• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

I'm just getting into St. Vincent. Her latest album is strange, but I like it. It's very fresh.

Are her previous albums worth listening to as well?

Did you also learn that My Everything is the album of 2014?
Yaaaas! Stan for the album of the decade.
ioZ3QDV0mxUrn.jpg

Vitanimus

I'm just getting into St. Vincent. Her latest album is strange, but I like it. It's very fresh.

Are her previous albums worth listening to as well?

yes *.* strange mercy is very introverted and more akin to St Vincent, but Actor is hands down my favorite album her her

the strangers >>>>>>
jjust the same but brand new >>>>>>
MARROW >>>>>

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
haven't you listened to Love This Giant, vitanimus

I don't really care for St. Vincent much, but she's more tolerable when paired with the king of ~ art pop ~ David Byrne.

Kylie and Robyn faced off in Battle 06. How did POPGAF vote this time? Did Kylie make it through??

iE9MYNvG70oYq.png

Alas, Kylie couldn't make it. She fought to close the gap on the final voting day but failed to amass the support that Robyn received. Kylie must sadly move over to the Losers Bracket, but she definitely has a great shot so far of taking it to the top on that end.

Moving on, Battle 07 will be another showcase for a familiar face. She barely edged out her competitor in an earlier round, but now she must face an even bigger roadblock. Will she suffer the same fate as Kylie, or will she transcend all odds?

BATTLE 07 COMING UP IN A BIT!

Aguila

#ICONIC
I tried to get into St. Vincent's recent album, but I only really liked Prince Johnny (Rattlesnake, Digital Witness and Birth in Reverse were memorable). Cruel from one of her older albums is also really good.

Who's coming back to face a new entrant? HERE COMES BATTLE 07:

An imperfect angel soars through the skies. Below, a beyhive begins to rustle.

iuFfX9VGp2jal.png

It's Mimi and Bey! Our tournament's first victor faces off against our most nominated entrant. This might seem like stacked odds for Mariah, but we've been surprised before. Who will you choose?

You can vote now by clicking here!

Kylie and Robyn faced off in Battle 06. How did POPGAF vote this time? Did Kylie make it through??

iE9MYNvG70oYq.png

Alas, Kylie couldn't make it. She fought to close the gap on the final voting day but failed to amass the support that Robyn received. Kylie must sadly move over to the Losers Bracket, but she definitely has a great shot so far of taking it to the top on that end.

Moving on, Battle 07 will be another showcase for a familiar face. She barely edged out her competitor in an earlier round, but now she must face an even bigger roadblock. Will she suffer the same fate as Kylie, or will she transcend all odds?

BATTLE 07 COMING UP IN A BIT!
ibhucLxdhfXGqO.gif

Who's coming back to face a new entrant? HERE COMES BATTLE 07:

An imperfect angel soars through the skies. Below, a beyhive begins to rustle.

iuFfX9VGp2jal.png

It's Mimi and Bey! Our tournament's first victor faces off against our most nominated entrant. This might seem like stacked odds for Mariah, but we've been surprised before. Who will you choose?

You can vote now by clicking here!
ibaoW9QQOa8Efj.gif

royalan

--Nearly 150 million albums sold
--A DECADE of consecutive hits
--Some of the most difficult songs in Pop history make their home in her catalog
--Associated with an entire vocal range
--A song catalog filled with LEGIT writing credits
--One of the most flawless shade queens in the industry
--Can honestly say that the blood of Lucifer does not run through her veins
--Didn't need her evil coon of a daddy to get her shit
--A member of the vocal trinity
--The most flawless remixes in Pop history
--The most ICONIC episode of MTV Cribs ever

I could keep going. The point is that Beyonce is not fit to lick the dirt off of Mimi's red bottoms, much less compete with her.

Courage

Wow this next one is tough.

I'll probably go with Beyonce because she has some momentum going since 4. Beyonce was a great album.

--Nearly 150 million albums sold
--A DECADE of consecutive hits
--Some of the most difficult songs in Pop history make their home in her catalog
--Associated with an entire vocal range
--A song catalog filled with LEGIT writing credits
--One of the most flawless shade queens in the industry
--Can honestly say that the blood of Lucifer does not run through her veins
--Didn't need her evil
coon of a daddy to get her shit
--A member of the vocal trinity
--The most flawless remixes in Pop history
--The most ICONIC episode of MTV Cribs ever

I could keep going. The point is that Beyonce is not fit to lick the dirt off of Mimi's red bottoms, much less compete with her.
The [n e r v e].
ikTBjKcf3ITTd.gif

Mumei

I love Beyoncé, but I think we know where my loyalties lie. There actually was a time when I thought I might like Beyoncé's singing (though not her catalog) better, but after listening to Beyoncé on tour and Mariah on Tokyo Dome, it was Mariah for me all the time. I feel like while Beyoncé in her stadium tour performances doesn't have the same variation in dynamics as in her studio performances. You just wouldn't get something like Underneath the Stars from Beyoncé outside of the studio.

But I can definitely see how someone would prefer Beyoncé.

3phemeral

I've always appreciated Beyonce's talent but she hasn't grabbed me as an artist until Beyoncé. That's where she's come into her own and finally defined herself as an authentic contributor to her own self expression.

I've grown up hearing Mariah in the car rides to school and didn't really appreciate her until Butterfly. From there, I worked my way backwards and then started to look forward what more she could create. She's only recently started to flounder but even despite that, her unstoppable talent in her prime, the fact that she can still make music I love, and her undeniable work ethic that got her to be the living legend she is won't replace my loyalty.

iQ5UKgbT1ymje.gif

Bey may have talent, but vocally she is outclassed by Mariah. When we are talking about their primes. Now Bey has a bigger marketing machine behind her, but can hype really put her up there with the greats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom