• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Madonna got it in 1986, though they did seem to restart the award when Knee was the first one to get it in like 10 years

Oh I always thought it was a new award that came about due to Mj's death :rip
Really though I don't think they need to give out another one next year leave a gap instead
watch it be kanye or eminem

cory64

WAIT a damn minute

Madonna got it BEFORE MJ yet they named the award after him (way before he died). The denial of female agency is real.

Pink getting something would be nice, it's boring knowing all the words to all the songs. I'll say a prayer for Rih tho.

Viral Sensation Betty Hew is releasing her album

Bv5XeRyCEAIAj_2.png
Tracklist:
1. Just Like Me
2. High Society
3. Glory Days
4. Somebody Loves You
5. Missing You
6. Better
7. Runaways
8. A Night to Remember
9. Heartbreak Dream
10. Alone Again
11. Dreaming About You
12. California Rain

Hmmm Pink is more than likely next, then after her and one more era from Rih, then her next. Right agree would be Katy and then Gaga, if she comes back with some grace for her next era.

WAIT a damn minute

Madonna got it BEFORE MJ yet they named the award after him (way before he died). The denial of female agency is real.

Umm hmm, now you are catching on.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Gaga deserving the award after only a handful of videos. Icon.

She really does
You can come for her actual musical output, and her chart performance but ALL her videos, sans Edge of Glory, have been been great, different and interesting.

Hmmm Pink is more than likely next, then after her and one more era from Rih, then her next. Right agree would be Katy and then Gaga, if she comes back with some grace for her next era.

Umm hmm, now you are catching on.

P!nk, Usher, Kanye West or Eminem.

After that Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Coldplay, Jennifer Lopez or Katy Perry.

Keep in mind that they typically hand those out to people that have a majorly hyped release in the same window, hence JT and Beyonce these last two years. I can see it for Eminem more than the others just because he usually gets a big focus at the VMAs, plus his albums sell like mad.

I can see it for Rihanna too though it feels premature to have her follow people like JT and Beyonce given that she's much more green. She's earned it as far as her music videos though, so she's an inevitable choice.

Katy Perry and Lady Gaga though, just depends on the timing of their eras and how well they do. I can see Gaga having an amazing era in 2015 and her medley would draw in a huge crowd. I can also see Katy having an amazing one but anything could happen. Katy's made a LOT of progress with the Prism era but she's still a few steps behind Gaga in this race I think, even though Gaga pretty much fell back in 2013.

royalan

I am re-getting my life to Beyonce's performance

Will anyone be able to top this?

JT topped it last year. Sorry, and I hate JT, but Beyoncé didn't top him.

FACTUAL reasons why:

--He sang live the ENTIRE time. Bey did for the most part, but they're were spots where she was clearly lipping.

--on top of that, there was way more choreography in his set.

--The entire set was a CUSTOM MADE MOMENT just for the VMAS. Not just stitched together pieces of refuse from his tour. He actually came up with something NEW as a tribute to his fans.

--he included songs from his entire catalogue, not just his latest album. This is way more appropriate for a Lifetime Achievement performance. JT made his performance a celebration of his career, Beyoncé made it about reminding people she had an album out.

--he brought out N*Sync. That alone makes him the winner. We can shade JT now, but lets not pretend we weren't all touching ourselves to N*Sync back in the day.

And you can be mad. But you know I'm right.

cory64

The Murad is a far better dress and the red looks great on her. But the point here is, she’s got her public uniform and she doesn’t deviate much. It’s why Bey never became a style icon in the way someone like Rihanna has. She’s just not that into experimenting with her style. She’s got a product to sell and she’d like to keep the packaging as consistent as possible. It’s very Cher-in-her-heyday.

I agrih with everything in that article.

Matt_

When was the last time she was seen in public with her hair down?
Does she have hair to put down?

cory64

But hold on Roy, didn't Bey have a career-spanning medley and a DC reunion at the super bowl MONTHS before JT did the exact same thing at the VMAs? Granted NSYNC have been dead for much longer and DC have been together a couple times in recent years, but still.

JT topped it last year. Sorry, and I hate JT, but Beyoncé didn't top him.

FACTUAL reasons why:

--He sang live the ENTIRE time. Bey did for the most part, but they're were spots where she was clearly lipping.

Choosing to lip certain riffs or lines versus singing live tends to be more of a conscious choice that's oriented toward how the vocals sound live. I said this about the Taylor Swift performance, where she mimed certain parts of the chorus. The studio version has about 6 vocal layers in the chorus, adding her own live feed over it can sound unflattering because one is bound to drown out the other to some capacity. So when you stack up a studio/polished vocal which is fuller and has more vocal layers versus a live vocal which isn't as polished, it makes more sense to let the big studio sound sell the chorus. Beyonce does this for certain choruses where her vocals are multiplied or if there are vocal jump cuts (think the verses in Sweet Dreams, i.e. one line cutting into another, which you can't replicate live). It's perfectly reasonable and doesn't take away from the fact that Beyonce can sing the fuck out of anything if she wants to. Doesn't mean she has to at every cost especially if the song ends up sounding worse.

--on top of that, there was way more choreography in his set.

JT's set list was much more dance-focused and didn't really have any slow melodic moments. BEYONCE as an album is much more mid-tempo all the way through and only has a few moments where heavy choreography makes sense to carry out. Outdancing JT with a setlist that doesn't need a lot of dancing wouldn't make any sense.

--The entire set was a CUSTOM MADE MOMENT just for the VMAS. Not just stitched together pieces of refuse from his tour. He actually came up with something NEW as a tribute to his fans.

This is also bullshit. He still did similar choreography to the staging he's done before, and hardly relied on massive set changes throughout like Beyonce's did. Additionally, he didn't have a massive headlining tour going on at the same time (his co-headline summer tour with Jay-Z ended before the show aired). I'm sure if the 20/20 Experience Tour started during or before that performance then he would have used some staging from it because it makes sense for timing and rehearsal. And nice try with the "tribute to his fans" slip-in; you can argue that Beyonce drawing inspiration from an expensive ass tour and performing it to a free audience is a nice gesture for her fans that can't afford to see her bougie behind in person. But I tend to not twist information recreationally like you do. :p

--he included songs from his entire catalogue, not just his latest album. This is way more appropriate for a Lifetime Achievement performance. JT made his performance a celebration of his career, Beyoncé made it about reminding people she had an album out.

Or Beyonce reminding people that she lives in the present and doesn't need to rely on ubiquitous hits from her past to draw up audience adoration or to remind people why she's great. Everyone's selling something and she wanted to sell her brand in the most effective way. Considering the personal the direction in BEYONCE it makes sense for her to do that artistically. Moreover considering how BEYONCE is a "visual" album first and foremost it's an obvious performance choice for an awards show geared toward celebrating music videos.

--he brought out N*Sync. That alone makes him the winner. We can shade JT now, but lets not pretend we weren't all touching ourselves to N*Sync back in the day.

Meh, Beyonce did that at the Super Bowl, it's an easy gimmick that gets fans giddy but I don't give two shits about who you worked with before you became great. Move along, lessors.

And you can be mad. But you know I'm right.

I don't know girl...

I use Love Me Harder feat. The Weeknd. It's a truly great track. Break Free is still a banger.

Overall, My Everything is a solid pop album. But let me not pretend I won't largely move on when someone better aka the Lord releases Her album.

An interesting article by Mr. Popjustice in The Guardian about pop fanbases.

The more awareness there is of an artist, the more traction they have on social media; the more fans they have, the more they can make from endorsements. So it's alarming to listen to some artists talking candidly in private about their fans. Backstage, lovingly purchased gifts are mocked or scooped into black bin bags. Musicians are disappointed that their fans are too old or embarrassed that their fans are too young. Fans are too gay or too female or too ugly. Sometimes, despite huge resources being spent whipping them into a frenzy, fans are seen as too intense and too annoying. Some artists would argue that they really do love their fans. Would they choose to spend a night in the pub with these fans? No. Do they want these fans to believe they would? Yes.

As digitally native pop entities who each arrived in the mid-to-late 2000s, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Katy Perry enjoy rich online relationships with their fans. Naturally, it falls to Gaga to provide a cautionary example of fan/artist symbiosis getting out of hand, to the point where she created her own walled garden, LittleMonsters.com, instilling an unhealthy us-and-them mentality that has only intensified with Gaga's diminishing success and may only end with a scenario best described as Pop Waco.

Perhaps a full-on, real-life siege is how all fan and artist relationships should reach their conclusion. It would certainly be a strong test of commitment – on both sides.

I wonder who falls where on the spectrum of dis-ingenuity?

Bladenic

I use Love Me Harder feat. The Weeknd. It's a truly great track. Break Free is still a banger.

Overall, My Everything is a solid pop album. But let me not pretend I won't largely move on when someone better aka the Lord releases Her album.

why must the lord torture us so by releasing the album 2 months from now

I hope we get 2 more songs before that

B-Dex

Some local hews from a flop reality tv show. They don't even play their songs here. Katy ain't being shady. I bet a large chunk of people don't know who they are.

Vazduh

Overall, My Everything is a solid pop album. But let me not pretend I won't largely move on when someone better aka Charli XCX releases Her album.

I still have Love me Harder on repeat, love love love it. I'd have to give the rest of the album a listen to see if there's something usable.
Probably not, right?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
help @ people still trying to get filth hewmoany going

any chance they had was punched irrevocably out by little mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom