• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

UIOIYXO.png

A trolling mess.

ibHbtpLXd8x4a.gif

Partition

Banned
Sucker is really bad :( what happened after TRUE GODMANCE?

Sounds like she was pressured to simplify her sound into the UK Kesha or something.

Vazduh

I like the album. I still need to give it a couple of more listens before I decide on whether I prefer it to True Romance or not, but overall it's quite good.

Vazduh

It's nice to see Charli get that critical acclaim. Hopefully the sales will reflect that, too, because I really want that third J-pop inspired album!

Earlier this year she spent most of her tour ill.I bet she's pregnant
8zdxcqdurg.gif

"Please keep me in your prayers?" Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like pregnancy. Hope she gets well.

I just can't get you out of my head
Boy your loving is all I think about
I just can't get you out of my head
Boy it's more than I dare to think about

There's a dark secret in me
Don't leave me locked in your heart

Set me free

tumblr_mt7ftbVrLV1qa7fv2o6_r1_250.gif

overcast

So is Nicki's album gonna have a lot of impact on the charts or naw? We got to talking about her on GAF-Hop.

Sorry to break up the Charli talk, I am hyped now cause of you guys though :]

Tokubetsu

"They're either talking shit about you or stealing the shit you're talking...either way the name been poppin"

- Champagne "Drake" Papi, 2014

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Suit and Tie is a bop
poor the rest of that era

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So Jennifer Hudson is still around and shes doing stuff with Gorgon City, it' called Go All Night
Completely here for this trend of big vocal americans working with UK production

They're doing a radio 1 live lounge in 45 Minutes, performing that song as well as a Christmas song apparently

Yado

So is Nicki's album gonna have a lot of impact on the charts or naw? We got to talking about her on GAF-Hop.

I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like there's much buzz surrounding this album.

That gif always cracks me up. Her album art looks really nice!

Sigh, it makes me miss physical media again. All the cool album covers and cd designs :(

The pop music business is totally saturated and depressing now and it's partly because of that. We listen to anything at the drop of a dime and it's so transactional and we become critics seconds into a song. Physical CD cases had personality and it drove you toward the artist. Now it's all just another album to scroll through on Spotify. Gags was right. Sad.

I'll keep buying physical albums for the people I like. :p

Trigger

I don't use most of Sucker honestly. The tracks that standout really standout, but it's an otherwise hit or miss album for me. I do appreciate her ability to write a killer hook tho. She pretty much makes Fancy, and Boom Clap still punches.

I think Nicki's stint as a force in pop music is over. She'll do decently enough with this album, but I think Iggy has kinda snatched her spot as the Top 40 friendly rapper (despite the fact that I don't think anyone actually likes Iggy for her rapping).

Vitanimus

I don't think the Pinkprint will flop but I don't think she'll recreate the chart dominance she had in 2011/12. The obnoxious delays in her album and the desperation to get a smash hit like Anaconda, which is more cultural meme than actual hit, is off putting

Partition

Banned
I think Nicki's stint as a force in pop music is over. She'll do decently enough with this album, but I think Iggy has kinda snatched her spot as the Top 40 friendly rapper (despite the fact that I don't think anyone actually likes Iggy for her rapping).

Iggy will never snatch that spot from her because Iggy can't do her own hooks and carry a pop song on her own. She may be the cool white girl atm, but her lack of talent won't stretch her very far.

Trigger

Simplethings by Miguel still slays. Thanks Lena Dunham.

It does. I need new Miguel music.

Iggy will never snatch that spot from her because Iggy can't do her own hooks and carry a pop song on her own. She may be the cool white girl atm, but her lack of talent won't stretch her very far.

True. Iggy isn't very talented, and I agree that her popularity will be short lived. However you don't need talent to dominate the charts.

Touchdown

Banned
Mau ®;142720678 said:
I'm not familiar with Mary J. Blige's work but her new album (the one producer by Disclosure) is pretty good.

Unacceptable. You need to stop what you're doing right now and go listen to ha discography from start to finish.

ibvRl19osV4Nss.gif

overcast

It might sell well because she is well known but the little I heard of the album sounds underwhelming.

I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like there's much buzz surrounding this album.

Interesting. Nicki has definitely tried to go back to rapper mode this time it seems? But some of it is still poppy, like Anaconda. So, she's in a weird spot. Might as well go poppy and sell records.

Matt_

How bizarre
Taylor Swift sounded better than Ariana at the Victoria Secret show

Matt_

Taylor lipped again?

no I dont think so
Heavy use of a backing track though, and for blank space she barely moved which I thought was quite odd
Not seen her do style yet so it may go down hill

USA Today made a list of the most tweeted moments/celebrities of 2014.

Most Mentioned Celebrities 2014 said:
1- Justin Bieber
2- Niall Horan
3- Harry Styles
4- Liam Payne
5- Ariana Grande
6- Demi Lovato
7- Lady Gaga
8- Beyonce
9- Louis Tomlinson
10- Taylor Swift

Poor Zayn being left in the dust. And kii @ Lady Gaga being more mentioned than Bey and Tay during their big years, slay mama etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom