• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flop

Banned
The record is toast, accept it.

G1ZxG2t.gif

I think Brits record is safe tbh for pure sales, but with sales and streaming she will get wrecked like Kevin Federline with a strap on.

Touchdown

Banned
Whew. Adele came with 25. It's everything. Yes the lyrics in some of the songs are a little basic but as a whole, it delivers so hard.

tumblr_mm8jnzYt4A1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The thirst in here for Adele to fall. The album is great, stay pressed.

Divine Creation tier:
Hello
I Miss You
Love In The Dark
River Lea

Still better than our faves tier:
When We Were Young
Sweetest Devotion
Water Under The Bridge

Pretty fucking good tier:
Send My love
Million Years

A Ballad too many tier:
All I Ask
Remedy

Frodo

I'll wait until tomorrow for Adele. Not in the mood for downloading stuff.

Also, these people should drop their albunrs as soon as they leak, better get on those streams than to have people pirating it and not getting a pence out of it.

It's Thursday... It's throwback time!
Hi all! First time doing this so be gentle ;)
I thought it would be nice to have a little throwback into the past with some classic pop anthems/albums that have impacted music to this day. It can be anything that still sounds just as it did when you first heard it...

Since its my first time and I'm a GaGa stan, I thought i'd do this feature on one of the first albums I ever bought and has stayed with me to this day!

THE FAME - LADY GAGA

Lady_Gaga_%E2%80%93_The_Fame_album_cover.png

Released: August 19, 2008 (Recorded 06-08)
Genre: Pop
Length: 50:20
Label: Interscope, Streamline

Wow. where do I begin with this masterpiece? This album is possibly my favourite debut album with its perfect synthpop sound. The first time I heard Just Dance was when I remembered that Lady Gaga is here to stay... Especially when Poker Face came about...
My first impression of Gaga was her music, not her costumes which a lot of people judge her on. Even when she was new, she was wearing clothes that seemed a bit different but was more tamed than what she would wear later.

My biggest appeal for Gaga was that she was reckless, different and full of energy! You would expect a pop artist' debut to be bubblegum pop... Not for Gaga in my view. This was music that would be played in the clubs etc. and that worked well in her favour for 'Just Dance' and 'Poker Face'.

SINGLES

1. Just Dance, April 8, 2008
2. Poker Face, Sept 23, 2008
3. Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say), Jan 10, 2009
4. LoveGame, March 24, 2009
5. Paparazzi, July 6, 2009

I think Gaga picked the right first two singles to introduce herself to the general public. Just Dance and Poker Face were amazing pop songs which any artist would die to have! Poker Face is her best song from this album with its robotic hook, catchy chorus and spoken middle-8. Perfect. However, I would argue that for the third single she should have released 'The Fame' it would have been a hit with its catchy chorus instead of Eh, Eh. LoveGame is ICONIC! SLAY! Paparazzi is the song, alongside its VMA performance, that really shot Gaga to stardom and made her a player!
It would have been nice to follow 'paparazzi' up with 'Boys, Boys, Boys' as the sixth and final single off The Fame and delay Bad Romance to 2010... but oh well!

I'm not going to mention the Charts and Awards this album slayed with because you should all know that by now!

Listening to this album today really proves how timeless this classic is. It introduced me to Gaga, was my first album and I never looked back. Whenever I'm feeling down I think about how old this planet is and am glad to be alive when Gaga is!

What album/song is your personal throwback anthem this week? SHARE WITH US!

Meowster

While everyone and their mother is going to be buying Adele Dion's newest album, I'll be rushing in line to pick up Dark Sky Island by Enya. <3

royalan

I thought it would be nice to have a little throwback into the past with some classic pop anthems/albums that have impacted music to this day. It can be anything that still sounds just as it did when you first heard it...

Since its my first time and I'm a GaGa stan, I thought i'd do this feature on one of the first albums I ever bought and has stayed with me to this day!

THE FAME - LADY GAGA

Wow. where do I begin with this masterpiece? This album is possibly my favourite debut album with its perfect synthpop sound. The first time I heard Just Dance was when I remembered that Lady Gaga is here to stay... Especially when Poker Face came about...
My first impression of Gaga was her music, not her costumes which a lot of people judge her on. Even when she was new, she was wearing clothes that seemed a bit different but was more tamed than what she would wear later.

My biggest appeal for Gaga was that she was reckless, different and full of energy! You would expect a pop artist' debut to be bubblegum pop... Not for Gaga in my view. This was music that would be played in the clubs etc. and that worked well in her favour for 'Just Dance' and 'Poker Face'.

SINGLES

I think Gaga picked the right first two singles to introduce herself to the general public. Just Dance and Poker Face were amazing pop songs which any artist would die to have! Poker Face is her best song from this album with its robotic hook, catchy chorus and spoken middle-8. Perfect. However, I would argue that for the third single she should have released 'The Fame' it would have been a hit with its catchy chorus instead of Eh, Eh. LoveGame is ICONIC! SLAY! Paparazzi is the song, alongside its VMA performance, that really shot Gaga to stardom and made her a player!
It would have been nice to follow 'paparazzi' up with 'Boys, Boys, Boys' as the sixth and final single off The Fame and delay Bad Romance to 2010... but oh well!

I'm not going to mention the Charts and Awards this album slayed with because you should all know that by now!

Listening to this album today really proves how timeless this classic is. It introduced me to Gaga, was my first album and I never looked back. Whenever I'm feeling down I think about how old this planet is and am glad to be alive when Gaga is!

Wonderful post.

Bless Gaga's iconic debut and not-quite-as-good-but-still-good follow-up.

Adele currently 71 on metacritic with 5 reviews. What happened to the big acclaim?

Adele is in the second act of her imperial phase, whereby she will retain massive commercial success this album cycle but be judged with higher standards critically. The end of this second act will either have her sour the masses with her overexposure, or if she plays her cards right, maintains her clout and then takes a long ass break again.

cory64

Adele is in the second act of her imperial phase, whereby she will retain massive commercial success this album cycle but be judged with higher standards critically. The end of this second act will either have her sour the masses with her overexposure, or if she plays her cards right, maintains her clout and then takes a long ass break again.
Stop trying to defend Born This Way.

Frodo

THE FAME - LADY GAGA

SINGLES

Listening to this in 2008 was great!
I'm not a fan of a few of the songs, but overall it is a very consistent album. It was so fun to watch the change going from "Hey, have you ever heard of Lady Gaga?" followed by a "Lady what?" when this first released, to the massive stardom a year or so later when she was everywhere. Undeniably Gaga's best effort so far. I still use Again Again.

I used to like Gaga when she was more about the music than about shocking people with her style. She somehow got diluted during the process and, I think everyone would agree, she also overdid that to the point that people stop caring about her. Then the pretentiousness of [ REDACTED ] and she failing hard to deliver what she promised, and why not mention, how annoying her infant/teenager fans were (are?), and that was a recipe for me to stop caring at all about her. I'll be open for LG5, but I can't say I'm perched or care whatever it's good or bad.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I want very single piece of you,
I want your heaven and your oceans too,
Treat me soft but touch me cruel,
I wanna teach you thing you never knew

Bring the floor up to my knees
let me fall into your gravity
then kiss me back to life to see
your body standing over me

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26951-1359141720-11.gif

Listening to this in 2008 was great!
I'm not a fan of a few of the songs, but overall it is a very consistent album. It was so fun to watch the change going from "Hey, have you ever heard of Lady Gaga?" followed by a "Lady what?" when this first released, to the massive stardom a year or so later when she was everywhere. Undeniably Gaga's best effort so far. I still use Again Again.

I used to like Gaga when she was more about the music than about shocking people with her style. She somehow got diluted during the process and, I think everyone would agree, she also overdid that to the point that people stop caring about her. Then the pretentiousness of [ REDACTED ] and she failing hard to deliver what she promised, and why not mention, how annoying her infant/teenager fans were (are?), and that was a recipe for me to stop caring at all about her. I'll be open for LG5, but I can't say I'm perched or care whatever it's good or bad.

I do agree with you about that. Especially in the ARTPOP era she overdid it think... She needed a longer break between The Fame Monster and Born This Way...

But she seems to have reinvented herself, so who knows how LG5 will be ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom