• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
There's nothing wrong with putting money into alternative energy. It helps out the country. That's what the government is for. To help the country.
Giving people money to buy what they are already going to buy is not helping the country.

No, it doesn't. Consumers are already looking for an alternative, manufacturers want to get their product onto the road. There is no need for intervention there.

It comes down to this, do you want to get from A to B making money, or putting less money into the economy
Giving people money to buy what they are already going to buy is not helping the country.

OK . . . then how about we stop subsidizing oil by getting rid of all the troops sent to Iraq mainly to get control of oil, the navy which has been used to protect the persian gulf and keep the oil flowing, the subsidies for oil in the Bush/Cheney energy bill, the subsidies all fossil fuels get by not paying for the pollution they cause, the subsidies fossil fuels get by not paying for the climate change they cause, etc. ?

Oil is massively subsidized by the US taxpayers . . . how about we stop that? Well if not, how about we at least level the playing field by supporting electric cars.

Azih

Oil is massively subsidised guy. Hell cars in general are massively subsidised by the miles and miles of 'free'way and roads built on the taxpayers dime.

syllogism

Diablos

So, how does everyone feel about FISA, faith-based, etc. now that you've been able to digest the news?

While I'm not particularly fond of the FISA decision myself (in fact, its pretty disgusting), I really do think Obama would be a lot more responsible. I do not say this as a means of being in denial or looking the other way. He would not be reckless like the current administration is. I take him at his word that he will be watching things closely. I'm still not happy that it is passing, however. But I do not see Obama as someone who will continue the fine act of pissing on our civil liberties behind closed, locked, boarded shut doors. Do you?

As for the faith-based initiatives, it's very smart. Notice how he's shifting the message away from things like abortion, and putting emphasis on poverty, social injustice, etc. Which is great. I wish that would be the main message of any campaign's faith-based initiatives instead of things like abortion, keeping gay people out of modern society and what the model family is supposed to look and act like. You have to give Obama credit for trying to figure out a way to connect with the fundamentalist evangelicals in this country.

As far as Iraq goes, he has to travel there. Plain and simple. It has been a while, so traveling around the world (including the ME) is necessary. McCain shouldn't be talking about it being nothing more than a "check box." The only way it wouldn't be a "check box" to McCain is probably if Obama went there on someone else's terms or advise, like McCain's. Kind of like those 10+ town hall meetings. McCain needs to stop acting like such a sissy.

Azih

RE: Faith based initiatives. This is just another extension of the Dean 50 state strategy just demographic in nature rather than geographical. The Republicans have built an extremely strong based by appealing to the divisive aspects of religion (intolerance) and the Democrats for whatever reason just rolled over and let them have it. That Obama is forcing the Republicans to actually contest once unassailable ground by appealing to the best aspects of religion (charity) is a *good* thing no matter what your religionLOL beliefs may be.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i have no problem with his extension/modification of faith-based programs as i've seen a large number of churches expand social programs (at least concerning emergency food in NYC) his FISA stance - not so much. i don't believe in unchecked power used benevolently.

Gaborn

Diablos said:
So, how does everyone feel about FISA, faith-based, etc. now that you've been able to digest the news?

While I'm not particularly fond of the FISA decision myself (in fact, its pretty disgusting), I really do think Obama would be a lot more responsible. I do not say this as a means of being in denial or looking the other way. He would not be reckless like the current administration is. I take him at his word that he will be watching things closely. I'm still not happy that it is passing, however. But I do not see Obama as someone who will continue the fine act of pissing on our civil liberties behind closed, locked, boarded shut doors. Do you?

No President should have that much power available to tempt them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
I was just coming to post that. WTF. :lol

http://www.pollster.com/08-MT-Pres-GE-MvO.php

The only other two polls for Montana were in February and April, and Obama was behind by 8 and 5 respectively. So it certainly seems plausable that he could bounce up by five since then. But still. Montana. Wow.

And that's a state Bill Clinton needsto work hard. Also Bill needs to be in Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, and Georgia.

Hillary needs to be in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Florida, and Michigan.

Bill Richardson needs to be in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada.

If that happened there would be NO way Obama could lose.

On FISA...

Didn't Obama say he disapproved of retroactive immunity? I do wish he had fought against it in the Senate, but I suppose he's busy. Eh. Again, disappointed, but I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

As for the campaign financing deal, well... while I'd prefer he'd opt for public financing, there's the whole deal of the 527s. Since McCain refuses to reign them in, they'd be used to a much greater effect against Obama. Remember, these folks managed to get Bush elected instead of Gore.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/RGA_raising_money_for_McCain.html#comments

RGA raising money for McCain

Brody Mullins and T.W. Farnam have the lead story in today's WSJ about some, uh, creative avenues Republicans are taking to contribute money to McCain:
In one method, a Republican Party fund aimed at electing governors has started marketing itself as a home for contributions of unlimited size to help Sen. McCain. His 2002 campaign law limits donations to presidential races to try to curtail the influence of wealth.

The Republican Governors Association isn't subject to those limits, and has long gathered up large donations from individuals and companies. Now it is telling donors it can use their contributions to benefit Sen. McCain in some key battleground states.

That makes the group "the best way to help McCain," says donor David Hanna, who gave $25,000 -- more than 10 times the legal cap of $2,300 for direct gifts to presidential candidates.

I am SHOCKED that suddenly another loophole is discovered when the guy who helped write the campaign finance "reform" rules is running.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hitokage said:
Suddenly Obama's decision looks better.

I gaged this by the feigned outrage coming from McCain's camp which was really just thinly veiled fear. See also: "Checking a box" in Iraq/Afghanistan.

mckmas8808

Tamanon said:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/RGA_raising_money_for_McCain.html#comments

I am SHOCKED that suddenly another loophole is discovered when the guy who helped write the campaign finance "reform" rules is running.
And all these tricks really start looking bad for McCain. It is like just a small number of very rich people are donating huge chunks of money to get their guy elected. That is not very democratic.

It seems that a lot of the low level blue-collar GOPers have decided not to give much money now. Perhaps they've lost their jobs or they are just struggling to scape up enough money to fill the gas tank or feed the family.

Banned
speculawyer said:
OK . . . then how about we stop subsidizing oil by getting rid of all the troops sent to Iraq mainly to get control of oil, the navy which has been used to protect the persian gulf and keep the oil flowing, the subsidies for oil in the Bush/Cheney energy bill, the subsidies all fossil fuels get by not paying for the pollution they cause, the subsidies fossil fuels get by not paying for the climate change they cause, etc. ?

Oil is massively subsidized by the US taxpayers . . . how about we stop that? Well if not, how about we at least level the playing field by supporting electric cars.
I didn't say I had a problem with that. I had a problem with giving people money for things they are already going to buy

Diablos said:

Bullshit. it should be stopped. Obama can be just as much of an asshole as any other politician is. You people are crazy, completely willing to stand down for privacy if someone you've never met, but looks good on T.V asks for it.

He should be taken to the coals for that crap. Stop acting like a dick overseas and stop pissing on the fourth amendment

Diablos said:
As for the faith-based initiatives, it's very smart. Notice how he's shifting the message away from things like abortion, and putting emphasis on poverty, social injustice, etc. Which is great. I wish that would be the main message of any campaign's faith-based initiatives instead of things like abortion, keeping gay people out of modern society and what the model family is supposed to look and act like. You have to give Obama credit for trying to figure out a way to connect with the fundamentalist evangelicals in this country.
... Fucking wow

Go check up on George W. Bush circa 2000. "Compassionate conservatism didn't walk into the white house drenched in the blood of aborted fetus

I didn't say I had a problem with that. I had a problem with giving people money for things they are already going to buy
Well that is exactly what all those subsidies for oil are . . . they are giving people money for things they are already going to buy. Have the government pay massive amounts to the military to invade Iraq largely for oil and have the navy patrol the Persian gulf to protect oil tankers is giving people money to help them buy oil. I have problem with that. It is unfair subsidy that distorts the market. And then add in the uncaptured costs of pollution caused and climate change.

See . . . I am a Libertarian, I want those unfair market aspects removed . . . or at least balanced out with tax credits.

On FISA, I'm bothered by his stance on the compromise bill and I hope he revisits the decision. As I feel the telecoms should be held accountable to the furthest extent.

I'm not bothered by his stance on faith-based programs. A vast majority of these programs are set up to help those in need within the communities they are located. I'm against giving any group government money that discriminates in any way, but organizations like Urban Ministries do a tremendous service. I worked for a faith-based service organization for three years and we busted our asses to raise money. Money that went right back into the community to repair homes in some of the worst poverty I've ever witnessed. So based on Barack's sustained message of service, I would say his support of certain faith-based programs falls in line with statements he's made during his entire campaign.

Even though I disagree with him on FISA, it won't effect my vote in anyway. I'd rather have a few qualms with a President I respect, than live the rest of my life knowing that I voted for a third Bush term. That would be fucking terrible.

he voted FISA because the left will vote for him and will vote AGAINST McCain and the moderates will vote for him. Like it or not, most of US is right leaning and this is a typical right leaning issue.

mckmas8808

TheClimaxan said:
On FISA, I'm bothered by his stance on the compromise bill and I hope he revisits the decision. As I feel the telecoms should be held accountable to the furthest extent.

What would you consider the fullest extent?

FlightOfHeaven said:
Eh. Again, disappointed, but I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
TheClimaxan said:
Even though I disagree with him on FISA, it won't effect my vote in anyway. I'd rather have a few qualms with a President I respect, than live the rest of my life knowing that I voted for a third Bush term. That would be fucking terrible.
Ignoring all the hyperbole about what a dramatic shift we've seen from Obama, I do think there's a little cause for concern. Individually, most of these things don't amount to much, and they certainly don't undermine his message substantially. However, some of these moves, even when rationalized pragmatically, do disappointingly paint him, when you add them all up, as just another politician trying to win an election as opposed to the leader of the new political movement.

Again though, it's just knee-jerk reactions at this point that are causing some people to say that he's a sell-out, and it's disingenuous to argue that he's going down the slippery slope, but I do hope we don't continue to see this pattern emerging. His NAFTA stance in particular I found a little disconcerting. Not because I have any strong opinions about NAFTA, but just because both he and Hillary were going out of their way to appear against NAFTA during the Ohio primary narrative, and both were trying to paint the other as being the bad guy who secretly supported it. And now? He admits that the entire thing might have been just fiery rhetoric. That IS typical Washington politics.

election2008_HP_1.gif

election2008_HP_2.gif

election2008_HP_3.gif

GhaleonEB

I kind of got a kick out of this. From today's Gallup:

As would be expected from any methodology involving repeated sampling from a large population, there have been slight fluctuations in the daily reports of Gallup Poll Daily tracking rolling averages (each based on three days worth of interviewing of over 2,500 registered voters), but little indication for weeks now of substantive change in the structure of the race.

From today's Rasmussen:

With leaners, Obama has been at 49% for twelve straight days and at either 48% or 49% for twenty-one straight days. During that time, McCain has generally been at 43% of 44%. He slipped to 42% on one day and inched up to 45% four times.

Gallup noting that of course there's going to be fluctuations in daily tracking, while Rasmussen notes how stable their daily tracking poll has been.

WTF is this 'battle of Patriotism'? How stupid is that?

Both very legitimate statements. The problem with McCain's is that with his "Putting the country first" is that his Iraq war support doesn't follow it. The Iraq war isn't helping the American people at all . . . and it is costing billions. McCain's devotion to the Iraq war show me that he is putting the interests of the Iraqi people, the oil companies, and his ego invested in this war above the interests of the USA.

You know McCain is shit when even even Fox News rails against you

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/03/mccain-undermines-own-message-says-obama-is-trustworthy/

McCain Backs Off Message, Says Obama is ‘Trustworthy’

John McCain said Thursday he thinks Barack Obama is trustworthy, even though he has spent the last two weeks portraying his Democratic rival as somebody who can’t keep his word.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee, in an interview with FOX News, seemed to undercut his own message, which has fluctuated since Obama clinched the nomination June 3.

The campaign has hurled several labels at the Illinois senator — but ever since Obama opted out of public financing for the general election, reneging on a previous pledge to take the money, McCain’s campaign has consistently tried to label him as untrustworthy.

Asked if he personally trusts Obama Thursday, McCain said: “I’m sure he’s trustworthy. I admire Senator Obama … I will run a respectful campaign with him.”

He said he just doesn’t trust him when it comes to campaign finance.

“He broke his word … that’s just a fact,” he said.

McCain had stronger words on Saturday during a fundraiser in Kentucky, where he said: “You know, this election is about trust, and trusting people’s word … And unfortunately, apparently on several items, Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted.”

And on the plane to Colombia Tuesday night, McCain said, “I think Americans want a leader they can trust and have confidence in and I believe that they will more and more see where Senator Obama has switched his positions on fundamental issues.”

He also said, “For him to switch and dramatically change his position — like public financing, like so many other issues . It’s a matter of trust. You have got to take people’s word.”

McCain spoke with FOX News Thursday in Mexico City, before visiting with Mexican officials and meeting with President Felipe Calderon to discuss illegal immigration. He was in Colombia Tuesday and Wednesday, where he discussed free trade and drug interdiction with President Alvaro Uribe.

He told FOX News it was just a coincidence that he was in Colombia when 15 hostages, including three Americans, were rescued from leftist rebels Wednesday.

“An operation such as this requires weeks or months of planning,” he said. “So of course there is no connection between that … it’s just impossible.”

He said that in Mexico, Calderon is “truly dedicated” to addressing illegal immigration, and that it will have the “highest priority” in a McCain administration.

Responding to many recent polls that show him trailing Obama, the Arizona senator also said he’s comfortable playing the role of the underdog.

“I think I’ll be the underdog right up until a minute before the polls close in California,” he said. “I think, though, I do best as the underdog.”

He spoke freely about the campaign and Obama, even though he said Tuesday such discussions would end at the “water’s edge.”

McCain said the recent move to put adviser Steve Schmidt in charge of day-to-day campaign operations was just part of a “very great expansion in our campaign.”

It has been described as a shakeup, but McCain said Schmidt has gradually taken over more responsibilities. He said Rick Davis remains campaign manager and has “overall responsibility.”

“All of us thought, including Rick, that it would be better to give Steve some … more responsibilities, as we’ve given other people more responsibilities as the campaign has expanded.”

As for his strategy going forward: “We need to keep doing what we’re doing, only do it a lot harder.”

FOX News’ Carl Cameron contributed to this report.

GhaleonEB

DemConWatch thinks Obama's acceptance speech might be given at the Invesco Field at Mile High, which seats 75,000. Open to the public, of course.

http://www.demconwatchblog.com/2008/07/will-obama-accept-nomination-at-invesco.html

And McCain - who promised to run the "clean" campaign - is the first to go negative in an ad.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/new_mccain_swing_state_ad_atta.php

"It seems to me that the other candidate just discovered the importance of the Hispanic vote."

Of course, Hispanics support Obama 2:1 over McCain, so they don't seem to mind.

Odrion

Banned
I turned on MSNBC and saw the headline "Obama: Bush's third term?"

What the fuuuuuuuck.

Can someone tell me what Nanci Pelosi's "fairness doctrine" all about before I start calling her a facist pig? From what I heard, it seems like it's suppose to limit freedom of speech in the news media which is just all sorts of wrong.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Odrion said:
I turned on MSNBC and saw the headline "Obama: Bush's third term?"

What the fuuuuuuuck.

hahahahahahaha The WSJ ran a piece about this and the "liberal" media is lapping it up? Or are they just calling it the bullshit it actually is? Oh man. I've heard it all now.

msnbc-wsj-editorial-obama-070308.jpg

LINK

Odrion

Banned
Odrion said:
Can someone tell me what Nanci Pelosi's "fairness doctrine" all about before I start calling her a facist pig? From what I heard, it seems like it's suppose to limit freedom of speech in the news media which is just all sorts of wrong.
The Fairness Doctrine would force radio broadcasters to provide equal time for opposing points of view—essentially giving the government the ability to regulate media content.

Use Google next time you fucker.

mj1108

bob_arctor said:
hahahahahahaha The WSJ ran a piece about this and the "liberal" media is lapping it up? Or are they just calling it the bullshit it actually is? Oh man. I've heard it all now.

LINK
:lol :lol :lol :lol

There aren't enough :lol :lol for this....

Odrion said:
The Fairness Doctrine would force radio broadcasters to provide equal time for opposing points of view—essentially giving the government the ability to regulate media content.

Use Google next time you fucker.
You know, I haven't really heard much about this one aside from complaints from the right that this is just a sinister attempt by Pelosi to get Hannity and Rush off the air.

bob_arctor said:

LINK

Holy crap . . . are they really this desperate this early?

Odrion

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
You know, I haven't really heard much about this one aside from complaints from the right that this is just a sinister attempt by Pelosi to get Hannity and Rush off the air.
I'd rather have Hannity and Rush spew garbage than the government to decide what news is "fair" for me to know about.

They also say "reinstated", you mean the fairness doctrine was used once before?

Odrion said:
I'd rather have Hannity and Rush spew garbage than the government to decide what news is "fair" for me to know about.
Agreed. We have a right to be lied to with disinformation by FCC license-holding news organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom