• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

Um, as stupidly brilliant as Venus is (I lost my shit at first listen), you can't really shade GUY or DWUW, those are standouts within her whole portfolio, let alone the album.

History will be kinder to ARPTOP. The Majora's Mask of Gaga's discography

Umm, if anything, ARTPOP is the Skyward Sword. BTW is Majora's Mask & TFM is the Ocarina of Time of her discrography.

rhandino

Banned
Bye, Artpop is totally the Twilight Princess in Gaga career...

KjdWLV3.gif

3phemeral

Venus is great but that "Don't you know my ass is famous" is so extra. G.U.Y's. chorus is so damned weak, it's forever relegated to never-play status. Artpop is a mix of great ideas with lazy polish. The held-back iTunes Festival versions slay everything else on that album.

Wiq8J7

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ARTPOP is Skyward Sword because it has great ideas but they all end up being tragic

Motion control combat was not a good idea and you know it was a fad. Still accurate that ARTPOOP is Skyward Sword cause it tried making changes to the formula but ended u failing at it cause it was following the edm fad that happened in 2011 and 2012

Motion control combat was not a good idea and you know it was a fad. Still accurate that ARTPOOP is Skyward Sword cause it tried making changes to the formula but ended u failing at it cause it was following the edm fad that happened in 2011 and 2012
tbh i doubt ill ever finish Skyward Sword because of the motion controls. They're so annoying and make the game a chore

Koodo

Banned
Excuse me at how Selena punched everyone's bussy with the artistry of her album covers. The actual confidence.

It's a serviceable album too. The title track is amazing.

hmm... little off topic but when and or how did any of you come out to your parents? what did you do? how did it go?

I'm asking for a friend. 👀

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
hmm... little off topic but when and or how did any of you come out to your parents? what did you do? how did it go?

I'm asking for a friend.
I simply sat down with my mom first and told her that I was gay but that didnt change my personality and my other interest and she simply said that she knew. My father said ok in an uncomfortable tone and we haven't talked about it ever since. I didnt get kicked out of the house or insulted. I was accepted by my mom and while my dad might not be ok with it he still treats me well so in the end it's all good.

I simply sat down with my mom first and told her that I was gay but that didnt change my personality and my other interest and she simply said that she knew. My father said ok in an uncomfortable tone and we haven't talked about it ever since. I didnt get kicked out of the house or insulted. I was accepted by my mom and while my dad might not be ok with it he still treats me well so in the end it's all good.
Sorry about your dad :( that's really cool of your mum though. I'm really confused about it at the moment, I've been in a relationship with someone for 2 and a bit years now and I haven't been able to tell my parents because I don't know how they'd react. I'm kind of tired of keeping up the charade and constantly lying though but my mum is super Christian and I don't know where my dad stands on it but probably not great either. But I'm just so tired of lying to them and I feel like I haven't had a proper, honest conversation with them in literally years because I know I have that big lie going on the whole time.

Sorry about your dad :( that's really cool of your mum though. I'm really confused about it at the moment, I've been in a relationship with someone for 2 and a bit years now and I haven't been able to tell my parents because I don't know how they'd react. I'm kind of tired of keeping up the charade and constantly lying though but my mum is super Christian and I don't know where my dad stands on it but probably not great either. But I'm just so tired of lying to them and I feel like I haven't had a proper, honest conversation with them in literally years because I know I have that big lie going on the whole time.

Are you living with your parents?

Are you living with your parents?
No, I live with my BF, we've lived together since April 2014. I'm at university, my parents pay my rent and give me money every month because they want me to focus on university so they don't want me to get a job while I'm studying. I don't think they'd cut me off... But it is kind of a risk I suppose. :/

They live in a different country though and I am out with all of my friends, and people I meet. I'm not ashamed or worried about it anymore, only around my parents.

Yado

I don't think I've ever had a discussion with anyone for the sole purpose of revealing my sexuality, I just mention that I'm gay if it comes up. My mother isn't ok with it but that's her problem.

tumblr_nupnldIuzV1rb4wfpo1_r1_400.gif

3phemeral

I'm asking for a friend. ��

My mom was going through a rough patch, unbeknownst to me at the time, and she got drunk at a company party (she rarely drinks). I had to pick her up and take care of her and for a while, I was trying to figure out when to let her know. Anyway, while I was caring for her, she started sharing what was bothering her so we were in this sort of open emotional space where I felt comfortable opening up. She seemed to take it okay but wanted to have time to talk when she was more sober. Then the next day comes around and all hell breaks loose with all of the standard Christian arguments. This lasted for probably 7-8 years until now, she's fine with it because she "God" eventually spoke with her. Was rough because prior to that I was really close to her and had to distance myself.

Phreaker

I'm asking for a friend. ��

I told my mom because she knew there was something I wanted to tell her and her first guess was that my Dad cheated on her. �� I made her promise not to tell my dad (who told gay jokes just about every day), she did of course. I moved out shortly there after. Things are fine now (may years later), but what a real shitty time that was.

My Mom is getting real churchy now though, which makes me less and less comfortable around her and her new husband.

I don't think I've ever had a discussion with anyone for the sole purpose of revealing my sexuality, I just mention that I'm gay if it comes up. My mother isn't ok with it but that's her problem.

tumblr_nupnldIuzV1rb4wfpo1_r1_400.gif

My mom was going through a rough patch, unbeknownst to me at the time, and she got drunk at a company party (she rarely drinks). I had to pick her up and take care of her and for a while, I was trying to figure out when to let her know. Anyway, while I was caring for her, she started sharing what was bothering her so we were in this sort of open emotional space where I felt comfortable opening up. She seemed to take it okay but wanted to have time to talk when she was more sober. Then the next day comes around and all hell breaks loose with all of the standard Christian arguments. This lasted for probably 7-8 years until now, she's fine with it because she "God" eventually spoke with her. Was rough because prior to that I was really close to her and had to distance myself.

I told my mom because she knew there was something I wanted to tell her and her first guess was that my Dad cheated on her. 👀 I made her promise not to tell my dad (who told gay jokes just about every day), she did of course. I moved out shortly there after. Things are fine now, but what a real shitty time it was.
:( I'm sorry all of you have those experiences :( making me think twice about doing it though. Might not be worth the drama until I'm done with university (just under 2 years left)

Phreaker

:( I'm sorry all of you have those experiences :( making me think twice about doing it though. Might not be worth the drama until I'm done with university (just under 2 years left)

Thanks. I'd wait until you don't need their financial support tbh. Like you said, it's not like you're not out...you just haven't told them. I had friends come out around the same time as me (1st or 2nd year of college), some parents took it okay, some cut them off - none were thrilled.

I wonder if Demi will beat Selena's sales next week.

I told my momther when I was 16 and she acted like she was okay with it for that night but the next day she told me that I wasn't normal and went on this gross ass rant about how two "faggots" kissing was gross and in the end she said that all I wanted to do was kill her and that's why I had come out to her. 2 years later I asked her if she was still not okay with it and she said she had been "praying" for me and she didn't say yes or no she was just like "i'm not a judge!!!" or something. Sometimes I think I'm over it but ever since then I kinda don't like her (Okay I don't like her) and she acts like everything's fine and constantly tells me religious stories or she says she loves me,talks shit about my siblings to me, etc. My dad has said homophobic shit before so...yeah... I know I owe them a lot but they really fucking suck.

In the end only you know if your parents would be okay with it... I miscalculated and thought mine would but I was dead wrong lol

I was 23 or 24 can't exactly remember but I told her when things was getting serious with this guy I was dating for 7 months.

She said "that's great who is he what is he like?" RIP she was really cool about it and said she was waiting for me to tell her. I was nervous cause she's a devout catholic but she was 100% fine with it.

3phemeral

Aw, thank you :)

I knew my parents' stance growing up, which is why I was so hesitant to do it. But considering my close relationship with her, I felt like lying wasn't going to honor that relationship so I weakened and eventually came out to her. I'm not sure how it would have ended up if I had waited for a more appropriate moment but because of that negative response I 1) never confided in her with any personal problems and 2) became more defiant and outspoken about my opinions as a way of countering her (then) ignorance and also channeling my aggression for feeling rejected.

Really only you can decide when to say but from my experience, I wouldn't do it out of guilt for not telling the truth. I would say if you suspect that your situation won't go well, you might want to wait until you're done with school.

I told my momther when I was 16 and she acted like she was okay with it for that night but the next day she told me that I wasn't normal and went on this gross ass rant about how two "faggots" kissing was gross and in the end she said that all I wanted to do was kill her and that's why I had come out to her. 2 years later I asked her if she was still not okay with it and she said she had been "praying" for me and she didn't say yes or no she was just like "i'm not a judge!!!" or something. Sometimes I think I'm over it but ever since then I kinda don't like her (Okay I don't like her) and she acts like everything's fine and constantly tells me religious stories or she says she loves me,talks shit about my siblings to me, etc. My dad has said homophobic shit before so...yeah... I know I owe them a lot but they really fucking suck.

In the end only you know if your parents would be okay with it... I miscalculated and thought mine would but I was dead wrong lol

Sounds all too familiar. Incredibly sorry for your experience. :( I remember argument about how it "wasn't natural" until I told her about gay animals. She countered with "you're not an animal." She then pressed on the issue and asked why didn't I come out sooner because she could have "fixed" it and I responded: "Doesn't instill confidence or trust in a child when your parents yell at a news report proclaiming "That's why Adam made Eve, not Steve."" Or the assumption somehow that I was banging every single guy I ever met. Oh boy, that conversation came out of nowhere when I was driving her from the supermarket, "So, that club that you're VP of - the president...what's his name? David? Are you having sex with him?"

Honestly, you never know until you tell them it could go one way or another.
If things go sour you have support right here.

edit

Damn, you guys have been through a lot so sorry for your experiences.
I was fortunate enough where it has only been my mom and me so anyone else didn't matter.

But I have one asshole of an "uncle" who is homophobic af along with his gf and go to church all the time lol.
I'm not close with him so it's whatever still disgusting tho.

Touchdown

Banned
Whatever their reactions are going to be, I think it's best to tell them . Because otherwise it will eat away at you and always will be in the back of your head. Once it's done the one ton weight will be lifted off of your shoulders that you've been carrying around forever. Tell them unless you really are not sure how they will respond.

Aw, thank you :)

I knew my parents' stance growing up, which is why I was so hesitant to do it. But considering my close relationship with her, I felt like lying wasn't going to honor that relationship so I weakened and eventually came out to her. I'm not sure how it would have ended up if I had waited for a more appropriate moment but because of that negative response I 1) never confided in her with any personal problems and 2) became more defiant and outspoken about my opinions as a way of countering her (then) ignorance and also channeling my aggression for feeling rejected.

Really only you can decide when to say but from my experience, I wouldn't do it out of guilt for not telling the truth. I would say if you suspect that your situation won't go well, you might want to wait until you're done with school.

Sounds all too familiar. Incredibly sorry for your experience. :( I remember argument about how it "wasn't natural" until I told her about gay animals. She countered with "you're not an animal." She then pressed on the issue and asked why didn't I come out sooner because she could have "fixed" it and I responded: "Doesn't instill confidence or trust in a child when your parents yell at a news report proclaiming "That's why Adam made Eve, not Steve."" Or the assumption somehow that I was banging every single guy I ever met. Oh boy, that conversation came out of nowhere when I was driving her from the supermarket, "So, that club that you're VP of - the president...what's his name? David? Are you having sex with him?"
Mine too, the day after I told her we were driving to the supermarket and I saw a friend and I just said hi to him from the car and she was like "do you wanna have sex with him? because that's what you're telling me" And that's when I realized I had fucked up (it was before the whole it's not natural confrontation later that day)

She really went about it in a fucked up way too, the day before I came out to her she told me that if she was gay she would come out and stuff.. so I thought that meant she was okay with it. Tricking your kid into coming out to you like that only for you to tell them it's not normal, that they're sick and go so far as to tell your own kid they just wanted to kill you... that's honestly just vile and manipulative and that's why I have so much trouble trusting (or liking her) these days.
sorry for the rant lmao

Mine too, the day after I told her we were driving to the supermarket and I saw a friend and I just said hi to him from the car and she was like "do you wanna have sex with him? because that's what you're telling me" And that's when I realized I had fucked up (it was before the whole it's not natural confrontation later that day)

She really went about it in a fucked up way too, the day before I came out to her she told me that if she was gay she would come out and stuff.. so I thought that meant she was okay with it. Tricking your kid into coming out to you like that only for you to tell them it's not normal, that they're sick and go so far as to tell your own kid they just wanted to kill you... that's honestly just vile and manipulative and that's why I have so much trouble trusting (or liking her) these days.
sorry for the rant lmao

I'm so sorry you went through that crap. I can understand the lack of trust.

Did you check your PMs? I sent you something the other day.

I'm so sorry you went through that crap. I can understand the lack of trust.

Did you check your PMs? I sent you something the other day.
I did sis!! You and Bayo sent the same thing to me minutes part lol. I've been listening through it little by little so that's why I haven't responded yet :p I live for Honeymoon's production tbh

edit: let me edit something out rn...

Phreaker

sorry for the rant lmao

That really sucks and like both of you Mom my reacted quite differently than I thought she would. Her initial reaction seemed to be kind of okay, or so I thought. The next day I had classes and work in the afternoon. She called me at work and said that we weren't done talking about this. I was like okay, do you want to meet somewhere? I can meet you for lunch now if you'd like. We meet in the parking lot of Burger King. She didn't want to go get food, she just wanted to talk in the car. I said fine. I had also brought some pamphlets from PFLAG and some other groups that were meant for parents/siblings to help them understand. She was having NONE OF IT and threw them out the window and said she didn't need any damn pamphlets. (So funny and dramatic thinking back on all of it, which I haven't done in forever.) She was super shitty to me and I think I told her I wasn't doing this to hurt her, I was just letting her know something about me that she didn't know. Trying to be all casual about it. Again, not having any of it.

Things changed that day. She and I were very close and I was not very close to my Dad. She pretty much barely spoke to me for a few months and then one day my Dad got mad at my brother and said I just wish the two of you would get out of our lives. I went to my room, grabbed some clothes and left. I came back when they were at work to get the rest of my things and stayed with a friend. My mom asked me to come back, and I did after a week or two, but only long enough to find an apartment with a friend. They didn't cut me off (the were paying my car insurance and some stuff at school), but they were in no way supportive. It probably took a couple years and meeting my first real long-term boyfriend (quite the jock and sport fan), he helped me and even my family become comfortable with who I was.

Meowster

My parents caught me on a date with a boy (I was supposed to be with my friend, his ex-girlfriend, but she decided she'd post a picture of herself two and a half hours away from where I was supposed to be so lol I got a long phone call) and I was so infuriated that they ruined my first real date that I drove home very mad, slammed the doors to their room, and just shouted "I'm gay" to them which went very nicely (they asked my sister if she was a lesbian the night before). It's a double edged sword, my dad feels a lot of regret about me not feeling like I could trust him about that and I feel shitty for it too when they definitely would have been on my side all these years. My dad and I have a closer relationship than ever before now This happened when I was seventeen for context. The most important thing is to be yourself and love yourself. If you're not ready, you're not ready.

Poor Lady GaGa and Lea Michelle.

3phemeral

sorry for the rant lmao

EJEYYq

She was having NONE OF IT and threw them out the window and said she didn't need any damn pamphlets.

That reminds me: My whole family knows I love reading about anything science-related so she gave me a pamphlet that she said, "You would like because it speaks to your sensibilities." It was a "science" pamphlet about how Christianity is unable to respond to new scientific claims about homosexuality and thus, because the Bible is not equipped to handle these explanations (imagine that), that we must find new ways to interpret the bible to counter them.

It also had a quite a nifty "scientific" chart about the state of man that went something like:

How the Bible sees Man: Born into Sin -> Finds Jesus -> Absolved of Sin
How Science sees Man: Born into Sin -> Continues Sinning​

I just about died over the absurdity.

Phreaker

That reminds me: My whole family knows I love reading about anything science-related so she gave me a pamphlet that she said, "You would like because it speaks to your sensibilities." It was a "science" pamphlet about how Christianity is unable to respond to new scientific claims about homosexuality and thus, because the Bible is not equipped to handle these explanations (imagine that), that we must find new ways to interpret the bible to counter them.

It also had a quite a nifty "scientific" chart about the state of man that went something like:

How the Bible sees Man: Born into Sin -> Finds Jesus -> Absolved of Sin
How Science sees Man: Born into Sin -> Continues Sinning​

I just about died over the absurdity.

Oh geez. Luckily my Mom wasn't too into church back then so she didn't bring that up much, though it was mentioned. She was more afraid of AIDS, me having a harder life, and her not getting her dream of me married to a women and with a bunch of kids.

Y'all have had it rough. :(

The only trials I ever went through as a straight person were my dad's side of the family wondering if I was gay just because I didn't have a girlfriend in my early 20s. Just because they couldn't keep it in their pants and get a girl knocked up early in their lives doesn't mean I wanted to. =|

Told my aunt. She told my mom. Mom cried cause she wanted grandbabies. Asked to see some porn the next day.
It was the 90s. Porn was still on video tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom