• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

There's nothing as amazing as the bridge on "Treacherous", as confessional as "All Too Well" , as casually effortless as the hook on "Holy Ground", or as uplifiting as "State of Grace".

Make no mistake, 1989 is amazing and it's a more cohesive record. And it's definitely better designed. But RED's highs are too high, although 1989 never reaches RED's lows (the terrible bonus tracks, for example).

I've never heard it, is it not on iTunes?
It's literally the only bop on the whole damn alberm XD

I've never been into Taylor Swift, but I could at least respect her efforts before. "Safe and Sound" and "Everything Has Changed" are legit amazing songs, but nothing on this watered-down Charli XCX tribute album even approaches those.

Mau ®;137333872 said:
There's nothing as amazing as the bridge on "Treacherous", as confessional as "All Too Well" , as casually effortless as the hook on "Holy Ground", or as uplifiting as "State of Grace".

Make no mistake, 1989 is amazing and it's a more cohesive record. And it's definitely better designed. But RED's highs are too high, although 1989 never reaches RED's lows (the terrible bonus tracks, for example).

ddddddd

Not me blocking those bonus tracks from memory. The TRAUMA inflicted after one listen each.

3phemeral

My impressions on 1989 from the official thread:

----------

First listen and it's all right. I don't really quite love anything, though. I don't know if this would make it into my daily rotation, but it's something along the lines of "wouldn't mind if it came on" (aside from the "ew" tracks).

Might Actually Love:
Clean

Like:
Blank Space
Style
This Love
All You Had to Do Was Stay

Cute/Meh:
Welcome to New York
Out of the Woods
Shake It Off
Wildest Dreams
I Know Places
You Are In Love
New Romantics

Ew:
I Wish You Would
Wonderland
Bad Blood
How You Get the Girl

Her sing-talking delivery gets tiresome after a while, though. For something that's receiving a lot of critical acclaim, I can say for certain that Taylor Swift is mostly not my type of music.

----------

My opinion hasn't changed since. Only thing is I'm having difficulty imagining listening to it again at all, other than Clean.

Mau ®

PERFECTION
Clean
Blank Space
Style
You Are In Love

BOPS
Welcome to New York
Wildest Dreams
New Romantics
I Wish You Would
How You Get the Girl

This Love
All You Had to Do Was Stay
Out of the Woods
Shake It Off
I Know Places
Wonderland

TRASH
Bad Blood

It's literally the only bop on the whole damn alberm XD

I've never been into Taylor Swift, but I could at least respect her efforts before. "Safe and Sound" and "Everything Has Changed" are legit amazing songs, but nothing on this watered-down Charli XCX tribute album even approaches those.

Nnnn, I'm missing out apparently

Listening to it now. Sounds like some cute Passion Pit/Lana Del Rey/Matchbox 20 hybrid. Why wasn't this on the original track list? :/

EDIT: Listening to Wonderland now

Vitanimus

So I'm gonna do a Scandinavian Pop feature for my radio show this week so if anyone has any recommendations/MIA artists please feel free to suggest:

• Robyn
  • Royksopp
  • Bjork (I don't think Iceland counts but w/e)
  • Studio Killers
  • ABBA
  • Elliphant
  • MO
  • Zhala
  • NONONO

Seems pretty sparse tho :c

So I'm gonna do a Scandinavian Pop feature for my radio show this week so if anyone has any recommendations/MIA artists please feel free to suggest:

• Robyn
  • Royksopp
  • Studio Killers
  • ABBA
  • Elliphant
  • MO
  • Zhala
  • NONONO

top of my head:
Little Dragon
Miike Snow
Lykke Li
Mr. Little Jeans

Vazduh

• Robyn
  • Royksopp
  • Studio Killers
  • ABBA
  • Elliphant
  • MO
  • Zhala
  • NONONO

A good list. You might add some of these artists, too:

Postiljonen

Tove Lo

Erik Hassle

Kim Cesarion

Lykke Li

Frida Sundemo

Azure Blue

Galantis

Seinabo Sey

Agnes

Vanbot

edit: and I forgot Rebecca & Fiona!

overcast

this
tumblr_nehv6bjTCG1tyuuv9o1_1280.jpg
rihanna-ella-december-2014-cover-lead.jpg

is awful
something worse than awful actually but I cant think of an adequate word
she looks like she got lost and wondered into zapdos
Her influence:
1386700240-st_vincent_purple_hair.jpg

Annie her lack of more EPs has me pressed.

At least Anniemal, Don't Stop, and A&R all still go in.

Keep it comin' baby can you dig it
Thought I'd have to look all over for it
It's not easy but I have to admit
Come on baby you're my greatest hit

G O D.

how has nobody mentioned The Knife and/or Fever Ray? Play them kiddies Silent Shout, amazing song and Pitchfork ACCLAIMED (rip in peace)

If the version of SOTS on the Masterpiece Platinum Edition is just the one that she performs live then that'll be good enough for me, that shit is fiiiiiiiiiiire and the Mr. Vegas bit actually works well with the song

Such a shame that Blow fheat. Rihbola was a Satanic lie, unless it comes out of nowhere as a surprise. Or maybe there's a collab on the future breaker of the Oops... record, R8.
7d85a11b.png

• Robyn
  • Royksopp
  • Studio Killers
  • ABBA
  • Elliphant
  • MO
  • Zhala
  • NONONO

Tove Lo
Annie
Loreen

Make sure to PM me your vote for the first round of the semifinals! One will end up facing either Madonna or Bjork in the finale while the other will have to endure the Beyst/Rhat slaughterhouse downstairs.

Stan your queens!

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Mau ®;137333872 said:

I wish I wasn't on my phone/at work right now because then I would respond appropriately. I just can't disagree more. I LOVE Red (aside from Stay Stay Stay fucking gross), but 1989. It's cohesiveness. The new sounds. Style. Clean. You R In Love. I Wish You Would. Wonderland. The rest. The new CD has completely won me over.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I prefer the atmosphere of Red. I also think the era's aesthetic was better than 1989's. Red also has State of Grace.

But 1989 has tighter bops and a lot of them.

I think Taylor started a career high with Red and has sustained it with 1989, something gagzpop other gurls couldn't do.

Leona linked me to this post, so now it's going to be stuck in my head. :(

Tell Leona that snitches get stitches, especially if they're pretty bitches. I went to youtube to listen to it to get it out of my head but exed it out as soon as Brian started singing. God they're horrible. *N'sync won.

cory64

The final number after the 99¢ copies taken out is 1.287m. Oop.
Taylor just couldn't compete with this kind of marketing dominance

UWebRnD.jpg

ATTN CAPSULE STANS:

Nakata spun 4 mystery tracks from their upcoming album at a Halloween performance. Some concert goers caught bits and pieces.

1 of 4
2 of 4
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFmymmIc6w]3 of 4[/URL]
4 of 4 (absent, the YT user may just be uploading it now or didn't get to record it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom