• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Requeim said:
You can't exactly prove something that's purely subjective. You obviously thought it was the most heart-wrenching soulful performance of all time, i thought it was okay. Also, labeling any criticism as trolling has been a common occurence in the portal threads. I'm really sorry i don't consider it the best game of all time, i'll just leave now.
Those were your words, not mine. As far as emotion, general deliverance, and the writing itself, Wheatley has the best voice acting of any character in a long, long time. Perhaps ever. But that's wholly because of the writing and how natural Steve Merchant made it feel.

StuBurns said:
That line is just some random crap that caught on, I don't think Erik even wrote it, I believe it was Kim. Some of the writing in the first game is incredible.

"That thing you burned up isn't important to me. It's the fluid catalytic cracking unit. It made shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero."

Absolutely on par with the standard of Portal 2, if not better.
I had a lot more laugh-out-loud moments in Portal 2 while Portal just had me grinning most of the time.

Dax01 said:
I don't think any of the writing felt forced at all. There are so many great lines in Portal 2, whereas Portal 1 had "The Cake is a lie."

There were more than that in Portal 1. I do agree that portal 2 topped 1's performance but lets not forget the banter that started it all...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
darkpaladinmfc said:
It's short, but it's also PORTAL 2 SO BUY.

Short? HAHAHA, no way, man! That thing is quite long, specially if you take in account the co-op.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
I had a lot more laugh-out-loud moments in Portal 2 while Portal just had me grinning most of the time.
I think the writing is a little more on the nose this time, as the secret of the first game is out of the bag from the start, but I can't really say, it's a coin flip which I prefer in terms of the writing I think, in terms of everything actually.

ZephyrFate said:
I mean, you can say this, but until you can prove why it just seems akin to subtle trolling.
of course if you've had a bountiful exposure to merchant in any of the podcasts or shows he's been in, he's really just being himself in Portal 2. watch some Extras for a good idea

that doesn't make his character less enjoyable, but it does make the characterization of Wheatley less special. to anyone familiar with merchant, it would be like picking out nolan north in a game.. irony aside

vazel

Banned
Requeim said:
You can't exactly prove something that's purely subjective. You obviously thought it was the most heart-wrenching soulful performance of all time, i thought it was okay. Also, labeling any criticism as trolling has been a common occurence in the portal threads. I'm really sorry i don't consider it the best game of all time, i'll just leave now.
Portal threads? Try any OT in its first month. I think your opinions are wrong but you still have a right to share them. Just don't think you're gonna get away with it unchallenged in the game's own OT especially in its first month of release.

Requeim

TheExodu5 said:
That's precisely what it sounds like.

My two favorite games of the generation are Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls, they're just niche as fuck, right? Nobody likes those games besides me.

TheExodu5 said:
Oh, now I see.

I worded that wrong. Valve has innovated a lot of crazy multiplayer stuff, i'm not talking about wanting a tacked on competetive call of duty style multiplayer. Something where you couldn't hurt each other and had to make use of portals to force people into environmental traps perhaps.

GlamFM

Banned
Finished. GOTY contender for sure. Valve is all kinds of awesome. Will start a second play through with dev commentary tomorrow and co-op as soon as my brother catches up.

oh yeah btw - took me 9 hrs. I guess I will get around 4 hrs out of co-op.
Good value in my opinion.

Juan29.zapata said:
Short? HAHAHA, no way, man! That thing is quite long, specially if you take in account the co-op.
Well it depends on how quick you are at solving puzzles, I'd say 6-8 hours for a first playthrough, and 3-4 for co-op.

Requeim said:
My two favorite games of the generation are Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls, they're just niche as fuck, right? Nobody likes those games besides me.

I worded that wrong. Valve has innovated a lot of crazy multiplayer stuff, i'm not talking about wanting a tacked on competetive call of duty style multiplayer. Something where you couldn't hurt each other and had to make use of portals to force people into environmental traps perhaps.
Valve has already gone through numerous multiplayer ideas with Portal, above and beyond anything you could probably even come up with.

It didn't work.

So... move on?

CyReN

Metalmurphy said:
This game really blows my mind sometimes...

http://i.imgur.com/g94h3.jpg
(SPOILER WARNING: Might contain the solution to a puzzle)

Every time I see that I think this I think of
Nick_Movies_poster.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
It's not THE solution, but once you see that you know what the solution is, that's what I meant :p
That puzzle was one that confused me for a while, the first half was pretty obvious but there is a line of portalable panels under the exit and I thought I had to do something different than I did. It was one of those that made me feel like an idiot instead of pleased.

Sent

big ander said:
I noticed this my first playthrough, but none of my friends would believe me! They thought I was lying.

I saw that too, but is Atlas around in SP too except for the obvious part?

The ending of multiplayer is not very good. The last puzzle was mind numbingly easy, while most of the puzzles in the rest of that level had been absolutely ridiculous in difficulty. And the end was kind of bland. What other "science" is there for the robots, when Glados now has hundreds of thousands of clones to do whatever she wants with them

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Some people want more 'twitchy' puzzles? Really? Easily the worst part of the original.

Medalion

Banned
I may be asking for a spoiler here but please spoiler it anyawys

Are there multiple endings or even slightly different endings to this game?

For those who have played through the game over and over and beaten it I mean

Medalion said:
I may be asking for a spoiler here but please spoiler it anyawys

Are there multiple endings or even slightly different endings to this game?

For those who have played through the game over and over and beaten it I mean
No

Sanic

NinjaFridge said:
Some people want more 'twitchy' puzzles? Really? Easily the worst part of the original.

I do, along with generally more challenging puzzles. The only part of the game that actually posed a bit of a challenge was (chapter number)
Chapter 7
, and one puzzle in the following chapter.

I had a question that's been on my mind since I got to that part

On the section where Wheatly saves you from testing, can you actually beat that chamber? Not the one Glados wants to trick you into, but the one right before it. Wheatly opens the wall and you escape without beating it. Is it possible to beat it, and what happens?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Metalmurphy said:
Anyone else noticed this? lol

http://i.imgur.com/zpc86.jpg
(Spoiler warning: Not really a spoiler but it shows something you might have missed)

That's singleplayer btw.
At first I wasn't paying enough attention and it freaked me out, I thought it was
a future version of Chell because of that minor time travel talk Cave does in the recordings + the "don't listen to your future self" poster
, lol. I had to load the game and check again.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just played through all of co-op with a friend (in 1 sitting D: ). So, so good. There were so many sequences which were just glorious to set up and watch unfold... I can only imagine what madness is in store for co-op as DLC or when the SDK is released into the wild.

Gonna work on the rest of the co-op achievements next...

ExMachina said:
Just played through all of co-op with a friend (in 1 sitting D: ). So, so good. There were so many sequences which were just glorious to set up and watch unfold... I can only imagine what madness is in store for co-op as DLC or when the SDK is released into the wild.

Gonna work on the rest of the co-op achievements next...
I have no idea how I am going to get some of those co-op achievements with random strangers. Some of them are just so geared towards friends that it's going to be hard to get them for me.

Zomba13

balladofwindfishes said:
I had a question that's been on my mind since I got to that part

On the section where Wheatly saves you from testing, can you actually beat that chamber? Not the one Glados wants to trick you into, but the one right before it. Wheatly opens the wall and you escape without beating it. Is it possible to beat it, and what happens?
Nope. She gasses you and you get an achievement. There is also nothing behind the door, it's just a room with some plants planted in it.

Zomba13 said:
Nope. She gasses you and you get an achievement. There is also nothing behind the door, it's just a room with some plants planted in it.
Not that room, the one right before it. The one where Wheatly saves you by opening the wall in the chamber.
Unless they're the same room, just moved?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fuu said:
At first I wasn't paying enough attention and it freaked me out, I thought it was
a future version of Chell because of that minor time travel talk Cave does in the recordings + the "don't listen to your future self" poster
, lol. I had to load the game and check again.

I was lucky enough to see it in my first playthrough,
and thought that the co-op campaign happened parallel to the SP, but then I was corrected by some comments from Wheatley

Something related to the ARG happening in 1 minute

09:00 -- Welcome to the Aperture Science Surprise Deployment Initiation System Bootup Sequence.
09:00 -- Performing initiation scanning protocol...
09:00 -- Setting system clock time: July 14th, 1973.
09:01 -- Calculating reticular splines...
09:01 -- Beginning boot sequence from master boot sector 16...
09:01 -- Checking phase 4 memory...
09:01 -- Loading SDisOS...
09:02 -- Boot sequence complete.
09:02 -- Initiating SDisOS core functionality...
09:02 -- Preparing surprise deployment protocol...
09:03 -- Initiating surprise deployment protocol...
09:03 -- Deploying surprise in... 3... 2... 1...

And it locked up...

EDIT: It's just a thank you letter to everyone who participated in the ARG.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
balladofwindfishes said:
It's just the guys at the Portal ARG thanking Valve for the game.

And here I was expecting the first batch of free DLC.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
That would be insanely fast by Valve standards. Let's be real here.

Hey, you never know! There's always a first time for anything.

Stallion Free said:
That would be insanely fast by Valve standards. Let's be real here.
Team Fortress 2 Oct 2007
Goldrush Pack April 2008

L4D Nov 2008
Survivor DLC April 2009

L4D2 Nov 2009
Passing April 2010 (although it was announced in December)

So yea, we have at least 6 months before our first major DLC.

Zomba13

balladofwindfishes said:
Not that room, the one right before it. The one where Wheatly saves you by opening the wall in the chamber.
Oh right. Still nope. IIRC there is nothing behind there when you noclip through.

Fuu

Juan29.zapata said:
I was lucky enough to see it in my first playthrough,
and thought that the co-op campaign happened parallel to the SP, but then I was corrected by some comments from Wheatley
I saw it on my first time too but I was a bit far and only caught a glimpse of something moving. Glad there's autosave so I could immediately reload the chamber and zoom on it, haha.

balladofwindfishes said:
I have no idea how I am going to get some of those co-op achievements with random strangers. Some of them are just so geared towards friends that it's going to be hard to get them for me.
I worry a bit too, even if I'm going to play with someone I know he probalby won't feel like doing all of them. I haven't checked the entire achievements list yet but I really feel like going for 100% in this. I'll try to get most of the co-op ones with my brother and then probably get some GAF help if he gets bored midway (and for stuff like "hug 3 different people from your friends list").

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Articalys said:
A thought just occurred to me.
Isn't it impossible for 100% of all players to get the Professor Portal achievement?
Good thing that far less than 100% of players give a shit about achievements/trophies.

Articalys said:
A thought just occurred to me.
Isn't it impossible for 100% of all players to get the Professor Portal achievement?
Technically...

although I don't think that is a problem that will actually show itself for at least another decade.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
balladofwindfishes said:

No, if you'll recall the power went out, which destroyed the light bridge necessary to solve the puzzle.

Fuu

Stallion Free said:
Good thing that far less than 100% of players give a shit about achievements/trophies.
lol, I just now read the requirements for that one and I'm already not giving a shit about getting all the achievements anymore. Oh well.

Top Bottom