• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
Mau ®;159549448 said:
C'mon. Pretty much everybody refers to Uptown Funk as a Bruno song lmao

RT

I mean...

bKpn5n4.png

The buying public is here for Bruno Mars.

44bRYJU.gif

3phemeral

Her trademark Music Box-era weightiness and dark timbre in full display.

Also, get into Love Takes Time ha Thanksgiving Special realness.

HS_MariahDance_04.gif
Maybe I'm used to listening to that performance but that still sounds quintessentially Mariah with that pericing clarity on those belts. I legit did not recognize her timbre when that song was playing in the background, so it took me for surprised when I had to double check. I'm hoping to find more like it.

HS_MariahDance_04.gif

I think the closest her voice to sounding as dark was this definitive performance of America the Beautiful.

Maybe I'm used to listening to that performance but that still sounds quintessentially Mariah with that pericing clarity on those belts. I legit did not recognize her timbre when that song was playing in the background, so it took me for surprised when I had to double check. I'm hoping to find more like it.

HS_MariahDance_04.gif

I think the closest her voice to sounding as dark was this definitive performance of America the Beautiful.
The opening "OH-HO-LY" and parts of the opening verse are similarly pre-Charmbracelet dark and dusky.

I'm trying to think of more examples, but nothing much from her studio repertoire comes to mind.

3phemeral

The opening "OH-HO-LY" and parts of the opening verse are similarly pre-Charmbracelet dark and dusky.

I'm trying to think of more examples, but nothing much from her studio repertoire comes to mind.

For sure. O Holy Night is pretty close when she dips into those lower registers. The only thing that's blowing my mind is that I didn't even recognize her at all. I didn't know she could produce something that deep and gospel-y.

I think I might have to autoplay a bunch of her obscure live performances during that time period to probably find anything remotely close.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm new. So people still "stan" madonna in this day and age? Interesting. I'm just an observer. It's just interesting that someone would choose to put effort into "stanning" someone two decades past their prime. Not revering their classics but actually pretending their new shit has some worth, lol..

rude

Banned
I'm new. So people still "stan" madonna in this day and age? Interesting. I'm just an observer. It's just interesting that someone would choose to put effort into "stanning" someone two decades past their prime. Not revering their classics but actually pretending their new shit has some worth, lol..
It's really - tragic - isn't it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's really - tragic - isn't it?

well, to be fair, I respect that they had the courage to choose the advanced level difficulty version of pop-gaf where they're forced to pretend to like a senior citizen awkwardly trying to stay relevant.

Meowster

It's not like anyone in here was checking for MDNA (unless they just wanted to annoy GaGa stans lol).

3phemeral

album showcase is here

coming for your wigs

PercheD!

I thought it was cute although, the best-danced part of that routine was in that gif.

Get into Ghosttown, S.E.X., Inside Out, Rebel Heart, Holy Water, Best Night, Messiah.

Floridian

There's only a couple people here who stans for post-hard candy Madonna though. Her prime was ROL, which was about 17 years ago. It's the fact that Madonna is still making new music & doing performances without exactly fading in the background, which is why she's still being talked about.

well, to be fair, I respect that they had the courage to choose the advanced level difficulty version of pop-gaf where they're forced to pretend to like a senior citizen awkwardly trying to stay relevant.

Who, of the current crop of pop girls, do you suggest we stan? Who is "in their prime" right now? Who is giving us 1995 Madonna right now?

Here's a frame of reference from two decades ago:
  1. Madonna - Bedtime Story
  2. Madonna - Human Nature
  3. Madonna - You'll See
  4. Madonna - I Want You
Who is serving this type of musical diversity right now? Point me at her and I'll gladly stan.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
two decades ago, was was was...sorry I'm just focusing on the present...

stay in the past if that's where you feel comfortable.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Seriously, though, the 1980's were a good time. I respect her as a historical figure. I'd love to see her legacy presented in a museum somewhere.

Frodo

Yeah... The 80s... it feels like yesterday when was breaking records (Edit: her OWN record) for the highest grossing tour ever...

OH WAIT!

I have to give Momdonna her props for still being able to move like she does, especially after that fall at the Brit Awards.

This is usually what happens when the older Sistrens have a fall:

L6MAOfw.jpg

KORvQUw.jpg

3phemeral

It's both cringy and awesome at the same time. Also, I'm pretty sure Madead used Diplo's remix for this, and not the album version.

Btw, is it just me or is she promoting this album way harder than she did with MDNA?

Joan of Arc is growing on me. Halp

Joan of Arc is great. It's Madonna at her tender best. [edit] Rebel Heart is also in the same spirit if Joan of Arc is growing on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom