• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
JayDubya said:
When I pointed out that McCain needs her to get out and talk to the press and prove she's no token, I also pointed out that she needs to be able to hold her own against Biden.

She's certainly got an uphill battle at this point, with all the scandal and media backlash, but she lives or dies based on how she fares tomorrow and in that debate.

Also, McCain can't afford to be skipping out on Larry King; he needs to be open and take on his challengers directly.

Hey Jaydubya, there was talk that you were going to be at Ron Paul's rally today, any truth to that?

Cloudy

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Technically, they can make that argument as she was the head of the Alaskan National Guard. I'm not saying that it means anything, but technically she has...

I'm pretty sure Governors don't have sole control of the National Guard in their states (The Federal govt. has the last say IIRC) Anyways, this argument that she has more experience than Obama is intellectually and factually bankrupt..

thekad

Banned
Gaborn said:
ok, "no one" is stretching it, southern racists certainly thought it was equality, and usually too much equality. Still though, it required follow up legislation again and again afterwards, heck, black men didn't explicitly have the right to vote or the explicit rights of citizenship until the 15th amendment, and even THEN it took the civil rights act of 1964 to truly give people rights on the federal level.

Thekad - Read Brown v. Board of Ed

... Are you arguing two conflicting positions at the same time?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gaborn said:
The reason it works, in my view is because I believe in marriage equality, not in civil unions. The problem with Obama is he views civil unions as an end. The effect of McCain, who is absolutely atrocious on gay rights would be to energize the marriage equality movement. The effect of Obama would be to energize the notion that 95% equality is ok.

What I want to know though is, if some state decided to give interracial and minority (opposite sex) couples civil unions identical to what Obama wants to give gay couples, but reserved marriage only for white couples would that be constitutional in Obama's worldview? As I said, McCain is bad for gay rights today, Obama is bad for gay rights tomorrow.
You sound exactly like the Klansmen who predict an Obama victory energizing their base as well. Wow.

Gaborn

thekad said:
... Are you arguing two conflicting positions at the same time?

What conflict do you see? I believe in equality for individuals, black or white, gay or straight, the right to marry is a universal human right, and there's no reason to deny it. I don't think abolishing slavery was an end game for civil rights in the least, do you? It was a major step, but it was not an end game. Most people thought that was where it WOULD end, but they didn't think that because it was full and total equality, did they? Again if all you give is some sort of snide one line response I won't feel the need to discuss your argument because you're not seriously addressing this.

Bishop - if you like, only I believe this time McCain's horrible record on civil rights for gays will do that.

Guy Legend

The possibly future son-in-law of the Veep

On his MySpace page, [Levi] Johnston [alleged father of Bristol's new baby] boasts, "I'm a f - - -in' redneck" who likes to snowboard and ride dirt bikes.

"But I live to play hockey. I like to go camping and hang out with the boys, do some fishing, shoot some s- - - and just f - - -in' chillin' I guess."

"Ya f - - - with me I'll kick [your] ---," he added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...Sarah-Palins-granchild-a-bad-boy-redneck.html

:lol

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Gary Whitta said:
LOL and the car wash went out of business. I am looking forward to this growing into the inevitable Dem talking point that she couldn't even run a car wash. :lol :lol :lol

Well you wouldn't want her to bee too successful, who knows how many houses she might then own! :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
UltimaKilo said:
Technically, they can make that argument as she was the head of the Alaskan National Guard. I'm not saying that it means anything, but technically she has...
It's quite a stretch when the Alaska National Guard's general says he and Palin make no decisions whatsoever about the Guard when it comes to national defense and overseas deployment. She can call some shots when it comes to local emergencies, but it isn't like she had to call them in to take care of city-wide riots or anything.

TDG

Banned
I don't know if McCain's really delusional enough to think that not going through with being on Larry King Live is going to get the media to back off, but he's only hurting himself here. Larry King is not going to press McCain hard, that was McCain's chance to get positive coverage. Stupid.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Guy Legend said:
The possibly future son-in-law of the Veep

On his MySpace page, [Levi] Johnston [alleged father of Bristol's new baby] boasts, "I'm a f - - -in' redneck" who likes to snowboard and ride dirt bikes.

"But I live to play hockey. I like to go camping and hang out with the boys, do some fishing, shoot some s- - - and just f - - -in' chillin' I guess."

"Ya f - - - with me I'll kick [your] ---," he added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...Sarah-Palins-granchild-a-bad-boy-redneck.html

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jIMJWupyWNmvU3UX2aGhICmZrQ_wD92UQKS81

WASILLA, Alaska (AP) — Bristol Palin's boyfriend plans to join the family of the Republican vice presidential candidate at the GOP convention.

Levi Johnston's mother said her 18-year-old son left Alaska on Tuesday morning to join the Palin family in St. Paul, Minn.

Sherry Johnston also said there has been no pressure put on her son to marry Bristol Palin, the pregnant daughter of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

"Absolutely not," Sherry Johnston told reporters outside the family's Wasilla home. Johnston said the two teens already had plans to marry before they knew she was pregnant.

Sarah Palin announced Monday that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter was pregnant. The father was not identified beyond the first name of Levi.

Man, this shit gets weirder and weirder :lol :lol

Nabs said:
:lol cnn brought up mccains wandering eyes. surprising

Is it just mere coincidence that both Cindy McCain and Sarah Palin are former beauty pageant winners? Does this reflect McCain's psychology at all?

I know . . . the rest of us are just sexist.

Wow, nice McCain clip on MSNBC right now. When you're being bombarded with questions that force you to give answers like "My vetting process was completely thorough" you've got to be wondering if you should have done things differently.

bob_arctor said:

Was a joke based on that video posted with that crazy woman on larry king arguing with james carville. Anything he brought up about palin's lack of experience, she countered with "SHES A WOMAN!" and basically kept saying Carville was sexist. Keep in mind Carville supported Hilary Clinton for president.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BoboBrazil said:
Was a joke based on that video posted with that crazy woman on larry king arguing with james carville. Anything he brought up about palin's lack of experience, she countered with "SHES A WOMAN!" and basically kept saying Carville was sexist. Keep in mind Carville supported Hilary Clinton for president.

That is their refrain now. So pitiful.....

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
TDG said:
I don't know if McCain's really delusional enough to think that not going through with being on Larry King Live is going to get the media to back off, but he's only hurting himself here. Larry King is not going to press McCain hard, that was McCain's chance to get positive coverage. Stupid.

He was on Larry King Live a few weeks ago and on Foxnews Sunday this last Sunday. I don't agree with skipping the interview, but it's not like nobody has been able to get a hold of him. He also said he couldn't wait to see Sarah Palin on Foxnews Sunday and Meet the Press.

HylianTom

Banned
speculawyer said:
Must resist temptation to post anything from the beginning of the Idiocracy. :lol

It would be funny to see a highlight reel of the campaign with everyone's IQs shown on the bottom of the screen.. :D

thekad

Banned
Gaborn said:
I don't think abolishing slavery was an end game for civil rights in the least, do you? It was a major step, but it was not an end game.

And that's why it serves as an able, though exaggerated, example of why your argument that Obama giving gays in civil unions the rights of married couples an effective - but not satisfactory - end to the gay rights movement ridiculous.

You've been disproving yourself this entire time, which is what was confusing the hell out of me.

v1cious

Banned
cagle00.gif

UltimaKilo said:
Well you wouldn't want her to bee too successful, who knows how many houses she might then own! :lol
What are you talking about? To get lots of houses, all you do is marry someone that is rich!

UltimaKilo said:
Don't you see that the simple argument of comparing experience and judgement between the top of the Dem's ticket and the bottom of the Republican's is an argument the Republican are loving?

Yeah, looks like it's really working well for them!

IOKIYAR!

UltimaKilo said:
He also said he couldn't wait to see Sarah Palin on Foxnews Sunday and Meet the Press.
I don't think the death of Tim Russert really hit me until I read this. Holy crap, how I would have loved to see that interview.

Gaborn

thekad said:
And that's why it serves as an able, though exaggerated, example of why your argument that Obama giving gays in civil unions the rights of married couples an effective - but not satisfactory - end to the gay rights movement ridiculous.

You've been disproving yourself this entire time, which is what was confusing the hell out of me.

That's NOT what Obama thinks though, is it? See, I believe the danger in Obama on the issue is in part the rhetoric he uses to convince people of his position. First, it's probably wise to assume people gravitate more towards moderate positions, if you define marriage equality at one end, and a constitutional ban on SSM at the other, the moderate position is probably Obama's. The PROBLEM is that when you couch rhetoric such as he is within a framework of "equal rights" RATHER THAN presenting it as a STEP towards equal rights you're saying that with civil unions you're not moving in the direction of equality, you're claiming that if you go with civil unions you have NO NEED to go forward. The entire purpose of marriage equality is to make the case that marriage equality is the ultimate goal. Obama is undercutting that with his belief that we only need to give gays the legal rights and can withhold the title just from gays.

Which makes me repeat my question. Do you believe if some random state decided to take away marriage rights from blacks and interracial couples in favor of giving them only civil unions that Obama would support or oppose it and what rationale would he use?

Gaborn said:
As I said, McCain is bad for gay rights today, Obama is bad for gay rights tomorrow.

Other people are addressing the rest of this post, but you know what would really be bad for gay rights tomorrow? A theocratic Supreme Court, like the one McCain has pledged to appoint.

As I said in response to one of your previous posts on the subject, it's rather odd how judicial nominations tend to be ignored by gaybertarians and Log Cabin types trying to argue that the Democrats are as bad as (or worse than) the GOP on gay rights.

Haunted

So, I've been gone for the day - what's the consensus on Palin in the media?

Good pick, bad pick? Helping McCain gain votes in November or not? Or do we have to wait until after the VP debate for results on this.

Gaborn said:
Which makes me repeat my question. Do you believe if some random state decided to take away marriage rights from blacks and interracial couples in favor of giving them only civil unions that Obama would support or oppose it and what rationale would he use?

This is just a bizarre analogy. Obama's positions on DOMA and the CA amendment make clear that, at the very least, he will do nothing to take away marriage rights from anyone who's been granted them.

Gaborn

Father_Brain said:
Other people are addressing the rest of this post, but you know what would really be bad for gay rights tomorrow? A theocratic Supreme Court, like the one McCain has pledged to appoint.

As I said in response to one of your previous posts on the subject, it's rather odd how judicial nominations tend to be ignored by gaybertarians and Log Cabin types trying to argue that the Democrats are as bad as (or worse than) the GOP on gay rights.

I don't believe, ultimately that marriage equality will come through the court system.

Also, regarding DOMA and the CA marriage amendment - it's still ultimately threatening to support civil unions on the federal level because that gives states that aren't required to adopt marriage the incentive to stigmatize us like Obama wants to.

speculawyer said:
Is it just mere coincidence that both Cindy McCain and Sarah Palin are former beauty pageant winners? Does this reflect McCain's psychology at all?

I know . . . the rest of us are just sexist.
No, there's definitely a pattern here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html

She is McCain’s first wife, Carol, who was a famous beauty and a successful swimwear model when they married in 1965.

harSon

Banned
Gaborn said:
That's NOT what Obama thinks though, is it? See, I believe the danger in Obama on the issue is in part the rhetoric he uses to convince people of his position. First, it's probably wise to assume people gravitate more towards moderate positions, if you define marriage equality at one end, and a constitutional ban on SSM at the other, the moderate position is probably Obama's. The PROBLEM is that when you couch rhetoric such as he is within a framework of "equal rights" RATHER THAN presenting it as a STEP towards equal rights you're saying that with civil unions you're not moving in the direction of equality, you're claiming that if you go with civil unions you have NO NEED to go forward. The entire purpose of marriage equality is to make the case that marriage equality is the ultimate goal. Obama is undercutting that with his belief that we only need to give gays the legal rights and can withhold the title just from gays.

What kind of fucked up comparison is this? You're comparing the removal of rights with the giving of rights, they're not the same thing, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom