrogates going at Palin than Obama
A clever way to have Obama do it would be to reference the time McCain criticized Palin for asking for earmarks, and then go on to talk about lobbyists running his campaign and how they're both hypocrites.

Zeliard

harSon said:
Fuckkkkkkkk

Why did he have to make that slip up? :lol

I don't even think it was a slip-up. If you were transcribing that accurately, you'd put quotes around "Muslim faith", since that's what others are saying about him. It's so obvious what Obama was getting at.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Rayme said:
#1: Stop that. If we had written testimony from his mother saying "I don't think I ever said that", would that change anything he's saying in that video, in any way at all?

#2: That video seems to be saying that Layton copied Obama. You seem to be implying the opposite.
====
Barack Obama- August 28, 2008
Jack Layton- September 7, 2008
====
http://www.ndp.ca/page/6712

minus, it seems you have some trouble with reading comprehension.

also, all a GSE means is that the government implicitly backed all of Fannie's and Freddie's assets while allowing them to withhold information on any financial difficulties they could be having. otherwise they were privately managed and generated profits for stock holders.

Zeilard said:
I don't even think it was a slip-up. If you were transcribing that accurately, you'd put quotes around "Muslim faith", since that's what others are saying about him. It's so obvious what Obama was getting at.
What is there even to jump on? What, after all this time of pretending to be Christian, the stress of the campaign finally forced him to let out a Freudian slip?

It was a good run.

Odrion

Banned
harSon said:
Fuckkkkkkkk

Why did he have to make that slip up? :lol
It wasn't a slip up, StephenoposahALdghkalhdg was just a dumb motherfucker who wasn't paying attention.
GhaleonEB said:
She didn't kill it. Support for it fell apart and then she suddenly opposed it.
She still kept the money for it. :lol

Zeliard said:

He was interrupted before he could finish his point

Very few people think he's muslim and honestly, if people look at that video and honestly come to the conclusion that he is muslim, clearly they're so fucking stupid they aren't worth relying on and wouldn't vote for Obama anyway. I suppose there will be some people who think "omg Obama admitted he's a muslim and the librul media hasn't said a thing about it!" but yea...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
scorcho said:
http://www.ndp.ca/page/6712

minus, it seems you have some trouble with reading comprehension.

also, all a GSE means is that the government implicitly backed all of Fannie's and Freddie's assets while allowing them to withhold information on any financial difficulties they could be having. otherwise they were privately managed and generated profits for stock holders.

:lol minus for Vice President!

She claimed Fannie and Freddie were costing the taxpayers too much. :lol

The GSEs weren't costing us anything, it's the bailout that is going to cost us. :-(

harSon

Banned
Zeliard said:

He of all people should never say "My" and "Muslim" moments apart no matter the context. Some people are to stupid to understand what Obama was obviously saying.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Zeliard said:

Yeah, George did not even need to correct it, as he was referring to what others were saying.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Steve Youngblood said:
What is there even to jump on? What, after all this time of pretending to be Christian, the stress of the campaign finally forced him to let out a Freudian slip?

It was a good run.

What in the hell are you talking about? He was trying to say that John McCain never suggested Obama was a muslim. There was no slip up, he just shouldn't have worded it the way he did.

Zeliard

PhoenixDark said:
He was interrupted before he could finish his point

Very few people think he's muslim and honestly, if people look at that video and honestly come to the conclusion that he is muslim, clearly they're so fucking stupid they aren't worth relying on and wouldn't vote for Obama anyway. I suppose there will be some people who think "omg Obama admitted he's a muslim and the librul media hasn't said a thing about it!" but yea...

I pretty much agree, though the idea of the right-wing media running that quote completely out of context doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me, but it probably won't happen since it would be pretty egregious even for them.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
She claimed Fannie and Freddie were costing the taxpayers too much. :lol

The GSEs weren't costing us anything, it's the bailout that is going to cost us. :-(

I think the VP debates could have a surprisingly big impact if Palin makes some stupid ass gaffes in it ala Fannie and Freddie.

winnarps

an argument about mccain spiralled a bit, and a friend of mine just (seriously/honestly) asked in an instant message, "what did bush really do to the economy that made it worse?"

sigh.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Extollere said:
What in the hell are you talking about? He was trying to say that John McCain never suggested Obama was a muslim. There was no slip up, he just shouldn't have worded it the way he did.

Yes, the word 'supposed' should have been included, but this part of the interview was a discussion on McCain and the Republicans feeding the "OMG Obama a Muslim" talk. Not a deep personal religious discussion (in which case it would be a slip)

Barrett2

minus_273 said:
maybe it is because both fannie mae and freddie mac are government sponsored programs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_takeover_of_Fannie_Mae_and_Freddie_Mac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_sponsored_enterprises

oh im sorry did i just bring facts?

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are privately owned, shareholder controlled corporations. Just because a corporation is backed by guaranteed loans doesn't mean it is a government program.

That's like arguing Wells Fargo is a government program just because the FDIC insures my checking account.

Zeliard said:
I pretty much agree, though the idea of the right-wing media running that quote completely out of context doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me, but it probably won't happen since it would be pretty egregious even for them.

From what I understand the major right wing radio hosts haven't touched the muslim emails/rumors. They're perfectly fine with questioning his patriotism but even they realize the religious attacks are dumb

Zeliard said:
I think the VP debates could have a surprisingly big impact if Palin makes some stupid ass gaffes in it ala Fannie and Freddie.

Maybe she'll be asked why so many Americans can't find the U.S. on a map.

Extollere said:
That's what I'm referring to. Clearly, there's no story here. The initial link I saw seemed to suggest that there was some controversy surrounding this, and I don't see how.

Again, what's the story? That Obama finally admitted his true faith as a Freudian slip? Or are we simply discussing in hypotheticals that conceivably, there's a story here because some MIGHT interpret it as poor wording.

Trurl

Banned
I have a feeling that Palin will make Bush look like a philosopher king.

What the fuck does she think these companies do? And the audience cheers her, haha.

Steve Youngblood said:
That's what I'm referring to. Clearly, there's no story here. The initial link I saw seemed to suggest that there was some controversy surrounding this, and I don't see how.

Again, what's the story? That Obama finally admitted his true faith as a Freudian slip? Or are we simply discussing in hypotheticals that conceivably, there's a story here because some MIGHT interpret it as poor wording.

Huh? What...are you suggesting? I can't tell, honestly. lol

Here, it's pretty clear that "My Muslim faith" was a meaningless slip. There have been so many times in the past where I've flubbed like that in a conversation. When you've got the conversation topic on your mind while you're talking, that flub is inevitable.

Hootie said:
Sheeit. Missouri went from toss-up to lean McCain. Hopefully it's just from the RNC bump.

McCain's been up there forever. I wouldn't put much of any faith in Obama winning that state. It's up there with Florida on my "not gonna happen" list.

Gantz

Banned
Trurl said:

What the fuck does she think these companies do? And the audience cheers her, haha.

Sadly I don't think the audience knows what they do either thus the cheering.

TDG

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
McCain's been up there forever. I wouldn't put much of any faith in Obama winning that state. It's up there with Florida on my "not gonna happen" list.
I think McCain has just as much of a chance at winning Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania as Obama does winning Florida and Missouri.

The Blue Jihad said:
Huh? What...are you suggesting? I can't tell, honestly. lol

Here, it's pretty clear that "My Muslim faith" was a meaningless slip. There have been so many times in the past where I've flubbed like that in a conversation. When you've got the conversation topic on your mind while you're talking, that flub is inevitable.
I guess I'm not making my point well.

All I'm saying is that whether it was a slip-up or not, whether it was taken out of context or not, I don't understand the story.

Assume the worst. Take it at face value for just one second, why is this news? Even critics of Obama can't believe that this was anything worth writing about. Either there's nothing to talk about, or we assume that Obama just dropped a bomb by subconsciously letting it be known that he is, in fact, Muslim. Since the latter assumption is preposterous, I don't understand what point there is in discussing the meaning of the statement.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Trurl said:

The entire GOP convention went nuts when Bush appeared on screen. That's all you need to know.

vitaflo

gkrykewy said:
At the same time, this election is very much Obama/Palin right now - he's in an odd spot.

What does it say about the guy at the top of the Rep ticket if this is the case? This is why I find all this Palin stuff funny. All of it totally undermines McCain.

Next thing you know, minus is going to come in here claiming that they should be sold off :lol

Not quite ComputerNerd levels of idiocy yet, but getting there...

Hootie

PhoenixDark said:

Yeah I actually was surprised it was even considered a toss up. I know Florida is almost certainly going McCain.

I'm going to be so nervous over Ohio/Michigan/Colorado/Virginia all the way up until Election Day, though.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This certainly isn't new, but the final ratings show McCain beat Obama ratings-wise. Like it or not, the Palin pick worked as far as energizing the base goes.

Ponn

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

Hell no with Florida. I'm doing my part here, for the first time ever voting in the presidential race. People are underestimating the college vote (which according to some interesting tidbits I have read are NOT being counted in these polls being taken) here too, Obama's grass roots will keep Florida in play. And on top of that McCain is for offshore drilling which even old republicans here in Florida are voting against and do no want. Obama should really play up that card.

Hootie said:
Yeah I actually was surprised it was even considered a toss up. I know Florida is almost certainly going McCain.

I'm going to be so nervous over Ohio/Michigan/Colorado/Virginia all the way up until Election Day, though.

I'm not worried about Michigan. Wayne County (Detroit) should guarantee a win for Obama.

Ohio...not so much. I'm not confident about that state at all.

woeds

Just to balance out the Gallups.
elecvote.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
2839952427_e35cc163f2_o.png

Polling, especially during the convention period, is often described as a "roller coaster", but I think the metaphor is a little bit more powerful than that. You can ride a particular coaster a dozen times, visualize the ride, and tell yourself that you aren't going to be scared when you go down the first big hill. But inevitably, if you have genetics like mine, you'll be still be screaming once you've actually strapped yourself in and are riding the damned thing. There are certain things that are so experientially intense that it's probably impossible to fully prepare yourself for them -- you can know exactly what's coming, and it doesn't matter.

At this very moment, John McCain has a lead of something like 2, maybe 3 points in the national polls. If I had asked you, before the convention period began, what you expected the national tracking numbers to look like on the weekend immediately following the Republican convention, my hunch is that the average guess would have been right around a Republican +2 lead -- exactly where the polls are now.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/09/todays-polls-97_08.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom