• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Lana's next album may be coming August 2015

ij7LuKIqnJYf7.gif

Edit: She's working with a new producer, Mark Ronson (Amy Winehouse, Adele, Bruno Mars, that Uptown Funk song).

Majmun

Perched for a new Lana record. Ultraviolence was good, but she can do better. Cruel World, Shades of Cool and West Coast are already one of the best Lana songs tho.

Mark Ronson is a great pick.

Latch

Everything and nothing always haunts me
I know you're trying, I know you're trying
Waiting for your moment to fall on me
I saw you trying, I saw you trying

Maybe if you let me be your lover
Maybe if you tried then I would not bother
Telling me that basically you're not looking out for me
Everything is true to me, never words where you would see
Maybe if you tried then I would not bother

Hurts so bad, I don't know what you want from me
You know I'm trying, You know I'm trying
And now we're hanging on by a heartbeat
You know I'm trying, I was always trying

Maybe if you try then I would not bother
Telling me that basically you're not looking out for me
Everything is true to me, never words where you would see
Maybe if you try then I would not bother
I've been hating everything, everything that could have been
Could have been my anything, now everything's embarrassing

god

iUROKhA6QyurP.gif

YASS LORD
Guy Ferrari didn't leave one follicle intact with this hymn

iUROKhA6QyurP.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hmm Mark Ronson? He's alright but I'm not sure I'll like what he does with Lana, it's a different type of sound to what she usually does

rhandino

Banned

tumblr_mjxbz29o031qg39ewo1_500.gif

She really need to get the fuck out of twitter... jesus, she is so talented and so stupid at the same time T_T

I'm going to believe that with "White People" she refers to the public who praise Iggy and other white artists that take black culture for themselves, and then not even give a chance to other more talented acts because their skin colors... I really want to believe that.

EDIT: My god, she really can't stop herself.

Yeah they're both loud mouths and should probably take several seats, at least on the Twitter side of things.

Azealia Banks is endlessly more talented than Iggy but it's sad that people are more likely to latch on to her confrontational Twitter persona than appreciate her musicianship, which I do think is pretty legit.

Though the saddest thing about this whole thing is that what she ranted about in that radio interview is 100% accurate. Iggy Azalea is popular in large part because of her skin pigmentation and the pop-buying public warmed up to her because they related to said skin pigmentation. Her whiteness bridges the gap of approachability into the rap genre. Same with Macklemore and to a smaller degree Eminem. Azealia Banks meanwhile is forced to be confined to the "black music" category, despite her brand of music being (on surface level) essentially the same as Iggy's, and it's only because she's a black woman. Her references hold much more cultural context as well and that alone bars a large group of listeners from engaging because they just don't understand those contexts. The same reason so many white people go "I don't understand why the unrest in Ferguson is getting so out of hand"... there's a contextual disconnect there and it's obvious.

Azealia's anger is completely justified, because at the end of the day black culture and authentic hip-hop/R&B will not be appreciated or engaged by the mass white buying public unless the music sheds a great deal of its layers, and loses the socio-cultural angst or commentary in favor of something ignorant people can understand and relate to (like being fancy, or bouncing, or being a black widow baby). Black artists are typically not interested in doing that. But for white artists it's a win-win. You take the black tropes you like, package them with a more approachable spokesperson (approachable to other white people anyway), and you hit the jackpot. You'll be considered pop coz you're on the radio, and you'll be considered rap/hip-hop because the music seems externally similar. Win-win.

If Azealia wants Iggy out of the "rap" category so that only authentic black artists take up that genre, then she'll have to sadly deal with the effects. Iggy and Macklemore are just going to cast a wider net regardless, it's sad but true.

fef19ec0_ir11aTpJYy8gp.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It's annoying because she is speaking the truth about white rappers and the music industry, buy she seems to be going full tilt with her dislike for white people. I mean what does bringing up the fact that agriculture started in africa have to do with anything? I also found it surprising she went in on 12 years a slave

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lana's next album may be coming August 2015

ij7LuKIqnJYf7.gif

Edit: She's working with a new producer, Mark Ronson (Amy Winehouse, Adele, Bruno Mars, that Uptown Funk song).
Finally we might get the well put together fresh album Lana deserves. I was listening to Bang Bang Bang earlier, it's a slay.

but she seems to be going full tilt with her dislike for white people.

I mean....
lol

I mean what does bringing up the fact that agriculture started in africa have to do with anything? I also found it surprising she went in on 12 years a slave

Did you listen to what she was saying through the tears though. It's soul crushing to be continually beaten down and told that your people are a bunch of savages who will never amount to anything, only to find out that some of the greatest innovations or inventions were made by said people only to have that fact be hand waved away. I'm with her on the 12 Years a Slave shit because the, seemingly, only time black people can get some recognition about something, movie-wise, if it's some endearing slave tale. Fuck that shit son.

Zutroy

Yeah they're both loud mouths and should probably take several seats, at least on the Twitter side of things.

Azealia Banks is endlessly more talented than Iggy but it's sad that people are more likely to latch on to her confrontational Twitter persona than appreciate her musicianship, which I do think is pretty legit.

Though the saddest thing about this whole thing is that what she ranted about in that radio interview is 100% accurate. Iggy Azalea is popular in large part because of her skin pigmentation and the pop-buying public warmed up to her because they related to said skin pigmentation. Her whiteness bridges the gap of approachability into the rap genre. Same with Macklemore and to a smaller degree Eminem. Azealia Banks meanwhile is forced to be confined to the "black music" category, despite her brand of music being (on surface level) essentially the same as Iggy's, and it's only because she's a black woman. Her references hold much more cultural context as well and that alone bars a large group of listeners from engaging because they just don't understand those contexts. The same reason so many white people go "I don't understand why the unrest in Ferguson is getting so out of hand"... there's a contextual disconnect there and it's obvious.

Azealia's anger is completely justified, because at the end of the day black culture and authentic hip-hop/R&B will not be appreciated or engaged by the mass white buying public unless the music sheds a great deal of its layers, and loses the socio-cultural angst or commentary in favor of something ignorant people can understand and relate to (like being fancy, or bouncing, or being a black widow baby). Black artists are typically not interested in doing that. But for white artists it's a win-win. You take the black tropes you like, package them with a more approachable spokesperson (approachable to other white people anyway), and you hit the jackpot. You'll be considered pop coz you're on the radio, and you'll be considered rap/hip-hop because the music seems externally similar. Win-win.

If Azealia wants Iggy out of the "rap" category so that only authentic black artists take up that genre, then she'll have to sadly deal with the effects. Iggy and Macklemore are just going to cast a wider net regardless, it's sad but true.

This certainly has element of truth to it, but I really don't think that's the case in the whole Iggy vs Azealia debacle.

If you actually examine their career, both started out with good initial singles (212 and Work) both of which done around the same chart wise (Azealia actually better).

Iggy's management clearly seen the potential and from there on milked out her current success as a feature artist. None of her solo singles have been hits, and even her songs as the lead artists are clearly successful because of the features in the chorus (Charlie with Fancy and Rita with Black Widow), meanwhile she's inoffensive for the rest of the song.

Compare that with Banks who pretty much from the beginning fell out with her record label, even in that interview admitting that she basically doesn't care and was happy to just tour. She's had no structure to her career, and it seems to be mainly her fault. Because of that she's not had anywhere near the exposure of Iggy. Along with her constant twitter beef, is it any wonder her attitude is better known than her music.

As for the Grammys, I'm not from the US so I'm not really too familiar, but from what I've read it's pretty much a popularity contest now, so with the above mentioned it comes as no surprise that Iggy won, and I don't think it has too much to do with race.

Saying all that, I love Banks music, and I have no doubt her career will outlast Iggy who probably only has a year or two left, but unless she bucks up her attitude and starts playing nicely with the record labels, she's never gonna reach the same success as Iggy.

botty

Banned
Going to the Beacon theatre tomorrow to see Queen of Life. It will be my 2nd time seeing ha live.
party.gif

Fallacy.

I was there last night and it was everything but SOLD OUT:

That was 5 minutes before the show began.
it did fill up a bit, but the show was definitely NOT sold out
these tickets were taxing on the pockets, and I had shit seats

I hope you enjoy the show....of which Mariah only performs for HALF of the time. Tired old thing. 40% of the show is the choir singing, 10% of the show is just a bunch of children spinning around like drunken monkeys, and then there is Mariah's 50% that is full of note dodging, Mimi battling her backtrack for dominance, being carried around by men half her age, and being patted down because of the sweat that built up from reaching for her earpiece.

Granted she did sound decent and 4 of the 8-9 songs performed were nice. The AIWFC finale was fantastic!

I give the show: 3/5 dislocated shoulders! 👌

B-Dex

Fallacy.

I hope you enjoy the show....of which Mariah only performs for HALF of the time. Tired old thing. 40% of the show is the choir singing, 10% of the show is just a bunch of children spinning around like drunken monkeys, and then there is Mariah's 50% that is full of note dodging, Mimi battling her backtrack for dominance, being carried around by men half her age, and being patted down because of the sweat that built up from reaching for her earpiece.

Granted she did sound decent and 4 of the 8-9 songs performed were nice. The AIWFC finale was fantastic!

Is she playing high school theatres? 🙈

Partition

Banned
Fallacy.

i think the joke here is you paid to see mariah live

Can someone familiar with The Electric Lady confirm whether or not I'm hearing Prince all over this album outside of the obvious? All this guitar is sounding very Prince-ish.

edit:I thought botty was stanning that mumbly little boy with the ponytail that dates Big Sean. Exclusively.
d30sb95.png

Touchdown

Banned
Fallacy.

I give the show: 3/5 dislocated shoulders! <span class="EmojiInput mj58" title="Ok Hand Sign"></span>

I like how you only come in here to reply to my posts tho. ;)

The tickets are sold out, not sure about why people didnt fill it though if they bought the tickets... I made sure to get mine early XD. Why didn't you tell me you were going??!!! We could have coordinated and went togetha.
ebf69f50.gif

royalan

Nah.

My problem with Azealia's interview is that it was a whole lot of pretentious, undeserved whining. You could see the wheels spinning in her head, desperately trying to alter reality. She clearly wants to tell a story of how she's REALLY supper talented (hint: she's not), and that the only reason she's not getting her just desserts is because of Iggy Azalea and her whiteness. Which is a complete fabrication.

Maybe I speak on this because I was a fan of both of their careers in the beginning, but Azealia is really being bitter boots bringing Iggy into all of her career failures. People so easily forget that Iggy Azalea LOST her record deal in 2012, and virtually disappeared off the scene that year with the exception of a go-nowhere song she did with Steve Aoki. Meanwhile, 2011-2012 was the period Azealia Banks' 1991 mixtape took off, and all the videos from the EP had millions of views, including demos she would never release.She was EVERYWHERE. A darling of the blogs, and even had her EP featured in TIME. At the same time, Iggy's most popular video was still Pu$$y from the year previous, and at that point it had only BARELY hit a million views. Iggy was definitely seen as the fading white chick, and Azealia was the up-and-coming greatness.

But why didn't the future shake out the way? Simple. Because Iggy hustled her ass off in the face of adversity, touring even when she didn't have a SINGLE popular song, making connections wherever she could. And what was Azealia doing? Sitting on her lazy ass, feuding with everyone with a Twitter account, and being so smug in her "greatness" ("I'm the head negress!") that she thought all she had to do was sit back and wait for her filet mignon to be delivered to her. Iggy is where she is because she Worked. simple as. Azealia fell off because she's a dumb bitch. Simple as. And make no mistake, she did fall off. Releasing your one album 3 years late and having it barely make a splash among the gays it equivalent to a certified "Nobody gives a fuck" flop.

So of course Azealia wants to introduce greater race issues to the equation. It distracts the public, and makes her feel better about the fact that she's toxic to her own career, and gives her yet another reason to hate on her biggest rival (even though Iggy barely pays attention to her). But those greater race issues don't reflect reality. Even if Iggy didn't exist. Even if Iggy never left Australia, Banks still wouldn't be shit. Because she ain't shit. In ANY reality she would have torpedoed her own career, because that's all she knows how to do.

Nah.

My problem with Azealia's interview is that it was a whole lot of pretentious, undeserved whining. You could see the wheels spinning in her head, desperately trying to alter reality. She clearly wants to tell a story of how she's REALLY supper talented (hint: she's not), and that the only reason she's not getting her just desserts is because of Iggy Azalea and her whiteness. Which is a complete fabrication.

Maybe I speak on this because I was a fan of both of their careers in the beginning, but Azealia is really being bitter boots bringing Iggy into all of her career failures. People so easily forget that Iggy Azalea LOST her record deal in 2012, and virtually disappeared off the scene that year with the exception of a go-nowhere song she did with Steve Aoki. Meanwhile, 2011-2012 was the period Azealia Banks' 1991 mixtape took off, and all the videos from the EP had millions of views, including demos she would never release.She was EVERYWHERE. A darling of the blogs, and even had her EP featured in TIME. At the same time, Iggy's most popular video was still Pu$$y from the year previous, and at that point it had only BARELY hit a million views. Iggy was definitely seen as the fading white chick, and Azealia was the up-and-coming greatness.

But why didn't the future shake out the way? Simple. Because Iggy hustled her ass off in the face of adversity, touring even when she didn't have a SINGLE popular song, making connections wherever she could. And what was Azealia doing? Sitting on her lazy ass, feuding with everyone with a Twitter account, and being so smug in her "greatness" ("I'm the head negress!") that she thought all she had to do was sit back and wait for her filet mignon to be delivered to her. Iggy is where she is because she Worked. simple as. Azealia fell off because she's a dumb bitch. Simple as. And make no mistake, she did fall off. Releasing your one album 3 years late and having it barely make a splash among the gays it equivalent to a certified "Nobody gives a fuck" flop.

So of course Azealia wants to introduce greater race issues to the equation. It distracts the public, and makes her feel better about the fact that she's toxic to her own career, and gives her yet another reason to hate on her biggest rival (even though Iggy barely pays attention to her). But those greater race issues don't reflect reality. Even if Iggy didn't exist. Even if Iggy never left Australia, Banks still wouldn't be shit. Because she ain't shit. In ANY reality she would have torpedoed her own career, because that's all she knows how to do.

edit: [r e d a c t e d] that was quite rude. Even for me.

royalan

Old capin ass, uncle Ruckus ass, Royalan to save the day, on schedule. This is the exact post I expected you to make when I read Soul's post. I'm surprised it took you this long. Must have been out there grinding, forgiving all those trespasses.

Actually, I had to go to a Christmas party for my job. :/

NOT suprised to see you NOT disagreeing with or acknowledging any of my points, tho. Because you know I'm not wrong. AZEALIA is the problem with Azealia's career. Iggy could be back in Australia shoveling red dirt, and Azealia would still be feuding with industry heads, over-promising and under-delivering, and making albums only drag queens could love that come out years after they were supposed to.

Also, extra "sit the fuck down" points go to Azealia for still talking shit about Tiny, who never did anything to her. Azealia is a damn hoodrat. She's a failure because she does nothing but attract failure. Deal.

B-Dex

Actually, I had to go to a Christmas party for my job. :/

NOT suprised to see you NOT disagreeing with or acknowledging any of my points, tho. Because you know I'm not wrong. AZEALIA is the problem with Azealia's career. Iggy could be back in Australia shoveling red dirt, and Azealia would still be feuding with industry heads, over-promising and under-delivering, and making albums only drag queens could love that come out years after they were supposed to.

Also, extra "sit the fuck down" points go to Azealia for still talking shit about Tiny, who never did anything to her. Azealia is a damn hoodrat. She's a failure because she does nothing but attract failure. Deal.

Why waste time writing essays about her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom