• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor TLG. The DWUW of videogames.
mess
iOuWOFkd9Q7lX.gif

Okay, I've got to get something off my chest. I've gotten majorly tired of visiting Mariah videos on YouTube and someone making references to her live performances and having to compare her to Whitney all the freakin' time. The Mariah criticisms and overt Whitney praises never cease!

Let me just say this, and before I do, Whitney Houston (R.I.P.) is my 2nd favorite vocalist of all time, so this isn't a bash, I just would like to address a few points:

The straw that broke the camel's back was this morning when I was watching Mariah's "Can't Take That Away" Divas Live 2000 performance, and I see comments about how Mariah's live performances never surpassed her studio versions. Bull****.

Mind you, I see these types comments on NEARLY every one of Mariah's videos.

First of all, I would like to say that in her prime and even out of her prime, Mariah's live performances often eclipsed her studio versions. I also think she was a much more versatile singer than Whitney (unpopular opinion) (Sorry, Mumei).

Now, let me explain; these are the types of comments/claims that I see on many of Mariah's videos:

First claim & point:

"Whitney was ALWAYS better live than in the studio"

Well this is true for a large part of the time, I really think people go too far with the whole "Whitney is better live" claim.

IMO, there are NUMEROUS songs in which Whitney never sang as good as the studio version. Examples of these include "So Emotional", " Didn't We Almost Have It All", "Takin' A Chance", " Who Do You Love", "Why Does It Hurt So Bad", " Exhale ", "Where Do Broken Hearts Go," "Step By Step," "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and a few more. Those songs and few others are among the songs that I felt Whitney never surpassed the studio version. And I know that that is largely subjective on my part and entirely up to opinion.

In my opinion, the only songs that Whitney has ALWAYS surpassed the studio version are"You Give Good Love," "Saving All My Love For You," "The Greatest Love of All," "How Will I Know," "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and "All The Man That I Need."

In my opinion, she's never really done "So Emotional" justice live. Again, that's just me.

Second claim & point:

"Whitney NEVER sang a song the same way twice

I'm sorry, but Whitney sang MANY of her songs the same way twice. People go WAY overboard with this statement. A few examples:

1) During her first tour, Whitney sang the song "I Am Changing" at many of her concerts. The ones that are available on YouTube include San Jose, San Francisco and London.

Now, I have listened to those performances a few times and truthfully, I really could NOT tell any of those performances apart. The vocal delivery and performances sound the same to me. Yes, they are AMAZING.

But, they sound the same.

2) I have watched many live performances of "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" from 1988-90 and I must say, in every single one of those performances, Whitney sings the song in the same arrangement in EVERY one of those performances, except for the TOTP performance, which she chose to stick to the studio version.

3) Whitney's signature 1994 performances of "I Will Always Love You" at the WMAs, Grammys, South Africa and concerts on the South American leg of her Bodyguard tour are delivered with the same slightly raspy delivery and the same arrangement. the only difference is that she stretched out the performances on her concerts in South America a few minutes longer than performances at the awards shows. Other than that, nothing major was changed in the arrangements or vocal style/delivery.

Mariah, has never sang a song the same way twice no more than Whitney has. I just wanted to clear that up. In fact, Mariah, to me, seems to always change up her songs when doing them live, especially from what I've seen. Whether it's adding a whistle note or more, adding fluttery melismas, different words, playing with her background singers and so on and so forth.

Again, I LOVE Whitney to death, but she isn't really THAT much more impressive than Mariah is as so many people love to claim. I am basing this off of what I've seen and heard myself and have come up with these conclusions based on that.

If you've taken the time to read this far, I thank you. You're a real trooper :)

People go WAY overboard with Whitney. That's my rant. Just had to get that off my chest. Good day.

Touchdown

Banned
Okay, I've got to get something off my chest. I've gotten majorly tired of visiting Mariah videos on YouTube and someone making references to her live performances and having to compare her to Whitney all the freakin' time. The Mariah criticisms and overt Whitney praises never cease!

Let me just say this, and before I do, Whitney Houston (R.I.P.) is my 2nd favorite vocalist of all time, so this isn't a bash, I just would like to address a few points:

The straw that broke the camel's back was this morning when I was watching Mariah's "Can't Take That Away" Divas Live 2000 performance, and I see comments about how Mariah's live performances never surpassed her studio versions. Bull****.

Mind you, I see these types comments on NEARLY every one of Mariah's videos.

First of all, I would like to say that in her prime and even out of her prime, Mariah's live performances often eclipsed her studio versions. I also think she was a much more versatile singer than Whitney (unpopular opinion) (Sorry, Mumei).

Now, let me explain; these are the types of comments/claims that I see on many of Mariah's videos:

First claim & point:

"Whitney was ALWAYS better live than in the studio"

Well this is true for a large part of the time, I really think people go too far with the whole "Whitney is better live" claim.

IMO, there are NUMEROUS songs in which Whitney never sang as good as the studio version. Examples of these include "So Emotional", " Didn't We Almost Have It All", "Takin' A Chance", " Who Do You Love", "Why Does It Hurt So Bad", " Exhale ", "Where Do Broken Hearts Go," "Step By Step," "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and a few more. Those songs and few others are among the songs that I felt Whitney never surpassed the studio version. And I know that that is largely subjective on my part and entirely up to opinion.

In my opinion, the only songs that Whitney has ALWAYS surpassed the studio version are"You Give Good Love," "Saving All My Love For You," "The Greatest Love of All," "How Will I Know," "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and "All The Man That I Need."

In my opinion, she's never really done "So Emotional" justice live. Again, that's just me.

Second claim & point:

"Whitney NEVER sang a song the same way twice

I'm sorry, but Whitney sang MANY of her songs the same way twice. People go WAY overboard with this statement. A few examples:

1) During her first tour, Whitney sang the song "I Am Changing" at many of her concerts. The ones that are available on YouTube include San Jose, San Francisco and London.

Now, I have listened to those performances a few times and truthfully, I really could NOT tell any of those performances apart. The vocal delivery and performances sound the same to me. Yes, they are AMAZING.

But, they sound the same.

2) I have watched many live performances of "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" from 1988-90 and I must say, in every single one of those performances, Whitney sings the song in the same arrangement in EVERY one of those performances, except for the TOTP performance, which she chose to stick to the studio version.

3) Whitney's signature 1994 performances of "I Will Always Love You" at the WMAs, Grammys, South Africa and concerts on the South American leg of her Bodyguard tour are delivered with the same slightly raspy delivery and the same arrangement. the only difference is that she stretched out the performances on her concerts in South America a few minutes longer than performances at the awards shows. Other than that, nothing major was changed in the arrangements or vocal style/delivery.

Mariah, has never sang a song the same way twice no more than Whitney has. I just wanted to clear that up. In fact, Mariah, to me, seems to always change up her songs when doing them live, especially from what I've seen. Whether it's adding a whistle note or more, adding fluttery melismas, different words, playing with her background singers and so on and so forth.

Again, I LOVE Whitney to death, but she isn't really THAT much more impressive than Mariah is as so many people love to claim. I am basing this off of what I've seen and heard myself and have come up with these conclusions based on that.

If you've taken the time to read this far, I thank you. You're a real trooper :)

People go WAY overboard with Whitney. That's my rant. Just had to get that off my chest. Good day.

Ok I see you. Tell 'em.

dd776ad3e5.gif

royalan

With a name like "Drop That Kitty" this better be a Twerk track.

I don't want Rock, Punk Pop or any of that other bullshit Charlie XXL does.

I want a straight up pussy-popping ANTHEM.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
fume at Charmeleon XCX's ability to drift effortlessly between pop styles when the only style your fave has mastered is tuneless honking

The straw that broke the camel's back was this morning when I was watching Mariah

I always appreciate posts like these. I'm much more in Whitney's lane than Mariah's (the latter of whom I don't really follow if ever) but I'm definitely not inclined to disagree with you. I think vocally they fall on two sides of the same coin, and they complement each other the same way I feel like Aretha/Patti do when it comes down to comparing them skill by skill. I think the disadvantage in Whitney's case is that Mariah's career/discography blows hers out of the water, and her longevity/years active gave Mariah many more avenues to evolve vocally and spread her talent out across more eclectic styles. She's a more versatile vocalist I think and a reason for that is probably because she was motivated to be.

royalan

yes she is

source: the fact that i've seen her live

are you really going to come for charli's live vocals when your fave's are a joke when she isn't lip syncing for her life? please.

Lip-syncing? I hope you aren't being foolish enough to believe that her performance last night was lipped.

Facts: Charlie on her best day couldn't out-sing Xtina on her worst. Let the hate flow through you, tho.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lip-syncing? I hope you aren't being foolish enough to believe that her performance last night was lipped.

it looked lip synced as all fuck to me and we know that xtuneless is barely capable of holding a note these days. the receipts are all over youtube.

let's be real here. charli xcx has put out more quality music two albers into her career than your fave has managed in a decade. being able to honk with the best of them can't make up for the deficit in musical quality.

Lesbihonest, if Christina didn't weigh herself down with nonsense vocal melismas and breathy runs that are out of her league, she still runs circles vocally around every fave not named Beyonce. Her problem is that she insists on going for it when nobody wants her to, like all those times I've convinced myself that I can karaoke Love On Top after 5 whiskey cokes. She just needs a good Judy to break the news that she sounds eternally better without the excess than with.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lesbihonest, if Christina didn't weigh herself down with nonsense vocal melismas and breathy runs that are out of her league, she would still run circles around most of our faves vocally. Her problem is that she insists on going for it when nobody wants her to, like all those times I've convinced myself that I can karaoke Love On Top after 5 whiskey cokes. She just needs a good Judy to break the news that she sounds eternally better without the excess than with.

the TEA

http://www.theonion.com/video/christina-aguilera-tour-canceled-due-to-fan-exhaus,34611/

rhandino

Banned
[ D E A D ] at this last pages and the Iggy/Rita gifs...

This weekend I had a several moments to PRISM and Teenage Dream, Perry music continue to give me life during long trips, slay.

YhWK3Jd.gif

Edit:
Also I shame boped to the rhythm ARTPOP and Lotus... I need help

Touchdown

Banned
it looked lip synced as all fuck to me and we know that xtuneless is barely capable of holding a note these days. the receipts are all over youtube.

let's be real here. charli xcx has put out more quality music two albers into her career than your fave has managed in a decade. being able to honk with the best of them can't make up for the deficit in musical quality.

By quality I'm guessing you mean metacritic reviews? When Charlie ABC is popular enough to garner more than 30 music "critics" to put down a grade for her euro-hipster white trash mouth breathing tracks she calls music then you can spew. Don't come for Christina with lip-syncing accusations when your fave does it every other performance.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Never thought I would see Charli & Christina comparisons when it comes to singing. Different leagues really.

???

when did i compare their singing? it's the fighturds that are so insecure about their fave that they have to make such stupid comparisons.

rhandino

Banned
Christina performance bring me back memories of the Madonna performance during the Grammys since even when I really enjoyed the music I felt that the everything else was rather boring to watch.

Also, a random question, would you think that some of your modern faves can put an enjoyable performance? Iike at the level of Michael, Madonna or Prince? I was watching some videos of them last week and damn, they had this energy that you cannot put your eyes away from them.

Mariah has just dropped the video for Meteorite!!!! ;alkjdf;lkjdf;alkjf;lakjf;lkj

It stars a young thin girl ready to take on the apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-5QNS52C0

ibidC4NrLVH9vd.gif
NO FUCKING WAY! LET ME LIVEEEEEEEEE!

Edit: It's bad to play with people feelings you know

wmmPYXF.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom