• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Such a feel-good anthem. I've had it in my head for days.

I don't care
And it feels so fuckin' good to say
I swear, that I don't care!
And everywhere
There are ordinary hearts that don't play fair
But I don't care

I don't care!
Ohhh
I don't care!
Oh no
I don't care!
Ohhh
I don't care!
Oh no

the italo-disco middle 8 too. it almost feels like it could be a nicola godberts song.

it's a sle, get into it

Touchdown

Banned
Mariah's microphone she'll be using for her Asian tour.
ec20fb7f.gif

large_10632378_565045743621765_1686630896_n.jpg

large_By_sIugIMAAnKiz.jpg

Mumei

No, I meant (jokingly) that she's focusing on outlying genres right now so that she can rebuild some reputation, and by the time she hits back with a pop song people will be anticipating the "return to form." Though I do believe that she's intentionally taking a break from pop music partly as a vacation from the "grind" but also to amp up more hype for her inevitable return to it.

Do you really think she's managing to rebuild her reputation with this effort?

Aguila

#ICONIC

I don't think Gaga's reputation has benefited much from C2C. If anything, I think she has further distanced herself from the general public and some of her fans.

Born This Way was her first blunder. She went for this weird style and these strange antics that the gp was not here for, but it was still a successful era because she was following the Monster Fame era when she was most popular. Then we had ARTPOP. THAT was supposed to be her "return to form" but it didn't work and now C2C.

Basically, she went from being really popular during the Fame Monster to trying to cater to a niche fanbase with Born This Way to a messy, tired EDM era with ARTPOP and now a jazz album. That is NOT how you should market yourself.

Yep. It's a talent showcase. She's showing people who weren't aware that she has vocal talent, and that she's multifaceted and can pull off different styles. It's a great contrast to the kitchen sink formula she's used before. Put everything on or take everything off, there's still a talented girl beneath it.

as I said, it's difficult to think that the world needed another compilation of artless jazz standards

Unnecessary but beneficial for the artist(s).

Zutroy

I think the only way Gaga can make a proper comeback is if she returns as a more conventional pop star. The public got sick of her weird antics. I mean she's always been a bit quirky, but she kept pushing the boundaries to keep in the headlines, and eventually people just got sick of it.

Floridian

I think the only way Gaga can make a proper comeback is if she returns as a more conventional pop star. The public got sick of her weird antics. I mean she's always been a bit quirky, but she kept pushing the boundaries to keep in the headlines, and eventually people just got sick of it.

Tbh, her gimmicks were kind of amusing back in 09/10/11 to witness. I still remember the meat dress. lol

Touchdown

Banned
Mau ®;132788768 said:
IIRC the last Mariah tour in the US was a bit of a flop, no?

The Memoirs tour? Wasn't a flop but it wasn't her best either, in terms of sales at least. The reviews were very positive though.

Mumei

Yep. It's a talent showcase. She's showing people who weren't aware that she has vocal talent, and that she's multifaceted and can pull off different styles. It's a great contrast to the kitchen sink formula she's used before. Put everything on or take everything off, there's still a talented girl beneath it.

In what possible universe is Cheek to Cheek a talent showcase for Gaga, Leibnizscribe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom