• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tamanon said:
Hey, at least someone on MSNBC finally mentioned that Clark isn't even an Obama surrogate.:lol

Next time Scarborough and Gregory say something stupid against Obama and pro-McCain, we deserve the right to call him a McCain surrogate, no?

scorcho said:
i'll take this to mean that THE LEFT should never have an honest debate about military service, since only conservatives have the authority to talk about the military, national defense and by default foreign policy.

gotcha.

Well, they are the supreme authority on what not to do with the military, national defense, and foreign policy.

bob_arctor said:
The question is: Are they making sure to show the relevant portions of today's Patriotism speech and have they pointed out that he's always stated he never would attack McCain's military record?

Still, gotta love the media for finally pre-empting Swift-Boat style attacks right when they happen even if they don't exist and in fact never happened at all. *Sigh*
No one questioned McCain's service. No one. It just hasn't happened. What Clark said wasn't questioning his service.

This wasn't even close to a swiftboat attack. This wasn't some lie. This wasn't an assault on what the man did.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Lazy vs Crazy said:
No one questioned McCain's service. No one. It just hasn't happened. What Clark said wasn't questioning his service.

This wasn't even close to a swiftboat attack. This wasn't some lie. This wasn't an assault on what the man did.

I agree entirely.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lazy vs Crazy said:

Again why would Obama want to co-sign what Clark said yesterday?

reilo

scorcho said:
because it's the tooth?

afewgoodmenjack1.JPG

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:
i'll take this to mean that THE LEFT should never have an honest debate about military service, since only conservatives have the authority to talk about the military, national defense and by default foreign policy.

gotcha.

This doesn't bug me. Obama's been pretty consistent in paying homage to military service, and while I think war is fetishized in our culture, I don't expect Obama to remedy that in the course of a single political campaign.

I'm more worried when Democrats feel a need to match the GOP in violent rhetoric about FP, like Evan Bayh was during the fetal stage of this election cycle. As long as Obama keeps presenting a strong, direct challenge to Bush-era hawkism, I'm fine with him occasionally polishing McCain's medals.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
scorcho said:
because it's the tooth?

Interestingly, I think the media-fed backlash wouldn't really affect Obama if he indeed chose to clarify and drive home this point. I still feel that he will at the proper place and time, preferably in a debate.

mckmas8808

scorcho said:
because it's the tooth?

So what will Obama do when it comes back to smack him in the face after the McCain campaign shows those old videos of McCain being released in slow motion and hearing McCain give his military dog tag number over and over again?

What will Obama do when people start questioning how a man with no military expirence can talk about McCain's?

mckmas8808

scorcho said:
because it's the tooth?

So what will Obama do when it comes back to smack him in the face after the McCain campaign shows those old videos of McCain being released in slow motion and hearing McCain give his military dog tag number over and over again?

What will Obama do when people start questioning how a man with no military expirence can talk about McCain's?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mandark said:
This doesn't bug me. Obama's been pretty consistent in paying homage to military service, and while I think war is fetishized in our culture, I don't expect Obama to remedy that in the course of a single political campaign.

I'm more worried when Democrats feel a need to match the GOP in violent rhetoric about FP, like Evan Bayh was during the fetal stage of this election cycle. As long as Obama keeps presenting a strong, direct challenge to Bush-era hawkism, I'm fine with him occasionally polishing McCain's medals.
IMO Obama could have polished McCain's pristine medals while clarifying what Clark said and the validity behind it.
David Brooks continues to high-five himself. right now. as i type this. THAT bothers me also.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
scorcho said:
IMO Obama could have polished McCain's pristine medals while clarifying what Clark said and the validity behind it.
David Brooks continues to high-five himself. right now. as i type this. THAT bothers me also.

In a week, this won't even matter. Obama will pick McCain apart on his own terms and directly on the issues. There's no sense prolonging this sideshow.

reilo

Sigh, Mathews, can you stop the Catholics pandering, please?

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
Should be "interesting", but Clark is going to be on Abrams tonight.
Good. Maybe they'll talk about the full context. :lol

Also, this comment from TPM is gold:

Continues to boggle my mind what a difference 4 years can make to the conservatives.
1996: Bob Dole is a war hero! Clinton is a draft dodger! WORSHIP THE WAR HERO!

2000: Forget the war! Ignore the potential Vietnam-era AWOL-ness of our candidate, and his complete lack of foreign policy knowledge! He's got integrity!

2004: So what your candidate actually fought and was injured in the same war during which our candidate was so very much NOT AWOL! We mock his service and question the legitimacy of his injuries! Have a purple band-aid to wear at our convention!

2008: Only a certified war hero can lead this country! WORSHIP THE WAR HERO!

GhaleonEB

Clark put out a statement to reporters (per Ben Smith). He's not backing down. (Which is good, since he's correct.)

There are many important issues in this Presidential election, clearly one of the most important issues is national security and keeping the American people safe. In my opinion, protecting the American people is the most important duty of our next President. I have made comments in the past about John McCain's service and I want to reiterate them in order be crystal clear. As I have said before I honor John McCain's service as a prisoner of war and a Vietnam Veteran. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands and millions of others in Armed Forces as a prisoner of war. I would never dishonor the service of someone who chose to wear the uniform for our nation.

John McCain is running his campaign on his experience and how his experience would benefit him and our nation as President. That experience shows courage and commitment to our country - but it doesn't include executive experience wrestling with national policy or go-to-war decisions. And in this area his judgment has been flawed - he not only supported going into a war we didn't have to fight in Iraq, but has time and again undervalued other, non-military elements of national power that must be used effectively to protect America But as an American and former military officer I will not back down if I believe someone doesn't have sound judgment when it comes to our nation's most critical issues.

More drama tomorrow, I'm sure.

reilo

I'd figure, if anyone can criticize somebody's leadership in the military, it would be a 4-star general, no?

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:
I'd figure, if anyone can criticize somebody's leadership in the military, it would be a 4-star general, no?

Yup, it's perfectly fair for Clark to, of course Obama can't in the eyes of the public, so he'll disavow the comments, but Clark will get the message out there.

reilo

So, where does McCain get the balls to call Obama out on Clark's comments, especially after his patriotism speech this morning?

McCain is a walking case of cognitive dissonance.

reilo

Wow at Bush and McCain taking credit for the GI Bill now. Fucking disgusting.

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:
Wow at Bush and McCain taking credit for the GI Bill now. Fucking disgusting.

It took brass ones, ya gotta admit.

"This bill which I vehemently opposed for no reason and McCain opposed and then didn't even vote on....we were instrumental in getting it passed."

Tamanon

Banned
Er.....Keith, Obama has already said that he would be willing to investigate and prosecute the previous administration and hold them accountable.

And there ya go.

Eh that was kinda lame, I don't think Obama has to make public his intent to prosecute the administration, that might bring back memories of Ken Starr.

Tamanon

Banned
It's off and on, Dan's a good host, but some of the guests can be REALLY annoying. Plus, he spends too much time on random stories about murderers and stuff.

esbern

Obama finally stops doing something stupid for an entire week....and then Wes Clark says this shit. Jesus fucking christ, whoever is managing this shit needs to be slapped.

Tamanon

Banned
esbern said:
Obama finally stops doing something stupid for an entire week....and then Wes Clark says this shit. Jesus fucking christ, whoever is managing this shit needs to be slapped.

Clark isn't managed by Obama:p He's not a part of the campaign at all.

Who the fuck is this black women on the verdict?

Clarks comments were so on the spot its hilarious to demand he should take back his statement.

Tamanon

Banned
Wes Clark basically said that McCain wasn't even a really a POW and was really a member of the Hanoi Country Club while burning flags to roast marshmallows.

At least that's what Rush's anger level told me.

Karma: It's hilarious. Even though he said he wasn't a surrogate(and still works for MSNBC) and Obama has said he's not a surrogate, she kept trying to push "he speaks for Obama!"

Diablos

On June 29, 2008, Clark made comments on Face the Nation that were critical of Republican John McCain, calling into question the notion that McCain's military service had given him experience relevant to being president. When moderator Bob Schieffer noted that Obama had no military experience to prepare him for the presidency nor had he "ridden in a fighter plane and gotten shot down,” Clark responded, "Well, I don’t think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president.”[138] Both the McCain and Obama campaigns subsequently released statements criticizing Clark.
oh snap :lol

That's balls.
These kinds of things will happen.

Quite frankly McCain picking Tom Ridge as his VP scares me more than anything else right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom