• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Where Do You Play Your Games? On Which Platforms?

Where Do You Play Your Games (which platforms)?

• Total voters

Superkewl

I own a xbox series X and a switch, but I havent played my switch in nearly a year. Not that I dont like the switch, just have a massive backlog on the xbox.

Fbh

Mostly Ps5 as I can't afford a PC right now.
Still, I mostly buy indie and lower scale games on PC since those I can run on a mobile 1050ti, and they are usually cheaper (and I want to start building a library for my eventual switch to PC)
And then maybe 2 or 3 games on Switch a year, mostly exclusives but it might also be the occasional indie that I think will be more enjoyable in portable format (like Balatro)

Mr Hyde

I have a PS5, PS3, Switch and PC. I game mostly on PS5 (and PS4 bc) and Switch, but PS3 is getting a lot of attention too. PC not so much, I use it mostly for emulation, Xbox games and indies and retro that doesn't appear on consoles. I'm mostly a console gamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
In order of most played
Switch
PC
PS5
XBX
SteamDeck
WII
PS2
Galaxy S9 tab
Mini Genesis
Mini SNES
Mini TG16
Mini PS1
Quest 2

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Poll is unclear. I currently play all my games on PC, but I do own a PS4, Switch and Xbox Series X as well, though I no longer play games on those at this time. Well, Switch very little...but mainly PC.

I mean if we're talking data here, OP needs to be more clear. You'd think 6 years woulda taught ya somethin

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Xbox and PC has me covered on 95% of everything released.

And 100% duplication.

Poll is unclear. I currently play all my games on PC, but I do own a PS4, Switch and Xbox Series X as well, though I no longer play games on those at this time. Well, Switch very little...but mainly PC.

I mean if we're talking data here, OP needs to be more clear. You'd think 6 years woulda taught ya somethin

Just vote PC & Switch then.

I think it's more to see what proportion of people only play on a single platform here.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
And 100% duplication.

Just vote PC & Switch then.

I think it's more to see what proportion of people only play on a single platform here.
Depends on the purpose of the poll and how the data will be interpreted. Somebody like myself who mainly plays on PC and Switch may look like I play on both to some equivalency. That's not the case. It also may erroneous see me as not owning any of the next gen consoles, also not true.

The way you can tell that this is not clear is by the further explanation many of us are providing. That represents an error in the presentation of the poll.

GHG

Gold Member
Depends on the purpose of the poll and how the data will be interpreted. Somebody like myself who mainly plays on PC and Switch may look like I play on both to some equivalency. That's not the case. It also may erroneous see me as not owning any of the next gen consoles, also not true.

The way you can tell that this is not clear is by the further explanation many of us are providing. That represents an error in the presentation of the poll.

The question is where do you play your games, but you're interpreting it as "what do you own".

Two very different things.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The question is where do you play your games, but you're interpreting it as "what do you own".

Two very different things.
I think I'm more saying I've played on PS4 a great deal and on Xbox Series X somewhat...but not recently. What I am asking is basically a range of dates. If we are saying "currently" does OP mean just today? Because if that's the case it would only be PC because I haven't played my Switch in months. But even you said I should put PC and Switch. That's why it's unclear.

If the poll's purpose is left to interpretation then you're welcoming misleading data.

OP could have said specifically "currently, as of the month of June 2024, where do you play your games". That would be more clear.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Lately the majority of my play time has been spent on XSX and PS5, but I also have a Switch OLED for Nintendo 1st party games, VNs, indies and some JRPGs.

Edit: I also have an older PC with XSX level specs, a PS3 and an Xbox One X, but I very rarely play on these, maybe on PC when I want to try some demos of games I want to later pick on console.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Poll missing option for PC, Xbox Series X|S and Switch. That's me

Oh you're right, I missed that one. I'll add it to the poll.

... You'd think 6 years woulda taught ya somethin

Not sure why you're confused by the question. When you play games, what hardware are you using? I didn't ask which systems you owned. I asked where you played your games. Seems like a pretty simple, straightforward question to me.

And don't be an ass, unless you want it returned.

Where is the PS5 only button?
Need a PS5 only option.

Just use the "PS4/5 only" option. As I explained in the OP, I had to collapse some categories because otherwise, the permutations would get out of hand.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Just use the "PS4/5 only" option. As I explained in the OP, I had to collapse some categories because otherwise, the permutations would get out of hand.
No Way GIF

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Oh you're right, I missed that one. I'll add it to the poll.

Not sure why you're confused by the question. When you play games, what hardware are you using? I didn't ask which systems you owned. I asked where you played your games. Seems like a pretty simple, straightforward question to me.

And don't be an ass, unless you want it returned.

So when you say currently and I haven't played my switch in about 2 months...technically that's not "currently"...though I haven't abandoned it. So would it be more accurate for the poll to include the Switch or no? The question is not confusing, the parameters of the poll is though. Currently could mean "right this second" or it could mean "within the past week"...so forth and so on. I'm just asklng for better specifics so I know what exactly you're asking for and so I don't muck up your data. I'm not being an ass.

I blame my background in empirical research honestly.

Last edited:

Humdinger

So when you say currently and I haven't played my switch in about 2 months...technically that's not "currently"...though I haven't abandoned it. So would it be more accurate for the poll to include the Switch or no? The question is not confusing, the parameters of the poll is though. Currently could mean "right this second" or it could mean "within the past week"...so forth and so on. I'm just asklng for better specifics so I know what exactly you're asking for and so I don't muck up your data. I'm not being an ass.

I blame my background in empirical research honestly.

Oh, okay. No problem. I have a little research training, too, although it's been a few decades...

To be honest, I didn't put a lot of thought into constructing the poll. I mean, this ain't Pew Research - it's just a damn GAF poll, lol. I just listed the options that came to mind. I had a brain fart when it came to Switch permutations. I suppose that's because when I think of gaming, the Switch is sort of an afterthought (sorry, Switch bros). Several people had to point out I had neglected those permutations. In my defense, I added most of those poll options quickly (within the first half hour, I think), and I notified the people who had posted about it. So, it shouldn't have affected the outcome too much.

As to your question about timeframe, I didn't have anything specific in mind. I used the present tense (where "do you play" vs. "where have you played"), so I figured people would know I meant current/recent play, not something historic (e.g., a game they booted up on the Sega Genesis 7 years ago). If you want a specific timeframe, though, how about over the past year? I added a note to the OP to clarify.

Last edited:

baphomet

95% PC

The remaining 5% split between PS5 and Switch. I do have a Series X, but it almost exclusively plays UHD's.

Pelao

I mainly play on PS5 and Series X, although I tend to buy third parties on Series X as they are cheaper for me due to regional pricing.
Although I use my Switch quite a lot, I literally only do it to play Mario Kart and some rhythm games. It's very rare that I buy anything new for it.

clarky

Gold Member
Changed my vote to PC only as ive not turned the others on more than a couple of times this past year.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Oh, okay. No problem. I have a little research training, too, although it's been a few decades...

To be honest, I didn't put a lot of thought into constructing the poll. I mean, this ain't Pew Research - it's just a damn GAF poll, lol. I just listed the options that came to mind. I had a brain fart when it came to Switch permutations. I suppose that's because when I think of gaming, the Switch is sort of an afterthought (sorry, Switch bros). Several people had to point out I had neglected those permutations. In my defense, I added most of those poll options quickly (within the first half hour, I think), and I notified the people who had posted about it. So, it shouldn't have affected the outcome too much.

As to your question about timeframe, I didn't have anything specific in mind. I used the present tense (where "do you play" vs. "where have you played"), so I figured people would know I meant current/recent play, not something historic (e.g., a game they booted up on the Sega Genesis 7 years ago). If you want a specific timeframe, though, how about over the past year? I added a note to the OP to clarify.
Appreciate this. I'll adjust my vote accordingly.

SyberWolf

PC(main platform and i play most xbox games on here too), PS5(exclusives), Switch(exclusives), i have a xbox series x too but it collects dust.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I’ve always been a one console guy. I don’t think I’d ever have the free time to thoroughly enjoy two consoles and I’d hate it if one remained unused collecting dust. Maybe It’s a minimalist thing or maybe it’s a byproduct of my childhood when my family didn’t have much money. Regardless, right now I’m solely in the PS5 camp. Curious about the next switch though.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I’ve always been a one console guy. I don’t think I’d ever have the free time to thoroughly enjoy two consoles and I’d hate it if one remained unused collecting dust. Maybe It’s a minimalist thing or maybe it’s a byproduct of my childhood when my family didn’t have much money. Regardless, right now I’m solely in the PS5 camp. Curious about the next switch though.

Same here. I'm a one-console guy, PS5. Through the years, I have occasionally bought a second console, but the same thing always happens. I play the second console for a while - a year, maybe - and then sell it. Two consoles is just one console too many, for me at least.

Here are the "one console/platform" figures from the poll so far:

Switch only - 2
Xbox only - 2
PS only - 27
PC only - 37

Last edited:

AGRacing

I just sold my PS5 and Series X to buy a Steam Deck OLED. LOVE that machine. I am living in emulation & nostalgia heaven.

This marks the FIRST time since I was 9 years old in 1989 that I didn’t care to own “the consoles” and didn’t own them. Hate where that whole experience is and where it’s going.

But my PC has a 7900 XTX.

I MAY buy a PS5 Pro if it exists for GTA 6 … depending on their PC release plans for it.

RickMasters

Yeah it’s a Thermaltake Tower 300, all white parts, with 7800X3D, Arctic Liquid Freezer III 420, 4080 Super, Samsung 990 Pro m.2
Swapped out the thermaltake case fans to extremely quiet Noctua PWM fans.

It’s certainly not a case you can hide, I call it an aquarium heh
Super satisfied though.

x060XAH.jpeg
Love this build. Giving me them storm trooper vibes👊🏿👌🏿

Last edited:

RickMasters

Mainly on Xbox but also game on my PCs ( mostly shmups and PS games on steam)

Anyways…. Here’s one of my builds… specifically my X299 build…. The main one…. Built it back in 2020. Only thing I’ve changed is the GPU last year. Still an absolute beast of a machine. I have Z390 and Z690 builds but this X299 is my main one and the daddy.
7aeF7Bm.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom