• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yep, those are more important that a forgettable #1 single

ibtNaue60zmASc.gif

Yes, the most played song on the radio EVER is forgettable. The fact that certain stans have deluded themselves into thinking that a WORLDWIDE SMASH single is somehow less of an achievement than a successful album is hilarious. Most of the buying public will remember a forgettable single before they'd remember a forgettable album track from a successful album. Forgettable #1 singles are what make careers.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
No, I'm just using TBTN because it's his most recent single. I think he was going for the same type of hit with Suit & Tie (I'm just less offended by TBTN as I was by S&T).

And I'm not so much comparing the sound and structure of BL and Justin's singles, or even who's better
(although Robin is, clearly)
. But both JT and Robin Thicke make Neo-Soul; that's the genre they're both operating in right now. I'm just noting that, while Justin has made the most obvious attempts at big radio success with that genre of music, it was Robin Thicke with BL that actually achieved it.

They're both neo-soul but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're both aiming at the same sound. And again, BL is much, much more of a radio-friendly unit-shifter than is anything that JT has released from 20/20 (even TBTN, the most radio-friendly single he's released so far). As I said, JT seems much more to be aiming at a laid-back, funkier sound like Get Lucky where as BL has much stronger pop influences.

I mean I'm sure that he wouldn't mind if one of his singles from 20/20 did as well as BL, and it would be obviously much less of a skidmark on the underpants on culture if JT had the most radio-successful single instead of BL, but to listen to the music JT has actually put out this year and say 'oh, clearly his sound was upstaged by Robin Thinne's attempt at the exact same thing' seems to be to be just completely false. I don't think putting out a similarly casually misogynistic and yawn-inducingly 'provocative' music video for Mirrors was a particularly great either from the point of view of trite comparison, either.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Oop

Lorde said:
She’s great, but I listened to that Lana Del Rey record and the whole time I was just thinking it’s so unhealthy for young girls to be listening to, you know: “I’m nothing without you.” This sort of shirt-tugging, desperate, don’t leave me stuff. That’s not a good thing for young girls, even young people, to hear.
http://www.thefader.com/2013/08/08/interview-lorde/#ixzz2bPOzgE4U

She has a point, but at least she says she's great.

Lorde, the role model for the next generation.

ibwFuvakgRaCBi.gif

royalan

They're both neo-soul but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're both aiming at the same sound. And again, BL is much, much more of a radio-friendly unit-shifter than is anything that JT has released from 20/20 (even TBTN, the most radio-friendly single he's released so far). As I said, JT seems much more to be aiming at a laid-back, funkier sound like Get Lucky where as BL has much stronger pop influences.

I mean I'm sure that he wouldn't mind if one of his singles from 20/20 did as well as BL, and it would be obviously much less of a skidmark on the underpants on culture if JT had the most radio-successful single instead of BL, but to listen to the music JT has actually put out this year and say 'oh, clearly his sound was upstaged by Robin Thinne's attempt at the exact same thing' seems to be to be just completely false. I don't think putting out a similarly casually misogynistic and yawn-inducingly 'provocative' music video for Mirrors was a particularly great either from the point of view of trite comparison, either.

So you don't think Justin was attempting to be radio friendly?

Just because Justin wasn't successful (or as successful as others) doesn't mean that it wasn't his plan all along. I just can't look at the promo and payola Justin and RCA put into 20/20 (seriously, this project has gotten more promotional backing than probably any other pop album by an act not named Michael Jackson ever. Seriously, ever. They allocated millions to promoting 20/20) and believe that JT wasn't wanting any of his singles to smash the way BL has. He's was clearly going for that level of radio dominance.

botty

Banned
Beyonce is shooting a video

When Beyoncé posted the cut seen ’round the world on Instagram last night, there was one person more shocked than most: Her stylist Kim Kimble.

Kimble, the star of We TV’s L.A. Hair and Beyoncé’s longtime stylist, had drawn up a whole hair concept for a video they were shooting together this weekend — and now she has to go back to the drawing board.

“I had a whole plan laid out … I wanted to do a retro ‘50s type of hair. I feel like there’s going to be a meeting soon!” she tells PEOPLE, laughing. “It won’t be the long, wavy, typical hair, but I’m really excited to do something different. No matter what, she knows I’ll give her what she wants!”

Hopefully it's for new music and not what we've heard.

i2ZcYfH0FHCYX.gif

Majmun

This fall is going to be crazy if Bey starts her new era as well.

New stuff from Bey, Gaga, Rihanna and Perra. POPGAF will fucking die.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So you don't think Justin was attempting to be radio friendly?

Just because Justin wasn't successful (or as successful as others) doesn't mean that it wasn't his plan all along. I just can't look at the promo and payola Justin and RCA put into 20/20 (seriously, this project has gotten more promotional backing than probably any other pop album by an act not named Michael Jackson ever. Seriously, ever. They allocated millions to promoting 20/20) and believe that JT wasn't wanting any of his singles to smash the way BL has. He's was clearly going for that level of radio dominance.

They allocated millions to promoting 20/20...

...and were rewarded with massive album sales and enough interest for a world tour from an artist that hasn't released a solo album for seven years. I think you're probably massively overlooking these things when you say, 'oh he didn't get the most radio-successful single ever, they must be so disappointed, he was obviously aiming for that'.

The singles from 20/20 are not as radio-friendly as JT's old stuff at all, and it's obvious from a first listen. It's part of the reason I'm not as interested in 20/20 as I was in, say, FutureSex/LoveSounds. Listen to Suit & Tie then go back and listen to SexyBack or Rock Your Body. The difference in immediacy, hook and catchiness is immediate.

The album is predominantly 5-8 minute long songs. The shortest is 4:39. That alone should give you a pretty good clue that the album wasn't intended to generate radio smashes. Then look at Blurred Lines (the album), the longest track is 4:56. They were clearly aiming for different things.

But again, I'm not sure what your point is, if it's that JT would have liked a massive radio smash then, yeah, I'm sure he would have. But if you look at 20/20 and the single choices (in what kind of parallel universe could Mirrors possibly have been a radio smash, exactly?), it seems pretty obvious that it wasn't intended to be radio fodder.

SaintZ

At least she changed her hairstyle for the cover
ibwFuvakgRaCBi.gif

I was thinking earlier today that I'd love for Avril to cut her hair and make an album full of piano ballads tbh.

I'm With You, When You're Gone, Wish You Were Here and Innocence are so flawless.

royalan

They allocated millions to promoting 20/20...

...and were rewarded with massive album sales and enough interest for a world tour from an artist that hasn't released a solo album for seven year. I think you're probably massively overlooking these things when you say, 'oh he didn't get the most radio-successful single ever, they must be so disappointed, he was obviously aiming for that'.

You're the only person implying disappointment here. At no point did I deny the success of Justin's album. You and me are talking about two different things. I look at Justin's radio promo and it seems obvious to me that he wanted a radio smash like BL. That was my only point with that comment. I almost don't even see what his album has to do with that, just as I don't really factor in the performance of Blurred Lines (the album) with Blurred Lines (the single).

And you keep harping on track length, which again also doesn't have anything to do with anything, because radio chops them up. It doesn't matter how long the album cut is; when it gets sent to radio DJs cut off the unnecessary outros, and JT is well aware of that. Saying Justin wasn't going for radio smashes because all of his album tracks are 6-8 minutes long is completely misguided. It doesn't matter. Look at the promo, that's what matters.

But again, I'm not sure what your point is, if it's that JT would have liked a massive radio smash then, yeah, I'm sure he would have. But if you look at 20/20 and the single choices (in what kind of parallel universe could Mirrors possibly have been a radio smash, exactly?), it seems pretty obvious that it wasn't intended to be radio fodder.

Uhhh...the same universe where it has nearly the same exact chord progression as the biggest hit of his solo career?

cory64

The only thing about Mirrors that isn't completely radio is its running time, which isn't even an issue because of how radio works.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You're the only person implying disappointment here. At no point did I deny the success of Justin's album. You and me are talking about two different things. I look at Justin's radio promo and it seems obvious to me that he wanted a radio smash like BL. That was my only point with that comment. I almost don't even see what his album has to do with that, just as I don't really factor in the performance of Blurred Lines (the album) with Blurred Lines (the single).

And you keep harping on track length, which again also doesn't have anything to do with anything, because radio chops them up. It doesn't matter how long the album cut is; when it gets sent to radio DJs cut off the unnecessary outros, and JT is well aware of that. Saying Justin wasn't going for radio smashes because all of his album tracks are 6-8 minutes long is completely misguided. It doesn't matter. Look at the promo, that's what matters.
Radio plays are just promo themselves to get people to buy singles, albums and tour tickets. Payola to play singles is just advertising money. If JT was so thirsty for a radio smash he wouldn't have put out an album full of 5-8 minute mid-tempo songs radio edits or no. End of.

And again, if he was so keen for a radio smash, why didn't he release an album full of shorter, radio-friendly bops like FutureSex/LoveSounds? We know he can do it and he would have stood much more of a chance of it.

It's a cute narrative to claim that Robin clocked JT who is obvious seething for a massive radio smash, but it doesn't square up with the music that JT put out. Payola or no.

Uhhh...the same universe where it has nearly the same exact chord progression as the biggest hit of his solo career?
And no hook at all.

royalan

Hasn't Gaga lyrics been mostly like this since the beginning tho?

Not nearly as inane.

Like, what does that line even mean? What is she trying to communicate? What's reading have to do with nostalgia? One doesn't have to enjoy reading, or even read anything, to experience nostalgia. And "nostalgia's for geeks"...who ever says that?

I can't right now...

royalan

Radio plays are just promo themselves to get people to buy singles, albums and tour tickets. Payola to play singles is just advertising money. If JT was so thirsty for a radio smash he wouldn't have put out an album full of 5-8 minute mid-tempo songs radio edits or no. End of.

And again, if he was so keen for a radio smash, why didn't he release an album full of shorter, radio-friendly bops like FutureSex/LoveSounds? We know he can do it and he would have stood much more of a chance of it.

It's a cute narrative to claim that Robin clocked JT who is obvious seething for a massive radio smash, but it doesn't square up with the music that JT put out. Payola or no.

And no hook at all.

Sis, you keep saying "No, No, No" when it's really "Yes, Yes, Yes". You're wrong. That's just it.

Follow me here: Track length has nothing to do with whether or not radio will play your music. Saying Justin wasn't going for radio hits because all of his tracks are 6-8 minutes long makes no sense as an argument. ESPECIALLY when almost ALL of the tracks follow this structure:

*3-4 Minutes of standalone song* + *3-4 minutes of tacked on outro*

Almost none of the tracks on 20/20 are produced to fill the space of 6-8 minutes. MOST are standard length songs where the production is just extended and JT rambles for another few minutes. Hell, a lot of the songs' outros don't even sport the same production as the track they're attached to, making you wonder what the hell the point was in the first place. In fact, I would argue that there is such clear perforation between the track and the outro in the case of most of the songs on 20/20 BECAUSE Justin wanted them to be easily chopped up for radio.

The only arguement you have that holds any weight is the idea that JT pushed so hard for radio just to promote his album. Frankly, I would agree with that. Not this "radio won't play it; it's too long!" nonsense.

I'm super pumped for Applause, but gurl these lyrics....

If only fame had an IV
Baby could I bear
Being away from you
Put it in here
I found the vein

give me that thing that I love
put your hands up make 'em touch

I stand here waiting
for you to bang the gong
to crash the critic saying:
is it right or is it wrong?

I overheard your theory
'nostalgia's for geeks!'
i guess sir,if you say so
some of us just like to read

What the fuck is going on with her writing? It's like she's going out of her way to make this song sound as awkward and alienating to sing as humanly possible.

Her writing's usually really hit or miss but every lyric she's tweeted so far for this album are just hilariously bad. Thankfully she has stellar delivery so it won't sound as dumb as it reads.

... Then again we take RA RA AH AH AHHH for granted at this point. lol

What the fuck is going on with her writing? It's like she's going out of her way to make this song sound as awkward and alienating to sing as humanly possible.

Her writing's usually really hit or miss but every lyric she's tweeted so far for this album are just hilariously bad. Thankfully she has stellar delivery so it won't sound as dumb as it reads.

I actually like the lyrics we got before today, especially the give me that thing that I love, put your hands up, make 'em touch lyrics. The ones we got today, though, it just doesn't seem like it would fit. But, yeah, I agree, she's most likely going to sing these lyrics so well, that they won't really matter what they are. One thing is for sure, I know I'll be bopping to this song like a mad man on the 19th. There's no way in hell she is going to release a crap song as the first single, so I'm not worried.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sis, you keep saying "No, No, No" when it's really "Yes, Yes, Yes". You're wrong. That's just it.

Follow me here: Track length has nothing to do with whether or not radio will play your music. Saying Justin wasn't going for radio hits because all of his tracks are 6-8 minutes long makes no sense as an argument. ESPECIALLY when almost ALL of the tracks follow this structure:

*3-4 Minutes of standalone song* + *3-4 minutes of tacked on outro*

Almost none of the tracks on 20/20 are produced to fill the space of 6-8 minutes. MOST are standard length songs where the production is just extended and JT rambles for another few minutes. Hell, a lot of the songs' outros don't even sport the same production as the track they're attached to, making you wonder what the hell the point was in the first place. In fact, I would argue that there is such clear perforation between the track and the outro in the case of most of the songs on 20/20 BECAUSE Justin wanted them to be easily chopped up for radio.

The only arguement you have that holds any weight is the idea that JT pushed so hard for radio just to promote his album. Frankly, I would agree with that. Not this "radio won't play it; it's too long!" nonsense.
Look neither of us are going to back down on this point since we're just repeating the same points over and over so I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Fey

Banned

I've been okay with the lyrics for Applause until the ones posted today. That verse is absolutely horrendous.

It sounds like she's trying so hard to be artistic and complex and ends up sounding like a fool (which is one of my main problems with BTW overall.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom