• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
Okay I know I haven't shared many good words about Madead but lemme just take a minute to dispel the [ l i e s ] about her best body of work Ray of Light.

Frozen the only great track? Please. Not even the best single on the album. That song is just a tad overrated sorriH. It consisting of 50% humming kind of makes it get old fast.

Anyway,

substitute for love - this flawless track serves celestial, one of my fave productions on the album. great intro

swim - probably the best madonna song that prominently features guitar. really chill vibe to it and has stellar verses (we can't carry these sins on our back)

ray of light - this is up there with the best madonna singles of all time. jusT pure euphoria. still manages to sound FRESH unlike most tracks from her overrated album Confessions. zephr in the sky at night I wonder do these tears of mourning sink beneath the sun

skin - probably the most experimental track Madonna has done. it's simplY great from start to finish. I will never get tired of this one. the intro production serves Forest Temple tbh I am just so here for it. up there with her best tracks. dat outro

sky fits heaven - another good song. this one isn't my favorite but has some great moments. the chorus is blissful and I live for the industrial moments in the verses

the POWER of goodbye - really just the most POWERful track on here. a classic madonna single too. one of the rare times she is able to communicate emotion

to have and not to hold - god I love this song. it isn't necessarily something special but it has this whole retro jaZzY French feel that just makes me quiver.

The other ones I didn't mention are lessors but still good. Honestly I genuinely believe there is not a single filler track on the album. And I cannot say that for any other Madonna album.

rhandino

Banned
WAIT!

I just read the OP (which is amazing, Soul-sis serving perfection as always) but I noticed the utter lack of Carly Allah Jesus, Tinashe, Charli XCX and Janet Jackson...

bo4pz59.gif

Meowster

Ray of Light is an almost perfect album. Sure, the critically acclaimed and chart-topping smash Frozen is almost completely forgotten worldwide but those young and old, but it is still fantastic. At least Ray of Light (single) is still being played on radio and at Walmarts and malls nation-wide.

Substitute for Love is the best song btw.

Hey boos, been a while though I've been quietly reading for months. I need suggestions for a stripper anthem--something that is undeniably seductive and sexual. I actually really like Christina Aguilera's Nasty Naughty Boy but it's a bit too burlesque-y, I would prefer something with a more current sound I think. I need it for.. reasons, lol. I'd be happy to explain in PM if anyone needs anymore explanation than that, but I think it's a fun discussion anyway.

Government Hooker is still my #1 stripper anthem but it's a little too Gaga to be used in practice I think.

Also wonderful job with the OP Soulscribe, you are one of my favorite posters! <3

B-Dex

Hey boos, been a while though I've been quietly reading for months. I need suggestions for a stripper anthem--something that is undeniably seductive and sexual. I actually really like Christina Aguilera's Nasty Naughty Boy but it's a bit too burlesque-y, I would prefer something with a more current sound I think. I need it for.. reasons, lol. I'd be happy to explain in PM if anyone needs anymore explanation than that, but I think it's a fun discussion anyway.

Government Hooker is still my #1 stripper anthem but it's a little too Gaga to be used in practice I think.

Also wonderful job with the OP Soulscribe, you are one of my favorite posters! <3

Nicole Scherzinger - Wet

Rihanna- Pour It Up
Lana Del Rey- Burning Desire

Current Madonna for me

Confession
Hung Up
Sorry
Jump
Get Together

Hard Candy
4 Minutes
Miles Away
Give it to me
Candy Shop
Incredible
Devil Wouldn't Recognize you

MDNA
Girls Gone Wild

Rebel Heart
Living for Love.... Is the only song I've heard so far.

Confessions > Hard Candy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MDNA and Rebel Heart

sorry > >> > > >>> >> > >>> get bland

sisters this is just the fact

Hell no. Plain wrong.

Sorry is good, Get Together is amazing. The moment the music kicks in at about 3/4th of the track after Madonna singing "if it's bitter at the start, than it's sweeter in the end" punches so hard. Also the album version has a nice lingering outro.

WAIT!

I just read the OP (which is amazing, Soul-sis serving perfection as always) but I noticed the utter lack of Carly Allah Jesus, Tinashe, Charli XCX and Janet Jackson...

bo4pz59.gif

I'll be adding more, I'm already working on it. I went with the most obvious matches in the OT though. :p

And thank you! <3

And to think I was just starting to tolerate Soulscribe.

i1GUwTpB7qOpb.gif

Lol you're such a rude bitch

Official Madonna Album Ranking

1. Ray of Light
2. Erotica
3. Like a Prayer
4. American Life
5. Confessions on a Dance Floor
6. Music
7. True Blue
8. Bedtime Stories
9. Madonna
10. Rebel Heart
11. Like a Virgin
12. Hard Candy
13. MDNA

And frankly I probably like Rebel Heart a lot more than most people.

It's better than MDNA and Hard Candy, but that's saying nothing really. I think it has a lot more of her personality in there, such a shame it's only an even listen in terms of how generally middling it is. Too much is "cute" but fails to be interesting. Maybe stuff would stand out more if you didn't have to sift through twenty-five tracks, but a lot of it fails to stick because the quality and themes are sort of on par.

I actually find S.E.X. objectionable not because of any ageist bullshit but because it's lyrically uninteresting and the rap is why.

The Pitchfork-acclaimed™ Bitch I'm Madonna >>>>>>

Living for Love, Iconic and Joan of Arc are the only other real standouts. Oh, and the Rebel Heart demo and Queen.

also I Really Like You is the best pop song released in the past year and anyone that disagrees is a pretentious cunt

Never thought I'd see someone rank American Life over Confessions though. What do you love about AL that places it ahead of Confessions?

Floridian

ROL cannot be replicated. The only criticisms I ever see for it are "ermahgerd it's boring" and therefore "overrated". She has some of her greatest tracks on it though, and was ahead of its time.

cory64

Official Madonna Album Ranking

1. Ray of Light
2. Erotica
3. Like a Prayer
4. American Life
5. Confessions on a Dance Floor
6. Music
7. True Blue
8. Bedtime Stories
9. Madonna
10. Rebel Heart
11. Like a Virgin
12. Hard Candy
13. MDNA
Well we both agree that AL > Confessions and Like A Virgin is a hot steaming pile.

1. Ray of Light
2. American Life
3. Erotica
4. Confessions on a Dance Floor
5. Music
6. Bedtime Stories
7. Madonna
8. Like A Prayer
9. True Blue
10. Like A Virgin
11. Rebel Heart
12. MDNA
13. Hard Candy

I only use Ray of Light and Confessions on a Dance Floor start to finish. They're both masterpieces.

From all the other albums I use bits and pieces making it hard to rank them.

Nemesis_

Ray of Light (the song) is
overrated
t b h

Leave it in the 90s

I totally agree. But I love the video for some reason. It's just so quintessentially 90s.

Never thought I'd see someone rank American Life over Confessions though. What do you love about AL that places it ahead of Confessions?

I don't like American Life more than Confessions but I think it's really cool the whole "angle" she went with it. And the way she carried that angle / vision through into the tours performances and motifs. That really was her at her peak. She was happier and married too

(Watch I'm Going To Tell You A Secret, she's like a completely different person ._.)

ROL cannot be replicated. The only criticisms I ever see for it are "ermahgerd it's boring" and therefore "overrated". She has some of her greatest tracks on it though, and was ahead of its time.

Yeah I totally agree. I would never call it boring though, just more subdued. And I really like that, it's almost like an entire album of ambient music. The production is truly sublime and the lows for me are less numerous than on Confessions so I think I enjoy it more. I hate Candy Perfume Girl.

The production is truly ethereal. It's the only time I use this word non-ironically. It's just got something to it that feels weird and magical

[/homo]

I listened to Confessions a lot more in the past because I found it an easier listen, but American Life really connected with me lately. It's really difficult to see why it's so maligned. It's far more consistent than Confessions, where although the quality is still incredibly high, I Love NY is just a teensy bit of a comedown after the initial four track euphoria, and How High is similarly a bit blah relatively speaking.

There's just something about the era that I've really gotten into. I find the lyrics to be really interesting, possibly because of the place she was at in her life, and for me they're only surpassed by RoL on the whole, even if individual songs exist on other albums which are of the same calibre. The musical style, very acoustic and guitar-driven with minimalistic electronic elements, almost feels like Music served as an interlude and transitional period between the two extremes of RoL and AL, which is something that can be seen in how the producers change. In quite a lot of ways the two albums are similar, because they're both quite introspective, but AL is far more concerned about the self in relation to the material world.

A lot of the songs on here deserve to be part of the widely recognised canon, especially Nothing Fails, and it's such a shame that nobody really appreciates it.

And Easy Ride is such an amazing closer, I can't believe it gets slept on so much. Only RoL (of course) has a better finish with Mer Girl.

cory64

I don't like American Life more than Confessions but I think it's really cool the whole "angle" she went with it. And the way she carried that angle / vision through into the tours performances and motifs. That really was her at her peak. She was happier and married too

(Watch I'm Going To Tell You A Secret, she's like a completely different person ._.)

It's weird to see her throw out quotes recently like

There were many times when I wanted to express myself as an artist in ways that I don't think my ex-husband felt comfortable with...There were times when I felt incarcerated. I wasn't really allowed to be myself.

When that's probably why she was so creatively successful during the marriage, because she hadn't had anyone in a managerial position like that in a while. But on a personal level, he probably wasn't the right match for her in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom