• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mau ®;140667004 said:
you n****s

iIoFDdtTC8e6N.gif

♫

You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe [x3]
You a stupid hoe, (yeah) you a, you a stupid hoe
You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (stupid, stupid)
You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (you stupid, stupid)
You a stupid hoe, (yeah) you a, you a stupid hoe (you stupid, stupid)

♫

Seriously though it might be true
She said in a recent interview that like in the last year her life became a lot better and she stopped being sad all the time

soooo thirsty for prominent LGBT women tbh

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
♫

You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe [x3]
You a stupid hoe, (yeah) you a, you a stupid hoe
You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (stupid, stupid)
You a stupid hoe, (yeah) you a, you a stupid hoe (you stupid, stupid)

♫

stan.

The Flop

Banned
What kind of ratchet mess. Apparently Fifth Harmony is performing "Bo$$" on X factor UK now on the 7th instead of the superior "Sledgehammer". WHY!?!

Does the UK audience stan the Obama's that much?

I can't breathe.

Phreaker

…On my rebel heart…. on my rebel heart….
I’ve spent some time as a narcissist
Hearing the others say “Look at you, look at you!”
Trying to be so provocative
I said “Oh yeah, that was me!”
All of the things I did, just to be seen…”

hmmm, not a great first impression tbh

What kind of ratchet mess. Apparently Fifth Harmony is performing "Bo$$" on X factor UK now on the 7th instead of the superior "Sledgehammer". WHY!?!

Does the UK audience stan the Obama's that much?

I can't breathe.

I don't care for Bo$$ and the first time I heard it and I heard Michelle Obama. I was thinking, that's not what they just said, is it? Sure nuf

Oh lord, that Madonna snippet is laughably bad.

She sounds shitty, the song sound mediocre, and the lyrics are just embarrassing. If this is gonna be another Hard Candy / MNDA type of album, I'll ultimately just give up on her and take COADF as her last good album.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm not seeing anything on that madonna page :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I guess Madonna found a way to sound worse than MDNA
03102c4e.gif~original

That Break The Rules-esque breakdown
03102c4e.gif~original

She is making the mistake of following other artists and while it might work for other artists it just doesnt work for her. The lyrics I think are the most offensive part of the whole thing despite the dated American Life-ish production.

Mau ®

When she recruited Avicii I was hoping she wanted old-school Avicii, since she's been a fan since the early days.

But she basically worked on a Wake Me Up 4.0 ch...

let's hope the Diplo tracks are a slay, like they usually are.

gaming_noob

I heard a really catchy song with a good beat funnily enough at a Dollarama a few weeks ago and thought to myself "I don't recognize this voice but I can already tell she's going to hit it big if she's a new singer". Mind you I'm not into mainstream music so I don't know anyone in the industry... this morning I just so happen to click on a Taylor Swift music video because I wanted to finally hear a song from her and lo and behold it is the exact song from Dollarama.... lol. "Blank Space". Damn this is catchy.

Have you PM'd your sis today?

If not, then get to it! Voting closes right around the corner. <3

iPNbIc5rGkWEH.png

And a special thanks to BEYSUS and MAU for sharing their own personal go-to playlists for Bey and Rih. Take a listen:

Beyonce and Rihanna have often been in the same conversation on POPGAF, though outside of the stan quarters they are rarely associated. In a climate where pop females tend to be thrown in a ring, it's very refreshing to see that these music powerhouses have never had to step on each others' toes, or even release music at the same time. Beyonce and Rihanna seem to pass the baton to one another seasonally, and they ALWAYS leave an impression with each go.

d794a69d

BEYONCE took the reins with Destiny's Child, helping catapult the group to stratospheric levels with dozens of smash singles and hit albums. In 2003 however, she engulfed on a solo journey that managed to send her flying even higher.

What sets BEYONCE apart from the pack is a business-savvy resilience that has kept her peaking since her solo career took off. In fact, you can argue that she has never had a career nosedive, let alone a lull. It's all been a steady rise since her debut, and as other veteran acts constantly experiment with new looks and sounds to stay relevant, BEYONCE's brand has been consistent and polished for over a decade. She's never had to throw out her playbook and grasp at new ideas like Madonna, or cling to the same schtick until it wears its welcome like Gaga. Instead, she honed her craft and kept her same authentic brand intact the whole time. And with her last album, the BEYONCE name can now stand hand in hand with those of the all time greats.

A consummate performer, a true video artist, and the ultimate pop star:
beyonce-21.gif

Will you be voting for BEYONCE?

Or do you prefer more of a wild child? Maybe a little less polish and a little more edge?

tumblr_lrqd7bWrgw1qewmu6o1_500.gif

RIHANNA begun her young career more or less chasing similar sounds pursued by the likes Ashanti and Beyonce herself, but all it took was one megaton record in 2007 to set the world ablaze, and since then, RIHANNA has been at the forefront of radio and a consistent chart staple. What she lacks in perfectionist stage performance, she more than makes up with in a fearless sort of cool; an effortless style and swagger that every modern pop up-and-comer is trying to emulate.

RIHANNA has commanded the pop landscape for the past 7 years, and while her opponent invests her capital in touring money and album-selling, RIHANNA doesn't limit herself. Singles? She's sold millions. Albums? Millions. Tours? Made millions. Sponsorships? Up the wazoo. And she makes it look so so easy.

A gorgeous shape-shifter, a style icon, and a radio powerhouse:
tumblr_ljajw9xfgx1qhmz7po1_500.gif

Will you be voting for RIHANNA?

CLICK HERE TO VOTE NOW.

royalan

I'm going to give Madonna a fair "wait and see" with that snippet. Something about verse, as strange as it is, hints at something a bit more transcendent than that basic-as-fuck chorus did.

Mariah at her Christmas best is unbeatable.

Those chi'run in the audience...unworthy lessers who don't even know. They just don't even know...

Gosh, Mariah back then really made it look so effortless. It was easy to take for granted, but you just don't see Pop performances like that anymore.

Is Bey really an iconic video artist tho soulsiS

"Single Ladies" is still her only pop culture watershed moment from a visual standpoint

Of course she is. She made a whole album of videos and most of them are hugely popular. Partition alone <3

Not sure who else comes close to her aside from Madonna. Rihanna has many great videos but none of them have hit critical mass like Bey's has. :p

Of course she is. She made a whole album of videos and most of them are hugely popular. Partition alone <3

Not sure who else comes close to her aside from Madonna. Rihanna has many great videos but none of them have hit critical mass like Bey's has. :p
No one was here for Partition unfortunately. And my opinion on the vid really cooled when I found out that 90% of the visual imagery is just a shot-for-shot recreation of the actual burlesque routines at Crazy Horse.

Let's not pretend that Bey's visual iconography approaches Gaga or even Miley. And if Madonna counts, then so do Janet and Britney.

My overall point being that when people discuss Beyonce, her music videos don't figure into the equation, other than Single Ladies.

I think We Found Love video is definitely up there. And I'm having trouble thinking of other iconic Beyonce videos outside of Single Ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom