• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really great interview. As ignorant as it may have came off, she really spilled some true shit that has happened over and over and over again in the industry. I've been watching this documentary on tv lately about this very same situation and now the last thing we have is being washed away. Sad for the people who pay attention to the person but not the message they are preaching

this igloo's #struggle
tumblr_ngth7qj2Zc1rn3sbpo2_1280.jpg
truly, her racism is justified #work

Let's be real. How hard would Iggy have to struggle before she got where she is? She really doesn't.

She was going to get it anyways. At the end of the day, she as a white artist will always be able to cross over with no problem. In history, that has never been the same for black people. End....of....story.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
"If you were in the same room as Iggy Azalea, would you have a conversation with her?"
"No. I'm not interested. She's not interesting to me"

790335593468976675.gif

Majmun

Rih is going to murder me if she's going to do dark alternative rnb. She better show these basic hoes how it's done.

FKA and Tinashe on suicide watch tbh

Meowster

Azealia is a despicable person who occasionally makes good music and Iggy Azalea is as vanilla as can be and talentless. Neither are anything much in my book.

Rihanna is kinda going to kill this next era.

The stars are aligned for Rih's comeback. She needs to just drop this album and wash both bitches away. This argument between the two is mega whack now.

Azealia Banks makes better music than Iggy due to experimenting with sounds, having a better flow and actually giving a damn about how her music is released. Other than that, Iggy is a good artist who goes well with hook masters and her true talents will be questioned after her 5 years of fame is up.

Rih is going to murder me if she's going to do dark alternative rnb. She better show these basic hoes how it's done.

FKA and Tinashe on suicide watch tbh

I think both will be fine. If anything, they both allow Rih to jump on their bandwagon. Not the other way around. Let's just hope they will be remembered or at least get their due for making it unique before she releases.

Both has phenomenal releases this year and were huge standouts for Indie R&B. Great production, lyrics, and performances on many of the songs for both albums.

I hope that these ladies are again, trendsetters for the big girls to jump on again.

Vazduh

Azealia Banks makes better music than Iggy due to experimenting with sounds, having a better flow and actually giving a damn about how her music is released. Other than that, Iggy is a good artist who goes well with hook masters and her true talents will be questioned after her 5 years of fame is up.

I agree with this very much. When it comes to talent, Azealia has the edge over Iggy, because she can both rap and sing very well.

There's a good reason why Iggy has to rely on other singers to deliver the hooks.

But as people, both are a mess.

New Miguel EP

Bless, I love Miguel's music and I can't wait to give it a listen.

royalan

Let's be real. How hard would Iggy have to struggle before she got where she is? She really doesn't.

She was going to get it anyways. At the end of the day, she as a white artist will always be able to cross over with no problem. In history, that has never been the same for black people. End....of....story.

Nah.

Don't get me wrong, Iggy being a white female rapper that's not all the way terrible carries a certain novelty that guaranteed that she would at least get some initial notice, her success wasn't guaranteed. Just look at all the other white female rappers not going anywhere (Kreayshawn, Lil Debbie, Brooke Candy, etc.)

Iggy still had to hustle her butt off.

Majmun

If there's one thing you can't drag Bey for, it's her wealth. So don't try it. Your fave is a minimum wage burger flipper compared to her.

rhandino

Banned
If Rihanna released ha single two weeks ago, then the Carter's could have bought at least two mansions... she really is selfish tbh. /s

In other topic, Azealia is truly hard to like as a person but I can't deny all the life I got from 212 and BWET. She really need to stop starting shit with people more powerful and relevant that her. Mess.

If Rihanna released ha single two weeks ago, then the Carter's could have bought at least to mansions... she really is selfish tbh. /s

In other topic, Azealia is truly hard to like as a person but I can't deny all the life I got from 212 and BWET. She really need to stop starting shit with people more powerful and relevant that her. Mess.
More powerful, relevant and racist
both ignorant tho

rude

Banned
Azealia is so exhausting. If she spent as much time on twitter as she did on making music she wouldn't even be in her position.

Nah.

Don't get me wrong, Iggy being a white female rapper that's not all the way terrible carries a certain novelty that guaranteed that she would at least get some initial notice, her success wasn't guaranteed. Just look at all the other white female rappers not going anywhere (Kreayshawn, Lil Debbie, Brooke Candy, etc.)

Iggy still had to hustle her butt off.

True and it's that white people syndrome to always get compared to other white people in the game.. However unlike the rest of them, she has a marketing machine. Lil Debbie, Kreayshawn etc, they don't have what Iggy has. Iggy has assets that work. She has the signature look and they can manufacturer her sound to appeal to a wider mass. The rest of those will be always be hacks that look like wannabes but will never be on the same level of success like Iggy. Now, I'm not saying that Iggy didn't have to work hard for her exposure but her way up has ever been so easy compared to everyone else.

Right now as it stands, all I know is that Iggy is in a court battle with someone vile. However instead of her clearing how she came up, she keeps stating she had to do so much to get where she is. So.... What did she do? Where is this hustle? Where is the struggle that she had to move up from?

Nemesis_

I'm watching the interview now

But I really don't care about either of them. Iggy herself is just a revolting human being who always retreats back to OMG SHUT UP IM FAMOUS UR NOT whenever people attack her rather than just shutting up or saying something intelligent.

Azealia is gross in general and her stans are even more revolting which is just so offputting.

I agree it's ridiculous that Fancy is considered a "rap record" though. I'm only 12 minutes in.

I'd legit like to know what actually went on between her and Gaga though.

Vitanimus

eh I enjoyed Azealia's interview and raised some valid points about black culture within the music industry although I thought she kinda "scapegoated" some issues like using the word faggot and the whole "you're problem not mine" attitude is kinda gross

at the same time, iggy's response has been really vile... like:

Now! rant, Make it racial! make it political! Make it whatever but I guarantee it won't make you likable & THATS why ur crying on the radio.
Enjoy continuing to bang your head against that metaphoric brick wall & Savor this attention. I'm the only way you get ANY.

her general ignorance is kinda outstanding, much more so than azealia herself

Yeah they're both loud mouths and should probably take several seats, at least on the Twitter side of things.

Azealia Banks is endlessly more talented than Iggy but it's sad that people are more likely to latch on to her confrontational Twitter persona than appreciate her musicianship, which I do think is pretty legit.

Though the saddest thing about this whole thing is that what she ranted about in that radio interview is 100% accurate. Iggy Azalea is popular in large part because of her skin pigmentation and the pop-buying public warmed up to her because they related to said skin pigmentation. Her whiteness bridges the gap of approachability into the rap genre. Same with Macklemore and to a smaller degree Eminem. Azealia Banks meanwhile is forced to be confined to the "black music" category, despite her brand of music being (on surface level) essentially the same as Iggy's, and it's only because she's a black woman. Her references hold much more cultural context as well and that alone bars a large group of listeners from engaging because they just don't understand those contexts. The same reason so many white people go "I don't understand why the unrest in Ferguson is getting so out of hand"... there's a contextual disconnect there and it's obvious.

Azealia's anger is completely justified, because at the end of the day black culture and authentic hip-hop/R&B will not be appreciated or engaged by the mass white buying public unless the music sheds a great deal of its layers, and loses the socio-cultural angst or commentary in favor of something ignorant people can understand and relate to (like being fancy, or bouncing, or being a black widow baby). Black artists are typically not interested in doing that. But for white artists it's a win-win. You take the black tropes you like, package them with a more approachable spokesperson (approachable to other white people anyway), and you hit the jackpot. You'll be considered pop coz you're on the radio, and you'll be considered rap/hip-hop because the music seems externally similar. Win-win.

If Azealia wants Iggy out of the "rap" category so that only authentic black artists take up that genre, then she'll have to sadly deal with the effects. Iggy and Macklemore are just going to cast a wider net regardless, it's sad but true.

Partition

Banned
Yeah they're both loud mouths and should probably take several seats, at least on the Twitter side of things.

Azealia Banks is endlessly more talented than Iggy but it's sad that people are more likely to latch on to her confrontational Twitter persona than appreciate her musicianship, which I do think is pretty legit.

Though the saddest thing about this whole thing is that what she ranted about in that radio interview is 100% accurate. Iggy Azalea is popular in large part because of her skin pigmentation and the pop-buying public warmed up to her because they related to said skin pigmentation. Her whiteness bridges the gap of approachability into the rap genre. Same with Macklemore and to a smaller degree Eminem. Azealia Banks meanwhile is forced to be confined to the "black music" category, despite her brand of music being (on surface level) essentially the same as Iggy's, and it's only because she's a black woman. Her references hold much more cultural context as well and that alone bars a large group of listeners from engaging because they just don't understand those contexts. The same reason so many white people go "I don't understand why the unrest in Ferguson is getting so out of hand"... there's a contextual disconnect there and it's obvious.

Azealia's anger is completely justified, because at the end of the day black culture and authentic hip-hop/R&B will not be appreciated or engaged by the mass white buying public unless the music sheds a great deal of its layers, and loses the socio-cultural angst or commentary in favor of something ignorant people can understand and relate to (like being fancy, or bouncing, or being a black widow baby). Black artists are typically not interested in doing that. But for white artists it's a win-win. You take the black tropes you like, package them with a more approachable spokesperson (approachable to other white people anyway), and you hit the jackpot. You'll be considered pop coz you're on the radio, and you'll be considered rap/hip-hop because the music seems externally similar. Win-win.

If Azealia wants Iggy out of the "rap" category so that only authentic black artists take up that genre, then she'll have to sadly deal with the effects. Iggy and Macklemore are just going to cast a wider net regardless, it's sad but true.

this is a good post..

Aguila

#ICONIC

67d90ee8r9utw.gif

Touchdown

Banned
k wait...not the hidden gem of the emancipation of mimi coming back to murder me

(See I'm looking for a man that'll rub me slow)
See I'm looking for a man that'll rub me slow
Make me sing real high
When he goes down low
But see it ain't just a physical thing
He's gotta treat me affectionately
And I gotta know he won't betray my trust
Just like every other motherfucker does
Is this just an impossible dream

Baby
To elusive to pursue
It's been such a sad and windy road for me
Just searchin' for the truth

YAS, The verses still slay me.

iUROKhA6QyurP.gif

Vitanimus

Everything and nothing always haunts me
I know you're trying, I know you're trying
Waiting for your moment to fall on me
I saw you trying, I saw you trying

Maybe if you let me be your lover
Maybe if you tried then I would not bother
Telling me that basically you're not looking out for me
Everything is true to me, never words where you would see
Maybe if you tried then I would not bother

Hurts so bad, I don't know what you want from me
You know I'm trying, You know I'm trying
And now we're hanging on by a heartbeat
You know I'm trying, I was always trying

Maybe if you try then I would not bother
Telling me that basically you're not looking out for me
Everything is true to me, never words where you would see
Maybe if you try then I would not bother
I've been hating everything, everything that could have been
Could have been my anything, now everything's embarrassing

god

iUROKhA6QyurP.gif

Great post. Perfectly put.

The Crying Game...Not Jessie murdering Nicki on her own track. And not even a mention of a feature. Fucking mess.

This is the truth. My sister even said it sounds like a Jessie song with a Nicki feature lol.

rude

Banned
(See I'm looking for a man that'll rub me slow)
See I'm looking for a man that'll rub me slow
Make me sing real high
When he goes down low
But see it ain't just a physical thing
He's gotta treat me affectionately
And I gotta know he won't betray my trust
Just like every other motherfucker does
Is this just an impossible dream

Baby
To elusive to pursue
It's been such a sad and windy road for me
Just searchin' for the truth

YAS, The verses still slay me.

iUROKhA6QyurP.gif
What kind of lyrical journey? What kind of masterclass in the language of English? And despite my love for All I Want For Christmas is You...We all know what her TRUE holiday song is.

Then you put your hand in mine
And we floated away
Delicately lay entwined
In an intimate daze
A crescent moon began to shine
And I wanted to stay
Tangled up with you among the fireflies
On that Fourth of July

This classic American imagery...Mariah, queen of nostalgia.
Oprahcry4.gif

Touchdown

Banned
What kind of lyrical journey? What kind of masterclass in the language of English? And despite my love for All I Want For Christmas is You...We all know what her TRUE holiday song is.

Then you put your hand in mine
And we floated away
Delicately lay entwined
In an intimate daze
A crescent moon began to shine
And I wanted to stay
Tangled up with you among the fireflies
On that Fourth of July

Oprahcry4.gif

Don't even get me started on Fourth of Slayly.

Oprahcry4.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
livin la dolce vita
Life couldn't get much sweeter
Don't you give me a reason
That its not the right season
Babe I love you a lot
I give you all I got
Babe you know it's true
I've been saving all my summers for you
Like fruit
Like fruit

Not me only getting into this low key slay months late

livin la dolce vita
Life couldn't get much sweeter
Don't you give me a reason
That its not the right season
Babe I love you a lot
I give you all I got
Babe you know it's true
I've been saving all my summers for you
Like fruit
Like fruit

Not me only getting into this low key slay months late
buy FROOT on iTunes

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
When love is made so renegade
You know you're going down in flames
And if our hearts must share a grave
At least can we be friends?
You shoot your words,
They knock me down
Like rubber bullets raining out...
They bounce right off and I get up again
But if no one understands me
At least you could pretend
I never knew when love was true
But I know it's the end

But I'll be here 'til chaos calls
And God ain't listening anymore
'Cause I, I know that we could be better
And I'll stay here
To defy our fears
Even though I know it'll end in tears
'Cause I, I know that we could be better
When I'm alone on the longest nights
I think of you and your Marlboro lights
And I, I couldn't be better
ipfzMVpUBBFsZ.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
lana_is_ultraviolent
You're a bit of a cunt for releasing this though

lana_is_ultraviolent
Lana's had enough leaked songs, you're not helping, you skank

lana_is_ultraviolent
I actually hate you

lana_is_ultraviolent
Ty for the preview though

cackling
lana sounds great

Status
Not open for further replies.