• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_inline_mny734u3WC1qz4rgp.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
hmm gives me california girls 2.0
but will it be better?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
kiii it even looks like theyve got perra driving the car

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Marina complains about gay pandering artists
marinaandthediamonds-htbbah.jpg

The album really resonates with me in a way that I think will also resonate with a lot of people in the LGBT community.

A lot of the reason I think I have a gay fan base is because a lot of the themes, and the core of the songs, are usually stemming from something to do with identity or acceptance. I know that I always felt like that and I don't anymore. "FROOT" definitely focuses on that, but I suppose, yeah, it is a lot about letting go of certain things. Anyone who feels rejection, prejudice or discrimination in some way would connect to that.

When we spoke in 2012, you were reluctant to gush too much about your gay fan base. At the time you said, "I don't want to be a cliche pop star saying, 'I love my gays!'" When does talking about one's gay fan base become a cliche?

It's not that it's a cliche - it's more that, perhaps, I was cynical about it. I felt that people in pop use that to express themselves in that way for calculated means because they know the gay fan base is extremely loyal and extremely expressive and is a tastemaker demographic. You know what I mean? It's like, "Oh, god." It's insulting to both sides.

I kind of feel the same way now, because, yeah, of course I have a really strong gay fan base, and the fact is that it is a really enjoyable factor for me to have a really strong demographic because it makes the shows a lot more fun, for one, and because they are really expressive. But all types of people should be appreciated. I'm sure the gays would back me up on that! (Laughs)

Do you think the appreciation of one's following can morph into pandering?

On Twitter, I don't really like it when I see loads of messages from an artist saying (talks in baby voice) "I love you guys! I love you guys! I love you guys!" because I don't think there's any kind of intelligence in that. Also, how can you be genuine and say that so many times? Maybe that's when it becomes pandering, when you're dumbing down your fan base.

Bitch please.

Where is it though? Considering Sucker only had 2-3 usable tracks.

b0B21Im.gif

Metacritic says otherwise.

Marina says some really dumb shit sometimes lmao

Like the other day she was trying to talk about Savages and ended up saying something along the lines of "rape is just something that happens"

Obviously she was trying to say that it's something that needs to be addressed by society rather than just slamming penalties on those who do it (i.e. teaching people not to rape AND slamming penalties on people) but the way she worded it was terrible.

Vazra

The gays are the only reason why Marina has had any kind of success tbh

The thing is that she is agreeing on acceptance to the gay audience but pandering as wrong and critiquing other artists for doing it when her ass was doing exactly that shit on her previous album. She'll probably use the excuse that the Electra Heart era was a fake persona or experiment in order to cover up the shit she says now.

Floridian

Metacritic says otherwise.

Oh now we're using the metacritic card now. I thought people here were against using that. And @ the shift to Marina, whatever she's doing is working out for her in terms of releasing higher quality music & selling more than Charli atm. Marina needs to be careful though of calling out that percentage of her fanbase before it bites her in the end.

Mess, Sucker has more more usable tracks than Ora and The New Classic.

But she is an idiot for not including SuperLove in the album =/

True but i'm not defending Igloo nor Oral within my statements.

Meowster

I don't like either Britney Spears (talentless fad) or Iggy Azalea (talentless fad) but they might come up with something nice. They both look great. It is odd to me, though, that Iggy Azalea's music videos are better than what all the other mainstream pop stars are releasing.

Vazra

Oh now we're using the metacritic card now. I thought people here were against using that. And @ the shift to Marina, whatever she's doing is working out for her in terms of releasing higher quality music & selling more than Charli atm. Marina needs to be careful though of calling out that percentage of her fanbase before it bites her in the end.

Sucker: 75
Froot: 76

So much higher! But keep trying boo

Frodo

Did Marina lie, though? Even if she might have done just the same.

I'm not going to point to anyone, but you can see that some artists singers people were clearly targeting the demographic in a completely fabricated way. It does seem pandering and silly.

Matt_

I don't like either Britney Spears (talentless fad) or Iggy Azalea (talentless fad) but they might come up with something nice. They both look great. It is odd to me, though, that Iggy Azalea's music videos are better than what all the other mainstream pop stars are releasing.

Britney Spears a talentless fad
Miss Britney's performance skills put EVERY OTHER pop girl bar beyonce to damn fucking shame. She has a beautiful voice and while she may not be what she once was she was an OUTSTANDING entertainer up there with the very best of all time.
is3QkfXWEQt9l.gif

as for iggy you told no lies, including the bit about the videos
pop girls have been slacking of recent and have only been able to muster boring indie to tacky.
Gaga needs to come back and serve us some true ART

Did Marina lie, though? Even if she might have done just the same.

I'm not going to point to anyone, but you can see that some artists singers people were clearly targeting the demographic in a completely fabricated way. It does seem pandering and silly.

Drag Katy Perry.

4r8eX1E.gif

Matt_

Also I hope Paul Walker's family are getting a cut of that wiz khalifa song because talk about exploitation

Meowster

Britney Spears a talentless fad
Miss Britney's performance skills put EVERY OTHER pop girl bar beyonce to damn fucking shame. She has a beautiful voice and while she may not be what she once was she was an OUTSTANDING entertainer up there with the very best of all time.
is3QkfXWEQt9l.gif

as for iggy you told no lies, including the bit about the videos
pop girls have been slacking of recent and have only been able to muster boring indie to tacky.
Gaga needs to come back and serve us some true ART
She was on top of the game with her first two albums (three, maybe, because I like Britney) but her performances are always kinda meh (especially the one at the Grammys). She's a pretty and sweet woman who just seems trapped and lost. She has great music videos and the singles from her first two albums are staples.

Vazra

Britney danced her ass off and was energetic on her performances to points no one could compete against her at that time. Obviously she is just a empty shell of her former self but respect the historic facts.

rude

Banned
During their respective peaks, Britney was a much better dancer than Mafloppa. Sorry bout it. The confessions tour did admittedly have great choreo though, so I can see why somebody would confuse that for Madonna actually having dancing ability.

rhandino

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom