• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

Here you are now
Calling me up
But I don't know what to say
I've been picking up the pieces of the mess you made
People like you always want back the love they pushed aside
But people like me are gone forever
When you say goodbye

tumblr_nfn0mb7NN11qcgl1no3_250.gif

No one was here for Partition unfortunately. And my opinion on the vid really cooled when I found out that 90% of the visual imagery is just a shot-for-shot recreation of the actual burlesque routines at Crazy Horse.

Let's not pretend that Bey's visual iconography approaches Gaga or even Miley. And if Madonna counts, then so do Janet and Britney.

My overall point being that when people discuss Beyonce, her music videos don't figure into the equation, other than Single Ladies.

Beyonce IS a visual icon. Who's the first person to be referenced whenever someone's being fierce, or popping hips, or strutting around any which way? Beyonce's become synonymous with that. Everyone; celebrities, newscasters, tv shows, movies, politicians, hell your aunt and uncle would name drop her name the second they wanna equate someone with being fabulous or feeling his/her oats. And THAT'S iconography. Hell just go to the gay bar in your area and watch those boys strut around the dance floor whipping their invisible hair. Who do you think they're channeling?

You're not gonna see a regular mom say her daughter is "sassy like Rihanna." Beyonce IS that aesthetic sis. And it's because of the videos and performances that have diffused it into the masses. Hence, visual icon.

Beyonce IS a visual icon. Who's the first person to be referenced whenever someone's being fierce, or popping hips, or strutting around any which way? Beyonce's become synonymous with that. Everyone; celebrities, newscasters, tv shows, movies, politicians, hell your aunt and uncle would name drop her name the second they wanna equate someone with being fabulous or feeling his/her oats. And THAT'S iconography.

You're not gonna see a regular mom say her daughter is "sassy like Rihanna." Beyonce IS that aesthetic sis. And it's because of the videos and performances that have diffused that aesthetic to the masses.
I'm talking about individual videos and their impact. Videos with #impact are conversation starters, are undeniable markers of where pop culture is and will be, are parodied and retweeted ad infinitum. They have impact.

You're talking about years of accumulated iconography that have collectively symbolized Beyonce's supremely consistent public persona.

We're talking about two different things.

EDIT: Bitch not you crediting Beyonce for the gay club hair flip strut, were you born in 2003?

I'm talking about individual videos and their impact. Videos with #impact are conversation starters, are undeniable markers of where pop culture is and will be, are parodied and retweeted ad infinitum. They have impact.

You're talking about years of accumulated iconography that have collectively symbolized Beyonce's supremely consistent public persona.

We're talking about two different things.

Be that as it may, since we're talking about the two artists in question, obviously the cumulative impact has to be discussed. Yeah obviously only a handful of Beyonce videos have had powerhouse impact, but that's still a handful. I can't really think of a Rihanna video (or Gaga or Miley, as you mentioned) that owned the visual zeitgeist like Crazy In Love or Single Ladies did. Come to think of it I can say Bad Romance and Wrecking Ball are on that level. But still, can't think of a Rih one, though Umbrella was pretty big.

And BEYONCE as a visual album was a conversation starter. And there have been a handful of artists making visual albums to bank off what she started. If that's not #impact then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Bitch not you crediting Beyonce for the gay club hair flip strut, were you born in 2003?

Girl, ASK those queens who they're channeling though. She didn't invent the look, but she inherited it.

We're talking about 2003. I wonder what Rihanna was doing back then

iKeniMOLKzLSu.gif

Being helicoptered in from Haiti by the Beyonce Guild.

Be that as it may, since we're talking about the two artists in question, obviously the cumulative impact has to be discussed. Yeah obviously only a handful of Beyonce videos have had powerhouse impact, but that's still a handful. I can't really think of a Rihanna video (or Gaga or Miley, as you mentioned) that owned the visual zeitgeist like Crazy In Love or Single Ladies did. Hell even Beautiful Liar.

And BEYONCE as a visual album was a conversation starter. And there have been a handful of artists making visual albums to bank off what she started. If that's not #impact then I don't know what is.
Gerl you are CHANGING the conversation. Not once did I say that last year's album was not a watercooler moment, nor did I intimate that other artists aren't copying her release strategy.

Not sure what any of that has to do with individual music videos having world-slaying impact.

In any case, you wrote that Beyonce is a "true video artist," but the thing is that her "brand" has historically had very little to do with her videos. Her fierce Tina Turner/Sasha Fierce/"sassy" public persona is all in her stagecraft, which is why the visual raunch of stuff like Yoncé and Partition was such a surprise.

And come on sis, before BEYONCÉ, most everyone would agrih that her videos were about as relevant to the pop music conversation as Mariah or Whitney.

And finally sestra, you know where the bottoms and the twinks learned their fierce body language vocabulary from? Not from Bey, but from this queen.

Don't even play tbh, I know the deal~

Gerl you are CHANGING the conversation. Not once did I say that last year's album was not a watercooler moment, nor did I intimate that other artists are copying her release strategy.

Not sure what any of that has to do with individual music videos having world-slaying impact.

In any case, you wrote that Beyonce is a "true video artist," but the thing is that her "brand" has historically had very little to do with her videos. Her fierce Tina Turner/Sasha Fierce/"sassy" public persona is all in her stagecraft, which is why the visual raunch of stuff like Yoncé and Partition was such a surprise.

And come on sis, before BEYONCÉ, most everyone would agrih that her videos were about as relevant to the pop music conversation as Mariah or Whitney.

And finally sestra, you know where the bottoms and the twinks learned their fierce body language vocabulary from? Not from Bey, but from this queen.

Don't even play tbh, I know the deal~

Her stagecraft was a big part of it, but it began with Destiny's Child music videos and hit critical mass with Crazy In Love. Live performance never hit huge critical mass levels unless they're benchmark Grammy years or Super Bowl performances. People assigned that sassy/fierce thing when they saw her booty bouncing in the Crazy In Love video, and then again with Single Ladies, and she expanded on it with Self-Titled. The stagecraft supported that and kept it going, but those two music videos played a bigger part in setting her iconography, IMO.

And girl really? I mean Tyra was big around the time Beyonce's solo shit went big but right now nobody would mention her on the day-to-day, unless they're talking about smizing or having a fake freakout on someone. The boys hip popping and swerving around something fierce on the dance floor are obviously recalling someone more current and more ubiquitous. And it ain't Naomi Campbell either. lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i literally just got back from the cinema to find that you're already talking about it in anticipation of my return

my five dimensional impacT

Mau ®

Yeah, I'm not that excited for her new album anymore. One of the songs she did sounds almost exactly like Avicii's reworked "Hope There's Someone". And Rebel Heart is basically "Wake Me Up" (Madonna edition).

Hopefully Diplo saved ha!

Aguila

#ICONIC
BABY ITS ALL RIGHT NOW YOU AINT GOTTA FLAUNT FOR ME
IF WE GO AN TOUCH YOU CAN STILL TOUCH MY LOVE ITS FREE
WE CAN WORK WITHOUT THE PERKS JUST YOU AND ME

THUG IT OUT TILL WE GET IT RIGHT

BABY IF YOU STRIP YOU CAN GET A TIP
CUZ I LIKE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE

this song is still fireeeee

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Crazy in Love was in White Chicks.
Crazy in Love was in The Great Gatsby
Crazy in Love was in Fifty Shades of Grey trailer
Crazy in Love was ripped off on That's So Raven
Crazy in Love was in DDR

What does We Found Love have?

Also the music video was #Iconic.

Mau ®

So "Crazy in Love" appeared in a few shit movies and an upcoming shit movie. Oh and on DDR, like that hasn't happened to any other pop stars.

Umbrella appeared on a few shit movies, games and has had several covers. Doesn't mean I boast about it.

Ddd.

Isn't blow just the video where she is on a 70s skating rink? It never stuck with me.

I like the imagery of Flawless better.

Still, We Found Love is a more iconic video than any of the Beyoncé videos imo, apart from Single Ladies. The ribbon vomit alone vomits on whole discographies.

Floridian

We Found love is one of the most annoying songs from Rihanna, but I guess being overexposed to it got me feeling that type of way. It's just generic and not much context to it.

When Madonna sings "oow yeaah, that was me", all I see is her telling a room full of people that it her who farted.

Yes, I'm childish like that, but her intonation is perfect haha.

Majmun

I don't see much iconography in the We Found Love video tbh. It's greatly shot, but other than that? Nothing special.

POP video's are great when they have signature dance moves or something that you can imitate.

That's why Crazy in Love and Single Ladies are so iconic. The video's had a lot of signature moves, had a lot of impact and were imitated like crazy.

Does Rihanna even have signature dance moves?

iDF5GTx0bUWoo.gif

...besides that one
ibcBlypJSZP3F8.gif

I don't see much iconography in the We Found Love video tbh. It's greatly shot, but other than that? Nothing special.

POP video's are great when they have signature dance moves or something that you can imitate.

That's why Crazy in Love and Single Ladies are so iconic. The video's had a lot of signature moves, had a lot of impact and were imitated like crazy.

Well that's quite reductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom