• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Liara T'Soni said:
Cindy McSame is looking more and more unlikable every time I see her.

We have all talked about how Barack has been aged by this campaign, but cot damn, this women is looking BEAT these days. Michelle is much prettier, more intelligent, and wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth from money her family got from selling beer.

I can tell from how they both act in the media that Michelle is going to be a good first lady...I don't think she will be the Hillary Clinton "I'm running shit" type, but she's not going to be the Laura Bush "Um...I don't do anything at all" type either.

Cindy looks like a typical trophy wife thats just coming along for the ride.

I'm sorry, but this post is full of the type of stereotypical drivel that people complain Michelle is constantly subjected to.

schuelma said:
I'm sorry, but this post is full of the type of stereotypical drivel that people complain Michelle is constantly subjected to.

Honestly, I know, you really are right. I know better then to critique her based on looks. But it's hard to stay above this kind of stuff when channels like Fox News are dedicated to demonizing Michelle on every and all aspects.

(Although, I see no reason why you object to me calling Michelle more intelligent).

When I say she looks like a typical trophy wife, I'm not talking about her looks really. I mean that the way she has presented herself on this campaign has been very subservient from my point of view, and I barely recall seeing her give any real moving speeches or anything the way Michelle has. I think that from everything I've seen thus far, that Cindy McSame simply will not be anywhere near as active, influential, or important of a first lady then Michelle Obama.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Liara T'Soni said:
Honestly, I know, you really are right. I know better then to critique her based on looks. But it's hard to stay above this kind of stuff when channels like Fox News are dedicated to demonizing Michelle on every and all aspects.

(Although, I see no reason why you object to me calling Michelle more intelligent).

When I say she looks like a typical trophy wife, I'm not talking about her looks really. I mean that the way she has presented herself on this campaign has been very subservient from my point of view, and I barely recall seeing her give any real moving speeches or anything the way Michelle has. I think that from everything I've seen thus far, that Cindy McSame simply will not be anywhere near as active, influential, or important of a first lady then Michelle Obama.

Well that's your opinion and that's fine, but just because McCain chooses not to be enormously active doesn't mean she couldn't be a good first lady. Laura Bush, who you apparently think isn't much of a First Lady either, has generally been seen by all sides as an exemplary First Lady (the fact that she has favorable approval ratings given who she's married to should tell you something). Not everyone has to be Hillary Clinton.

Edit- Now, I don't mean to be some great defender of Cindy McCain; I'm not at all a fan of her bringing up the Michelle remarks and she should take a page from Laura Bush in that regard.

Tamanon

Banned
"I was not in love with America until I was deprived of her company"

Oh Abrams you rascal!

:lol and Lars is still on the show. Smear city!

McSame : I didn't really love my country until I was deprived of her company.

Dan Abrams is covering this now.

McSame is an angry, white, man, and is not patriotic. He is bitter.

Liara T'Soni said:
I hope his old ass falls of stage like Bob Dole.
Let's raise the level of political disagreement above hoping that war veterans who were crippled by combat take potentially-fatal nosedives off stages.

adamsappel said:
Let's raise the level of political disagreement above hoping that war veterans who were crippled by combat take potentially-fatal nosedives off stages.

I don't even feel like getting into this.

To each his own?

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA joined by HOWARD DEAN on campaign plane from Washington to Chicago today

capt.5e41ed2241dd4c6480a4729eb13bd9d2.obama_2008_xifb102.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, talks with Howard Dean, right, head of the Democratic National Committee, while in flight from Washington to Chicago Thursday, June 19, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.92b3f1f601764360beaa808c1bf9befc.obama_2008_xifab101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, talks with Howard Dean, right, the head of the Democratic National Committee, while in flight from Washington to Chicago Thursday, June 19, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.9f8d315ca78c4c16975abd4883dd43b1.obama_2008_dcab105.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., right, talks with Reggie Love, on his campaign charter plane before takeoff in Washington Thursday, June 19, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Earlier in the day meeting with labor leaders...

capt.c3d7f1d8ed914aa1beef7bed971fd291.obama_2008_dcab103.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. greets labor leaders prior to the start of an economic round table discussion, Thursday, June 19, 2008, in Washington.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.e40a83ff44a94ce78d1ef402f16a8f7b.obama_2008_dcab101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., flanked by Service Employees International Union (SEIU) International Secretary Treasurer with Anna Burger, left, and AFL-CIO President John Sweeney, smiles while taking part in an economic round table discussion, Thursday, June 19, 2008, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can we knock it the fuck off with "McSame"? It's juvenile, pathetic, and frankly unbecoming for a board that's supposed to be nonpartisan and open to people of all political viewpoints.

No one would tolerate this thread being spammed with comments about "BHO" or "Babar" or "Barry" or any of the stupid names anti-Obama ranters use for him, and "McSame" is no less dumb than any of those. Hell, I'd like to think that someone throwing around Larry Sinclair's bullshit here would be thrown out of the thread by the seat of his pants.

For a bunch of people sitting around claiming to be disgusted by Republican tactics or Karl Rove level smearing or Hillaryis44's utter lack of respect towards Obama or Tim Russert, people seem to have no problem engaging in shit-flinging when it's expedient to their political beliefs.

I get it. You don't like McCain. He's wrong on the issues. He's not an effective public speaker. He looked dumb in front of the lime green background. He's a flip-flopper. He can't fundraise. He fearmongers. Whatever. You don't need to insult his wife, even if she does criticize Michelle Obama. You don't need to make up a pun on his name.

I assume the title to this installment of the PoliGAF thread specifically invites Republicans because the thread has become increasingly insular as perfectly rational people are driven away from the discussion from some of the histrionics in here, and I think that's a sad state of affairs.

Tamanon

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Can we knock it the fuck off with "McSame"? It's juvenile, pathetic, and frankly unbecoming for a board that's supposed to be nonpartisan and open to people of all political viewpoints.

No one would tolerate this thread being spammed with comments about "BHO" or "Babar" or "Barry" or any of the stupid names anti-Obama ranters use for him, and "McSame" is no less dumb than any of those. Hell, I'd like to think that someone throwing around Larry Sinclair's bullshit here would be thrown out of the thread by the seat of his pants.

For a bunch of people sitting around claiming to be disgusted by Republican tactics or Karl Rove level smearing or Hillaryis44's utter lack of respect towards Obama or Tim Russert, people seem to have no problem engaging in shit-flinging when it's expedient to their political beliefs.

I get it. You don't like McCain. He's wrong on the issues. He's not an effective public speaker. He looked dumb in front of the lime green background. He's a flip-flopper. He can't fundraise. He fearmongers. Whatever. You don't need to insult his wife, even if she does criticize Michelle Obama. You don't need to make up a pun on his name.

I assume the title to this installment of the PoliGAF thread specifically invites Republicans because the thread has become increasingly insular as perfectly rational people are driven away from the discussion from some of the histrionics in here, and I think that's a sad state of affairs.

Babar is not about Obama.

Stumpokapow said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wow at Olbermann coming out and saying he feels he is not qualified for Russert's job nor would he try to pursue it.

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Poligaf hasn't been open to all viewpoints since it's second incarnation. When this thread has people actually worrying over Obama hair color, you have a problem.

Just keep the obama stuff here and post the mcCain/rest of the Political world news out of this thread, so people can actually discuss it.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

John McCain uses the same tired bush policies on the issues that I care about: economy,the war,foreign policy,the education(he doesn't even HAVE a education plan,and just like bush,he will do NOTHING to lower the cost of college.) And until he one day comes out and and confess that bush is wrong on EVERYTHING and change his policies,I will CONTINUE to call him "McSame".

But I do agree that personal attacks on Cindy McCain should not be tolerated in this thread.

thekad

Banned
I don't think anyone giving Obama a nickname would be thrown out of this thread (especially a nickname as harmless - and fitting - as "McSame").

And if you're afraid of getting beat up by Obama supporters for taking minority positions, then GAF probably isn't your best place for discussion. Does FoxNews have forums?

Door2Dawn said:
But I do agree that personal attacks on Cindy McCain should not be tolerated in this thread.

The way I look at it, if McCain is allowed to publicly and blatantly launch personal attacks against his wife and get away with it, then so should we.

Kidding.

Kinda.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Stumpokapow said:

I see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
thekad said:
I don't think anyone giving Obama a nickname would be thrown out of this thread (especially a nickname as harmless - and fitting - as "McSame").

LIEberal, DemocRAT, or any variation of that would be frowned upon pretty heavily--as well as Micro$oft or any name like that on the other side of the board. Either way, whether it would be tossed out or not, it really should be. It's sad that American political discourse is polluted enough in public--when you have the opportunity to have a more articulate, and better calibre of discussion, why blow it with this kind of wankery?

And if you're afraid of getting beat up by Obama supporters for taking minority positions, then GAF probably isn't your best place for discussion. Does FoxNews have forums?

I don't really think this comment reflects my posting history.

Mumei

Tamanon said:
Wow, Jon Stewart just crushed Bill Kristol with his own quote from 2 years ago.:lol

For those of us currently without cable and wanting to know any time Kristol gets humiliated:

Explain. Please. :D

Tamanon

Banned
Mumei said:
For those of us currently without cable and wanting to know any time Kristol gets humiliated:

Explain. Please. :D

Basically took Kristol talking about the habeas corpus decision being awful and a huge setback for justice and that these people don't deserve due process. Then they played a clip of him from 2 years ago when Saddam's trial happened gloating about due process and how it's making Iraqi law that much better and how important it is.:lol

thekad

Banned
Well of course DemocRAT or any of its variations would be frowned upon. I'm pretty sure most of the moderators are Democrats so, yeah, that wouldn't go over well; neither would a parallel insult with Republicans fly. But as far as I know, McCain and Obama don't post on these forums so I don't see how harmless nicknames would weight on the debate.

That second comment was aimed at avatar, a Confederate-sympathizing Ron Paul fanatic. FoxNews would welcome him, I'm sure. Well, except for the Ron Paul part.

Banned
thekad said:
Well of course DemocRAT or any of its variations would be frowned upon. I'm pretty sure most of the moderators are Democrats so, yeah, that wouldn't go over well; neither would a parallel insult with Republicans fly. But as far as I know, McCain and Obama don't post on these forums so I don't see how harmless nicknames would weight on the debate.

That second comment was aimed at avatar, a Confederate-sympathizing Ron Paul fanatic. FoxNews would welcome him, I'm sure. Well, except for the Ron Paul part.
Stay classy, Thekad. Classy and retarded.

thekad

Banned
I like how the guy accusing someone of being classless flings around the word "retard" like it's going out of style. But I'll stay out of it with you.

Azih

Hildabeast was being thrown around on Poligaf while calling her a Bitch was a bannable offense. Seems like creating a pun out of a politician's name is fair game. You got a good one for Obama that isn't either racist or implies he's a terrorist?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
For the kind of shit he's pulling, "McSame" is letting him off lightly.

And I'm not sure how labels applying to whole groups applies here, stump. It's a label confined to an individual based on that individual's actions. The degree of generalization is minute in comparison.

Tamanon

Banned
Cookie Monster is on Colbert Report! The real one.:lol

And this might be one of the funniest bits he's ever done.

Cookie lapel pins!

Robert Downey Jr of Cookies.:lol

speculawyer said:
Prediction: McCain is going to have enough 'senior moments' and flip-flops by November that he is not going to stand a chance. And if that isn't enough, the economy is probably going to be even worse than it is now by then.

I am looking forward to being able to ignore politics since policy will not be made by a cabal of greedy fundamentalist idiots. I'm sure an Obama administration will make mistakes . . . but they will pale in comparison to the Bush administration. Kinda like the mistake of spooging on an intern pales in comparison with a quagmire war that was launched on the basis of bullshit.

If you don't do politics, politics will do you. Bill Clinton passed Nafta, and he did very little prevent the energy crisis we're facing today. I think both the democrats and the republicans need to be closely watched and held to a high standard lest they continue the nonsense they've been pulling since... well, since forever. Just because the republicans are worse (if that's your view), doesn't make the democrats good. Which leads to this:

Tamanon said:
Eh, it's a minor flip-flop, nothing consequential. Although I wonder if McCain might get hampered by the FEC because of his off-again, on-again public financing during the primary. Maybe they'll rule that since he's going into public financing for the general also that his previous spending over the primary limits will count against him.

I don't think the issue should be about flip-flopping. I like it when a candidate has a good reason to change his or her mind. I'd love it if Obama flip-flopped on full trrop withdrawal, single payer health care, or gay marriage. The problem here in my view is that, campaign finance is the single most important issue our country faces today, because it is the one issue that has the ability to affect nearly everything else. Healthcare, Iraq, energy, drugs, housing, why aren't these problems being solved? Because lobbyists make it inconvenient. Regardless of how clean or dirty Obama is as an individual candidate, the system at large is nearing third world levels of corruption. People are constantly complaining about Pelosi and the Congress not getting shit done, but this is why. It's in the best interests of private corporations to keep us in Iraq, to maintain the status quo in the health industry, to keep prisons overcrowded, ect. Things aren't going to change if we don't hold ALL candidates feet to the fire, republican or democrat, on the issue of where they get their fucking money. If we don't, than we can't expect them to put our interest over the interests of those who have the most money.

/rant.

Tamanon

Banned
kame-sennin said:
I don't think the issue should be about flip-flopping. I like it when a candidate has a good reason to change his or her mind. I'd love it if Obama flip-flopped on full trrop withdrawal, single payer health care, or gay marriage. The problem here in my view is that, campaign finance is the single most important issue our country faces today, because it is the one issue that has the ability to affect nearly everything else. Healthcare, Iraq, energy, drugs, housing, why aren't these problems being solved? Because lobbyists make it inconvenient. Regardless of how clean or dirty Obama is as an individual candidate, the system at large is nearing third world levels of corruption. People are constantly complaining about Pelosi and the Congress not getting shit done, but this is why. It's in the best interests of private corporations to keep us in Iraq, to maintain the status quo in the health industry, to keep prisons overcrowded, ect. Things aren't going to change if we don't hold ALL candidates feet to the fire, republican or democrat, on the issue of where they get their fucking money. If we don't, than we can't expect them to put our interest over the interests of those who have the most money.

/rant.

382324_ralph-nader-avatar.jpg

That's a bit of hyperbole that campaign finance is the single most important issue.

Cheebs

kame-sennin said:
. The problem here in my view is that, campaign finance is the single most important issue our country faces today
/rant.
you are way too obsessed with this issue then.

You sound nearly as insane as Ralph Nader! Congrats.

Tamanon said:
That's a bit of hyperbole that campaign finance is the single most important issue.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but you really haven't backed that up. I know my post lacked hard data (digging that shit up is a pain), but I did explain where I'm coming from. If you ask most voters, Iraq, health care, gas prices, or the economy at large are most likely to come up as the most important issues for them in this election. And yet, having publicly funded campaigns (fully public, not the half ass shit we have now) has the potential to turn all those issues on their head. We know that our war policy is determined in large part by contributions made by defense contractors. We know that single payer health care would be on the table if it weren't for the fact that democrats like Clinton take massive contributions from health insurance companies. Do I even need to explain how corporate lobbying effects our policy towards wall street and oil companies? Where's the hyperbole? Please, don't argue that campaign finance is not one of the biggest issues, if not the biggest issues until you've considered how it affects the rest of the political agenda.

Cheebs said:
you are way too obsessed with this issue then.

You sound nearly as insane as Ralph Nader! Congrats.

The above applies to these posts as well. If you disagree with me, please explain why. Believe it or not, I am open to changing my positions. But dismissing my points with insults does not bolster your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom