• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

Charli was having a meltdown the other day because her tour was getting bad reviews. She probably can't handle the pressure and that's why she's bailing tbh.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Charli was having a meltdown the other day because her tour was getting bad reviews. She probably can't handle the pressure and that's why she's bailing tbh.

Also she didn't like when people told her she didnt behaved or dressed lady like. She should learn to ignore that stuff.

llehuty

Rip Charli, Sucker was good, but now I'm more than ready for the Jpop album. I really hope that she is working with other people appart from Sophie.

I wouldn't call any of that amazing choreo BUT they're certainly putting in a lot more effort into their package than any modern pop girl over here. Seems run-of-the-mill and generic mishmash of some standard 90s US pop + pop and lock. There's nothing truly iconic or impressive there. BOA is still the best natural-looking dancer bar none, while the rest seem to just be doing their best to emulate pop-locking dancers. BOA has both rhythm, clean form, and doesn't look like a robot who's been programmed since birth to entertain. A shame she didn't become popular over here.

Well, when they are part of groups with 6+ members, if they aren't sharp and robotic is going to look like a mess. But I'm definitely interested in seeing some of that "standard 90s US pop" choreo (I'm thinking of Back Street Boys and NSync choreo, and that's basic as fuck).

I must say that kpop choreo has progressed really fast in the last 5 years or so, and now is more common seeing theatrical/modern performances, outside of the box formats and new groups pushing the limits a bit.

You could not pay enough money to any of your faves (not named Beyonce or Janet Jackson or early Britney) to do 10 seconds of any of those choreos.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Gaga filming American Horror Story

0zxXHtx.jpg

Slay queen
g2YBkV0.png

I might actually have to watch this garbage show this season

Charli dropped out from her own tour cause she wants to work on her new album and is tired of touring.
Dear angels, friends and fans.

Damn.. are her fans pissed? Anyway yeah I kinda want her to move on from the punk-pop stuff and try something else. Sucker was okay but I never go back to it like I do with True Romance.

I put the radio on, hold you tight in my mind
Isn't strange that you're not here with me
But I'm putting all the lights on in the television
Trying to transmit, can you hear me?
Ground control to Major Tom
Can you hear me all night long?

giphy.gif

I put the radio on, hold you tight in my mind
Isn't strange that you're not here with me
But I'm putting all the lights on in the television
Trying to transmit, can you hear me?
Can you hear me all night long?

Lana her homage to Bowie is the only redeemable thing about this trash.

rhandino

Banned
Good luck to her rumored jpop era. I'm sure people will be here for that too.
People has been here for her so let's simply noT.

I mean, she is like the only good and memorable parts of Fancy and Doing It BUT it's just that her solo efforts are not as successful as Boom Clap and/or Break the Rules. My theories for that: 1) Her music is not that radio friendly or 2) Divine punishment for not include SuperLove in Sucker =P

3phemeral

But I'm definitely interested in seeing some of that "standard 90s US pop" choreo (I'm thinking of Back Street Boys and NSync choreo, and that's basic as fuck).

You answered your own question. Janet, early Britney, Ciara, Aaliyah were all the standard go-to dancers. And being a 6-member group has little to do with being robotic. I'm using robotic as "going through the motions." Compare them to backup dancers who are also synchronized but still have their own style and don't distract from the whole:

https://youtu.be/6yX8ZXA6qB8?t=1m35s

All of them aren't even doing the in the same way, but they add their own twist and it still works. Additionally, the reason why all the aforementioned artists were the standard is because they were often as good as or better than the professional backup dancers. With the exception of BOA, none of those artists really have that same gift. So it's both lack of standing out and just meh choreography.

I must say that kpop choreo has progressed really fast in the last 5 years or so, and now is more common seeing theatrical/modern performances,
Which is cool they've diverted from what they've formulated in Kpop for decades now, right? Nothing out of the ordinary for artists like Janet or Shakira or even Ciara.

Really not seeing what's so special abut the choreography in the first video other than the creative staging in the intro. After that, it's standard/devolves into pattern again. And for the second video, are you referring to more explicitly sexual dance routines?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Good luck to her rumored jpop era. I'm sure people will be here for that too.

People has been here for her so let's simply noT.

I mean, she is like the only good and memorable parts of Fancy and Black Widow BUT it's just that her solo efforts are not as successful as Boom Clap and/or Break the Rules. My theories for that: 1) Her music is not that radio friendly or 2) Divine punishment for not include SuperLove in Sucker =P

Is the Jpop Charli rumor for real? I love Jpop, I'd so be here for that. I like Charli but not a fan of the punk style thing she's got going atm.

If she does go Jpop let's pray it's nothing like Avril Lavigne's racist mess of a Hello Kitty video

DgFO6Ba.jpg

llehuty

Repsen's album is so good. Bless this community.

You answered your own question. Janet, early Britney, Ciara, Aaliyah were all the standard go-to dancers. And being a 6-member group has little to do with being robotic. I'm using robotic as "going through the motions." Compare them to backup dancers who are also synchronized but still have their own style and don't distract from the whole:

https://youtu.be/6yX8ZXA6qB8?t=1m35s

All of them aren't even doing the in the same way, but they add their own twist and it still works. Additionally, the reason why all the aforementioned artists were the standard is because they were often as good as or better than the professional backup dancers. With the exception of BOA, none of those artists really have that same gift. So it's both lack of standing out and just meh choreography.

Which is cool they've diverted from what they've formulated in Kpop for decades now, right? Nothing out of the ordinary for artists like Janet or Shakira or even Ciara.

Really not seeing what's so special abut the choreography in the first video other than the creative staging in the intro. After that, it's standard/devolves into pattern again. And for the second video, are you referring to more explicitly sexual dance routines?

Hmmm, I get what you are saying. BoA is next level, I agree. There is really not any other solo artist in korea that can even touch her, and the ones that could, are just flopping all over the place (RIP Kahi). I wonder if k-pop will follow the western pop progresssiong and end up dropping the focus in choreo eventually (I hope not, it's one of the best parts of the genre).

I still think that big group choreo needs to be inevitably robotic for certain types of styles with precise and sharp movements. Showing personality only works if the group is full of good dancers, which is not the case, since they need to fill the quotas of singers and add one or two "visuals".

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Gags has fallen into complete disuse for me. I skip everything of hers when it comes on, from every era
She's still my fave but atm the excitement for her has gone. No doubt she'll enter rotation when AHS come along (and new music?)

Frodo

Wait! Is Rae Jepsen only releasing Emotion in the UK on the freaking 25th of September?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

It will be completely fizzled out by then.

Considering it came out like 2 days ago and it's already fizzled out, I imagine it'll be a distant memory by then. RIP.

In other news, Cool for the Summer is finally up on UK Spotify. Only a month or two late :)

Frodo

Considering it came out like 2 days ago and it's already fizzled out, I imagine it'll be a distant memory by then. RIP.

In other news, Cool for the Summer is finally up on UK Spotify. Only a month or two late :)

It's out on Google too!

Now that I'm tired of it.

Edit: why are labels still insisting on those staggered releases across the world? It doesn't make any sense nowadays. The album has been out on the internet for anyone to download or listen since June. it used to make sense when people couldn't get their hands on the music unless it was officially released, so artists would trvael and promo the album in different regions at different times, since they can't be everywhere at the very same time. ut nowadays with internet you can promo it instantly for the whole world. It is not television or radio or anything, but you can. And, also, I doubt she was promoting the albern in Japan since June and went back to the US last week and is going to the UK in September. It is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom