• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

devilhawk said:
Haha. Making a conclusion from the phrase "drill baby drill" that all evangelicals want to pollute the earth so significantly that it triggers an apocalypse is quite a bit of an ignorant generalization.

Seriously? You're taking his post literally?

Seriously?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
lawblob said:
Also, considering that a large portion of Republicans self-identify as evangelicals, a group that professes the speedy return of Jesus in the Rapture, why is it ignorant to point out that a sizable portion of those people probably do take a dim view on environmental issues largely because they think Jesus will come back in the next fifty years... I don't think that is too far off.
I love how such people conveniently ignore God's commandment to be stewards of the Earth, like spoiled children who leave their rooms messy with the expectation their parents will clean it up for them.

gkryhewy

Hitokage said:
I love how such people conveniently ignore God's commandment to be stewards of the Earth, like spoiled children who leave their rooms messy with the expectation their parents will clean it up for them.

To be fair, hasn't there been a growing sentiment among evangelicals to this end?

Reposted for the new page:

picture_4265.png

:lol

devilhawk

OuterWorldVoice said:
I'd love to know which one of those words you consider "fancy."
None of them were fancy; I was just trying to make a joke. Hell, Anihawk made the standard reply joke and I couldn't care less about it.

Though, I think Ani apologized because he could of done better than that :D

Captain Pants said:
Earmarks? Seriously?

This pretty well sums up my thoughts on the earmarks criticism.

yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Of all the examples of "wasteful spending" that could be used, earmarks are the least of my worries. But in McCain's eyes, the mountain of debt we're in is singlehandedly because of teh dreaded earmarks!!11!

ronito

Hitokage said:
dude, you're smarter than that. I mean look at love thy neighbor and bare false witness and keep the sabbath day holy, judge not lest ye be judged, pray for thine enemies, turn the other cheek...

Barrett2

perfectchaos007 said:
As a lot of you know I am very for the drilling in Alaska. It is something we should have started doing a long time ago of course. It will bring gas prices down in the next 10 years. And just because we drill doesn't mean we stop looking for alternative fuels. We drill to keep us a little more independant with our oil on our soil, and to hopefully keep our country running if we run out of oil in the middle east before America completely switches to alternative fuels. I mean, its not just cars that we use oil for. We use it to make all most of our plastics, electricity, petroleum jelly etc. So thats why I'm for the drilling.

Actually, most of our country's electricity is generated by coal, IIRC.

I think the problem most people on this board have with drilling Alaska is that the perceived benefits will be very small. The global demand for oil is increasing at such a fast rate that any production we achieve in Alaska will have practically zero effect on global prices. That's just plain economics of it. And while you could argue that "every little bit helps," you also have to consider that the environmental degradation is not worth it, considering the minimal gain in energy independence we will derive from it.

My understanding of energy policy says that the US basically has to go nucular... that's pretty much the only way to both alleviate prices and satiate demand.

Hitokage said:
Yeah, that gets me too. Of course I got all my religious indoctrination from a Luthern church in Minnesota and the Prince of Peace they worship doesn't even seem related to the vindictive supply-side Jesus of the GOP.

Ann Coulter is on record with the view that God says we should 'rape' the earth. Is that anyway to treat your mother? WTF?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
gkrykewy said:
To be fair, hasn't there been a growing sentiment among evangelicals to this end?
You're right, but there needs to be more, a LOT more. Alarms are ringing on nearly every front, NOT just global warming, and little of it manages to get noticed outside the scientific community.
ronito said:
dude, you're smarter than that. I mean look at love thy neighbor and bare false witness and keep the sabbath day holy, judge not lest ye be judged, pray for thine enemies, turn the other cheek...
Yes, but at least they admit those are all things they were told, even if they don't follow.

Amir0x said:
Chuck God Todd still painting a pretty bright picture for Obama's chances.

As he should be, the polls aren't as annoying as trying to deal with my friends (and wife) freaking out over IM/twitter about them.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Tell me the good news man. I need my hopium fix for today.

Essentially he is saying despite this temporary boost in McCain polls barring some substantial shift in the state-by-state polling which probably won't come from a momentary convention bump, Obama is still playing high octane offense. There is only one blue state he really has to defend vs. five red states McCain has to defend, and only the few genuine toss ups will probably be decided by something closer to D-Day ... the debates, some gaffe, or a settling down of perceptions.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Chuck Todd agrees:

CO, VA, OH, NH are the pure toss-up states.

McCain would need all of them to win, while Obama only needs to win either VA or OH, or CO+NH if losing OH+VA.

Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania on the Offensive vs Palin

Gov. Ed Rendell decried a double standard in the treatment of Sarah Palin on Monday, saying that if it was he who was at the center of the "troopergate" investigation, the press would be calling for his head.

"She [claims to be] a reformer," said the Pennsylvania Democrat. "And yet she is being investigated on the charge that she used her power as governor to fire someone who was going through a messy divorce with a relative of hers. Could you imagine if I was doing the same thing in Pennsylvania? You would be calling for my impeachment."

The remarks came at the end of a long list of criticisms that Rendell, one of the foremost supporters of Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, launched against the Republican vice presidential nominee. Ignoring the directive of the Obama campaign to focus attentions on McCain, Rendell called out Palin on everything from ethics to earmarks.

"[The McCain camp] has tried to again obscure the facts about Gov. Palin. 'She is a reformer and against earmarks.' No she isn't, when she was mayor of that town she hired a lobbyist to get earmarks... 'She was against the bridge to nowhere.' No she wasn't. She was for the bridge to nowhere first... She is a budget balancer. But she left the town in greater debt then when she became mayor, so she is not a budget balancer."

"I like her," Rendell concluded. "She is a good person, she has tremendous potential but in no way shape or form is she ready to be president of the United States."

The Rendell call, organized to preempt a McCain appearance in Pennsylvania, was ostensibly on the topic of how the Arizona Republican has engaged in dirty politics when it came to discussing Obama's tax record. And on this issue, Rendell was again in vintage outspoken form.

"First of all, let me say it should be embarrassing for the Republican ticket that Rick Davis, Sen. McCain's campaign manager, said 'this election is not about issues.' Good lord, with all the challenges facing America it has to be about issues...They don't want to talk about issues because when the truth comes out about issues the American people will favor Sen. Obama tremendously."

The Republicans, he added, "would make the all time all-star team for spiders the way they can spin."

But most questions, as has been the case since the Palin announcement, were focused on the Alaska governor.

Would she siphon of Clinton supporters in Pennsylvania? No, said Rendell, who expected Obama to receive somewhere along the lines of "95,96, or 97 percent of the vote."

Was she qualified to serve as VP? Absolutely not, he bemoaned.

The McCain camp argues that, "Governor Palin, because of her executive experience as a mayor of a small 9,000 person town and governor of Alaska for 20 months, has that experience. Well, I refer you to a McCain camp document they put out when [Virginia] Gov. Kaine was considered to be vice president. They attacked his experience and derided Richmond [where Kaine was formerly mayor] because it was the 105th largest city ... I think Gov. Palin was mayor of the 50,000th [most populated] city in the America... It was fair game to say Gov. Kaine was not qualified because of his credentials. If they are going to be consistent then they believe that Gov. Palin is unqualified to be vice president."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/08/rendell-if-i-was-palin-yo_n_124879.html

gkryhewy

Hitokage said:
You're right, but there needs to be more, a LOT more. Alarms are ringing on nearly every front, NOT just global warming, and little of it manages to get noticed outside the scientific community.Yes, but at least they admit those are all things they were told, even if they don't follow.

I completely agree. I was just being fair and balanced.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Tell me the good news man. I need my hopium fix for today.
I didn't see it, but this line from First Read jumped out at me this morning (and sounds like pure Todd):

Indeed, there may not be a state where Palin helps more than a place like Missouri. Looking at 2006, one of the closest Senate races was in Missouri, where Claire McCaskill over-performed in some key non-urban counties, and it’s likely she succeeded with culturally conservative women who are also economic populists. These women have probably been sitting in undecided right now in a place like Missouri. And this where Palin comes in: She can keep these soft Republican women from crossing the aisle. It's no mistake why both McCain and Palin are in Missouri today.

By the way, the place where the GOP ticket is campaigning today -- Lee’s Summit -- is a place that McCaskill carried in '06 and Bush carried in '04. The McCain folks would like to lock down the Show Me State in September. Trust us, if McCain is still campaigning in Missouri in October, things aren't looking good for the GOP.

AniHawk

reilo said:
Chuck Todd agrees:

CO, VA, OH, NH are the pure toss-up states.

McCain would need all of them to win, while Obama only needs to win either VA or OH, or CO+NH if losing OH+VA.

I thought NV would be a toss up before NH.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
140.85 said:
It's apparent she decided that spending that much on a single bridge was stupid and could be better spent elsewhere.

No, no, not at all. It's apparent from the very link you provided that she saw the writing on the wall and knew that Congress felt spending that much on a single bridge was stupid and that they'd never give up any further funds towards building it.

Palin said:
“Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it’s clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island,” Governor Palin added. “Much of the public’s attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here. But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened.”

She's unrepentant and only resigned to defeat by the circumstances. But hey, I'm biased and also not a mind-reader, so what the fuck do I know?

speculawyer said:
Ann Coulter is on record with the view that God says we should 'rape' the earth. Is that anyway to treat your mother? WTF?

This is such a classic quote:

"Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours."

Dyno

devilhawk said:
Wow. Since you got your thesaurus out, try looking up ignorant.

Now if the crowd started chanting "drill baby drill" when Levi Johnston - impregnator of Bristol Palin - took the stage that would have been something to see.

Goodnight everybody!

reilo

AniHawk said:

Yeah, hrmm. The only time McCain lead in NH was in May. Nevada has been up and down since June, going back and forth between McCain and Obama.

I'd put both of those in toss-up, with NH slightly leaning to Obama.

AniHawk said:

They probably wanted to give McCain a shot at taking something Bush didn't. :lol

But yeah NV is closer than NH. I don't believe that NH is going to vote to send a Republican to Washington for at least another decade.

devilhawk

Hitokage said:
You're right, but there needs to be more, a LOT more. Alarms are ringing on nearly every front, NOT just global warming, and little of it manages to get noticed outside the scientific community.Yes, but at least they admit those are all things they were told, even if they don't follow.
It is also nice to think that when the energy crisis is solved, it will also solve a lot of the CO2 emissions problems we have. Hopefully that is sooner than later.

devilhawk

Dyno said:
Now if the crowd started chanting "drill baby drill" when Levi Johnston - impregnator of Bristol Palin - took the stage that would have been something to see.

Goodnight everybody!
Well to be truthful, Levi already did drill.

reilo

Amir0x said:
Palin gaffe?
Speaking before voters in Colorado Springs, the Republican vice presidential nominee claimed that lending giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had "gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers." The companies, as McClatchy reported, "aren't taxpayer funded but operate as private companies. The takeover may result in a taxpayer bailout during reorganization."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/08/palin-makes-her-first-gaf_n_124792.html

Here's an interesting wrench in our electoral equations:

GOP Congressman Ron Paul will see his name appear on Presidential primary ballots in November in two states: Montana and Louisiana. The Constitution Party of Montana, which is feuding with the national Constitution Party over the issue of abortion, has placed Paul on the Montana ballot as the party's nominee instead of official CP nominee Chuck Baldwin. In Louisiana, a group of Paul supporters have succeeded in placing him on the ballot there under the label of the fictional Taxpayers Party. Montana is a hotly contested swing state this year, while Louisiana is fairly solid McCain state. Paul refused to make a deal with the RNC to grant him a prominent speaking slot at this week's national convention in exchange for Paul endorsing McCain. Instead, Paul held a rival convention across town from the GOP convention

Paul on the ballot could be a gamebreaker in Montana.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Palin gaffe?

I know it's been reposted a couple times already, but:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12716092&postcount=4561

Send it as a newstip to CNN. Everyone do this with the little things you run across. It probably won't stick, but at least you gave it a chance.

I'm doing it now.

Go here:
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/tips/newstips.html

Copy/paste this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO4k1fIjivg

"The fact is that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac--they've gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/08/palin-makes-her-first-gaf_n_124792.html

The companies, as McClatchy reported, "aren't taxpayer funded but operate as private companies. The takeover may result in a taxpayer bailout during reorganization."

And make sure to digg it.
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Palin_makes_Her_First_Gaffe

reilo

Amir0x said:
i wonder how she'll do in her first interview with ABC's Gibson

It's already been stated that it will be more of a biography piece rather than an interview. McCain's advisers are on record as saying that any interview Palin gives, would have to meet certain conditions laid out by the campaign. That's what ABC agreed to with the "interview" she is going to give to Charlie Gibson.

It will be a two-day piece, and take place in Alaska. It's not even a sit down.

Also, McCain has said that Gibson is his favorite journalist.

Fragamemnon said:
Here's an interesting wrench in our electoral equations:

Paul on the ballot could be a gamebreaker in Montana.

Oh that is pretty big for Montana, they voted for Paul in hardly trivial numbers in the primary

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
i wonder how she'll do in her first interview with ABC's Gibson

Oh I'm sure it'll be difficult for her. He's gonna come at her with all those hard-hitting pre-approved questions and all.

AND IF YOU CAN'T TELL, I'M BEING SARCASTIC.

AniHawk said:
I don't believe NH is a toss-up at all. Yeah, it isn't as blue as the rest of New England . . . but in today's world with pointless war and economic stagnation after 8 years of Bush . . . NH is gonna go blue. Period.

reilo

AniHawk said:
Oh I'm sure it'll be difficult for her. He's gonna come at her with all those hard-hitting pre-approved questions and all.

AND IF YOU CAN'T TELL, I'M BEING SARCASTIC.

You? Sarcastic? Don't kid me sir!

reilo

Mathews putting Todd on the spot and asking him whether he agrees with any of Palin's worldviews [abortion, creationism, etc], and he is simply refusing to answer.

Mathews is making the point that Palin has little to nothing in common with Hillary voters, and wondering why the right is trying to grab Hillary voters with someone like Palin.

"On every issue, she is 180 from Hillary."

Gruco

Banned
140.85 said:
So now it's about whether or not Alaska should get federal money for infastructure? :lol You're missing the point here. It's apparent she decided that spending that much on a single bridge was stupid and could be better spent elsewhere.
She made that decision because they didn't give her enough money to build it after Steven got called out.

She was happy to spend federal money on it, but didn't want to spend Alaskan money. So the entire talking point remains ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom