• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roy babe, how does it feel seeing that Beyonce is the most universally loved entertainer since Michael Jackson and that you've essentially lost the proverbial war?

It was really sweet of Beyonce to let the VMAs open for her with their Tour De Lessors, and it was nice to see Nicki Minaj looking nervous in three different outfits.

royalan

Two days from now it won't be Beyoncé's "Here's My Tour! (All Shit You Done Already Seen)" Performance that anybody will be talking about, and you know it. Medleys aren't memorable, and Beyoncé made it worse by performing sets ripped straight from her tour.

Two days from now it'll go down as Nicki, Taylor and Ariana's show, with Nicki likely benefiting the most from it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Two days from now it won't be Beyoncé's "Here's My Tour! (All Shit You Done Already Seen)" Performance that anybody will be talking about, and you know it. Medleys aren't memorable, and Beyoncé made it worse by performing sets ripped straight from her tour.

Two days from now it'll go down as Nicki, Taylor and Ariana's show, with Nicki likely benefiting the most from it.

The only reason anyone would remember Taylor is because of her embarrassing performance and her even more embarrassing dancing. Ariana opened the show and din't do anything of note so people wont give a shit about her.

This was Beyonce's and Nicki's show

The only reason anyone would remember Taylor is because of her embarrassing performance and her even more embarrassing dancing. Ariana opened the show and din't do anything of note so people wont give a shit about her.

This was Beyonce's and Nicki's show

They are the only ones that showed up. Taylor's dancing was just the comic relief for such a dead VMA'S.

At least, the real person winning is Blue Ivy and she didn't need a magazine spread in chanel to get attention.

Mumei

Is godel-sis currently unbanned?

Robyn's Primal Power

The Swedish singer Robyn took to the stage in Virginia on Thursday wearing … well, how to describe it? She kind of looked like the Mortal Kombat character Scorpion headed to a post-apocalyptic meth lab—neon-orange boxing shorts and a hoodie, makeshift plastic-junk boots and shin guards, translucent outerwear resembling a lab coat. Definitely ready for a fight.

As she shimmied and sang, song by song the layers of strange armor fell. By the time she got to her hit “Dancing on My Own,” she'd exposed her arms and, with her back turned, performed a teenager's pantomime of making out with oneself. Meanwhile, the audience—gayer and more sloshed than likely any that had previously descended on the suburban adult-contemporary temple of the Wolf Trap amphitheater—belted the first verse acapella.

There it was, the Robyn routine: spiky punk-chic exterior, with a cult cheering the reveal of a sensual pop soul.

More at the link~

Bey owned the VMAs, get over it

CHARLI XCX- BREAK THE RULES OFFICIAL VIDEO

yes_and_tears.gif

yes_and_tears.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Every media outlet today is talking about Beyoncé. Most people are only logging on to see Beyoncé's performance. Most people don't know that it's taken from her tour. Most people just see Beyoncé absolutely slaying the crowd with her performances.

It wasn't a groundbreaking pop-cultural event like Britney's 2007 Gimme More ultraslayage, but it was the diamond in the rough.

I haven't see Charlisus yet tho.

Mumei

Every media outlet today is talking about Beyoncé. Most people are only logging on to see Beyoncé's performance. Most people don't know that it's taken from her tour. Most people just see Beyoncé absolutely slaying the crowd with her performances.

It wasn't a groundbreaking pop-cultural event like Britney's 2007 Gimme More ultraslayage, but it was the diamond in the rough.

I haven't see Charlisus yet tho.

Oh, good. You are here. Click that link ^

What do you mean taken from tour?
The good sestra means nothing. Most of the choreography was brand new, and the parts that weren't (like the tantric chair dance) were used in different songs.

Plus, she didn't perform Mine, Jealous, No Angel, Rocket, Blow, XO, or Blue during the On the Run tour.

VMAs needed more peak-era Gaga or Britney; felt like Beyonce featuring a bunch of soft tacos. Given that Beyonce's performance was excellent but generally pretty reserved and safe, this year was overall kind of a dud. Maybe if we get Rihanna and Gaga and Madonna and co. back next year it'll pick back up on the watercooler moments.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Don't forget Robyn her EP with Christian Falk, make sure your wigs are securely anchored. Set Me Free is a slé.

Lol JLo seems to be saying to Gwen "oh no you di..."

And I still can't get over the fact that Break the Rules builds up to something epic but then has this shitty chorus. Classic Where Have You Been syndrom going on.

cory64

Ariana needs to put as much effort into her normal vocals as her showing off vocals, the contrast is striking.

The live arrangement of Black Widow was everything. Shame Iggy and Rita had to be involved.

Beyoncé made everyone else look like an amateur. That was one of the best televised performances of all time, shits on her Super Bowl from a great height. Naturally more of a victory lap than carving out a new iconic moment, but it was great.

"my beloved I love you" "the greatest living entertainer" hihihihi neither of them actually acknowledged each other as husband and wife

Zutroy

I'm surprised Taylor's vocals have became such a talking point. I don't think they really sound that bad, especially since she's strutting about the stage and dancing.

Maybe it's just in comparison to Beyonce's performance.

This isn't bad, it's a fast song and she's walking and twirling and such. And most people lip sync parts of the chorus if the backing track is what you hear most loudly... actually if you sing over the chorus backup sometimes it just doesn't sound as good.

I was expecting that to be terrible but I'm impressed she wasn't super pitchy. I think back at Fergie doing Fergalicious or Gaga doing Judas on SNL and THOSE were terrible.

cory64

The outfit and crispy weave and baggy eyes almost ruined it but everything else was so unbelievably on point that it didn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom