• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
killakiz said:
LOL I was just watching late edition on CNN and the democratic and republican pundits gave each other a fist bump after they debated. :lol

They gave fist bumps this morning as well on a show called "sources" or something like that on CNN. The guy gave fist pounds to both females that were on the show.

Cheebs

NEW GALLUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

080608DailyUpdateGraph1_mkd093rd.gif

syllogism

Within the current five-day rolling average, Obama has exceeded McCain by a fair margin in each of the last three individual nights of Gallup polling, all conducted since Hillary Clinton announced she would be ending her bid for the Democratic nomination. It appears that her exit decision had the immediate effect of releasing some of her supporters to back Obama in the general election. If this continues in interviews conducted Sunday, Obama should have a clear lead over McCain in Monday's release. -- Lydia Saad
Oh, have their GE polls always been five day rolling averages?

Tamanon

Banned
syllogism said:

The primary ones have been 3-day rolling averages, I didn't think the generals were different, but they might've been or might've been changed recently.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Yeah. General Election population is far larger than a primary election population they need more people polled than in the primary for accurate results. It's always been a 5 day average.

Rassmussen however is a two-day average only. Which is why he has a 7% lead in there already.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
The primary ones have been 3-day rolling averages, I didn't think the generals were different, but they might've been or might've been changed recently.
The daily tracking against McCain have always been five-day. The Clinton-Obama match ups were always three days.

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
The daily tracking against McCain have always been five-day. The Clinton-Obama match ups were always three days.
Yep. It's just a matter of one is a far wider electorate.

GhaleonEB

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/08/clinton.voters/index.html

Clinton supporters already moving on, before she even dropped out.

In a CNN poll released Friday, 60 percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for McCain and 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the nominee.

Polls earlier in the week were even more split, IIRC one had 60% of Clinton supporters saying they would not vote for Obama. A few weeks from now and it will be stable, especially if she campaigns for Obama.

Uncooked said:
I didn't say they were, even in my last post i mentioned not everyone was. Look, I'm not putting all the blame on the buyers here, I was just arguing that it wasn't all the banks and financial institutions' fault that the bubble burst. Everyone deserves their fair share of the blame.

Look, I'm sure that there were those that took advantage of the system set up, no doubt. But there were many more that suffered due to it, so to lay the blame at the people's feet is wrong. Yes, the people were ignorant. That doesn't give the companies free reign to take advantage of the fact.

Also, it was 4/3/08 Fresh Air, just looked it up on my iTunes.

Zeed

Banned
After knowing nothing but near-constant political disappointment or apathy, sometimes this seems just too good to be true and I become convinced that Obama will lose in November.

I need to smoke up some more hopium.

Odrion

Banned
Bob Dylan endorses Obama.
"Well, you know right now America is in a state of upheaval. Poverty is demoralising. You can't expect people to have the virtue of purity when they are poor. But we've got this guy out there now who is redefining the nature of politics from the ground up...Barack Obama. He's redefining what a politician is, so we'll have to see how things play out. Am I hopeful? Yes, I'm hopeful that things might change. Some things are going to have to."

camineet

Banned
So, now that the primaries are over, is there anyone here that doesn't think Obama will just walk all over McCain in the general?

Obama already looks so Presidential, while McCain looks like a confused mess. McCain looks and seems older/stupider and less likely to win than Bob Dole did in 1996.

Zeed

Banned
camineet said:
McCain looks and seems older/stupider
"He seems like one of us!!!"

On a random note one of the few things I would like about a Clinton vice presidency is that she'd probably walk all over McCain's VP in the debate.

camineet

Banned
reilo said:
Was Bob Dole this bad?

Not as bad, McCain seems worse, and this is coming from someone who is not a left-winger, who grew up on Reagan and thought he could do no wrong. My parents were Reagan democrats, having loved JFK. They supported Bush Sr in 1988 and again in 1992 against Clinton, I would've voted the same way. I voted for Bush Jr in 2000, but not again in 2004, i stayed out. I've never been a dem, but Obama is the first dem i'm probably gonna be voting for.

I guess I'm gonna be an 'Obama Republican'.

Latest Electoral . This is what matters now, NOT GALLUPS. why? because gallups gauge the entire US population, while the electoral vote gauges the actual results in fall

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

As it stands on June 8th
Obama 287 McCain 227 Ties 24

Senate: Dem 58 GOP 42

House: Dem 238 GOP 197

Current Battleground states

New Mexico
Montana
Indiana
Michigan
South Carolina
Connecticut
Virginia
Ohio

Map in LInk

artredis1980 said:
Latest Electoral . This is what matters now, NOT GALLUPS. why? because gallups gauge the entire US population, while the electoral vote gauges the actual results in fall

As it stands on June 8th

New Mexico
Montana
Indiana
Michigan
South Carolina
Connecticut
Virginia
Ohio

Map in LInk

so basically:

Red in 2004:

New Mexico
Montana
Indiana
South Carolina
Virginia
Ohio

Blue in 04:

Michigan
Connecticut

like i've been saying, obama has A LOT more opportunities than mccain to win this thing. he should definitely win barring any major fuck up.

http://www.johnmccain.com/strategybriefing/

Hilarious "strategy briefing" by Rick Davis. "Watch California..." And their list of battlegrounds and safe seats. :lol

When watching the video, you wonder if the McCain folks ever realized that Obama has up to this point, not been running against McCain. "We have him right where we want him! Look at the burn rate of April!"

Cheebs

Incognito said:
http://www.johnmccain.com/strategybriefing/

Hilarious "strategy briefing" by Rick Davis. "Watch California..." And there list of battlegrounds and safe seats. :lol

When watching the video, you wonder if the McCain folks ever realized that Obama has up to this point, not been running against McCain. "We have him right where we want him! Look at the burn rate of April!"
Republicans are always convinced they can put California in play and waste money there. I don't get it.

artredis1980 said:

As it stands on June 8th

New Mexico
Montana
Indiana
Michigan
South Carolina
Connecticut
Virginia
Ohio

Map in LInk

Interesting.

Cheebs said:
Republicans are always convinced they can put California in play and waste money there. I don't get it.

Because in California for every tree-hugging progressive there is a beer-swilling redneck.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
artredis1980 said:

As it stands on June 8th

New Mexico
Montana
Indiana
Michigan
South Carolina
Connecticut
Virginia
Ohio

Map in LInk

Jun08.png

I don't see how Obama is gonna lose MI.

He's not. He's not going to lose Ohio or Pennslyvania, either. The McCain "strategy briefing" is simply an exercise in delusions of grandeur. They also have Oregon and Washington as "tossups". They're either willfully ignorant or this is a desperate attempt to reel in some $$ from gullible rainmakers.

reilo

Incognito said:
He's not. He's not going to lose Ohio or Pennslyvania, either. The McCain "strategy briefing" is simply an exercise in delusions of grandeur. They also have Oregon and Washington as "tossups". They're either willfully ignorant or this is a desperate attempt to reel in some $$ from gullible rainmakers.

If you wanna name most liberal states in the country, Washington and Oregon are on top of that list. Also, never underestimate the ability of Ohio to fuck up.

South Carolina is considered a battleground state? Really?

EDIT: I'm also shocked that Indiana and Missouri are so close. And yeah, calling Washington and Oregon swing states is kind of like considering Minnesota a swing state - willful ignorance, methinks.

Zaptruder said:
What? A marriage isn't a marriage isn't a marriage? Are you saying other states won't recognize a gay marriage if you move out of california?
I phrased that position a little incorrectly. He wants legal recognition of marriage of all kinds removed, and only civil unions to replace it (I think), but since that probably won't ever happen, he'd rather have same-sex marriages recognized with the same rights as other couples, name included. I think the former is silly, but I do agree with him on the latter - I'm not into the separate but equal-ness of civil unions for gays, marriage for heteros.

As to the second point of yours, under the Defense of Marriage Act, which both Gaborn and I would like to see repealed, yes, a same-sex marriage will not be recognized by the federal government no matter where you live, and it is up to the states to decide whether they will recognize it or not if you move out of California or Massachusetts.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
camineet said:
So, now that the primaries are over, is there anyone here that doesn't think Obama will just walk all over McCain in the general?

Obama already looks so Presidential, while McCain looks like a confused mess. McCain looks and seems older/stupider and less likely to win than Bob Dole did in 1996.

While I'd like to think so, I think it's too early to make that call. Let's get them both together and see how they interact who pulls out whose weaknesses and so forth.

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
They're trying to paint the picuture that they can exend the map the way Obama is. They can't and won't, of course, but I'm happy to see them waste lots of money here in Oregon.

Uncooked

Banned
reilo said:
If you wanna name most liberal states in the country, Washington and Oregon are on top of that list. Also, never underestimate the ability of Ohio to fuck up.

So if a state doesn't vote how you want it to it fucks up? I don't think Obama is an elitist in the sense that he thinks he is better than everyone, but his supporters seem to be elitists in that sense.

reilo

Uncooked said:
So if a state doesn't vote how you want it to it fucks up? I don't think Obama is an elitist in the sense that he thinks he is better than everyone, but his supporters seem to be elitists in that sense.

Ohio was the deciding factor in 2004. Just like Florida in 2000. I can pretty much say it fucked things up.

And does this even have to do with elitism? :lol

If Ohio votes for McCain, they are directly voting for more trade agreements and free-market economics that has fucked them over for years.

Tamanon

Banned
Uncooked said:

It fucks up what the person saying it wants. Don't be so sensitive, I'm sure someone will kiss the booboo on Ohio's knee.

Uncooked

Banned
reilo said:
Ohio was the deciding factor in 2004. Just like Florida in 2000. I can pretty much say it fucked things up.

And does this even have to do with elitism? :lol

Florida did fuck up yes, because of the massive issues it had, but the people of Ohio simply wanted Bush. I voted for Kerry, so don't blame me.

thekad

Banned
Uncooked said:
Cry more?

There has been an unbelievable amount of whining in these threads lately. This is GAF; get some thicker skin, maybe.

Ikael

So what do you think this year's big 527 attack ad on the nominee, Obama, will be?

I don't think it will be as easy to swiftboat Obama. All they really have is Rev. Wright saying "god damn America", to be looped a billion times in a commercial.

Or maybe they'll have people on camera saying Obama gave blowjobs and did crack

As an advertising and marketing guy: they will try to play with fear again, since this worked wonders on the previous ellections. Of course, It will not be explicit, but this is the subtle message : the evil negroes want their revenge on the white man (ancestral fear 101) and they will get it by ellecting Obama, who, unders his happy and innocent face, hides an america hating, anti white racist. In order to support that theory, they will scan every minimum dettail of the life of every person around him searching any kind of fault or hate, and blow it out of proportions (see: all the Reverend Wright crap).

Uncooked

Banned
thekad said:
Cry more?

There has been an unbelievable amount of whining in these threads lately. This is GAF; get some thicker skin, maybe.

When did I cry? I objected to a statement where a person insulted others because they didn't share the same opinion as he/she did, maybe you should try to be more tolerant of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom