• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis calls for equal pay for women

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipode

Between this and climate change, I bet Boehner is seriously regretting inviting Francis to address the Senate.

http://time.com/3840049/pope-francis-equal-pay/

Pope Francis Calls for Equal Pay for Women and Men
Nolan Feeney @NolanFeeney 11:19 AM ET
He says gender-based pay disparities are "pure scandal"

Pope Francis expressed support for equal pay for men and women on Wednesday, calling income disparities “pure scandal.”

Speaking during his weekly general audience, Francis asked that Christians “become more demanding” about achieving gender equality, according to the National Catholic Reporter.

“Why is it expected that women must earn less than men?” he asked the crowd at St. Peter’s Square. “No! They have the same rights. The disparity is a pure scandal.”

The Pope emphasized that concern for women’s equality isn’t at odds with concern for declining marriage rates around the world, a shift he said Christians needed to reflect on “with great seriousness.”

“Many consider that the change occurring in these last decades may have been set in motion by women’s emancipation,” he said. But Francis called that idea “an insult” and “a form of chauvinism that always wants to control the woman.”

Razmos

So everyone can forget about some of his more backward views for a little bit longer, and then there will be more "I thought he was different!" posts.

OctoMan

Banned
Pretty sure the wage gap in modern countries only exists in fields in which women do not want jobs or are not allowed into...you know like the church.

massoluk

Banned
Awesome, that's the Pope Francis I knew and loved.
So you're gonna have a lot more female bishops and cardinals now, right?

Sephzilla

So everyone can forget about some of his more backward views for a little bit longer, and then there will be more "I thought he was different!" posts.

I think all of the people who are expecting him to be the Anti-Pope with his beliefs have their heads in the clouds a little bit. He's going to still have some stupid and backwards views on some things.

rambis

Banned
Awesome, that's the Pope Francis I knew and loved.
So you're gonna have a lot more female bishops and cardinals now, right?
Not sure what you're asking but he's the Pope, not a CEO. Churches elect their own leadership, he doesn't control personnel across every church.

I think all of the people who are expecting him to be the Anti-Pope with his beliefs have their heads in the clouds a little bit. He's going to still have some stupid and backwards views on some things.
Nobody's perfect, and nobody's totally forward thinking, not even the Popester.

Xyphie

0K3aqjr.png

typist

“No! They [women] have the same rights."

Women have the same rights, huh? Except when an imaginary friend from an old book says they were created to be intrinsically subordinate to men and are not allowed to occupy any position of authority in the church.

egruntz

shelaughz
Goes completely against what the Bible instructs, particularly in the case of ordained positions.

"But Deborah!"

But blah.

Purkake4

Banned
It's very convenient that the Vatican doesn't have to worry about the wage gap, eh? Speaking from the highest of horses.

bsp

When the supposed wage gap is broken down into men vs women in the exact same career, position, and hours worked, isn't the difference like 7%? Granted, there should be no difference at all, and apologies if I am mistaken.

Also, fuck the Pope.

EDIT: What I wrote is probably only applicable to the United States. Besides fuck the Pope.

Purkake4

Banned
When the supposed wage gap is broken down into men vs women in the exact same career and position, isn't the difference like 7%? Granted, there should be no difference at all, and apologies if I am mistaken.

Also, fuck the Pope.
It varies quite a bit from one country to the next (in EU at least).

mantidor

It's very convenient that the Vatican doesn't have to worry about the wage gap, eh? Speaking from the highest of horses.

In theory priests have no salary.

He did address this in some poll send to all his bishops around the world, like what was their view of ordaining women, gay people, etc, etc, as much as people want to be outraged he can't change a monolithic institution like the Carholic Church overnight, but he is taking the steps he can take to do so.

When the supposed wage gap is broken down into men vs women in the exact same career and position, isn't the difference like 7%? Granted, there should be no difference at all, and apologies if I am mistaken.

Also, fuck the Pope.
It varies depending on the country, but yes, it's smaller if you look at it that way.

However, you shouldn't really look at it that way. Or at least only that way. It's an important question to raise why women are in such a large part on fields that pay so much less. The answer isn't nearly as simple as "women and men are different".

Purkake4

Banned
In theory priests have no salary.

He did address this in some poll send to all his bishops around the world, like what was their view of ordaining women, gay people, etc, etc, as much as people want to be outraged he can't change a monolithic institution like the Carholic Church overnight, but he is taking the steps he can take to do so.
With no salary, my quip still works.

Obviously the church isn't going to change overnight, it's just a little hypocritical to call for things that you haven't implemented in your own little absolute monarchy. Plenty of other less hypocritical things to call for.

Bodacious

Banned
Pretty sure the wage gap in modern countries only exists in fields in which women do not want jobs or are not allowed into...you know like the church.

It's a quagmire. And by that I mean it's simple, but it's not. There are a lot of jobs where women's general (not individual ... there are some strong women in this world) physical weakness compared to men disqualifies them from certain work. I worked in a factory over the summers when I was in college - this was over 20 years ago. The factory made soda and beer cans. The "mechanic" job title paid nicely and was male dominated, and some women in the plant were in the process of getting their toe in the door of this better-paying job back then (vs. working the assembly line, which is where the majority of the female employees worked). After the union pressured the management to hire a few female applicants to the mechanic job, the new female mechanics started complaining immediately that there were certain tasks (heavy lifting, maintenance on the die presses) that went with the job that they couldn't do, and these tasks should be shifted off to another job title. For several weeks until that happened, the women mechanics were having male mechanics do it for them. Their request was fulfilled, and then all mechanics, male and female, took a pay cut because one of the more strenuous parts of their job had been put on another job title (those people got a raise). As soon as the mechanic position's higher pay became reduced, several of the women mechanics decided to go back to the much easier assembly line jobs. They basically wreaked havoc, then said never mind.

Now, you might think the response to this is that reality is reality and there are some jobs that require considerable physical strength and that any applicant, male or female, should be required to show the ability to perform the job and hiring should be made without considering gender. But the wily manager who wants to keep women out of certain higher paying positions will simply add a strenuous activity to the job description to rule them out, i.e. have a skilled job position also perform one janitor task, just to put a hurdle in there most women can't cross. This is sometimes obvious bullshit, sometimes not so much. In the scenario I witnessed in that factory in college, the hard work really did belong to the mechanic position, and it was really absurd to watch another employee come in and perform maintenance on the die presses while the mechanic stood and watched. I haven't worked there since the early 90's ... no idea how it all worked out.

notworksafe

"a form of chauvinism that always wants to control the woman.”
lol at this coming from the most powerful figure in the catholic church. how about you look in a damn mirror before popping off?

mantidor

With no salary, my quip still works.

Obviously the church isn't going to change overnight, it's just a little hypocritical to call for things that you haven't implemented in your own little absolute monarchy. Plenty of other less hypocritical things to call for.

Except that it is no monarchy. People have this idea that if the Pope ordered all priests to wear pink dresses they would do it, but that is not how it works, he only has authority in faith and morals.

FWIW, church jobs is the only field dominated by men that pays less than the national average.

It's a quagmire. And by that I mean it's simple, but it's not. There are a lot of jobs where women's general (not individual ... there are some strong women in this world) physical weakness compared to men disqualifies them from certain work. I worked in a factory over the summers when I was in college - this was over 20 years ago. The factory made soda and beer cans. The "mechanic" job title paid nicely and was male dominated, and some women in the plant were in the process of getting their toe in the door of this better-paying job back then (vs. working the assembly line, which is where the majority of the female employees worked). After the union pressured the management to hire a few female applicants to the mechanic job, the new female mechanics started complaining immediately that there were certain tasks (heavy lifting, maintenance on the die presses) that went with the job that they couldn't do, and these tasks should be shifted off to another job title. For several weeks until that happened, the women mechanics were having male mechanics do it for them. Their request was fulfilled, and then all mechanics, male and female, took a pay cut because one of the more strenuous parts of their job had been put on another job title (those people got a raise). As soon as the mechanic position's higher pay became reduced, several of the women mechanics decided to go back to the much easier assembly line jobs. They basically wreaked havoc, then said never mind.

Now, you might think the response to this is that reality is reality and there are some jobs that require considerable physical strength and that any applicant, male or female, should be required to show the ability to perform the job and hiring should be made without considering gender. But the wily manager who wants to keep women out of certain higher paying positions will simply add a strenuous activity to the job description to rule them out, i.e. have a skilled job position also perform one janitor task, just to put a hurdle in there most women can't cross. This is sometimes obvious bullshit, sometimes not so much. In the scenario I witnessed in that factory in college, the hard work really did belong to the mechanic position, and it was really absurd to watch another employee come in and perform maintenance on the die presses while the mechanic stood and watched. I haven't worked there since the early 90's ... no idea how it all worked out.

Great post!

Regiruler

Of course people are only going to echo viewpoints of his that they like, especially with lots of notes of "Not going to become catholic but good for him" etc etc.

It then feels immensely hollow when he confirms that he's not going to radically shift the church to appease these people and it becomes a usual echo chamber condemning the Holy Catholic Church. While you have every right to criticize, it's immensely predictable and boring.

On topic, what is the gender pay disparity in other countries? I'm curious how much of this message is aimed sqaurely at the United States, and how much of it is a global picture I'm overlooking.

Servbot24

Banned

He is different. For the church, he's remarkably with the times.

Obviously a very long ways to go. Hopefully the next pope is another step forward.

Does he have any power to change the doctrine of the Church in such a major way as to allow women to become bishops/Pope? Or would it be futile to even try and start that conversation?

mantidor

Does he have any power to change the doctrine of the Church in such a major way as to allow women to become bishops/Pope? Or would it be futile to even try and start that conversation?

He started it already, but the Church's ways come from Jesus and the Bible (or to be more accurate from the Church's interpretation of it), so only a council to address the issue would change it, councils are things that take years and are not simple, it's like doing an amend to the Constitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom