• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
XvQ3uBw.jpg
In your honor sphincter.

Album out in May 20.

Floridian

Honey, I wouldn't even call Gaga a great artist, and she can actually sing. Not to mention, she actually has considerable involvement in other aspects of her music. I love her, but she isn't a great artist. At least she hasn't proven herself to be yet. Let's not be delusional.

80Ae1Fa.gif

Idk, I'd call both Gaga & Rih great music artists. Just gonna have to agree to disagree. I will say though that Rih was plenty involved in her latest album.

80Ae1Fa.gif

Floridian

your other claim was merely confused, but this one has swerved hard left into plain [ d e l u s i o n ]

There's not one song on Beyonce as good as KIB. There's not one song on ANTI as bad as Pretty Hurts. Sorry your feelings are triggered over my opinions. I guess you'll have to pull out the metacritic card as your last resort. *shudders*

There's not one song on Beyonce as good as KIB. There's not one song on ANTI as bad as Pretty Hurts. Sorry your feelings are triggered over my opinions. I guess you'll have to pull out the metacritic card as your last resort. *shudders*

I mean out of all the ANTi songs, you chose Kiss It Better as the pinnacle?

Hermana...

80Ae1Fa.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mixed opinions on favorite songs isn't a bad thing for an album. It's nothing mixed (in a negative manner) like ARTPOP was critically.

xMcLZmB.gif

are you sure you want to bring up critical opinion when you're discussing whether anti or BEYONCÉ is a better alber?

xMcLZmB.gif

Floridian

are you sure you want to bring up critical opinion when you're discussing whether anti or BEYONCÉ is a better alber?

xMcLZmB.gif

What are you basing "critical opinion" on? Metacritic or awards? Because with MC, everyone knows that ANTI had early biased reviews against it, but it still came on top & above the popular 61 crew, and with Awards, BEYONCÉ doesn't really have anything to show for it (Grammys pretty much said No to it despite being "game-changing" & "best-selling"), It did make a few year end lists though, meanwhile it's a bit too early to predict ANTI's placement on the year-end scale & any future awards. This is more of a subjective thing (and taste) on what you think is better.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What are you basing "critical opinion" on? Metacritic or awards? Because with MC, everyone knows that ANTI had early biased reviews against it, but it still came on top & above the popular 61 crew, and with Awards, BEYONCÉ doesn't really have anything to show for it (Grammys pretty much said No to it despite being "game-changing" & "best-selling"), It did make a few year end lists though, meanwhile it's a bit too early to predict ANTI's placement on the year-end scale & any future awards. This is more of a subjective thing (and taste) on what you think is better.

what are you basing your critical opinion on? clearly if you think anti is better than BEYONCÉ it's not based on applying your critical skills to accurately heard audio from your auditory receptors, so i'm just wondering what else it could be.

xMcLZmB.gif

Floridian

As if the GrammysSoWhite means anything anymore.

xMcLZmB.gif

Well after this year, yeah, but last year, we can't really use that considering that Beyonce lost to another poc in a genre category, so it wasn't like she was going to win AOTY anyway when the same nominee she lost against was also nominated in that same main category. We'll never know if she was 3rd, 4th, or 5th in that running.

what are you basing your critical opinion on? clearly if you think anti is better than BEYONCÉ it's not based on applying your critical skills to accurately heard audio from your auditory receptors, so i'm just wondering what else it could be.
What does this even mean? This is pop music we're talking about here. There's nothing complex about this.

That Brit Awards tribute to Bowie... no cheap tricks, no cosplaying bowie. The empty spotlight with no lead vocals to start was beautiful. Lorde did a good job of coming out and just singing without promoting herself.

It's gross how that other lady was using Bowie's death to revive her career.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That Brit Awards tribute to Bowie... no cheap tricks, no cosplaying bowie. The empty spotlight with no lead vocals to start was beautiful. Lorde did a good job of coming out and just singing without promoting herself.

It's gross how that other lady was using Bowie's death to revive her career.

i agree tbh, gaga felt frenetic and shallow, but the empty spot at the mic brought tears to the eyes

Frodo

In your honor sphincter.

Album out in May 20.

What is up with 5th Hew and the heavily compressed pictures? I don't get it, it's like, every. single. picture of them plister03 (R.I.P. in peace) posted here, and even this album cover Bayonetta sis posted is pure jpeg artifact.

dvgg.jpeg

Joe Biden's introducing Gaga at the Oscars. Truly the queen of booking vice presidents for televised events :3

Man Pretty Hurts is a beautiful song. Honestly the weakest songs on BEYONCE (to me) are Heaven and Blue, but they serve their emotional purpose very well, which I guess makes them a success.

Where I think BEYONCE shines and ANTi doesn't is that the former commands a storyline, or at least a concept flow, in an incredibly fluid way. I read it as the trek of a manicured, manufactured pop singer who's emancipating herself, embracing her heritage, womanhood, flaws and quirks, etc. It then culminates in her passing those lessons on to her child. It's a gorgeous thematic flow, but it's concise and it's polished.

The reasons I love ANTi are similar to the reasons I love BEYONCE, mostly in that it isn't afraid to deconstruct the superstar and the artifice. It's similar to how I felt about Miley's latest album, which is why I'm one of maybe two people in here that liked it. All three albums are honest works. But ANTi lacks the punch of BEYONCE because its purpose lacks some clarity. Beyonce's album freed her creatively. ANTi was flirting with that idea but it doesn't make as clear and defined a statement to the point where Rihanna herself is elevated artistically. She can very well release a new Loud or GGGB after this and there would be no dissonance. Meanwhile, Beyonce released Formation which was a natural progression for her musically, but if she released another Dangerously In Love album people would be like "... what happened?"

What is up with 5th Hew and the heavily compressed pictures? I don't get it, it's like, every. single. picture of them plister03 (R.I.P. in peace) posted here, and even this album cover Bayonetta sis posted is pure jpeg artifact.

dvgg.jpeg

They're so irrelevant they only get dilettante photographers who can't figure out what PNG is.

MrV4ltor

WaiT, Fifth 7/27 Harmony is their second album? They already had a full era?
ukzyP.gif

The real question is if anyone's found out what the 2nd alberm is actually called lol

cory64

Yes because songs like Pretty Hurts, Flawless remix, DrIL, & XO sure served "artistry". ANTI is the better album anyway.
FIRST OFF, DrIL and Flawless ft Nicki are pure art

Bevince is about 10% better than ANTI overall, but it doesn't have a Work or Yeah I Said It or Needed Me

Mau ®;196644857 said:
Not "Work" being the song with the most increase after the BRITS. :ahh:

I guess brits are easily impressed, huh?

Well it's a great song, even though she was serving the short-winded drunk karaoke version on stage. They were probably curious about what the actual song was supposed to sound like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom