• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

Oh, we're talking about Iggy and ignorant messiness? Was this brought up?

She starts off good, and then there's all this messy stereotyping.

popeyes.png

She gets herself into trouble tbh.

Nah.

My problem with Azealia's interview is that it was a whole lot of pretentious, undeserved whining. You could see the wheels spinning in her head, desperately trying to alter reality. She clearly wants to tell a story of how she's REALLY supper talented (hint: she's not), and that the only reason she's not getting her just desserts is because of Iggy Azalea and her whiteness. Which is a complete fabrication.

Maybe I speak on this because I was a fan of both of their careers in the beginning, but Azealia is really being bitter boots bringing Iggy into all of her career failures. People so easily forget that Iggy Azalea LOST her record deal in 2012, and virtually disappeared off the scene that year with the exception of a go-nowhere song she did with Steve Aoki. Meanwhile, 2011-2012 was the period Azealia Banks' 1991 mixtape took off, and all the videos from the EP had millions of views, including demos she would never release.She was EVERYWHERE. A darling of the blogs, and even had her EP featured in TIME. At the same time, Iggy's most popular video was still Pu$$y from the year previous, and at that point it had only BARELY hit a million views. Iggy was definitely seen as the fading white chick, and Azealia was the up-and-coming greatness.

But why didn't the future shake out the way? Simple. Because Iggy hustled her ass off in the face of adversity, touring even when she didn't have a SINGLE popular song, making connections wherever she could. And what was Azealia doing? Sitting on her lazy ass, feuding with everyone with a Twitter account, and being so smug in her "greatness" ("I'm the head negress!") that she thought all she had to do was sit back and wait for her filet mignon to be delivered to her. Iggy is where she is because she Worked. simple as. Azealia fell off because she's a dumb bitch. Simple as. And make no mistake, she did fall off. Releasing your one album 3 years late and having it barely make a splash among the gays it equivalent to a certified "Nobody gives a fuck" flop.

So of course Azealia wants to introduce greater race issues to the equation. It distracts the public, and makes her feel better about the fact that she's toxic to her own career, and gives her yet another reason to hate on her biggest rival (even though Iggy barely pays attention to her). But those greater race issues don't reflect reality. Even if Iggy didn't exist. Even if Iggy never left Australia, Banks still wouldn't be shit. Because she ain't shit. In ANY reality she would have torpedoed her own career, because that's all she knows how to do.

I wasn't really speaking on how they handled their careers separately given the cards they were dealt, I was more saying that if all things were kept equal in the beginning, Iggy Azalea was always bound to be a more accessible and mainstream artist than Azealia Banks and that's in large part due to the color of her skin.

Iggy worked hard to get on the radio, and congrats to her, but if Azealia was in a similar starting point, and hustled just as hard with the same kinds of connections, would she be as big a radio staple? The answer is probably no. I don't see pop stations following her singles releases like they would Iggy's, even though they're both rappers. I see niche/hip-hop stations playing both of them though, Azealia because her music fits the demo and Iggy because her music is everywhere and it's recognizable. Azealia's problem is that she bit from the hand that fed her and pissed off the wrong people, combined with her hard-headedness which prevented her from climbing that upward trajectory that seemed inevitable for her. She didn't compromise for shit and she paid the price, fine. Iggy Azalea though? Her entire microwavable rap schtick is the definition of compromised. It's heavily derivative, appropriated, soulless, and unconvincing to me. That's the price of "hustling" to get on the radio, so again, congrats to her for getting there. But that's beside the point.

When I see people like Iggy, Miley, or even Ke$ha pull for these black tropes that you KNOW they didn't really identify with growing up, and are only really engaging with it because it sounds like a fun or edgy "artistic departure", it makes me feel very uncomfortable because I know that they're going to be postured as connoisseurs of a genre they really don't know all that much about. And in Iggy's case, she gets to reap the rewards of being loved by the pop side while being tolerated by the hip-hop side coz hey, at least it's kinda hip hop. Except come Grammy time, all these white bitches will get awards in the more coveted "pop" categories while black artists, no matter how big they are, get relegated to the more niche genres. And in many cases, these white artists will bleed into both the pop and niche categories and swipe them both, because the public can't tell their music apart.

How about Miley's last album essentially being "hip hop", but she gets considered pop while Beyonce sits in the "Hip Hop/R&B" category? Bottom line: Black people are still compartmentalized every day and in every facet around, and the Iggy/Azealia/Grammys thing is just one tiny little footnote in the bigger picture here.

Iggy meanwhile is the equivalent of driving through the Harlem projects in a limousine. Insincere, smarmy, kinda cheap. Don't try to convince me that you're hood when you really just like wearing tight shorts and prefer talking to singing because you're tone deaf. I'm not buying it.

Beyonce is actually another really good example altogether, but I guess I'll touch on that another time. :)

royalan

I wasn't really speaking on how they handled their careers separately given the cards they were dealt, I was more saying that if all things were kept equal in the beginning, Iggy Azalea was always bound to be a more accessible and mainstream artist than Azealia Banks and that's in large part due to the color of her skin.

I would agree with this if we were talking about any other genre but Hip-Hop. White skin doesn't guarantee you a place in Hip-Hop, it doesn't guarantee you empire, and it certainly doesn't guarantee you respect. If that were the case Eminem wouldn't still be the only white rapper in all this time to really reach those heights. Meanwhile, I can think of at least a half dozen black rappers off the top of my had who have built empires through Hip-Hop.

Sure, you have little blips like Ke$ha and Miley who come along, are seen as "edgy and fresh" by the know-no-better population, and get some shine. But the thing is then these artists go. Nobody really remembers Ke$ha, much less are crediting her with transforming Hip-Hop/Urban culture in any significant way. Same with Miley. The truly transformative artists associated with Hip-Hop are still black artists.

So no, if all things had been equal I still don't see it as a fair assumption that Iggy would still be bigger than Azealia, and because of her skin color. That doesn't really fit the history of this particular genre. Azealia had everything in place to be bigger than Iggy ever could be, both critically and commercially. The setup was there. But she fucked that up and is now basically crying racism.

MADONNA JUST DROPPED A BOMB ON ITUNES, GET IN THERE KIDS

SIX FINISHED SONGS FROM NEW ALBUM REBEL HEART, OUT IN MARCH

ROY I WILL RESPOND TO YOU LATER

Majmun

Where can I get more info about LIZ? Is Just Like You her only record?

Can't even find her on wikipedia. flop mess, she's good tho

If a snippet was released of "Bitch I'm Madonna" with the first 30 seconds of the song, I would think the full song would be an insane banger. It seems to build to some weird very high tempo dancepop song.

But in reality, it's just one of those shitty "drop da bass" choruses. Lame.

Nothing I've heard of the songs sound good to be honest.

A white dude his name was John
He had a Queen Bee Rules tattoo on his arm
He asked me if I'd be his date for the prom
And he'd buy me a horse, a Porsche, and a farm
Dan my [redacted] from Down South
Used to like me to spank him and cum in his mouth
And Tony he was Italian
And he didn't give a fuck
That's what I liked about him
He ate my pussy from dark till the mornin'
Called his girl up and told her we was bonin'
Puerto Rican papi, used to be a Deacon
But now he be sucking me off on the weekend

OUUIbi6.gif

When will anyone else?

Auto-tune mess.

Another Hag era I will skip.

Her voice is fucking swimming in auto-tune in nearly every song. It's unbearable, overproduced, dated trash. It's extremely obvious she doesn't give a shit anymore.

I tried liking the songs but they sound unfinished af
The mix is poor and the vocals are badly treated
I have to confess Bitch I'm Madonna's pre-breakdown section is good tho

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
A white dude his name was John
He had a Queen Bee Rules tattoo on his arm
He asked me if I'd be his date for the prom
And he'd buy me a horse, a Porsche, and a farm
Dan my [redacted] from Down South
Used to like me to spank him and cum in his mouth
And Tony he was Italian
And he didn't give a fuck
That's what I liked about him
He ate my pussy from dark till the mornin'
Called his girl up and told her we was bonin'
Puerto Rican papi, used to be a Deacon
But now he be sucking me off on the weekend

OUUIbi6.gif

This verse goes out to my n***** in jail
Beatin they dicks to the double-X-L; Magazine (uhh)
You like how I look in the aqua green? Get your Vaseline
Roll some weed with some tissue and close your eyes
Then imagine your tongue in between my thighs
Baby.. ohh.. yes ohh!
Jailer.. open up.. cell, block, eight

Alright n****, that's enough
Stop, look and listen; get back to your position
Kim got your dick hard, startin fights in the yard
Hotter than a Pop Tart fresh out of the toaster
N***** do anything for a Lil' Kim poster
Eses, Bloods, Crips, all the thugs
Up North in the hole, they all wanna know

When will Onika? tbh
eMsLf9V.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've only listened to the demos and not the full tracks yet, but it speaks volumes at the fact that Madonna released some surprise songs and the entire world couldnt be bothered to give one single fuck
Even reading this thread took me a while to realise there was something official more than the leaks
Shes fallen from the top of the clouds to the core of the very earth

This verse goes out to my n***** in jail
Beatin they dicks to the double-X-L; Magazine (uhh)
You like how I look in the aqua green? Get your Vaseline
Roll some weed with some tissue and close your eyes
Then imagine your tongue in between my thighs
Baby.. ohh.. yes ohh!
Jailer.. open up.. cell, block, eight

Alright n****, that's enough
Stop, look and listen; get back to your position
Kim got your dick hard, startin fights in the yard
Hotter than a Pop Tart fresh out of the toaster
N***** do anything for a Lil' Kim poster
Eses, Bloods, Crips, all the thugs
Up North in the hole, they all wanna know

When will Onika? tbh
eMsLf9V.gif
I saw your stealth edit. Principal
ibuby9fFLIvi5s.gif

royalan

Mau ®;144178783 said:
I like them too, actually.

Honestly, I think this is going to go down a lot like Hard Candy did.

Madge is clearly going for a fun, boppy album again this time around. Problem is, people expect more from her at this point. The tracks are fine. Fun even. I can see myself listening to this while I'm getting ready for the clubs. But after the flawlessness of Confessions (and even American Life) people expect Madonna to make bigger statements with her music.

Honestly, if these tracks were by any other pop star, I don't think the reception would be nearly as negative. I felt that way about Hard Candy.

We hit the elevator right up to the rooftop
The bass is pumpin', make me wanna screw the top off
Yeah we'll be drinking and nobody's gonna stop us
And we'll be kissing anybody that's around us
iMM5yF2Zx5yZS.gif
iMM5yF2Zx5yZS.gif

I just wanna have fun tonight
(Love this sht tonight)
OUUIbi6.gif

Love me under the flashing light
tumblr_m1mguynI4Q1rsvwibo1_500.gif

Ooooooo oooo ooo ooh
Make me blow up this house tonight

*drop*
dqLMyHO.gif

We hit the elevator right up to the rooftop
The bass is pumpin', make me wanna screw the top off
Yeah we'll be drinking and nobody's gonna stop us
And we'll be kissing anybody that's around us
iMM5yF2Zx5yZS.gif
iMM5yF2Zx5yZS.gif

I just wanna have fun tonight
(Love this sht tonight)
OUUIbi6.gif

Love me under the flashing light
tumblr_m1mguynI4Q1rsvwibo1_500.gif

Ooooooo oooo ooo ooh
Make me blow up this house tonight

*drop*
dqLMyHO.gif
I agree tbh
Disappointing to be honest. It could've slayed despite the obnoxious autotune

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
just preordered and I see she is still using Nicki
Because the stuff they did before was so good
Black-Woman-really-GIF.gif

Mau ®

Honestly, I think this is going to go down a lot like Hard Candy did.

Madge is clearly going for a fun, boppy album again this time around. Problem is, people expect more from her at this point. The tracks are fine. Fun even. I can see myself listening to this while I'm getting ready for the clubs. But after the flawlessness of Confessions (and even American Life) people expect Madonna to make bigger statements with her music.

Honestly, if these tracks were by any other pop star, I don't think the reception would be nearly as negative. I felt that way about Hard Candy.

I feel there's some introspection going on in the tracks. In a way it reminds me of American Life more than any other album she's done. It's not as acoustic-y as AL, but it has a similar vibe to some of it.

She's gonna flop hard, I fear. But I don't think she cares anymore about commercial success. No amount of shit albums she releases from here onto her death will erase her 30-ish years of great output. Her legacy will remain intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom