• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned

iOGR9RrzOTxG6.gif

Bladenic

RIP to the poor miscreants who were stupid enough to trade in their PS3s. Wish the main color theme was green though.

Also P4: Dancing All Night coming to clock Space Channel 5's career.

royalan

From Lady Gaga To Jay-Z, “Serious” Art Is Ruining Pop Music

Ironically enough, an article about pretension in pop that's pretty damn pretentious.

I think he misses the mark a bit towards the end, but I agree with the overall point he stated in the beginning:

Yet in the hands of Gaga and Hova, the ostensibly playful Koons isn’t a resource for deepening our sense of love or spontaneity. His specially commissioned sculpture of Lady Gaga is so denuded of life and humanity that it deadens ARTPOP before Gaga even has a chance to get out a note. In Jay-Z’s hands, Koons is like a bigger, better version of his own $800 black-leather-and-python Yankees hat (available now at Barneys!)—just another way to proudly flaunt that your relevance. Jay is so relevant he can drop four and a half million dollars on a Basquiat painting, and star alongside Pablo Picasso himself in a Google Glass project set to dazzle the Right People at Miami Art Week.

In the hands of Gaga and Jay-Z, names like Koons and Abramovic are just that: names. They're not elevating the music or the quality of the message by association. Hell, in the case of Gaga, the artists she name-drops have shit to do with the music at all. They're just used to heighten Gaga and Jay-Z's own sense of self-importance, to make them feel like they're doing something deeper. Name-dropping artists has become the "Crystal" and "Hennessy" for the new generation, except name-dropping expensive liquor actually communicated something to an audience, as superficial as the message was.

But, to put it simply, the GP doesn't give a shit about Jeff Koons and Marina Abramovic. And neither does Gaga or Jay-Z, considering how superficial the connections they weave are.

Enzon

Guuuyz, i saw M.I.A. last night, the show was amazing and. I also got to see the superior Knowles, Solange, and she was great, really sweet girl too!

I managed to snap a crappy pic in the middle of all that chaos

God is real and he loves me...

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

Mau ®

I just saw Catching Fire and it indeed was amazing but the ending was abrupt AF. I know thats the way the book ends but i still felt the movie went by super quick. Still amazing.

One of the best parts was when the movie ended and the Kings of Pop, Coldplay, started playing with the magnificent "Atlas". Were your faves given that kind of exposure at any point during the movie? The answer is no. They didn't.

cory64

Told you they'd revive your career but somebody lied
I ain't talking poultry when I say this chicken's friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied

Milchjon

He's right though.

Oh, I wouldn't have posted it if I disagreed.

But I'm a hater of contemporary art anyway. Not because it's "ugly" or (superficially) "pointless" or "anyone could do it", but because I feel like classic art has kinda lost a lot of its purpose and a lot of artists seem to not be willing to acknowledge this.. Technical and moral advancements have led to a point where there are other media is better suited to do a lot of what art has traditionally done (keeping record, criticism of the status quo, etc.). What's the point of you trying to "shock" someone who can't really be shocked?

And I also dislike it because I think there's one niche that isn't filled by art right now, and that's technical mastery. Impressing on a technical basis is something I think wouldn't lose its appeal as much as other aspects of arts, yet it's something a lot of artists seem to have conceded to designers and the like.

/misguided OT rant

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;91128347 said:
So I decided to check out that Natalia Kills album just to see how shit it was...

And I'm bopping to most of the tracks
awk.gif

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
iW6LrqhEPSMM5.gif

Mau ®

R&B Legend Mary J. Blige has PRAISED Rihanna for her getting the ICON award tonight at the AMA's:

Make sure to watch Rihanna receive her first (of many) ICON awards tonight at the AMA's as well as perform a remixed version of her best song ever: Diamonds.

Tokubetsu

Gaf-Hop xpost:
Today is the fifth anniversary of the best Kanye West album released to date, 808s & Heartbreak:
IcfdYUy.jpg

A flawed masterpiece. A seminal piece of work. Will Kanye ever deliver another piece of work as influential as this? Will we ever get a CDQ of the original, superior version of Welcome to Heartbreak? Only time will tell...

#autotunestillgoingstrong
#11/24/08
#gamewasneverthesameagain

royalan

Gaf-Hop xpost:
Today is the fifth anniversary of the best Kanye West album released to date, 808s & Heartbreak:
IcfdYUy.jpg

A flawed masterpiece. A seminal piece of work. Will Kanye ever deliver another piece of work as influential as this? Will we ever get a CDQ of the original, superior version of Welcome to Heartbreak? Only time will tell...

#autotunestillgoingstrong
#11/24/08
#gamewasneverthesameagain

I Approve This Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom