• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

Femme Fatale was a better album than Circus. So many good single choices. I still don't use that much but it was definitely enjoyable. Britney's Jeans was just terrible though.

Zutroy

She was the Pop princess of the 2000's no doubt. She was the center of pop culture back then too, but we're looking at the present, where she's not as impactful or relevant as she used to be. She'll be noted by the media as an icon definitely, but if her next album does similar performance as Britney Jean then it'll be clear that people just aren't checking for her anymore other than her loyal fan base.

In the her last two 'eras' she's had 2 numbers one, 2 number threes and 2 top tens. That's US charts, if you expand that worldwide the record is even better. Hardly irrelevant or a bad record.

I dunno why people are trying to stain her relevance because the numbers don't tell the same story. Her only true flop era was BJ, but that was nothing more than a promo album pushed out for her hugely successful residency and gave us Work Bitch.

Floridian

In the her last two 'eras' she's had 2 numbers one, 2 number threes and 2 top tens. That's US charts, if you expand that worldwide the record is even better. Hardly irrelevant or a bad record.

I dunno why people are trying to stain her relevance because the numbers don't tell the same story. Her only true flop era was BJ, but that was nothing more than a promo album pushed out for her hugely successful residency and gave us Work Bitch.

What do you mean by promo album? I never heard of that before, & if I recall correctly, Britney did little promo for BJ anyway. It seemed like she didn't really care at all for sales outside of Work Bitch recognition.

tbh how can any of you even come for Britney when she released Slay Bitch, the greatest motivational song that has ever graceT the internet tbfh.

WB-8.gif

Mau ®

She only had ONE number one and it was frontloaded. Hold It Against Me wasn't a legitimate hit in the way "Till The World Ends" or "Scream & Shout" were. It dropped out fast and was forgotten just as quickly.

Furthermore, HIAM sold 400k copies on launch. WB sold a third of that. The interest dropped dramatically in between those eras. Look at the numbers between FF and BJ. It's susbtantial. The touring revenue drop between Circus and Career Fatality Tour is clear. I mean her last real tour had to go with Groupons of 80% discount.

A successful residency only speaks on the fact that her hardcore AND casual fanbase is now economically active enough to a) Go to Vegas and b) Afford reservations and entertainment in Sin City (which is the REAL objective of the residency) for a proper amount of vacation time. It doesn't correlate to relevancy or chart potential.

Zutroy

What do you mean by promo album? I never heard of that before, & if I recall correctly, Britney did little promo for BJ anyway. It seemed like she didn't really care at all for sales outside of Work Bitch recognition.

I mean it was obvious that the creation and timing of the release of the album was used to bring attention to the residency. She only released two singles from the album - WB being the only one that got promo, Perfume was just popped on Vevo to keep the fans happy. She didn't perform a single televised performance of any track from BJ.

Mau ®;159527128 said:
She only had ONE number one and it was frontloaded. Hold It Against Me wasn't a legitimate hit in the way "Till The World Ends" or "Scream & Shout" were. It dropped out fast and was forgotten just as quickly.

Furthermore, HIAM sold 400k copies on launch. WB sold a third of that. The interest dropped dramatically in between those eras. Look at the numbers between FF and BJ. It's susbtantial. The touring revenue drop between Circus and Career Fatality Tour is clear. I mean her last real tour had to go with Groupons of 80% discount.

A successful residency only speaks on the fact that her hardcore AND casual fanbase is now economically active enough to a) Go to Vegas and b) Afford reservations and entertainment in Sin City (which is the REAL objective of the residency) for a proper amount of vacation time. It doesn't correlate to relevancy or chart potential.

She had her feature in S&M the same year that went to number one. Yeah it was mainly Rih's song, but it only managed to reach number one when it got the push from the Britney feature.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Ooops... I Did It Again, Britney, In The Zone & Blackout are my favorite albums from Britney Spears.

Britney Jean is just a tragedy. Let's not talk about it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Tragedy is a bit much, she seems to be doing ok these days.

will.i.am replaced Max Martin as the producer.

It's a damn tragedy, and the result shows.

Genuinely hope he returns for this one. I'm hoping she earns another number 1.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
you want a hot body?
you want a bugatti?
you want a maserati?
you better work bitch.

you want a lamborghini?
sipping martinis
look hot in a bikini?
you better work bitch.

you wanna live fancy?
live in a big mansion?
party in france?
you better work bitch
you better work bitch
you better work bitch

now get to work bitch!

ibc2P0aCTfehc3.gif

Mau ®;159533737 said:
I'll never understand the love for Work Bitch. It's just so blah.
It's amazing tbh. I LOATHED it at first, I thought it was trash and found it unlistenable. Then I actually listened to it properly and realised it was super catchy and the production is hype inducing tbh

royalan

Rihanna is ratchet as fuck and even calls herself that. Enough with the immature, I-just-took-my-first-Black-Studies-course faux-rage. Y'all actin like someone just called Michelle Obama ratchet.

This woman:

xcUTHf5.gif

Is ratchet personified

The Flop

Banned
Rihanna is ratchet as fuck and even calls herself that. Enough with the immature, I-just-took-my-first-Black-Studies-course faux-rage. Y'all actin like someone just called Michelle Obama ratchet.

This woman:

xcUTHf5.gif

Is ratchet personified

No lies spotted.

I still think R8tchet would be the best name for the alber.

But it'll probably be like

Rihanna "Tidal"

3phemeral

Work Bitch had such potential but she's become lazy with the delivery. What I loved about the tracks that I adore from prior Britney eras is her ability to embody the mood of the song e.g. Gimme More, Toxic, Showdown, Touch of My Hand. Hell, even From the Bottom of my Broken Heart. Work Biatch's musical phrasing and that desperate sing-along bridge both relegate it to meh status. Wasted potential.

Mau ®;159535774 said:
Uptown Funk has been discounted on Amazon. Other services will probably follow.

Snatch the record, King Bruno
clap2.gif

gdSdC7

Don't let them see you sweat.

rhandino

Banned
The sad thing about the "Uptown Funk" lead is that it blocked Ed Sheeran of that No. 1 he deserved

90s4Tev.gif

Listen "X" on Spotify T_T

The Flop

Banned
Mau ®;159535774 said:
Uptown Funk has been discounted on Amazon. Other services will probably follow.

Snatch the record, King Bruno
clap2.gif

Poor Mark Ronson, it's like he's not even associated with his song.

Bruno ha power.

tumblr_nmiurwIBFD1ql5yr7o1_r2_500.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i mean......the fact that mark ronson is one of the most famous producers in the world ............................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom