• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so this Beyoncé concert special on HBO is kind of dope. Just annoyed that Jay-Z cuts off her best parts.. Ugh.

I love that she sang Lauryen and showed her some love, even bringing the church to Paris. A true Queen.

Bladenic

The Hive are so easily riled up on twitter. They know their queen is a good if very overrated performer with a terribly average discography

The Hive are so easily riled up on twitter. They know their queen is a good if very overrated performer with a terribly average discography

Beyonce has one of the most boppable discographies, they do Beyonce nights at nightclubs in Austin pretty often and the non-stop dutty-wining is off the chain.

EDIT: Also, Beyonce is the only one of two pop performers who can sound just as good live as she does in the studio, The other is P!nk. Not to mention Beyonce is a BEAST in the studio. That doesn't make her an overrated performer. It makes her one of the greatest performers of all time. Michael Jackson shimself couldn't even.

Mau ®

The discography thing is true tho. Before "4", did anybody here actually font about Bey's albums?

In before "You stan Rihanna. You have no room to talk blah blah"

Bladenic

Mau ®;131042093 said:
The discography thing is true tho. Before "4", did anybody here actually font about Bey's albums?

Even if they did pull that, Rihanna's singles are way better than Beyoncé's.

But Beyonce still has a better discography. A handful of great singles go a long way but they don't represent the whole.

Better albums, better performances, more talent, better music. Let's only compare people who are worth comparing tbh. Rihanna vs Katy Perry seems like a more fair fight, they both have great singles.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Mau ®;131042093 said:

This is true, it is very well known that Beyonce's hype is created by the media and not the GP

Mau ®;131042093 said:

Of course I'm bias but Bey's albums always had quality for me. I wouldn't like her if her music didn't speak to me. 4 wasn't even a bad album. It may not have been what was extremely popular at the time, but it hardly was horrible.

Even if they did pull that, Rihanna's singles are way better than Beyoncé's.

That's cool. I have no qualms with that. But while Rihanna has great singles, Bey has always had a better voice I can listen to, and her albums are just entirely better. One Rihanna single is 3 songs on a Bey album for me. I still get my life to Rihanna but Bey is just better imo. (of course, no surprises here)

Tbh, why is there this comparison between Rihanna and Beyonce in the first place? They are not even in the same league. The Katy Perry vs Rihanna debate make infinitely more sense than Bey and Rih.

They are not even from the same generation. While Rihanna was in middle and elementary school, Beyoncé was running with DC and on Star Search. Rihanna probably had a poster of her on her wall singing covers hoping to get discovered one day. They are barely comparable.

Mau ®

Tbh, why is there this comparison between Rihanna and Beyonce in the first place? They are not even in the same league. The Katy Perry vs Rihanna debate make infinitely more sense than Bey and Rih.

They are not even from the same generation. While Rihanna was in middle and elementary school, Beyoncé was running with DC and on Star Search. Rihanna probably had a poster of her on her wall singing covers hoping to get discovered one day. They are barely comparable.

People compare them because they're both black.

Also the Jay-Z "connection".

cory64

And yet look at all the people who gained so much ground on her despite being discovered after she went solo. She squandered so many opportunities the past decade that it took her iconic self-titled alber to solidify her place in the pantheon.

And yet look at all the people who gained so much ground on her despite being discovered after she went solo. She squandered so many opportunities the past decade that it took her iconic self-titled alber to solidify her place in the pantheon.

Who gained so much ground on her exactly? lol

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
That must be why she sells an obscene amount of tour tickets and albums with no pre-hype, media-created or otherwise.
She doesn't sell obscene amounts of albums lol
As a matter of fact this is her second album in a row that fails to outsell Unapologetic hihi
Not to mention the Una era also had hit singles 💀

I mean she had to use a trick as expressed by Gaga to sell her album 😟

Bladenic

She doesn't sell obscene amounts of albums lol
As a matter of fact this is her second album in a row that fails to outsell Unapologetic hihi
Not to mention the Una era also had hit singles 💀

I mean she had to use a trick as expressed by Gaga to sell her album 😟

Screaming at all this truth

Majmun

If Rihanna and Katy Perry were a bunch of hew's and would take part in modern talent show, they would both get eliminated during the first round.

They were just lucky. Rih would probably still be hunting in the jungle for food if it weren't for Jay. And Katy would be a total nobody without Dr Luke.

People like Beyoncé because she a self-made star and doesn't have to depend on anybody. Her talents and drive made her get this far. That's why people have a lot of respect for her.

not you forgetting Gaga

She's nowhere near her status, but I'm sure she'd appreciate your compliment. Beyonce tops Forbes power lists, she consistently makes headlines, and last year she turned the entire music-selling business on its head. No one else can pull off what she's pulled off, as impressive as singles sales and chart placements are. Beyonce's operating on a different wavelength, to the point where making appearances on radio or the billboard charts every once in a while is enough to keep her at the top of the game while everyone else struggles to keep up with their thousandth #1 hit.

She's simply not playing the same game everyone else is playing. She's playing by different rules, and because of it her success and reputation in the pop field is stratospheric.

Mau ®

Self made, uh?

Beyonce-and-Matthew-Knowles.jpg

royalan

It really is starting to seem like BEYONCE, for all its pomp and circumstance, really had no impact.

--No hits
--No real timeless songs
--Only managed decent-but-unimpressive sales
--Only spawned copycats in the form of iTunes dumping a crap U2 album in everyone's lap
--Only still-relevant among the Beyhive barely a year later

And considering the massive rabbit-out-of-a-hat she had to pull with the album's release to even get noticed, I'd say that the album's overall performance is quite the let-down. About as close to a flop as you can get without actually being one.

When 25 drops, I think the world will collectively forget that Bey did anything this past year.

royalan

Didn't Beyonce just have a huge performance at the VMAs? lol

Beyoncé's "I Just Learned How to Spell 'Feminist' This Year!" performance was a flop.

All recycled material from her tour.

Half of it lipped.

They didn't even allow her to finish up on stage before cutting it off.

Mau ®

Her father supported her.

Family supporting each other isn't something unique.

If by "support" you mean being the manager and executive producer of all DC's and Bey's (pre-4) albums, tours, movies and side projects as well as being on the Grammy's committee where he mainly lobbied for Bey's albums and songs, then yes, he supported Bey like any family member would've.

Majmun

Mau ®;131050364 said:
If by "support" you mean being the manager and executive producer of all DC's and Bey's (pre-4) albums, tours, movies and side projects as well as being on the Grammy's committee where he mainly lobbied for Bey's albums and songs, then yes, he supported Bey like any family member would've.

Wow, that sounds like a manager.

Which celebrity doesn't have a manager? He wasn't even famous. Just a good manager, that also happened to be her father.

It really is starting to seem like BEYONCE, for all its pomp and circumstance, really had no impact.

--No hits
--No real timeless songs
--Only spawned copycats in the form of iTunes dumping a crap U2 album in everyone's lap

And considering the massive rabbit-out-of-a-hat she had to pull with the album's release to even get noticed, I'd say that the album's overall performance is quite the let-down. About as close to a flop as you can get without actually being one.

When 25 drops, I think the world will collectively forget that Bey did anything this past year.
Yes, BEYONCE is the Lotus of 2013.

Mau ®

Wow, that sounds like a manager.

Which celebrity doesn't have a manager? He wasn't even famous. Just a good manager, that also happened to be her father.

Well you said she's "self made". I was just proving she wasn't. She had her father managing her career from the start.

And Britneys family did the same. Until she went crazy and cut them off. Beyonce dependence on her father's strong hand is much more graceful and showing than how Britney came down. Een though he was a puppet master in the background, she still had to do everything on her own. Who's singing those songs? Who's dancing those performances? Who has to sit in the front of interviews and the media constantly pummeling her because she a successful black women and they can't stand that she has some sort of impact among a huge generation? She had to. While he was lining his pocket with her talent, she took her independence back as any one would do.

Feminism is something pretty much most women in general believe in and are constantly trying to separate themselves from because they are taught it has to do with hating men. It doesn't matter if she just learned what it's about today, tomorrow or yesterday. So did I and now knowing that she is not afraid to talk about it and push it, even if she is blasted as a femnazi , just shows she believes in it so much that she will put her own reputation at risk for a bunch of pressed men who hate seeing women (especially black) doing their own thing for once. Feminism isn't even popular and using that to shade her is tiring. You have to be some type of special to push an ideology that the world is still, as we speak, not willing to support.

You mean this year's VMAs that had a decrease in ratings 😂😂
How is Beyonce at fault for the ratings dropping? She delivered a great performance.

Beyoncé's "I Just Learned How to Spell 'Feminist' This Year!" performance was a flop.

All recycled material from her tour.

Half of it lipped.

They didn't even allow her to finish up on stage before cutting it off.
At least she's trying, you can't really say that Beyonce's performance was as bad as Taylor's Shake It Off mess.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

--No hits
--No real timeless songs

how is the weather in your parallel universe?

it's been raining here :(

royalan

I know that sometimes you wish I'd go away.
I know that sometimes you wish I'd go away.
But,I wish that you would know that I'm here...
T o s t a y
T o s t a y
Just nod your head and give up.
I ain't gon let you get away...

Touchdown

Banned
You all dragged Mariah for ha lip synching and photoshopping yet Beyonce has been photoshopping and lip synching all over the damn place lately and you all remain silent. Mess.

izMkackwHqixd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom