• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

Gaf-Hop xpost:
Today is the fifth anniversary of the best Kanye West album released to date, 808s & Heartbreak:
IcfdYUy.jpg

A flawed masterpiece. A seminal piece of work. Will Kanye ever deliver another piece of work as influential as this? Will we ever get a CDQ of the original, superior version of Welcome to Heartbreak? Only time will tell...

#autotunestillgoingstrong
#11/24/08
#gamewasneverthesameagain

His third best album
45ab1e3e.gif

The album that opened the doors for the likes of Drake
45ab1e3e.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mau ®;91132233 said:
Make sure to watch Rihanna receive her first (of many) ICON awards tonight at the AMA's as well as perform a remixed version of her best song ever: Diamonds.

What? Why on earth is she performing Diamonds? Why not What Now?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mau ®;91132893 said:
Because it's a flop and she knows it.

Also, like I said, Diamonds is her best song and she's aware of this fact.

Fair, at least she's not trying it with the trash.
I'm going to assume she'll be doing Monster too?

Yado

Gaf-Hop xpost:
Today is the fifth anniversary of the best Kanye West album released to date, 808s & Heartbreak:
IcfdYUy.jpg

A flawed masterpiece. A seminal piece of work. Will Kanye ever deliver another piece of work as influential as this? Will we ever get a CDQ of the original, superior version of Welcome to Heartbreak? Only time will tell...

#11/24/08

Paranoid
Say You Will
Pinocchio Story

The Vh1 Storytellers performances
i1sBmkKcCyLa5.gif

Tokubetsu

No, I'm not proud, more indifferent. I could go either way tbh.

I wouldn't even know where to start ;_;

Depends on how much you like rap? If you're mainly a pop person 808s is totally where I would start then go forward in time from there. Loop back once you're caught up just get some history because tracks like Jesus Walks and Gold Digger are/were massive.

Depends on how much you like rap? If you're mainly a pop person 808s is totally where I would start then go forward in time from there. Loop back once you're caught up just get some history because tracks like Jesus Walks and Gold Digger are/were massive.

Hmmm...okay. Thanks! I'll give it a whirl later today.

Tokubetsu

Mau ®;91135265 said:
Graduation is also a good album to start. It's his most accesible album IMO.

Actuall, you're spot on. In terms of accessability I think I'd probably rank them like this:

808s
Graduation
MBDTF
College Dropout
Late Registration
Yeezus

I maybe a bit harsh on LR as it's my least favorite Yeezus work.

Mau ®

Perra might be pregnant

Singer Katy Perry and John Mayer are reportedly planning on having children together.

The 'Roar' hitmaker is hoping to get pregnant with her 36-year-old boyfriend and the pair are thrilled about the prospect of starting a family, reported Contactmusic.
"Katy brought up the idea of having a baby a few weeks ago. He was really supportive and said he'd love her to be the mother of his child," a source said.

The 29-year-old is already said to be being cautious about her body during stunt when she performs live, such as when she appeared at the 2013 MTV Europe Music Awards in Amsterdam earlier this month, where she was suspended nine metres in the air.

"Their inner circle say it won't be long until there's happy news. She's already been taking precautions. Extra safety measures were taken during her EMA act, where she was suspended in the air. She didn't want to put her body under any strain," the source added.

Such happy news. Monsters better get the champagne ready kiiii

It's probably fake as phuck

Mau ®

Comeback kid Lily Allen has scored her third #1 on the UK Charts with "Somewhere Only We Know".

"Hard Out There" is also TOP 10.

Slay a bit, Ms. Rose Cooper.

tumblr_m6w479k5vZ1qzw9ai.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;91137357 said:
Comeback kid Lily Allen has scored her third #1 on the UK Charts with "Somewhere Only We Know".

"Hard Out There" is also TOP 10.

Slay a bit, Ms. Rose Cooper.

tumblr_m6w479k5vZ1qzw9ai.gif

Awesome! She deserves it.

The way things are shaping up with the massive venue sizes for next year 1D could be looking at a 200M+ tour.

April 30, 2014, Santiago, Chile, Estadio Nacional extra date added!
May 1, 2014, Santiago, Chile, Estadio Nacional
May 3, 2014, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Velez Sarsfield
May 4, 2014, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Velez Sarsfield extra date added!
May 6, 2014, Montevideo, Uruguay, Estadio Centenario
May 8, 2014, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Apoteose
May 10, 2014, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Palmeiras Arena
May 11, 2014 Sao Paulo, Brazil, Palmeiras Arena extra date added!

Ireland

May 23, 2014 Dublin Croke Park extra extra date added!
May 24, 2014 Dublin Croke Park
May 25, 2014 Dublin Croke Park extra date added!

United Kingdom

May 28, 2014 Sunderland Stadium Of Light
May 30, 2014 Manchester Etihad Stadium extra extra date added!
May 31, 2014 Manchester Etihad Stadium
June 1, 2014 Manchester Etihad Stadium extra date added!
June 3, 2014, Edinburgh Murrayfield
June 6, 2014 London Wembley Stadium extra extra date added!
June 7, 2014, London Wembley Stadium
June 8, 2014, London Wembley Stadium extra date added!

United States - JUST ANNOUNCED!
August 1, 2014, Rogers Centre, Toronto
August 4, 2014, Metlife Stadium, New Jersey
August 7, 2014, Gillette Stadium, Boston
August 11, 2014, Nationals Park, Washington DC
August 13, 2014, Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
August 16, 2014, Ford Field, Detroit
August 19 2014, LP Field, Nashville
August 22 2014, Reliant Stadium, Houston
August 24 2014, AT&T Stadium, Dallas/Fort Worth
August 27 2014, Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis
August 29 2014, Soldier Field, Chicago,
September 12 2014, Rose Bowl, Los Angeles
September 16 2014, University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix
September 19 2014, Sunbowl Stadium, El Paso
September 21 2014, Alamodome, San Antonio
September 23 2014, Bok Center, Tulsa
September 25 2014, Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans
September 27 2014, PNC Music Pavilion, Charlote
October 1 2014, Georgia Dome, Atlanta
October 3 2014, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa
October 5 2014, Sun Life Stadium, Miami

ibqSmLJa15tCsC.gif

Mau ®

Queen of acting stans for the Queen of Music
1074.gif

Hunger Games: Catching Fire star Jennifer Lawrence has confessed that she has a girl crush on pop star Rihanna.
Speaking as the second movie in the Hunger Games franchise is released, the actor admitted she was in awe of the singer.
"She was so beautiful and she had really, really soft skin and smelled really good and I was just like, 'Oh my God.'"
She joined Josh Hutcherson, who plays Peta Mellark, Liam Hemsworth, who plays Gale, and Elizabeth Banks, who plays Effie Trinket, to chat to Newsbeat's entertainment reporter Chi Chi Izundu and Radio 1's film critic Rhianna Dhillon about the film which is released on 21 November.

DominoKid

Gaf-Hop xpost:
IcfdYUy.jpg

#11/24/08

the album Welcome is better. the piano keys > synths.

Robocop is my favorite joint off that album.

Mumei

Despite What You May Think, Miley Cyrus and Rihanna Are Feminists

The girls are not all right. They’re alternately preoccupied with twerking, disseminating selfies, or some other form of narcissistic behavior, and it’s all pop music’s fault. That will be the year 2013’s epitaph and its most common refrain. The hyperbolic concern is nothing new, of course, but the din intensified this year as we reckoned with Beyoncé’s self-mythologizing and Rihanna’s girl-gone ethos and, well, Miley’s tongue.

The stream of tweets, trending topics, and think pieces was endless and largely forgotten, but the lasting takeaway is that, decades after Helen Reddy and Janet Jackson and Madonna, we are still grappling with how to properly deal with collective social anxiety about gender, sexuality, misogyny, and how all three are represented—or misrepresented, as the case may be—in pop culture. The questions went largely unresolved, but beyond the ephemera, conversations about misogyny in pop culture necessarily surfaced conversations about feminism among pop stars.

Things came to a head when Miley’s sexual self-expression qua empowerment took a turn for the unrelenting, and when Sinead O’Connor’s perhaps well-intentioned but ultimately patronizing attempt at advice sparked a nasty feud between the two. But before and since that incident, 2013 has been a banner year for watching the world’s biggest female pop stars wrestle publicly with their notions of womanhood and sisterhood: Beyoncé named her world tour after her husband; Rihanna unapologetically took back Chris Brown, broke up with him, and then seemingly redefined a woman-centric world for herself; Lorde bashed Selena Gomez’s feminist cred; Lily Allen bucked normalized beauty standards, though unfortunately at the expense of black women; Lady Gaga addressed her struggles with body image; Nicki Minaj spoke out continuously against misogyny in the music industry to little acclaim.

Rihanna, known as much for her relationship with Chris Brown and for being a "bad girl" as for her music, rose to the occasion this year. Among other things, she challenged the heterosexual male gaze by cultivating art and a persona—chiefly through Instagram—that is for and by women. On social media, her best friends Jenn and Melissa play the role of allies that loom larger than life, the three of them often dancing with and for one another without acknowledging neither the presence nor the absence of men, much like in the recently released video for “Pour It Up.” Whether or not Rihanna verbalizes it as such, it’s richly disruptive, as is her refusal to shrink to the persona of either Victim or Bitch.

Beyoncé, on the other hand, has historically defined her feminism as the dream of “having it all”: a duality between being a traditionally respectable woman (sexy but not sexual, bold but not arrogant) and a career powerhouse who is in charge of her image and business. When she began stepping out of character this year, in part by releasing a song premised on a boast in which she repeats the lyric "bow down bitches," criticisms were lobbed at her feminist credibility. (Among other things, the attacks on Rihanna and Beyoncé reflect the intrinsic, concrete links between gender and race.)

Interesting perspective. I'm not sure how I feel about being so judgment free, but it is interesting. More at the link.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I see 1D is copying Rihanna with yearly releases in late November. They better stan the QUEEN of POP and her release schedule! I hope they can have a single and an album at #1 at the same time like she did tho... Not everyone has that much power and impact and can do that.

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

I see 1D is copying Rihanna with yearly releases in late November. They better stan the QUEEN of POP and her release schedule! I hope they can have a single and an album at #1 at the same time like she did tho... Not everyone has that much power and impact and can do that.

I find it interesting that the yearly release schedule worked so well for two fundamentally different artists. Different audiences, one an albums artist, one a singles artist, male/female, etc.

HDD's initial projection is for them to be north of 500k debut week, but I have a feeling that number could go up.

Koodo

Banned
Do you ever wonder who's as hot, or hotter, than their faves.

I'd be impressed if any member of the Navy or Lambs can lay claim to that.

royalan

Rihanna, known as much for her relationship with Chris Brown and for being a "bad girl" as for her music, rose to the occasion this year. Among other things, she challenged the heterosexual male gaze by cultivating art and a persona—chiefly through Instagram—that is for and by women. On social media, her best friends Jenn and Melissa play the role of allies that loom larger than life, the three of them often dancing with and for one another without acknowledging neither the presence nor the absence of men, much like in the recently released video for “Pour It Up.” Whether or not Rihanna verbalizes it as such, it’s richly disruptive, as is her refusal to shrink to the persona of either Victim or Bitch.

They better STAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom