• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
Odrion said:
I'd rather have Hannity and Rush spew garbage than the government to decide what news is "fair" for me to know about.

They also say "reinstated", you mean the fairness doctrine was used once before?
The government already does control the media...ever heard of the FCC?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Odrion said:
I'd rather have Hannity and Rush spew garbage than the government to decide what news is "fair" for me to know about.

They also say "reinstated", you mean the fairness doctrine was used once before?

Yes. It's elimination probably paved the way for Rush and his $400 million payday.

Odrion said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that, as of now, I really haven't seen this issue come up except from conservative news sites. Due purely to apathy until somebody sheds some more light on it, I'm inclined to believe that the implications are being blown out of proportion.

That is, until I get some objective analysis on it. Are there any links to Papa Bear discussing it in the No-Spin Zone?

Odrion

Banned
pxleyes said:
The government already does control the media...ever heard of the FCC?
And I don't like the FCC! I don't want the Government determining what news is fair for me to know about.

GhaleonEB

Odrion said:
And I don't like the FCC! I don't want the Government determining what news is fair for me to know about.
Media oversight is absolutely necessary. I think it's touchy when we get to regulating content, but I do think the idea of the fairness doctrine has a place in the context of a truly publicly financed election.

Gaborn

pxleyes said:
He has a point though. The media companies are huge. There is little to no true free speech as a producer in a room gets to determine what goes on TV.

Ok, but the way to fight that is not to regulate it and impose some sort of restrictive government standard on what is ok and what is not ok, the way you deal with it is providing new and different formats for your information, for example the reason the "old media" ABC, CBS, and NBC are dying, as well to a slightly lesser extent cable news (ignoring mostly entirely the print media) is because the internet can give you more information that you want faster.

And if you're STILL not happy you 1) don't have to watch that channel 2) don't have to have cable in the first place.

The whole free speech area is difficult. And the way things are right now, I think it is kinda broken. I wouldn't want to bring back 'the fairness doctrine' but I do think the media has far too much power to outright lie and distort facts.

I think that there needs to be some kind of change to reduce the amount of disinformation floating around. Perhaps the standards for a public figure to file a libel/slander lawsuit should be reduced. News is extremely important to a democracy . . . but if the news is completely filled with lies and disinformation, there is no way that people can make intelligent voting decisions.

Basically, I think that intentionally false and misleading information spread about a public figure should be actionable. Thus if you say things like "McCain has a black baby" or "Obama is a Muslim", you should be liable. There is no excuse for such crap.

Gaborn

speculawyer said:
The whole free speech area is difficult. And the way things are right now, I think it is kinda broken. I wouldn't want to bring back 'the fairness doctrine' but I do think the media has far too much power to outright lie and distort facts.

I think that there needs to be some kind of change to reduce the amount of disinformation floating around. Perhaps the standards for a public figure to file a libel/slander lawsuit should be reduced. News is extremely important to a democracy . . . but if the news is completely filled with lies and disinformation, there is no way that people can make intelligent voting decisions.

Basically, I think that intentionally false and misleading information spread about a public figure should be actionable. Thus if you say things like "McCain has a black baby" or "Obama is a Muslim", you should be liable. There is no excuse for such crap.

I dunno, the thing is, the Falwell v. Hustler case really kind of raised the bar for celebrities. Very few reasonable people could rationally believe that Obama is a secret Muslim for example, it just doesn't fit him (heck, his biggest controversy so far was with his CHRISTIAN PASTOR). It's pretty hard to believe that's defamatory when a relatively few kooks advocate it.

I will say though if that type of change came into effect it should be restricted to the original source of such a "rumor"/lie. I could see some sort of class action lawsuit against anyone who repeated a false claim and I'd say there are a lot of risks inherent with doing that.

Just one more hit job on Obama. Today, folks on Hardball saying Obama contradicting himself regarding troop withdrawal in Iraq. I heard the press conference and I read and heard the position he stated back early last year and I don't see it. Just because Obama said he wasn't an idiot and would talk to generals on the ground regarding month to month troop withdrawals with respect to looking at what's happening on the ground seems the responsible thing to do (though he did reiterate again the plan is still 16 months for full withdrawal).

The media pisses me off to no end. For once, be objective and call stuff when it needs to be done. Stop with the fabrications. This doesn't surprise me coming from Politico but it seems the Tribune has also jumped on board with this nonsense.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mercury Fred said:
Agreed. We have a right to be lied to with disinformation by FCC license-holding news organizations.

I agree with this post. I hate Hannity and Limbaugh but they have the right to dominant the air waves.

Personally, I avoid network news because it's so awful. The dumbest internet boards on earth are every bit as informed and intelligent as most of what you see on CNN, for instance.

I don't think the Fairness Doctrine is quite the solution to the problem of the media's emphasis on entertainment/theater/controversy of news as opposed to the actual news, but I do think the evidence during its existance compared to how things have become without it argues rather strongly that it's better than nothing. Another thing to keep in mind is that the "5 o'clock news" is a remnant of the Fairness Doctrine -- there's nothing stopping that from disappearing or becoming a self-mockery in the next decade as well. In so far is that news is a public service, some outside intervention seems necessary. You wouldn't want a fire department in the business purely for the money, after all.

So there's the question of how you intervene, and whether or not the government should be involved. But I think to some extent government has to be, because who else has the authority to do the job? That doesn't mean you turn the news into parrots for some agenda (would that really be any worse than what we have?), but some set of rules established, and some sort of committee to enforce them... and hopefully something to make sure the committee stays in line as well. :lol

GhaleonEB

TPM and Axelrod?

Wow...y'all are hurting. Just look at his record the last couple weeks. He's flipped on just about everything. Iraq will be no different. Today was just a taste. Better to start getting it out there. Today was the perfect time with the long 4th weekend when nobody will be paying attention.

syllogism

siamesedreamer said:
TPM and Axelrod?

Wow...y'all are hurting. Just look at his record the last couple weeks. He's flipped on just about everything. Iraq will be no different. Today was just a taste. Better to start getting it out there. Today was the perfect time with the long 4th weekend when nobody will be paying attention.
He has not flipped on anything besides FISA perhaps.

e: and perhaps DC gun ban, though that had always been a balancing act

In a second, quickly-scheduled press availability, the Senator insists his position on Iraq has not changed.

“I intend to end this war... That position has not changed. I have not equivocated on that position. I am not searching for maneuvering room with respect to that position.”

Though he also says:

“I have always reserved the right to do what’s best for America’s national interest… I would be a poor commander-in-chief if I didn’t take facts on the ground into account.”

TIME

What the fuck is he trying to say? :lol

Rachel and Joe: Fight!

Race for the Whitehouse is all kinds of pathetic today. The fact that Scarbs is taking top spot today assures pure right wing mind rot.

Gaborn said:
I dunno, the thing is, the Falwell v. Hustler case really kind of raised the bar for celebrities. Very few reasonable people could rationally believe that Obama is a secret Muslim for example, it just doesn't fit him (heck, his biggest controversy so far was with his CHRISTIAN PASTOR). It's pretty hard to believe that's defamatory when a relatively few kooks advocate it.
Well, Falwell v. Hustler basically said you can't get through intentional infliciton of emotion distress what you can't get from libel/slander. And that case was a clear parody . . . it even said "PARODY" at the bottom of the page.

It is the landmark NY Times v. Sullivan case that I think may need to be scaled back a bit.

I think a lot of people really do believe he is a Muslim. And even if you don't believe, spreading something WITH THE INTENT of trying to get people to believe that when you know it is not true seems like it should be actionable to me. It is just ridiculous to have campaigns where everyone is allowed to lie like crazy. Perhaps this could be an exception for politicians running for office but you can still make up crazy shit about Hollywood people?

err server mess up. Sorry.

to finish up.

He did change a bit on Iraq. He just did it awhile ago. And it's funny to see everyone jump on Obama now.

GhaleonEB

Karma Kramer said:
Obama has got to start getting on the offensive soon otherwise I see this snowball turning into an avalanche.
If anything, it just shows how eager the MSM is to pounce on him. A reiteration of his stance on Iraq gets turned into a flip-flop, when he's repeating what he's said for a year. His win in November will be all the more remarkable because this is the hill he has to climb.

GhaleonEB said:
If anything, it just shows how eager the MSM is to pounce on him. A reiteration of his stance on Iraq gets turned into a flip-flop, when he's repeating what he's said for a year. His win in November will be all the more remarkable because this is the hill he has to climb.

I agree with you, but that still doesn't change the fact that the past two weeks has molded Barack into being wishy washy and a typical politician.

Its getting bad.

I agree with Karma on this, I'm getting very worried about this. I'm feeling as though the enthusiasm is dying a bit.

Damn, after all of the moaning I did...I'm now starting to believe it when Hillary supporters said she was helping Obama by staying in the race. Prolonging it may have wasted money and slightly divided the party for a moment, but the shit kept Obama looking fresh and new in the media.

It's probably just doom and gloom but whatever, I just feel that the McCain camp has the media in it's hands and it's like Obama isn't really doing anything to stop it. Maybe his primary team isn't what he needs at this point, I'm thinking that some general election changes might need to be made before all is said and done.

Karma Kramer said:
Obama has got to start getting on the offensive soon otherwise I see this snowball turning into an avalanche.

Agreed. I've been saying this for weeks. The McCain camps has been using the press to their advantage by directing the conversation for the last several weeks. So they end up playing offense while Obama is constantly on defense (and the press is all so eager to repeat republican talking points, falsities and all).

For instance, now McCain is pushing the Obama isn't trustworthy talking point. Obama should push back hard on McCain's hypocrisy and direct the narrative. (They did it once and it was a great for days for them and then it's been defense ever since.)

Tamanon

Banned
I think the problem is that he's not running a negative campaign, but not running it to a fault. Only responding to attacks instead of attacking. Until the numbers fall, there's no real reason to change.

Plus, the MSM has been playing to McCain's tune and sometimes there's not much you can do about that.

syllogism

Liara T'Soni said:
I agree with Karma on this, I'm getting very worried about this. I'm feeling as though the enthusiasm is dying a bit.

Damn, after all of the moaning I did...I'm now starting to believe it when Hillary supporters said she was helping Obama by staying in the race. Prolonging it may have wasted money and slightly divided the party for a moment, but the shit kept Obama looking fresh and new in the media.

It's probably just doom and gloom but whatever, I just feel that the McCain camp has the media in it's hands and it's like Obama isn't really doing anything to stop it. Maybe his primary team isn't what he needs at this point, I'm thinking that some general election changes might need to be made before all is said and done.
Mccain's campaign is the one in disarray. GOP strategist and donor pressure is the reason for the shake up. Team Mccain has wasted months and STILL doesn't have a coherent message.

So, I've been reading up on the FISA bill, and apparently it's a whole hell of a lot worse than I thought it was - less a compromise and more like "oh, let's give Bush what he wants so we don't look soft on violating the 4th amendment terror before the elections."

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
These July 4th commentators on CNN are worse than even the regular panel.

Gaborn

reilo said:
I thought he was gay.

Or is that another Florida politician?

While I wouldn't be shocked (very little closetted Republicans could do would surprise me) I know that one definitely gay Florida republican is/was Mark Foley (the congressional page scandal)

I have a few things to ask of NeoGAF for the sake of a debate I am having with my mother.

What are the policies that McCain has flip-flopped on from 2000 to 2008?

And I need some article that sums up why offshore drilling is just a gimmick and will not lower gas prices. It needs to be from an un-biased source.

If anyone here could help that would be fantastic.

Webb seems more and more likely nowadays (but let's home his early comments on women in the military don't come back to bite him). Evan Bayh might also be a good pick (though I'm not too sure about his foreign policy credentials though he might bring his state along with him). Webb seems like he might have more of an appeal to the all too important "working class whites". This could be big in VA, PA, MI, OH and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom